• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A Political Thread pt. 2

Whatever happened leading up to it is irrelevant really

Human Rights Act 1998 (force must always be proportionate, legal, officers are accountable and it must have been necessary)

He'd been tasered and was no longer a threat, kicking him in the face was completely unneccessary and, by the look of that video, more a reaction to being put on the floor himself rather than anything about his colleague having her nose broken.
It's not irrelevant. He's been jumped by a group of people in a high stress environment. Where both he and his colleagues have been put on the floor.

His later actions were wrong but i can understand why his decision making was wrong and why he got red mist. Assaulted from behind, punched and put on the floor. For a brief moment he's exposed and probably scared. Would his mental state at the time be taken as mitigation i don't know tbh.

He'll be dealt with and have to except his punishment. I'd hope all involved are equally punished.

Last edited:
Yeah he shouldn't have done it but if I had seen a female colleague get repeatedly punched in the face I'm not sure I wouldn't have laid the boot in to be honest.

It's not irrelevant. He's been jumped by a group of people in a high stress environment. Where both he and his colleagues have been put on the floor.

His later actions were wrong but i can understand why his decision making was wrong and why he got red mist. Assaulted from behind, punched and put on the floor. For a brief moment he's exposed and probably scared. Would his mental state at the time be taken as mitigation i don't know tbh.

He'll be dealt with and have to except his punishment. I'd hope all involved are equally punished.
While all that may be true, it's his job to be better. If he was a random guy who then got the opportunity because his girlfriend had been punched then it would be more understandable. However, he's supposed to be a trained professional and he should stay in control regardless of what happened, especially one the culprit is restrained.

Yeah he shouldn't have done it but if I had seen a female colleague get repeatedly punched in the face I'm not sure I wouldn't have laid the boot in to be honest.
Which is an understandable human reaction.

But I think that's what people are suggesting as it implies some sort of nobility, whereas it looks more like he didn't like being put on his arse.

People here are all looking at the events leading up to it but the police aren't held to those standards. Proportionate and reasonable… irrespective of what they've done previously, kicking someone who has been subdued in the face is neither of those things.

Which is an understandable human reaction.

But I think that's what people are suggesting as it implies some sort of nobility, whereas it looks more like he didn't like being put on his arse.

People here are all looking at the events leading up to it but the police aren't held to those standards. Proportionate and reasonable… irrespective of what they've done previously, kicking someone who has been subdued in the face is neither of those things.
Like I said he shouldn't have done it but like you said it's a human reaction and although he is a policeman he is also human

While all that may be true, it's his job to be better. If he was a random guy who then got the opportunity because his girlfriend had been punched then it would be more understandable. However, he's supposed to be a trained professional and he should stay in control regardless of what happened, especially one the culprit is restrained.
He's meant to yes but no amount of training can prepare for how people react and to be perfect. You have to hope they are. You don't get trained on how to react on being punched in the face.

It's easy facing someone with a knife in a classroom for example. Not so easy at 3am down a dark alley, your nearest back ups 10 mins away and you are on your 7th straight night shift.

Last edited:

I know it's Own Jones but it has an interesting point about the £20 billion black hole that is being thrown around, and how it wasn't actually this big unknown Labour are now claiming it is.

I'm going to give Labour a bit more benefit of the doubt but not happy with the idea that what's been voted in is just more Tory but without so much of the insanity.

I know it's Own Jones but it has an interesting point about the £20 billion black hole that is being thrown around, and how it wasn't actually this big unknown Labour are now claiming it is.

I'm going to give Labour a bit more benefit of the doubt but not happy with the idea that what's been voted in is just more Tory but without so much of the insanity.

It's yes and no. Yes, they knew most of the information, but also some of it they couldn't know until they were in power. Yes it's also politics, but it's nothing new. The Tories spent their whole time in power blaming the last Labour government for wrecking the economy and people believed it.

For me it's a nothing article, but then I follow politics more.

I think the black hole was known where the issue has been is a proper fine tooth comb of where the cuts could be made.

Plus things like Rwanda costing more than was being published.

Owen Jones could tell me the sky is blue and I'd still want a second opinion

He's shown multiple times he doesn't care about the facts of matters so long as he can stick his oar in and be a professional contrarian
Hopefully the longer Labour are in government the less attention he garners and he can fade away

But none of those things are happening here.
Totally missing the point. Which is that what you're taught in a classroom and in textbooks doesn't always happen in the real world. It should, but humans are involved so it doesn't. Ever thumped someone on a rugby pitch?

From the footage we've seen, both parties have behaved appallingly and must be held accountable for their actions.

The reaction though before anything like the full 'facts' had been established is disturbing. Social media, instant reaction etc. There is always context, not justification, but context.

Latest posts