• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2024 Six Nations] Ireland vs Scotland - 16/03/24

Thornley seems to think so, or at the very least he'll be stepping back from the captains role.

Exceptional commitment and a guy who eeked out every last bit of potential he had. He was essentially dropped by Farrell twice in the last WC cycle for better athletes and ground his way back.

Was far from my favourite and when claims of Ireland's best 6 ever come about I'll disagree strongly but I respect him massively and that should be important to him, more so than anything else today.

I was frequently a doubter and was distracted by bigger, more destructive carriers, like a Ferris or SOB.

But simply cannot question the amount of fight he brings to the pack and his attitude - both to keep himself in the team and his impact in the team itself. Stand up and fight applies very well.

Agree - little bit concerned the Irish pack won't have much "dog" in it when he goes. I'm a Leinster fan but I do think there is a bit of a soft underbelly with their players - class operators but sometimes you need that grit.

I was frequently a doubter and was distracted by bigger, more destructive carriers, like a Ferris or SOB.

But simply cannot question the amount of fight he brings to the pack and his attitude - both to keep himself in the team and his impact in the team itself. Stand up and fight applies very well.
Depends on balance like when Ferris played 6 he had less destruction so his attributes were needed then. And I hate the mention of Ferris name as @Leonormous Boozer mentioned best ever 6 for Ireland. (That debate for another day) but Ferris could have easily had that if he stayed fit. I think we never saw his true ceiling. That why I hate hearing his name as I loved his style.
But I think the trick is finding balance when POM was dropped previously I think they tried fit Conan in and CJ to 6 wss 1 time but balance was all wrong that is the key. Like Baird may not be the next up at 6 as he might not have the doggedness to balance but we have the players it just matching the combination right

Keenan out. Larmour starts at 15

Crowley a big doubt. Ross Byrne out there too

I'm expecting this to be a refereeing disaster, it's Carley and Dickson

O'Mahony struggling to sing the anthems and looks tearful.

The rumours of his retirement might be right.

Is Ireland's call being sung with more effort than the national anthem?

Was going to rag on Ireland for the stupid 5m lineout but Scotland took the cake at the subsequent one