• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2024 Six Nations] Ireland vs Scotland - 16/03/24

As predicted. Get the mole out of the squad.

Considering he looked to be unconscious for a few moments, I am stunned that Nash is passed fit to play. To be clear, I am in no way suggesting skullduggery, but it does make me wonder about the concussion protocol.

Yeah, looked like the fencing response too to me. Shocked he's back. But I have no idea how these things work.

Will be enough to beat the Scots but will be a big test. Don't think Baird is at international lock level yet. Not doubting his inclusion as I think he is unlucky not to start at 6 but we can't afford Beirne or McCarthy to have an off day. Weather supposed to be bad so hopefully we wear them down and grind it out

GIoe-0iW4AEERA5.jpeg

Who is Stafford McDowall and how will he go opposite Bundee?

Looks another one where the back five in our pack will make it less than competitive.

Scotland to start strong, clean and clinical, Russell moving the ball back and forth, probing defences in a thing of beauty, team working well together with excellent coordination. Beautiful kick to find space, VDM closes down the clearance, Scots to surge forward. Forwards get the ball, beautiful silky passes, Scotland score easily.

2nd Minute Starts:

Christie tackles Russell by mistake, Schoeman falls over and crushes White to death, Jones passes to Van der Flier because one Saffer looks much like another and VDF sounds the same as most of his Scotland team mates. Kinghorn spills a long range ball on his 5 yard line, Van Der Merwe gathers at top speed and scores between his own posts, Scotland concede 93 penalties without anyone in green being anywhere near them, Russell stands and screams at his forwards, Ireland score 300 points and Zander Fagerson punches out the ref.

3rd Minute Starts:....

Scotland to start strong, clean and clinical, Russell moving the ball back and forth, probing defences in a thing of beauty, team working well together with excellent coordination. Beautiful kick to find space, VDM closes down the clearance, Scots to surge forward. Forwards get the ball, beautiful silky passes, Scotland score easily.

2nd Minute Starts:

Christie tackles Russell by mistake, Schoeman falls over and crushes White to death, Jones passes to Van der Flier because one Saffer looks much like another and VDF sounds the same as most of his Scotland team mates. Kinghorn spills a long range ball on his 5 yard line, Van Der Merwe gathers at top speed and scores between his own posts, Scotland concede 93 penalties without anyone in green being anywhere near them, Russell stands and screams at his forwards, Ireland score 300 points and Zander Fagerson punches out the ref.

3rd Minute Starts:....

The only Scotland player who VDF sounds like is Ben Healey who isn't even in the 23.

I have a pretty similar accent to VdF and I hope I sound more like a South African than someone from Tipperary.

You all sound the same to us outsiders. Although I can often recognise a Cork accent having listened to Roy Keane's rants far more than I should have.

Trying to remember the last time I saw McDowell, think he's not bad from memory but not seen for a while - opportunity to show what he can do I hope. Does seem like Fione Huipolotou is the middle 3 that gets Scotland's back 3 scoring, Sione is a big loss and a capable player.

Kinda bored with this co-captain p!sh, one clear decision maker would be sensible and tbh Finn is more than capable and seems to get on the refs good side unlike Richie did.

Somewhere I heard it mentioned that the big thing holding Scotland back is that there is not enough "winners" in the team ie people who have the been there done that experience of big campaign performances through a season. Gregor is a capable coach and I have no complaints with the improvements made, however a new face might be what is needed.

Who is Stafford McDowall and how will he go opposite Bundee?

Looks another one where the back five in our pack will make it less than competitive.
Classic big centre. Didn't seem to be doing much until 22/23 but has looked fairly good for Glasgow since. Not convinced he'll amount to much more than a crash ball option internationally, but I've never been able to pick a player.

Trying to remember the last time I saw McDowell, think he's not bad from memory but not seen for a while - opportunity to show what he can do I hope. Does seem like Fione Huipolotou is the middle 3 that gets Scotland's back 3 scoring, Sione is a big loss and a capable player.

Kinda bored with this co-captain p!sh, one clear decision maker would be sensible and tbh Finn is more than capable and seems to get on the refs good side unlike Richie did.

Somewhere I heard it mentioned that the big thing holding Scotland back is that there is not enough "winners" in the team ie people who have the been there done that experience of big campaign performances through a season. Gregor is a capable coach and I have no complaints with the improvements made, however a new face might be what is needed.
That it. Is Gregor a capable coach?
I haven't seen it

On reflection I'm slightly grumpy. If you can pick Garry Ringrose you pick Garry Ringrose.

I don't think there's much that could change my mind about this, maybe if a 29 year old BOD appeared.

Considering he looked to be unconscious for a few moments, I am stunned that Nash is passed fit to play. To be clear, I am in no way suggesting skullduggery, but it does make me wonder about the concussion protocol.
You can lose consciousness and not be concussed

You can lose consciousness and not be concussed
My issue would be that long term head injuries come from repeated head knocks over a whole career. I'm not an expert, but I don't think you have to be concussed for it to have an impact. However, getting knocked out certainly shows you've had a serious head knock even if not concussed.

That it. Is Gregor a capable coach?
I haven't seen it

He is a capable coach. Glasgow were a mess when he took over and he rebuilt the team before they wiped the floor with Munster to win the Pro12.

He's just not an elite international head coach like peak Gatland, Schmidt, Rassie or Faz.

My issue would be that long term head injuries come from repeated head knocks over a whole career. I'm not an expert, but I don't think you have to be concussed for it to have an impact. However, getting knocked out certainly shows you've had a serious head knock even if not concussed.
You're correct, that subconcussive contacts are also an issue.
But they're subconcussive, and outside the framework for concussion.

You can lose consciousness without any head contact at all. You can be concussed without any head contact at all.
To the best of my knowledge, there is not test, nor any protocol, for players who've suffered subconcussive brain injuries - which would be literally all of them, almost certainly every starter in every single game.

He is a capable coach. Glasgow were a mess when he took over and he rebuilt the team before they wiped the floor with Munster to win the Pro12.

He's just not an elite international head coach like peak Gatland, Schmidt, Rassie or Faz.
This

And

History says from a Scotland point of view he has got us over the hoodoos of Twickenham, Stade and Principality one way or another.

Gregor has evolved and changed his methods and staff with moderate improvement, whether he can do it again until the contract ends I don't know.

Scotland are in a position where they are talented and capable, but cannot reliably execute an extra 5% that would make them serious contenders.

As the GBR guys were saying, there comes a point where a new face and someone who can just lift them another few percent would take them up another level. I don't know who is available or who the SRU can afford….

Latest posts