• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2024 Six Nations] England vs Ireland - 09/03/24

How many mistakes has Furbank made now? I want the bloke to succeed but I just don't think he's good enough.
Tbh he's on his 3rd cap? Do we expect him to be perfect? Not that it's not annoying but we forget he's still new to international rugby and vs Ireland he's under alot of pressure.

I wont say hes not good enough. Thats what we do 1 bad game and thats it dead to us, rather than developing players. Im not ready to chin him off yet

Needs to up his game no doubt.

However this ends up, I am fairly happy tbh, was expecting a drubbing but real progress and can actually see the game plan steve wants to play in all phases here now.
There's still another half to go

Don't really know how to sumise that half. England played well and left stuff out there. We scraped by but feels like the first time we've really really missed Johnny.

England the better team that half, but Ireland lead...

You can see the attacking threat, and when it clicks, it will be really dangerous. Just too many handling errors atm. Plus Ford is not having the best game with the boot.

I'm not being bad, but imagine living in Altrincham @TRF_Olyy . You're depressed cos you're **** at rugby and you're Also living in Altrincham
Alty is one of the nicer parts of Manchester

I'll leave it to you to decide whether that's a compliment to one of an insult to the other

Even if furbank isnt given time or isnt good enough I dont think we see steward being the long term 15 unless he develops a playmaking game. With this defense and the way steve wants to attack your back 3 needs pace.
Steward is probably going to be in France and ineligible by the time of the next World Cup.

However this ends up, I am fairly happy tbh, was expecting a drubbing but real progress and can actually see the game plan steve wants to play in all phases here now.

I concur. Just needs consistency and players getting more used to each other. Will take time.

Steward has his drawbacks, but so does every player. Bringing in IFW does a lot to cover his slight lack of pace.

I actually think his attack is underrated, he might not bring top speed but he brings power. Isn't he England's top try scorer in the last year or so?
I am not anti steward, I think he is a very good player. But what steve wants to do is antithetical to his skill set. SA lite is what he is going for, you either need playmaking or a lot of pace to cover on defense, the fullback and wings cover, steward for being solid under the high ball isnt going to show up well doing that. Bringing in a player doesnt cover for that, its a weak link system when all 3 do similiar things in this defense.

If the plan was different, I think steward is miles ahead of all other options, but I dont see him being forced into a role that doesnt suit him at all, especially now the rest of the backs and attack are starting to look like they are on their way to being serviceable. Maybe they try him at centre were his power running and kicking would show well.

Steward is probably going to be in Crance and ineligible by the time of the next World Cup.
Maybe, especially since it is pretty clear england are looking for a different skill set at 15 now. Shame very good player but if they stick with this system its a matter of being very good at the wrong period of time.

Maybe, especially since it is pretty clear england are looking for a different skill set at 15 now. Shame very good player but if they stick with this system its a matter of being very good at the wrong period of time.
Surely the Borthwick way would be to keep him in the side, making him do the things he's not good at, while willfully failing to utilise the things he is good at?

I am not anti steward, I think he is a very good player. But what steve wants to do is antithetical to his skill set. SA lite is what he is going for, you either need playmaking or a lot of pace to cover on defense, the fullback and wings cover, steward for being solid under the high ball isnt going to show up well doing that. Bringing in a player doesnt cover for that, its a weak link system when all 3 do similiar things in this defense.

If the plan was different, I think steward is miles ahead of all other options, but I dont see him being forced into a role that doesnt suit him at all, especially now the rest of the backs and attack are starting to look like they are on their way to being serviceable. Maybe they try him at centre were his power running and kicking would show well.
You may be right, but it's a depressing waste of one of the few players we have who can actually be argued to be world class.

Get him to Mike Brown's speed coach.

England need to keep the foot on the gas!

So are we saying Steve knows what he wants to do?
Borthwick to Farrell "don't lie Pat I mean Faz"

I think I'd rather have Steward over Furbank. Being an attacking fullback is what Furbank is meant to be good at, and so far he's not.

Furbank certainly seems to be generating more attacking opportunities than Steward used to, but he's also messing up a lot more.