• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2018 Rugby Championship] Round 3: New Zealand v Argentina (08/09/2018)

Maybe, i doubt at test level it would be let go.

I can't tell you what the thought processes behind the rules are but i can hazard a guess. I think both situations are dangerous but only one is easily resolved through a rule.

By saying you cant jump into a tackle you remove the dangerous situation without really changing the nature of the game. By saying you cant jump to compete for a kick or pass you would necessarily dramatically alter the nature of rugby. So rule one out and protect the other.

No one jumps into a tackle. In almost every case they're jumping to try and evade the tackle.
The only real reason jumping is any more dangerous than any other way of entering a tackle is that there is more potential for the player to land past the horizontal, which is covered in another rule anyway.

The more I think about it, the more I think the attitude should be that if you're able to effect a safe tackle on an airborne player, go for it, but just know that if they land past the horizontal it's an early shower for you.

But that leaves attackers free to jump into tackles in the hope of milking a red card.

Hecked if I know the answer

I think NMS has had his day, he is skilled but too slow plus that glaring defensive error for the first try.
I had picked Solomon Alaimalo in my squad, he'll be there one day. Maybe Hanson sticking with experience for WC.
Yeah NMS does seem to be a bit off the pace. Too early to rule him out IMO but I have been thinking that somethings a bit off with NMS.

Everything else I've found on it suggest that there is no specific rule around jumping into tackles. Referees seem to interpret it as they see it, and bring it under the general dangerous play rules.

Which opens a whole new can of worms, because if the player does something that's only dangerous to themselves (e.g. Jumping vertically with no attempt to evade or fend the tackler) who is at fault?

You're correct.

There is no Law that specifically outlaws jumping over a potential tackler, but if you get the player with a boot to the face, you are going down for Dangerous Play and you are likely to cop a yellow or worse. Its the same as a swinging arm. If you miss the opponent, no harm - no foul.

Yeah NMS does seem to be a bit off the pace. Too early to rule him out IMO but I have been thinking that somethings a bit off with NMS.
Multiple injuries have stripped him of his pace.

You're correct.

There is no Law that specifically outlaws jumping over a potential tackler, but if you get the player with a boot to the face, you are going down for Dangerous Play and you are likely to cop a yellow or worse. Its the same as a swinging arm. If you miss the opponent, no harm - no foul.

following this thread to what seems a natural question....how are we differentiating jumping over a tackle and some of the tall striding players just striding over a very low tackle?

these guys have both feet of the ground (one factor in a jump) when running at full pace with very long gates, if someone threw them selves at their bootlaces as so many of us were taught to do they cold easily "run right over them"....or clip them....is that dangerous play?

following this thread to what seems a natural question....how are we differentiating jumping over a tackle and some of the tall striding players just striding over a very low tackle?

these guys have both feet of the ground (one factor in a jump) when running at full pace with very long gates, if someone threw them selves at their bootlaces as so many of us were taught to do they cold easily "run right over them"....or clip them....is that dangerous play?
Theres an element of discretion in most refereeing decisions. I'd say the ref would not consider the player to have jumped.

I love how you have one famous decision go against you and then you wheel out as if it isn't the exception that proves the rule. Everyone else has to deal with it multiple times a match against you lot.

and u seem to just exclude ones that are convientent for ur non-existent point

"oh naahh, that one doesn't count mate"

spoken like a true aussie

Latest posts