[2018 Rugby Championship] Round 3: New Zealand v Argentina (08/09/2018)

Discussion in 'The Rugby Championship 2019' started by TRF_heineken, Sep 3, 2018.

1. eidde

eidde Academy Player

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

Hawke's Bay

No one jumps into a tackle. In almost every case they're jumping to try and evade the tackle.
    The only real reason jumping is any more dangerous than any other way of entering a tackle is that there is more potential for the player to land past the horizontal, which is covered in another rule anyway.

The more I think about it, the more I think the attitude should be that if you're able to effect a safe tackle on an airborne player, go for it, but just know that if they land past the horizontal it's an early shower for you.

But that leaves attackers free to jump into tackles in the hope of milking a red card.

Hecked if I know the answer

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. All Black

All Black Bench Player

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

New Zealand

Yeah NMS does seem to be a bit off the pace. Too early to rule him out IMO but I have been thinking that somethings a bit off with NMS.

4. smartcooky

smartcooky Referee Coach and Advisor

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

Tasman

You're correct.

There is no Law that specifically outlaws jumping over a potential tackler, but if you get the player with a boot to the face, you are going down for Dangerous Play and you are likely to cop a yellow or worse. Its the same as a swinging arm. If you miss the opponent, no harm - no foul.

5. Derpus

Derpus Bench Player

Country Flag:

Australia

Club or Nation:

Waratahs

Multiple injuries have stripped him of his pace.

6. Jabby

Jabby First XV

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

Otago

following this thread to what seems a natural question....how are we differentiating jumping over a tackle and some of the tall striding players just striding over a very low tackle?

these guys have both feet of the ground (one factor in a jump) when running at full pace with very long gates, if someone threw them selves at their bootlaces as so many of us were taught to do they cold easily "run right over them"....or clip them....is that dangerous play?

7. Derpus

Derpus Bench Player

Country Flag:

Australia

Club or Nation:

Waratahs

Theres an element of discretion in most refereeing decisions. I'd say the ref would not consider the player to have jumped.

8. Steeler

Steeler Academy Player

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

Manawatu

and u seem to just exclude ones that are convientent for ur non-existent point

"oh naahh, that one doesn't count mate"

spoken like a true aussie

• Dislike Dislike x 2
Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!