• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2017 Super Rugby] SF2: Lions vs. Hurricanes (29/07/2017)

I honestly didn't think the "knock" was a knock Ross Cronje's hands were facing backwards and the Canes player dived in and dislodged the ball. Important to note the Lions had a penalty advantage anyway.

BB yellow sucked BUT it was an infringement on a break 5 meters on. I would have said penalty as well not yellow but using the logic of an infringement five meters off from a break you can make an argument for a yellow.

Hard luck Canes but I thought the Lions showed a lot of character. Another team goes 22-3 down and ends up losing that game by 40 points. The lions forward's showed some great skills in the latter half of the game to seal the game as well, Kwagga needs a green jersey.

Now that I've cooled down a bit...

We should've put the game away when we had the chance. We butchered at least 3 tries in that 1st half and were all over them. We should've led by at least 20-30, but we weren't clinical enough and only led by 12.

As for the 2nd half, well.... everything went wrong for us. Not gonna blame the officials because we were well outplayed in that half, but some of those calls were very debatable and could definitely have changed the outcome of the match.
Regardless though, the Lions put on the power and we didn't step up like we should've.

No point even mentioning the conference system, we all know and have known all year how bs it is.

Yeah I'd have been more angry about the calls if the Lions played tripe and it let them win but you can't fault their 2nd half, which makes it less infuriating.

can someone please show me grounding of the 1st 3 tries scored by the lions also an explanation of the Barret yellow? Peyper and co well played... you let the chiefs go and concentrated on the lions game

supersport focuses on all the canes 'fauls' and errors but shows glimpses of the lions 1st 3 conversational tries...

Now that I've cooled down a bit...

We should've put the game away when we had the chance. We butchered at least 3 tries in that 1st half and were all over them. We should've led by at least 20-30, but we weren't clinical enough and only led by 12.

As for the 2nd half, well.... everything went wrong for us. Not gonna blame the officials because we were well outplayed in that half, but some of those calls were very debatable and could definitely have changed the outcome of the match.
Regardless though, the Lions put on the power and we didn't step up like we should've.

No point even mentioning the conference system, we all know and have known all year how bs it is.
I agree with that. I was rooting for the Canes, but if you pull off such a comeback (which I never saw coming), you deserve to win even if certain calls were rather lucky.

And so the Lions become the 3rd team this season to take a kiwi scalp

Typical. The best playoff match by a mile and I had to miss it. I've only seen highlights (link below) but did the Lions keep throwing it around in the second half or did they tighten up a bit and let the forwards take over? Did they do alright at 9, 10 & 12? And how did the match change so much between halves?

On first viewing at normal speed I was concerned about Rasta's call on the grounding and on the BB yellow card. On viewing them both again I am comfortable.

Rasta ran around very quickly to get a look and had an immediate response to position of the ball just before the Canes players slid in and dislodged it. He could easily have seen it on the line. Worth noting that Rasta won a World Rugby refereeing award for his performances at Rio. He's not without some pedigree.

In terms of BB we should know that Peyper's style is to heavily favour the attacking side and foster flowing rugby (I posted as much before the match in this thread). It was a clear break, near the try line with huge potential for quick ball to result in a try. BB moved in a way that dislodged the ball with his feet, moving it by over a foot out of the ruck and it resulted in a turnover. I'll never claim to be a expert on the rules but that is a pretty compelling combination to have a ref considering a yellow and on reflection I think that may have been the better call than just a penalty. And there was plenty time following his return for the Canes to fight back so it wasn't an absolutely decisive moment.

Anyone with concerns about the grounding of the first two Lions tries needs to look again at the highlights and the non-reactions of the Canes players. I see nothing contentious there.

And the competion format was never about creating a SA winner, it was about increasing the number of "local" matches and possibly about ensuring the big three nations have representation in the playoffs and ideally all in the semis. Probably because there wouldn't be a whole lot of interest outside of NZ in watching two all Kiwi semi-finals. I didn't hear anyone a couple of years back predicting a 26-0 Trans-Tasman record in the league and that is what has created the abnormalities in the format. You can get ****** at the ARU for that but I fail to see how the SARU is to blame for that situation. The SARU, ARU and NZ union will have agreed to this compromise as equal partners.

Oddly passive Canes after about 30 minutes of the game, it was almost as if they thought the lead was enough. Lions came out in the second half, removed the errors, got a bit of 'rub of the green' and in the end won comfortably - not a result anyone who watches all the Super games would have expected at all.

The Canes only have themselves to blame, yes there were a couple of debatable decisions, but through the season the Canes have never been troubled by issues like that and have put better sides than the Lions to the sword even when the decisions went against them. I am sure they will be back next year and no doubt will feature in the finals again.

It also leaves a sour taste that the this game and the final get to be played in SA because of the nonsensical system of 2 SA conferences and the soft run given to the Lions through the season. Its crazy that the Saders dont have a home final, but thats politics for you.

Its up to the Crusaders to salvage the season for us now!

A shocker of a game from the Canes, couldn't capitalise on their opportunities should've been leading by 20-30 at the half. All credit to the Lions though; the played great and deserve to be where they are now.

I mean BB clearly interfered with the ball whilst it was in a promising position Yellow was right

Yep. Barrett can protest all he likes, but IMO he knew exactly what he was doing.

Further, the offence he committed is specifically an infringement

16.4 OTHER RUCK OFFENCES
(c) Players must not pick up the ball in a ruck with their legs.
Sanction: Penalty kick

What a comeback. I think it's unfair how many people are claiming the Hurricanes beat themselves, no team gives up in a playoff match after that first half. The Lions came back fighting and the canes could not withstand the onslaught. As for the "dodgy calls" I see alot of people in the media claiming that Rasta shouldn't have said "No TMO" but failed to hear the TMO congratulating him on an outstanding call after the try was awarded (meaning the TMO checked and was happy with the grounding anyway). While BB's yellow was way harsh I don't think it abnormal, consider that a failed intercept can be yellowed if close enough to the line with the attacking team carrying momentum (deliberate knock or not). why should BB's infringement be any different in terms of game effect, those journalists saying "but on the replay it shows he was trying to escape the ruck he's so innocent" expect the ref to just be like "oh okay, he didn't mean to disrupt the attacking teams momentum illegally, that's fine, whoopsie" but he couldn't because when those factors come into play (attacking teams momentum etc) It's often blown on outcome not intention . With the regard to call of no knock on, the canes player ripped the ball back and a Lions player regathered IMO, either way, claiming that there was extra camera angles that the TMO refused to show is ridiculous, I know it was a playoff but really? If the TMO cheated by not showing an available angle it WOULD have been known already. I just find it highly annoying that people are going nuts blaming the ref or canes lack of fight because it detracts from an awesome victory and IMO it shows the arrogance of NZ fans because surely a team that reached the playoffs without playing NZ opposition will be a walkover and if not it was the ref, or the altitude, or the traveling etc etc. Accept the hand that was dealt and let the Lions have their moment of sun. This conference system and lack of neutral refs has really soured this whole season. Rant aside, I think both teams played some awesome rugby, the Lions should take confidence going into the final knowing they stared defeat in the face and didn't buckle under the pressure. The Saders are definitely favourites for the final but I think the Lions have more to play for, not to mention home advantage so hopefully that will be enough to take them all the way. I hope that Elton will show up again and that the team will stutter a lot less, and hopefully they also improve their defence because I don't fancy loosing years of my life from the stress of watching them chasing the whole final. Anyways, I'm one happy saffer and have no doubt the sharks would've buckled hard after that first half blitz so glad our best team is through.

congrat lions. y'all derserve the win
hard luck canes, better luck next season

canes have no one to blame here cept themselves. how we gave up that huge lead is hard to believe. our D had massive holes in it.
julian didnt have much impact off the bench.
barrett was to be penalised at a minimum. OK he might not have intended it (yeah right) but he still stole the ball. twas a very sweet agile foot movement.
lions deserved this. they reached down into that dark place and pulled out a comeback akin to lazurus...almost.
whilst it bummed me out i appreciated lions never say die attitude. lions are awesome.

saders have their work cut out, but if anyone can do it saders can.

just like to say that i'm one of benMays biggest detractors but have to admit that his past 3 games is the best i've seen him play

I thought the Lions player "placed" the ball on Barrett's legs. Once he'd done this, Barrett was always going to be penalised; either for not rolling away or for interfering with the ball. However, if you listen to audio, Jaco seemed to agree it was an accident, so I'm not sure why he Yellow carded him. It seemed harsh.
The Lions knock on looked fairly clear, but as someone noted, the Lions were still on a penalty and the way momentum was going they'd likely have scored. Re the "touch judge try" - I thought the last replay showed the Touch Judge got that call correct.
Overall I feel the right team won this Semi Final (unlike the final All Blacks - Lions game where the All Blacks were robbed of a win by incompetent Refereeing).

The Lions are shaping up as a great team, and the Saders will have a lot of work to do but... they have a much better forward pack than the Hurricanes, so they are better equipped to travel to the Republic and get a result.

It also leaves a sour taste that the this game and the final get to be played in SA because of the nonsensical system of 2 SA conferences and the soft run given to the Lions through the season. Its crazy that the Saders dont have a home final, but thats politics for you.

Its up to the Crusaders to salvage the season for us now!

Well when you think about it, you could just as easily argue that the crusaders may not deserve a place in the final either. With a round-robin and proper standings, the chiefs probably would've finished 3rd or 4th and therefore had a home quarter. They certainly were good enough that they did not deserve to have to travel across the Indian Ocean twice, so the crusaders got an easier semi by playing an "unfairly" travel-weary team. In fact, the chiefs were even more "unfairly" disadvantaged than the hurricanes.

Yep. Barrett can protest all he likes, but IMO he knew exactly what he was doing.

Further, the offence he committed is specifically an infringement

This. I think what prompted it to be a yellow card was that it was in the red zone (5m from the tryline), Lions were on the advance after a brilliant break from Combrink. What Peyper said to Coles also has to be brought into contention. He said that "whatever could have happened from here, in now lost". So clearly he saw Barritt's play as more cynical than what some may think.

cant believe peyper is getting blamed for the canes loss.
jaco had an awesome game. the win was up for grabs for either team. lions just played better.

I agree. It was Peyper's fault that Perenara threw a skip pass whit 3 attackers with him and only a hooker on defence, for the the hooker to intercept and create a try for the Lions...

It was also Peyper's fault that Goosen and Perenara tried to tackle a prop higher than they should 5m from the line...

Congrats Lions!!

To be 22-3 down and comeback like that, was just brilliant!!

Ross Cronje, Kwagga Smith, Franco Mostert and Ruan Combrink were my picks for top performers.

I think TJ Perenara should watch his mouth, seems like he was complaining more than playing. He was to me, the Hurricanes biggest liability. Missing tackles, shoddy passes and poor attitude was what he brought to the game.

Let's see if the Lions can emulate the Bulls. South African teams have never lost a final when the final was played on South African soil...

Typical. The best playoff match by a mile and I had to miss it. I've only seen highlights (link below) but did the Lions keep throwing it around in the second half or did they tighten up a bit and let the forwards take over? Did they do alright at 9, 10 & 12? And how did the match change so much between halves?

1st half Lions were forcing it in the backs without having gained the necessary momentum. 'Canes scoring 14 easy points off of Lions inaccuracis in trying to force the passes under pressure. 2nd half the forwards made the meters first and seemingly made them at will. The front- and backrows doing the carrying in turns and the locks clearing. 1, 2, 6, 7 and 8 all picking and carrying or recieving 1st phase were making inroads and Kwagga Smith and center Vorster ran some beautiful lines. It'll be interesting to see if Rohan Janse van Rensburg comes into the starting line-up with Vorster and Smith my MVPs. It has to be noted Cronje and Jantjies in the 2nd half also looked a lot more solid with the forwards taking the pressure off. I doubt the Crusaders' forwards will cave as easily though. Certainly an interesting final. If anything the Hurricanes' big half time lead somewhat inflated by Lions errors might have made them take the foot off the pedal (mentally at least) in the 2nd.

Last edited:

Latest posts