• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2017 Rugby Championship] Round 1: Australia v New Zealand (19/08/2017)

When i first joined it was one guy who was awful... since I'm a donkey brain I just keep going back to that one experience and stereotype all kiwis

I'll bet I know who it was too.....

The TMO
I think its about time WR looked at removing this business where the referee looks at the replay on the in-ground screen and then gets into a protracted discussion with the other match officials. They should take a leaf from the NRL's book... the referee makes a provisional decision, try or no try, then if he calls in the TMO, it becomes the TMO's decision alone. The TMO can only overturn the on-field decision of he can find clear and obvious evidence that its wrong. If its 50/50, the TMO stays with the on-field decision.
Very much agree with this.

Barnes' performance was well above average IMO
agree about the forward pass but he shouldve gotten help from the touchies then the TMO . how that pass wasnt even considered i'm not sure. oh well life goes on.
i thought barnes was quite jovial and seemed to e enjoying hmself. thats when i worry the most because it can quickly change to being all about him in those cases. but barnes kept to the job in hand . wasnt a perfect reffing performance but not too many refs have perfect games .
dunno about the TMO having full rights. buck should always stop with the onfield ref and he should always have final say imo.

When i first joined it was one guy who was awful... since I'm a donkey brain I just keep going back to that one experience and stereotype all kiwis
Hey... psst... don't read stuff.co.nz
The kiwis on that website are worse than juste one-eyed

dunno about the TMO having full rights. buck should always stop with the onfield ref and he should always have final say imo.

Let me make an extreme example for you to see if I can change your mind

There is a decision to be made, your playing and coaching future may be depending in it and you have a choice of two people to make that decision

The first person is in the 80th minute of running around the rugby field, blowing his whistle. Its a cold night in the middle of winter, he's tired and hungry and he's got a 50,000 strong crowd making a lot of noise. He's got two assistant officials burbling in his ears, and he's got two captains breathing down his neck. He's watching on a medium resolution screen that's 250 feet away.

The second person is sitting in in a warm, comfortable, soundproof booth with a cup of coffee and a danish pastry on the table next to him. He has an expert video operator who is giving him whatever video feeds he wants, and he's watching the action on selection of very large HD screens.

Who do you want making the decision?

Who do you want making the decision?
The guy that's earnt the right to make the call. The guy that's given up thousands of Saturday s going alone into hostile enemy territory to ref a game so others can enjoy.
The guy that has true love for the game.
U tell me. Is this above describing the guy in the comfy room or the one out in the rain?

The guy that's earnt the right to make the call. The guy that's given up thousands of Saturday s going alone into hostile enemy territory to ref a game so others can enjoy.
U tell me. Is this above describing the guy in the comfy room or the one out in the rain?

It describes both

(You do understand that most TMOs (and ALL TMOs in test matches) are actually elite level referees who have been test referees, right?)

Cooky, I often agrere with your posts, but your sanctimonious tone leaves a lot to be desired.
In this case I find myself on Mania's side of the ledger and his posts are not caustic.

But both the referee and the TMO has "earned" the right to make the call though. Do we really want to revert back to the mess before we had TMO?? There was a global unanimous decision made to have TMO's, and give them rights to make calls.

But both the referee and the TMO has "earned" the right to make the call though. Do we really want to revert back to the mess before we had TMO?? There was a global unanimous decision made to have TMO's, and give them rights to make calls.
ok theres a reason why the most experienced ref is out in the middle. other than georgeAyoub the other TMO's havent earnt the right to be out front holding the whistle.

ok theres a reason why the most experienced ref is out in the middle. other than georgeAyoub the other TMO's havent earnt the right to be out front holding the whistle.

yes, but then again, TMO's aren't being kept out of the loop of what's going on in rugby. They recieve training just like any other referee, and they also get training specifically on what TMO's are supposed to look out for.

You used George Ayoub as an example, and while he was a very poor referee IMO when he was an on-field ref, he's a pretty good TMO. I think some referees demeanor and personality makes them better TMO's than referees. I'll use Marius Jonker as an example. He has a decent referee, but on too many occasions got a bit too emotional/frustrated with what was being said to him by the guys on the field. Now that he's a TMO, that part has been taken out of the occasion, and now he can focus on the aspects he's very good at, as a referee.

Its important to keep in mind that TMO requires a different skillset from that of a match referee. He has time to make his decisions, and he can review play before calling the referee for foul play. A great TMO doesn't have to have been a top class referee any more than a great coach has to have been a top class player (in fact, most aren't)

However, another really important issue is what the two are looking at. In-ground screens are nowhere near the resolution of the HDTV screens being used by the TMO. The referee also doesn't have the ability to choose from a range of simultaneous feeds or or look at two screens side by side from different angles at the same time. I've been inside the TMO booth at Wellington Stadium for an NPC match, I've seen what its like and how it operates. I have no doubt that the game will be better off if the TMO becomes solely responsible for decision making once the referee calls him in. It works well for NRL, it works well for NFL and I see no reason why it should not work well for Union.

Latest posts