• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2017 Rugby Championship] Round 1: Australia v New Zealand (19/08/2017)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
140916065417362597.png

140916065414622115.png
140916065416590853.png
140916065415463267.png

Venue: ANZ Stadium
Time: 12:00 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

Wayne Barnes reffing this one. Cue Gnashing of Kiwi posters' teeth.
nah barnes is all good. as long as he remembers that the game isnt about him then he's usually good. its when he has personal issues with the players that he imo he gets distracted.

Barnes is a much better referee now than he was in 2007, there is still a personality issue there where he can't help but become a major part of the game and it does stop his games from flowing when he gets whistle happy. Which is funny because its a complete turnaround from that game in 2007...

I look forward to reading this thread after the game and there be not one complaint of Barnes' performance or decisions and being praised universally by all Kiwi posters on here. At least you'll all have Owens to look forward to reffing the 2nd Bledisloe game.

I'm more interested in seeing how the AB's go in their game play and how the forwards produce quality ball for the backline.
The ref is secondary...

What's the Oz team likely to be? My terribly ill-informed prediction would be:
1. Scott Sio
2. Stephen Moore (I thought he retired from international rugby?)
3. Sekope Kepu
4. Rory Arnold
5. Adam Coltman
6. Ned Hanigan
7. Michael Hooper
8. Lopeti Timani
9. Will Genia
10. Bernard Foley
11. Marika Koroibete
12. Kurtley Beale
13. Samu Kerevi
14. Dane Haylett-Petty
15. Israel Folau

16. Tatafu Polota-Nau
17. Tetera Faulkner
18. Allan Alaalatoa
19. Kane Douglas
20. Sean McMahon
21. Nick Phipps
22. Reece Hodge
23. Henry Speight

I look forward to reading this thread after the game and there be not one complaint of Barnes' performance or decisions and being praised universally by all Kiwi posters on here. At least you'll all have Owens to look forward to reffing the 2nd Bledisloe game.
so youre saying that barnes is a perfect ref and that kiwi's are overly sensitive and one eyed?
u do know that bnarnes has been in nz reffing heaps since 2007. u need to get over it and move on. kiwi's have

What's the Oz team likely to be? My terribly ill-informed prediction would be:
1. Scott Sio
2. Stephen Moore (I thought he retired from international rugby?)
3. Sekope Kepu
4. Rory Arnold
5. Adam Coltman
6. Ned Hanigan
7. Michael Hooper
8. Lopeti Timani
9. Will Genia
10. Bernard Foley
11. Marika Koroibete
12. Kurtley Beale
13. Samu Kerevi
14. Dane Haylett-Petty
15. Israel Folau

16. Tatafu Polota-Nau
17. Tetera Faulkner
18. Allan Alaalatoa
19. Kane Douglas
20. Sean McMahon
21. Nick Phipps
22. Reece Hodge
23. Henry Speight
I think this is pretty on the money, but Alaalatoa will surely start and probably TPN too given that Hooper is now captain, as well as Speight ahead of Korobete. Hodge may start at 12 with Beale coming back from injury, but that depends on Beale's readiness.
Who knows what's going on in Chieka's head though...

Last edited:
so youre saying that barnes is a perfect ref and that kiwi's are overly sensitive and one eyed?
u do know that bnarnes has been in nz reffing heaps since 2007. u need to get over it and move on. kiwi's have

Trust me there are a lot of Kiwi AB fans who will never forgive Barnes for 2007. I am fine with it personally.

Is Beale match fit? Seems a bit harsh on Hodge to me if not.
I like Hodge and I definitely think he should have some sort of place in the Wallaby set-up but I'm not sure he's the kind of 12 Aus needs, he can't distribute for s%$#.

Trust me there are a lot of Kiwi AB fans who will never forgive Barnes for 2007. I am fine with it personally.
im almost positive that kiwi's arent the only people that barnes has p!ssed off.
hakuna matata.
ABs cant win everything and the ref is always right.

All Blacks Team's been named:
1. Moody
2. Taylor
3. Franks
4. Retallick
5. Whitelock
6. Squire
7. Cane
8. Read (c)
9. Smith
10. Barrett
11. Ioane
12. SBW
13. Crotty
14. Smith
15. McKenzie

16. Harris
17. Crockett
18. Tu'ungfasi
19. Romano
20. Savea
21. Perenara
22. Sopoaga
23. ALB

McKenzie at 15 is a big call but actually makes perfect sense to give him game time there before Smith's sabatical, but with Smith still on the pitch to help him out.

Romano over Barrett is both surprising and IMO disappointing, he's just such a boring player.

I assume Kaino must be injured?

15. McKenzie
OK, now I'm genuinely excited for this match. Rapt for the guy, hope he proves all the "he's only good at super rugby level" doubters wrong. I'm sure he will, the kid's class.
Romano over Barrett is both surprising and IMO disappointing, he's just such a boring player.
I suspect it has a bit to do with the workload Barrett had during the finals of SR. He got way more game time than Romano. Shag said during the week that if there were any tight calls regarding guys who'd had a big workload recently, he'd give them a rest. I'd suggest this also contributed to Dagg being left out.

Massive and frankly unnecessary pressure on McKenzie as a result of how he has been treated but at least he is getting a crack. I expect Beauden will still be given kicking duties. Credit to Hansen, he is obviously wise enough to be flexible in his thinking.

A very strong lineup. As much as I rate Cheika I cant see how he can keep this within 20 points.

Rumours are that Dagg is injured, Coles is out for the series and Julian Savea is heading to the Chiefs.

I expect Beauden will still be given kicking duties.
Hope not, surely they should've learnt from the Lions series that if you have a better kicker in the side, let him kick!
Rumours are that Dagg is injured, Coles is out for the series and Julian Savea is heading to the Chiefs.
Hopefully none of that's true.

Really hope Coles isnt gone for the series, will be interesting to see the Wallabies line up, later today.
Like always, I am hopeful and confident.
Hopeful of a Wobblies upset, and confident of an AB's win!

Latest posts