• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 TRC] South Africa v Argentina in Durban (08/08/2015)

Great game Argentina. It's alsway nice to see a rugby nation on the rise. I was worried that they will not be competitive enough and eventually be excluded from the The Rugby Championship, but luckily they proved us all wrong. As for the Springboks, shape up or cancel your trip to the world cup to avoid further embarrassment.

Hey, we sell more tickets than you guys. I mean, I know watching us is probably not too exciting, but last year in pretoria the australian public was George Gregan, Tim Hogan and Cate Blanchett.

What's the Argie media been like in following the game? Looked like a pretty epic encounter and a brilliant win. Huge scalp - when was the last time Argentina beat he boks?

The Soccer Media and soccer supporters are missing. They only appear when the team loses to criticize. Now they are hiding in their caves. They are crap, too soft to play rugby

Argentina only beat South Africa once in 1982 with another name: "South America XV". It's like the South Americans Barbarians. The squad is composed of players from Argentina, Uruguay, Chile and Paraguay. Because these nations are weak in rugby, the starting XV is almost 100% a Pumas team.

With the Pumas name we never beat them, with the "South America XV" name we beat them once in 1982. The score was 21-12, all the points of South America XV were made by Hugo Porta. The South America XV squad had 30 Argie players and some Uruguayans, Chileans and Paraguayans. Technically the Pumas beat South Africa using another name

but last year in pretoria the australian public was George Gregan, Tim Hogan and Cate Blanchett.

Pretoria? Gregan? What are u talking about?

Last edited:
I intended to be ironic, I meant Perth. Innit where we played last year in Australia?

Also Cate Blanchett wasn't there.

Well technically, that is correct.

However, in 1982, the South American Jaguars toured South Africa, and they were Los Pumas in everything but name. While it was privately endorsed by the UAR (the team played in jerseys with the Pumas logo as part of the Jaguars emblem), the tour was not "officially recognized" so that they could circumvent the Argentine government's prohibition, due to apartheid, on sporting ties with South Africa. The Argentine Government were furious, and in 1984, they forced the UAR forbid the use of the Pumas emblem on any future tours.

Jaguars.JPG

The touring party was mostly Pumas players and while it included a few Brazilian, Chilean, Paraguayan and Uruguayan players, none of them played in the two tests against the Springboks.

[TABLE="class: wikitable, width: 80%"]
[TR]
[TH]Date[/TH]
[TH]Venue[/TH]
[TH]Home[/TH]
[TH]Score[/TH]
[TH]Away[/TH]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TR]
[TD]27 March 1982[/TD]
[TD]Loftus Versfeld Stadium[/TD]
[TD]South Africa[/TD]
[TD]50 - 18[/TD]
[TD]South American Jaguars[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]3 April 1982[/TD]
[TD]Free State Stadium[/TD]
[TD]South Africa[/TD]
[TD]12 - 21[/TD]
[TD]South American Jaguars[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

The Jaguars won the second test, and here is some footage which I am pretty sure is from that match as you can a see a running track around the pitch. The old Free State stadium definitely had a running track back then, but I don't think Loftus ever had one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just watched most of this match. Really surprising just how good most of the Arg backs were and how terrible SA was as a group.

In the game against NZ you could see Creevy after an all black try really getting into his backs about their rubbish performance. Looks like he might of finally got through to them.

I didn't watch the game but I cannot for the life of me understand,Imagine or conceive how the boks lost at home to the PUMA's.
Shocking is perhaps an understatement.
The Boks have played 3& lost 3.
Only last week their coach was saying that once they can make the right decisions in their attacking play they will be unstoppable .
A critical examination is required . After their game against the all blacks the press and their coaching staff felt they were the better team . Blaming the loss on uncontested scrums.i disagree .By way of example they had a contested scrum on the AB's 5 metre line that was 8 vs 7 . The ball was turned over in a tackle .

If any team has the mental fortitude to come back it is the boks .

Well, the biggest issues for the Boks are:

Ruan Pienaar. While I have always been a huge fan of him, he just doesn't have what it takes to win at international level against SH teams. The style of play really shows his weakness. He is too slow off the ball and his recycling from the ruck doesn't cut it.

Handre Pollard. What has this boy ever done to deserve a call up? He was good for the Junior Boks at the u20 World Cup a few years back, but that's about it. It looks like yet another player who was selected mainly due to Meyer's familiarity with the Bulls style of play.

Which brings me to the 3rd and most important flaw. The game plan. When you have teams like the Lions, Cheetahs, Stormers and even the Sharks in previous years playing a freeflowing style of rugby, how is it possible we end up playing an outdated style that is based on kicking? The reason the Boks lose games, is because they are unable to switch to a different style of play. The team is a one-trick pony. When it works, things are looking great and the confidence is there to play with a bit more flair, but the moment it doesn't work out the team just tries it over and over and over again. That's the definition of being an idiot. Trying the same thing over and over and over again and expecting different results. This team is flawed in its gameplan and with the player management at the provincial level it seems it's not getting better any time soon. What needs to change?

- Change the way the players are divided among provincial teams at Currie Cup level. Look at the structure of the ITM Cup. Younger players will develop better when they play with experienced guys. Make it appealing for players to represent teams like SWD, Border etc. The emergence of the Pumas is a great example of how a team can be built. Second, get out of the comfort zone when it comes to squad selection. Too often we see the same players being picked again and again even though they perform awful at the international level. Players aren't picked on merit anymore. And stop selecting overseas players! If you cling to the players who moved to Europe, how are young players ever to develop at all? The lack of talent among the current Boks is the result of several mistakes made in the past. It's not just Meyer, but he is responsible.

[video]http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=2442754&categoryid=2378529[/video]

ESPN argentina posted this videos about argentinian victories over SA.

Cheers

Well, the biggest issues for the Boks are:

Ruan Pienaar. While I have always been a huge fan of him, he just doesn't have what it takes to win at international level against SH teams. The style of play really shows his weakness. He is too slow off the ball and his recycling from the ruck doesn't cut it.

Handre Pollard. What has this boy ever done to deserve a call up? He was good for the Junior Boks at the u20 World Cup a few years back, but that's about it. It looks like yet another player who was selected mainly due to Meyer's familiarity with the Bulls style of play.

Which brings me to the 3rd and most important flaw. The game plan. When you have teams like the Lions, Cheetahs, Stormers and even the Sharks in previous years playing a freeflowing style of rugby, how is it possible we end up playing an outdated style that is based on kicking? The reason the Boks lose games, is because they are unable to switch to a different style of play. The team is a one-trick pony. When it works, things are looking great and the confidence is there to play with a bit more flair, but the moment it doesn't work out the team just tries it over and over and over again. That's the definition of being an idiot. Trying the same thing over and over and over again and expecting different results. This team is flawed in its gameplan and with the player management at the provincial level it seems it's not getting better any time soon. What needs to change?

- Change the way the players are divided among provincial teams at Currie Cup level. Look at the structure of the ITM Cup. Younger players will develop better when they play with experienced guys. Make it appealing for players to represent teams like SWD, Border etc. The emergence of the Pumas is a great example of how a team can be built. Second, get out of the comfort zone when it comes to squad selection. Too often we see the same players being picked again and again even though they perform awful at the international level. Players aren't picked on merit anymore. And stop selecting overseas players! If you cling to the players who moved to Europe, how are young players ever to develop at all? The lack of talent among the current Boks is the result of several mistakes made in the past. It's not just Meyer, but he is responsible.

A lot of this makes sense but I do disagree on Pollard. He was Super Rugby's top point scorer. He was largely responsible for the Boks win over the All Blacks last year. I think he offers more than Lambie. Not quite the finished article, but I'd glady take him for the ABs.

A lot of this makes sense but I do disagree on Pollard. He was Super Rugby's top point scorer. He was largely responsible for the Boks win over the All Blacks last year. I think he offers more than Lambie. Not quite the finished article, but I'd glady take him for the ABs.

Pollard wasn't even the top point scorer in the SA conference. And out of all his points, 120 came from penalty kicks. Only Catrakilis (Stormers) had more penalty kicks. Pollard is a great kicker, but as a player distributing the ball he's just one-dimensional. It either works or it doesn't, but there is no plan B with him. He is still quite young, which means he can still improve but at the moment he is not the best fly-half in my opinion. We need versatile players. Players with a bit more creativity.

All credit to the Argies of course.
As for the Boks I've officially stopped believing we are going to win the world cup. Even if we manage to pull out a good performance or two, there is no way this team is capable of winning 7 games in a row.
We've managed to win 2 out of the last 7, so that just puts things in perspective, I will shout for us all the way, but I don't think I'll be crushed knowing we aren't the best team and don't deserve it.

The team has potential but there is something missing, and whatever it is it's serious, perhaps 2019 will be our year when our rookies have gotten some years on them.

Maybe after 3 years of the same gameplan Hayneke Mayer could possibly try something else.

Nah, you change plans when the plan is flawed. This one just needs some tweaking. A tad of luck here and there and they could have easily won both first games.

The Magician:

[video=dailymotion;x312vu2]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x312vu2_juan-martin-hernandez-se-la-pete-contre-les-springboks_sport[/video]

The Magician:

[video=dailymotion;x312vu2]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x312vu2_juan-martin-hernandez-se-la-pete-contre-les-springboks_sport[/video]

You mean when he dropped the ball or when he threw it wildly anywhere when he recovered it? He had a half decent game but and there were a couple of examples of what he was capable of but is so far away from the player he was that he would not get into most international teams now....

Nah, you change plans when the plan is flawed. This one just needs some tweaking. A tad of luck here and there and they could have easily won both first games.

I'm a big believer that when a gameplan keeps bringing unlucky losses, something isn't right and it often needs a huge amount of work to make it that little bit better; the difference at the top comes from being a few per cent better or worse and getting even 1pc better when you're at the top takes a lot.

They were bad in the Autumn as well. Something about their set-up doesn't feel right to me at this moment.

Still, we can discount my JdV idea now...

Latest posts