• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 Six Nations] Wales vs Ireland (Round 4)

We've a huge problem with fly half and the back line. Absolutely huge. Way too much pressure on Sexton, and he felt it today. The worry is, when Sexton has a bad game or is injured, there's no one to step up and the back line falls apart. Ian Madigan has been treated terribly by Irish Rugby. He should have a concrete position, and in turn Ian Keatley has been treated terribly. We've a 12 in Madigan who's getting picked as a 10 ahead of Ian Keatley who is a 10 and needs game time as a 10. It just means zero consistency.

Last edited:
True but we didn't score tries. Even in massive phases we never really looked like it. I'm sure Schmidt will correct it and build another layer but we have to remember we played 15mins a man up and when we were loosing the aerial battle we seemed confused how to go.

We're strong when our set pieces and aerial play is dominant but we seem to hit a wall when we need to create points through other means. I don't think our midfield offers much in creating space and we could do with a Fitzgerald or Earls out wide. I think Reddan really improved our momentum enabling us to catch Wales on the retreat.

Payne, the team has a freebie at building for the WC now. Ideally it'd be Olding but obviously that's not going to happen. The midfield isn't creative enough when faced with a top class D.

I agree. Is still wonder about Olding.
I'd like to see Henshaw/Earls or Fitz. Agree with RTE lads too that Nadigan should be left as a 12 and let him. I don't agree with Hook much but he's right. Payne isn't good enough to play 13 for Ulster so how do you say he's Ireland's best 13

Yeah ummm no. Eng were poor for 10 mins and Wales only try should not of been allowed.

Wales superb defense today, English great defense a month ago but England don't count.

I think trying to claim that the two best sides played today is completely unfair to the top try scorers. Two of the best top 3 sides played today. Only one of those teams beat another away too.
Fair enough, I'm like totes emosh right now so I'm going to consult my good friend alcohol and hit you back up tomozz bru.

We're strong when our set pieces and aerial play is dominant but we seem to hit a wall when we need to create points through other means. I don't think our midfield offers much in creating space and we could do with a Fitzgerald or Earls out wide. I think Reddan really improved our momentum enabling us to catch Wales on the retreat.

Agreed but we aren't going to win aerial everyday and there'll be times like this and we will have to swap plans.

I agree. Is still wonder about Olding.
I'd like to see Henshaw/Earls or Fitz. Agree with RTE lads too that Nadigan should be left as a 12 and let him. I don't agree with Hook much but he's right. Payne isn't good enough to play 13 for Ulster so how do you say he's Ireland's best 13

They need to forget Payne's nationality. Completely forget it. Is he a good enough 13? Who knows. But his nationality shouldn't come into it and it's just disrespect.

Wow what a big call at the end. Can't honestly say I agree with it tho and would be seriously annoyed if that had been given against England. Lineout aside I thought Ireland should have won today , but Wales' defence was incredible , even tho the result may help England I would have been more than happy for Ireland to win as I believe they have been the best side in the tournament and as a neutral I do think Wales have ridden their luck in previous matches .[/QUOTE
But then again you forget the EASY Con by 1/2 penny which would of made the game an easier win in terms of pressure but I guess you just remember the irish pressure don't you ? I don't believe in excuses the team that wins is worth that we last many a close game against Ireland in the past and they deserved it

I'm heading off to the beach to fling my **** in the direction of Wales. On a clear day you can actually see the smug look on Gatlands face from Howth head as your crap falls many miles short of the Welsh coastline.

Seems like Joe and Paul weren't too happy with Wayne Barnes. He had some dodgy calls especially around the scrum but he was pretty consistent.

Seems like Joe and Paul weren't too happy with Wayne Barnes. He had some dodgy calls especially around the scrum but he was pretty consistent.

Tell me when a losing Manager and Captain like the ref!!! They need to look closer to home for the reasons they deservedly lost!

Maximum respect to Wales. On the back foot for huge chunks of that game but the more clinical side. 288 tackles is jaw dropping.

For Ireland. Very disappointed but thats a blessing in disguise believe it or not. Better we were exposed today than walking into a WC thinking we're the ****.

On Barnes? I'd rather Nigel Owens reffed today and he's Welsh ffs. Overly officious except when the home team is in danger on their own line. The final passage where Wales pulled down a maul and got obliterated in the scrum but still managed a penalty summed it up.

Oh and btw for all the eejits listening to Hook on RTE Payne was our best back today (well maybe bar Kearney). A half fit Sexton walking about the place and a pack too involved in the forward battle were the problem. If Madigan had played the second half we would have won and Madigans an average 10.

If Wales were playing NZ, Aus or SA today, I'd have expected them to score a try with 30 phases in the red zone, even with an outstanding Welsh defence.

I mentioned before the game the battle of the centres. I feel Ireland's issue is very much emerging from here as they lack any power or creativity to get over the gainline and put the very dangerous wingers in to space. Payne made a couple of breaks int he first half, but was quickly covered and outmuscled for most of the game. The only player I felt concerned about with the ball was Bowe, and occasionally Kearney. Both centres look inexperienced and lack any creative spark to break a well organised D.

Roberts had an outstanding game in defence, but I felt the decision to bring on Williams was done at exactly the right time even if it was forced.

Tell me when a losing Manager and Captain like the ref!!! They need to look closer to home for the reasons they deservedly lost!

I agree. I didn't expect them to mention Barnes but they did. Just shows what kind of day it is.

Agreed but we aren't going to win aerial everyday and there'll be times like this and we will have to swap plans.

And this is what my worry was about earlier before I was shut down for being negative. We were dominant with our aerial game up to now but there was always a question of whether we had other strings to our bow when it would come to games like these. I didn't think our aerial game would be nullified so soon though. I think we can do it now we know we can't keep playing one way.

Oh and btw for all the eejits listening to Hook on RTE Payne was our best back today (well maybe bar Kearney). A half fit Sexton walking about the place and a pack too involved in the forward battle were the problem. If Madigan had played the second half we would have won and Madigans an average 10.

It's ridiculous. It's downright disrespectful just because he's from New Zealand. Simon Zebo had a terrible game yet no one says anything. Payne and Henshaw are new and people are expecting them to fill the boots of BOD and D'Arcy.

They need to forget Payne's nationality. Completely forget it. Is he a good enough 13? Who knows. But his nationality shouldn't come into it and it's just disrespect.

I treat him as Irish as he's earned his right as per procedures. My issue is he's not proven he's a capable 13 and the fact Ulster have him back at 15 says enough. It shouldn't be put him in and see. It should be put him in when he's proven he can do it at 13.

I treat him as Irish as he's earned his right as per procedures. My issue is he's not proven he's a capable 13 and the fact Ulster have him back at 15 says enough. It shouldn't be put him in and see. It should be put him in when he's proven he can do it at 13.

Agreed. His nationality and whether or not he's a good enough 13 should not be linked. In my view, I'd like to see Henshaw at 13 and Earls or possibly Fitz at 12, moving Payne to the bench and Jones back to Munster. But nevertheless Hook needs a kick up the backside.

Scrap that - Madigan at 12 and Henshaw at 13 could be good, but won't happen.

Last edited:
I've said it time and time again Fitzgerald is the man for 13.

Plain and simple he's got more creativity and spark than the offspring of a Henshaw and Payne from a fling in Barbados.

Watched it in a bar so I don't have the best memory of the game.. but we lost it in the first 20 minutes. Too many penalties. I didn't expect Wales to play that well! So fair play to them. Questionable scrum decision at the end? Not sure, I'll have to watch it again.

Gutted, but a cracking game.

P.s to whoever suggested Earls at 13, please mother of god no. I want Olding 12 Henshaw 13 or vice versa, Fitzgerald is too injury prone and we'll never cement a partnership with him being out constantly.

Latest posts