• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[Six Nations 2018] Round 3: Ireland vs Wales (24/02/2018)

Now the dust has settled I think while there was lots of positives there is a few negatives.

Not a dig at him but I do think RK is on a decline. Now if he is going to RWC that is Schmidt's call but he was poor today and I think another option needs to be developed there. To add an extra option.

McFadden was poor today too and well the 23 Jersey needs to be altered although I expect Ringrose there v Scotland.

Defensively we are leaking alot. Like take away the last try and despite going well we still nearly left it to a lottery. Not sure what exactly the solution is but a fix needed.

Best is a bit on the slip too so we do need another option at starter 2 too developed but that isn't for 6Nations. Niall Scannell vs Austrailia should be starter. Cronin is a 16. A class finisher.

But alot of positives. A bench of guys like Porter and Cronin coming on in front row will massively enhance our impact.

Also would a BP against Scotland seal the Championship. I know England can keep it alive by matching result but will they get BP vs France.

You guys are very efficient, but I am starting to feel that the bluntness of your attack is going to seriously cost you one day. You should really have had Wales dead and buried at half time, but fitness and a lack of ambition in attack let them in. The commentators here in the UK noted that you had overlaps and acres of space out wide, with Earls screaming for the ball, and it rarely got out there.

As for Wales, the RWC is probably coming to early but you are improving rapidly it seems. Where the **** do you find your backrowers? Jesus christ your depth there is fantastic.

My concern if I were Irish would be their utter reliance on Murray and Sexton. Both are excellent, but if one or both get injured, that's Ireland's chances gone. That would really worry me.

Anscombe surely?
Patchell was terrible vs England and Wales have made mmmaaassssssiiivvveee improvements when anscombe went to 10 the last two games

I don't think Anscombes all round game is quite there. He's pretty shocking in the air, and he can be very passive in defence. He's a bit limited with the boot as well, not getting much distance on the ball.

Patchell has everything going for him. He's 6'2", so can handle himself in contact, and on the whole is solid defensively. He's got a great turn of pace which can get him on the outside of defenders. His range of passing is excellent, and he vary's his depth well. He's also got a siege gun boot, so can relieve pressure, and ensure we play in the right areas.

Yes he had a poor game v England, but if he's given time to bed in and grow in confidence at this level I genuinely believe he can be just the player we need going forwards.

Halfpenny didn't do enough for me he's there solely for his goal kicking . Williams needs to be at 15 that's his most potent position and there's is no ro for Leigh on the wings either with steff Evans and north both superior , that means Patchell needs to start 10 as his goal kicking is better than anscombe and he's a better all round 10 for me . Sorry but if this new style is to prevail halfpenny can not start in this team however he will provide valuable cover for both positions

Halfpenny didn't do enough for me he's there solely for his goal kicking . Williams needs to be at 15 that's his most potent position and there's is no ro for Leigh on the wings either with steff Evans and north both superior , that means Patchell needs to start 10 as his goal kicking is better than anscombe and he's a better all round 10 for me . Sorry but if this new style is to prevail halfpenny can not start in this team however he will provide valuable cover for both positions

In fairness to any of the backs today including Halfpenny, we just had no ball. When we did have a little, we looked 'fairly' dangerous.

Don't know how to feel after today as what would have been utter disappointment is tempered a little by our little last 20 minute ultimately failed attempt at preventing the fat lady from singing. The fact that Italy and France have looked so poor means that moving forward, any level of performance against them is difficult to gauge. Thought both Wales and England looked a little passive in their attitudes today, where Ireland and Scotland looked totally dialled in.

Rob Kearney ran for the sex number amount of metres, 2 linebreaks and 3 defenders beaten today in 10 carries. In comparison Earls Had 54 metres with the same abount of clean breaks and defenders beaten in 7 runs. Earls was obviously better but RK probably wasn't as bad as I thought apart from being beaten in the air a couple times by Biggar, 66% tackles doesn't read well but he was the only back not to concede a turnover, probably worthy of the 7s he's been getting in player ratings. I'd still consider Conway for Scotland because I think we can afford to make a change or two but there's still fight in the dog.

The Welsh tackle stats are outrageous, 11 players made over 10 tackles with three of those over 20.

You guys are very efficient, but I am starting to feel that the bluntness of your attack is going to seriously cost you one day. You should really have had Wales dead and buried at half time, but fitness and a lack of ambition in attack let them in. The commentators here in the UK noted that you had overlaps and acres of space out wide, with Earls screaming for the ball, and it rarely got out there.

As for Wales, the RWC is probably coming to early but you are improving rapidly it seems. Where the **** do you find your backrowers? Jesus christ your depth there is fantastic.

But it wasn't our attack that let Wales back into it. We've scored more than England against Wales and Italy lets not forget. 5 tries against a team who were backing themselves as a strong unit in defence isn't bad.

Our inability to hold Wales is just the same weakness thats popped up in all three games so far......we're vulnerable when teams get the ball wide. Wales played simple rugby to the edges and we looked all at sea. Its worrying with Scotland and England on the horizon. I agree we're very direct when we get close to the line though but thats pragmatic. We've very strong carriers who today knew their Welsh counterparts couldn't match them. Stander, Healy or Ryan with 2 yards to go or trust Aki to move the ball with hands? No brainer.

The BBC lads are always on about fitness and it irritates the **** out of me. Apparently France aren't fit. No one ever checks this against reality. The narrative says the Top 14 is played at a slower pace so they're not as fit. They push it in every broadcast. They even get the token Frenchman to recite doctrine. For the record i don't see France weakening any more than the other sides in the games so far.

In fairness to any of the backs today including Halfpenny, we just had no ball. When we did have a little, we looked 'fairly' dangerous.

Don't know how to feel after today as what would have been utter disappointment is tempered a little by our little last 20 minute ultimately failed attempt at preventing the fat lady from singing. The fact that Italy and France have looked so poor means that moving forward, any level of performance against them is difficult to gauge. Thought both Wales and England looked a little passive in their attitudes today, where Ireland and Scotland looked totally dialled in.
I think we have them too much respect the obvious tactic was to invite them on and hit them on the break but to me it's a dangerous tactic especially away from home , we have awaybto much possession and that powerful Irish pack exploited us , it's just frustrating we give teams so much possession same as Scotland because when we get they ball in hand we look so dangerous, it was too little to late against the Irish and that was the story , I also think we lack direction atm as well I'm not convinced gats even knows his best team , one minute we are trying to play a more expansive style and then we are reverting to biggar &10 and halfpenny 15 does that really suit our new expansive style ? I'm not convinced . Davies and biggar didn't link up to well and then your facing sexton and Murray the best halfbacks in the world . It's a tough call but for the last 2 games id like to see some consistency in the halfbacks namely Patchell and Davies 2 scarlets let's forgive Patchell is one bad start against England he didn't deserve to be dropped imo

Rob Kearney ran for the sex number amount of metres, 2 linebreaks and 3 defenders beaten today in 10 carries. In comparison Earls Had 54 metres with the same abount of clean breaks and defenders beaten in 7 runs. Earls was obviously better but RK probably wasn't as bad as I thought apart from being beaten in the air a couple times by Biggar, 66% tackles doesn't read well but he was the only back not to concede a turnover, probably worthy of the 7s he's been getting in player ratings. I'd still consider Conway for Scotland because I think we can afford to make a change or two but there's still fight in the dog.

The Welsh tackle stats are outrageous, 11 players made over 10 tackles with three of those over 20.
Again my gripe now isn't on RK. I've accepted he will be the starter at Japan. But he is prone to injury and if he goes down who goes in. Yes we have candidates and we can say Larmour or Conway etc but they need to play few games of high reputation to know if they the right call. Farrell for example we know is well able for International rugby at 13. Porter we know is ok now as is John Ryan.
The biggest worry for Ireland is now Sexton seemed a bit crocked since captain run yesterday. And we gambled his fitness because we had to. Carbery isn't trusted as a proper 10 yet otherwise he would have been in earlier. Sexton soldiered on and was good but he had to as Carbery has potential but was off last few weeks and Schmidt didn't trust him that far. And he doesn't trust Keatley or Byrne as much.
Equally he trust McGrath to to come on at 65 but after that no 9.

And this isn't a slamming of Schmidt but that is where depth has to be built. Rob Kearney needs to be dropped for a few games especially Aus tour to build another 15 in.
Sexton and Murray need to be spared too. A 3 game tour after the Lions last summer is intense.

Also on stats (and again this isn't putting it down)

RK averaged 6.9m per run
KE averaged 7.71 per run
JS averaged 8.3m per run

Rob should be averaging more considering he get ball from deeper averagely.

Now the opposite side was how poor Leigh Halfpenny was as he averaged 3.28m per run.

Last edited:
Why was sextons goal kicking so bad today ? Normally he's so reliant in those situations . Ireland could of been s lot more comfortable with those kicks if he slotted them. I think that a forgotten fact in this game.

Why was sextons goal kicking so bad today ? Normally he's so reliant in those situations . Ireland could of been s lot more comfortable with those kicks if he slotted them. I think that a forgotten fact in this game.
He broke down a bit yesterday with injury and I would say it all linked today. He didn't look 100% comfortable but credit where it's due he soldiered on superbly. Not his best game even from general play by a long shot but nowhere near his worst

He broke down a bit yesterday with injury and I would say it all linked today. He didn't look 100% comfortable but credit where it's due he soldiered on superbly. Not his best game even from general play by a long shot but nowhere near his worst
Must of been nursing a ****le of some sort , I heard about the speculation but he took contact really well and seem fine in general play , something wasn't quite right though for him to miss those kicks

Must of been nursing a ****le of some sort , I heard about the speculation but he took contact really well and seem fine in general play , something wasn't quite right though for him to miss those kicks
Was noted after about his glute and back. He was fine in general play but equally wasn't his usual self.

Time to look at Conway, RK did everything I usually defend him for badly today.

No you were right about Kearney the first time. That turnover stat is nonsense. He got turned over in a vital position and gave away a penalty in their 22 if I recall, was constantly bested in the air and missed nearly every man tackle he was asked to make. He was fine with the ball, but had a straight up bad game. He doesn't deserve marching orders but he was objectively poor this time

Good performance today. The pack were excellent. Leavy, Ryan and Porter all slotted in effortlessly, Farrell had a good 6N debut too.
Stockdale has now score 8 tries from 7 games.

Kearney was poor today. An attacking fullback would make a big difference to that team. When Kearney gets the ball you know he is just going to lokk to recycle the ball. We've been a bit unlucky with injuries to fullbacks. Conway got injured at a bad time. Carbery has hardly played this year, Payne hasn't played since the Lions tour and Larmour is only after a few games as a pro.

I don't see Kearney going to japan. This could be his final 6 nations and you wouldn't begrudge him a win.

Henshaw is apparently Ireland's defensive leader, he's supposed to be very communicative on the field and basically tells lads what to do in certain situations. When you look the tries Italy and Wales scored against us some where just bad defensive reads, Larmour and McFadden, but the rest looked like bad communication between the centres and wings, Wales found space nearly every time they went wide. Now consider how Scotland like to play their game and we've got a potentially serious problem.

Henshaw is apparently Ireland's defensive leader, he's supposed to be very communicative on the field and basically tells lads what to do in certain situations. When you look the tries Italy and Wales scored against us some where just bad defensive reads, Larmour and McFadden, but the rest looked like bad communication between the centres and wings, Wales found space nearly every time they went wide. Now consider how Scotland like to play their game and we've got a potentially serious problem.
The amount of biting in for Evans try in particular was ridiculous, generally the outside man has to make the hit unless he's being told otherwise inside, communication must have been way off.

The amount of space for the Welsh just before Stockdale's intercept is shocking. If Stockdale wasn't such a legend it would've been game over. Been said a million times now but our defense out wide is just jaw-dropping. Argentina and Scotland figured it out, and Wales were on the cusp of it. A couple of nice, clean, simple passes to the right or left and bam, try in the bag no bother. What happened to our iron defense of '14 and '15?

Yeah our defence out wide is poor and it's not just on the wings. The tendency to get sucked in is ridiculous. If our pack hadn't daddied up on the Welsh pack as much as they did and the Welsh had more ball, we would have been in a world of trouble. That said I don't want to take too much away from a great result, but Scotland will offer running out wide in abundance when we play them.

The amount of space for the Welsh just before Stockdale's intercept is shocking. If Stockdale wasn't such a legend it would've been game over. Been said a million times now but our defense out wide is just jaw-dropping. Argentina and Scotland figured it out, and Wales were on the cusp of it. A couple of nice, clean, simple passes to the right or left and bam, try in the bag no bother. What happened to our iron defense of '14 and '15?
Other teams have improved.

Even at Leinster, Joe Schmidt coached teams tended to defend quite narrowly and leave space on the wings. It was a gamble that opponents couldn't pass the ball effectively enough. The only Pro 12 team who could were the Ospreys and they reaped rewards from it.

Now skills are improving in the 6 Nations. All teams have the ability to throw it wide with the possible exception of France. It's something that needs to be addressed.

If Robbie Henshaw is the defensive leader, while never nice to see someone get injured, his absence means others have to step up and assume a more prominent role. With 2019 in mind, that can only be positive.

Depth is now looking quite good in most positions. Agree with others who suggest an alternative option for Rob Kearney needs to be found and blooded. An attacking fullback could add a huge amount to this team. Game time at 10 for Joey Carbery is essential. I don't think we'll see much of it in the 6 Nations but he'll get a lot of minutes during the summer in Australia. Niall Scannell needs time at 2 also.

While an outstanding player, I'm not sure a deputy for Conor Murray is as pressing a need as the other positions outlined above. Kieran Marmion will go into the next World Cup with at least 25 caps behind him, a lot of club experience and a handful of starts against top 10 opposition including a win over England. Luke McGrath plays with Ireland's flyhalves at provincial level, has captaincy experience with Leinster and will have around 15 caps behind him in Japan. Murray going down isn't the disaster that Sexton going down could be.

Latest posts