• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 Six Nations] Scotland vs Wales (Round 2)

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I should check out your blog. Of course it wasn't all against Scotland and to their detriment, as the Welsh suffers too. But they will be smiling in the bath with the Scots seething for what ifs and having established and proven top class refs such as Romain Poit, Craig Joubert, Wayne Barnes, Steve Walsh and even Nigel Owens?

All refs have their bad days. Just take it on the chin, your team butchered a number of opportunities. Jackson didn't effect the result in my opinion as both teams could have had sin bins in the second half and arguably Scotland should have had the first of the second half with the constant infringements at the breakdown. So by the time Scotland did get their second wind the game may have been out of reach.

Glen had a bad day at the office, no doubt about that. He lacked authority and at times looked confused and indecisive. Is he "good enough for top class internationals"? Well, you don't base referee competency on one match; if you did, then Wayne Barnes wouldn't have refereed another international after October 6, 2007! If you dropped every referee forever after they have had a bad day, you would not have any left.

Based on Jackson's other performances in top level matches so far, including Rugby Championship matches, then I'd have to say yes, he is good enough. Players have a bad day at the office too, but it seems when a referee has a bad day, he is held to a much tougher standard by fans.

As a referee coach, I would not be concerned about Jackson's performance in this match. He will know he has had a shocker and this will be discussed extensively in his assessment and debrief. I would be concerned if he didn't learn from it.

Glen had a bad day at the office, no doubt about that. He lacked authority and at times looked confused and indecisive. Is he "good enough for top class internationals"? Well, you don't base referee competency on one match; if you did, then Wayne Barnes wouldn't have refereed another international after October 6, 2007! If you dropped every referee forever after they have had a bad day, you would not have any left.

Based on Jackson's other performances in top level matches so far, including Rugby Championship matches, then I'd have to say yes, he is good enough. Players have a bad day at the office too, but it seems when a referee has a bad day, he is held to a much tougher standard by fans.

As a referee coach, I would not be concerned about Jackson's performance in this match. He will know he has had a shocker and this will be discussed extensively in his assessment and debrief. I would be concerned if he didn't learn from it.
I do agree with the first part. Sometimes people just flustered and to have him dropped after one game would be so incredibly unfair. I think the reason people are harsher on refs as they see anything against them as the ref siding with the other team. I'm sure Jackson had no bias towards the Welsh but it is much easier for a fan to believe that it isn't their teams fault they lost, it was the ref. He's an easy scapegoat, even though I feel he was probably the reason Scotland didn't win. Just my opinion.
On the last part I would be very concerned by this. This was a big-ish match but it wasn't really that big. I wouldn't be confident in him reffing a match in the world cup after this game.

to be honest, as poor as he was today i quite like Jackson, he generally refs a decent flowing game and i tend to enjoy watching him... i did feel he got very little help from his comrades today.

@Saffycen is there many or even any that you'd say "I'd be comfortable with him"" around?
I rate Jackson and as was said yes he had bad day but most refs do. I would say his good days massively outweigh his bad days.

@Saffycen is there many or even any that you'd say "I'd be comfortable with him"" around?
I rate Jackson and as was said yes he had bad day but most refs do. I would say his good days massively outweigh his bad days.
Owens, Poite.......Walsh ?

Well it wasn't was it.

Probably along with others who do not seem to understand that refs are part of the road bumps on the way to victory...........rarely do they have a defining moment that changes the course of a match although they can make some errors they do eventually affect both sides. I would grant it may appear that way to the one eyed supporter though!

To say that Italy yesterday or Scotland today "lost" the match because of the ref shows a lack of understanding rugby.........

ay_111365247-e1370356039377.jpg

It's ok guys, I've worked out the problem.

Probably along with others who do not seem to understand that refs are part of the road bumps on the way to victory...........rarely do they have a defining moment that changes the course of a match although they can make some errors they do eventually affect both sides. I would grant it may appear that way to the one eyed supporter though!

To say that Italy yesterday or Scotland today "lost" the match because of the ref shows a lack of understanding rugby.........

Lucky i have not said that then.

But i do agree.

Well, it was you and some random italian guy who only commented once.

Well, that isn't 'just me' then is it?

Also, there was another 'random' New Zealander who felt that decisions went against Italy too. That's already 200% more than you stated and bearing in mind that the thread was obviously overwhelmingly filled with England supporters. That is just from memory, there were other comments to similar affect too. Anyway, the rest of the time i was just there having to defend my right to have an opinion which wasn't in favor of England against biased fools like you.

Last edited:
3 People as compared to all of TRF and the entire twittersphere who felt that Scotland were hard done by. In a way that potentially cost them the match. Do you think the referee, even if he did favour England at scrum time(jury's out, I personally disagree), was responsible for a 30 point deficit in the final score? You made the comparison, not me.

Noone said you don't have the right to an opinion - it's just that when it's a stupid opinion you shouldn't expect people not to argue back.
Your classic line which we have to ut up with every year is "man for man, I'd pick every Wales player above every individual England player."... I reiterate, you have every right to say this, but people will respond, because its plain stupid.

Last edited:
Owens, Poite.......Walsh ?

Owens I've rarely had much issues with.
Poite I've had a lot of issues with. And well would consider Jacksons performance today a lot better than some I've seen live from Poite.
Walsh. I like him but he has had a lot of stick in past.
Is it easy I wonder for you to rank Poite etc highly as its rare you'd probably see him much like me with Jackson etc.

Is it easy I wonder for you to rank Poite etc highly as its rare you'd probably see him much like me with Jackson etc.

I have seen a fair amount of Poite and am happy with him as he lets the game flow and is even to both sides with his decisions although I can see why the "stickler for the rules" would not be happy with him!!

Edit............sorry, but what does MEH mean?

Last edited:
3 People as compared to all of TRF and the entire twittersphere who felt that Scotland were hard done by. In a way that potentially cost them the match. Do you think the referee, even if he did favour England at scrum time(jury's out, I personally disagree), was responsible for a 30 point deficit in the final score? You made the comparison, not me.

Noone said you don't have the right to an opinion - it's just that when it's a stupid opinion you shouldn't expect people not to argue back.
Your classic line which we have to ut up with every year is "man for man, I'd pick every Wales player above every individual England player."... I reiterate, you have every right to say this, but people will respond, because its plain stupid.

I think misquoting someone in order to try and win an argument is far more stupid than providing an opinion which may not be agreed by everyone, but then actually giving reason and some sort of basic explanation for that opinion. The irony is that your idea of a resposte is to ignore all points made which give the disagreeable opinion context and reason, and to just declare them a 'troll'. The irony being that this is being a troll in itself. But it's easier to do that eh?

To answer your question - No i do not think the referee was responsible for the 30 point deficit in the final score for England against Italy. However, we're not talking about decisions which were (wrong) not agreed by all at 70 minutes after the game was won. We're talking about key decisions which potentially shaped an entire game which followed, who knows what would have happened if he had been fair in refereeing the scrum and the TMO had been on the ball. You spent the entire game copiously documenting each decision which you believed was wrong when against your team, but then got all uppity and dismissive when someone points out those key decisions which go against the opposition.

Good day miss Poppins

Last edited:
I think misquoting someone in order to try and win an argument is far more stupid than providing an opinion which may not be agreed by everyone, but then actually giving reason and some sort of basic explanation for that opinion. The irony is that your idea of a resposte is to ignore all points made which give the disagreeable opinion context and reason, and to just declare them a 'troll'. The irony being that this is being a troll in itself. But it's easier to do that eh?

To answer your question - No i do not think the referee was responsible for the 30 point deficit in the final score for England against Italy. However, we're not talking about decisions which were (wrong) not agreed by all at 70 minutes after the game was won. We're talking about key decisions which potentially shaped an entire game which followed, who knows what would have happened if he had been fair in refereeing the scrum and the TMO had been on the ball. You spent the entire game copiously documenting each decision which you believed was wrong when against your team, but then got all uppity and dismissive when someone points out those key decisions which go against the opposition.

Good day miss Poppins

You didn't "point out" anything - actually all you managed to say was that the referee was massively favouring England at scrum time, I can't actually remember what it was you said - you didn't actually give any evidence or angle for this opinion whatsoever.Probably because you don't understand scrums any better than the rest of us even though you would appear to believe otherwise. Please, bring hither some valid and robust evidence - just saying something to the effect of "ref is handing england the game at scrum time" is neither insightful nor sophisticated.
Wait, found it " He is however letting England get away with murder at the scrum."

I haven't misquoted you, I simply tried to make you think a bit harder about your reference to the England Italy game which is in no way an analogue to the disaster which was this afternoon from Jackson.
I didn't personally call you a troll, not sure where you got that from...

It's funny, I don't remember complaining about the referee much at all, or do you conflate all English into one? I actually remember moaning about one Ben Youngs for the whole game.

You didn't "point out" anything - actually all you managed to say was that the referee was massively favouring England at scrum time, I can't actually remember what it was you said - you didn't actually give any evidence or angle for this opinion whatsoever.Probably because you don't understand scrums any better than the rest of us even though you would appear to believe otherwise. Please, bring hither some valid and robust evidence - just saying something to the effect of "ref is handing england the game at scrum time" is neither insightful nor sophisticated.
Wait, found it " He is however letting England get away with murder at the scrum."

I haven't misquoted you, I simply tried to make you think a bit harder about your reference to the England Italy game which is in no way an analogue to the disaster which was this afternoon from Jackson.
I didn't personally call you a troll, not sure where you got that from...

It's funny, I don't remember complaining about the referee much at all, or do you conflate all English into one? I actually remember moaning about one Ben Youngs for the whole game.

I pointed out that England were getting away with a lot at scrum time, was there a lack of substance to this assertion? I don't remember you providing much in depth explanation for your assertions either. I also pointed out that decision to award one of England's early tries which gave them the lead was crucially incorrect. Both opinions held by others. Again, i pointed out that England were diving into the ruck in order to force a penalty and leaving the ref with no other decision but to award a penalty - which you actually agreed with.

When i stated that having a different opinion to another English poster who called me a troll did not make me one, you said that i was just being sore due to last weeks result. You also called me a 'keyboard warrior' (is that different to a troll?) just because i had an opinion you did not like. I.E the opinion and explanation i provided in another thread very recently which i can't be arsed looking up.

Lastly, yes you did on numerous occasions go on about the referee's decisions.

Hitting this on the head, as i think we are going to end up in circles.

Goodnight

Last edited:
Ignoring all the bickering, I'm going to just comment on some players.

I'd like to see Charteris start next match. He's come on leaps and bounds since moving to France. He looked like a giant fullback in defence, I'm guessing he's had some 'running coaching' which means he covers ground so quickly now, and was responsible for half a dozen great tackles.

1/2p looked like he was told to attack more, with Liam Williams able to cover fullback, and showed he's not just a safe pair of hands and the best kicker in the game.

Think Webb was found out a bit, trying to do his sniping runs at the wrong times. Definitely the no.1 now though.

Biggar was great. Brave as heck (even if he did look like he'd 'fallen asleep on tour' and had every orifice stuffed with toilet paper at one point).

Patchell played his first game for the Blues since November yesterday, and would love to see him given a run out in the final match vs Italy (I think?), would be quite amusing to see 1/2p taking the 'short kicks' ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts