• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] Quarter Final 3: Ireland vs. Argentina (18/10/2015)

My hat goes off to the Irish team.
I think they played a great game in spite of not being in full form due to injuries.
Unfortunately for them Argentina is no longer the team it was a couple of years ago and you cant expect to beat them easily without being at full strength.

I also think many argentinians are getting a little bit carried away by this win, saying things like from now on we are going to be favourites against every NH team and stuff like that.
Time will take care of proving that that is not true.
Argentina has come a long way and will keep getting better and better, but let's not get carried away here.

I think they played a great game in spite of not being in full form due to injuries.
Unfortunately for them Argentina is no longer the team it was a couple of years ago and you cant expect to beat them easily without being at full strength.

I also think many argentinians are getting a little bit carried away by this win, saying things like from now on we are going to be favourites against every NH team and stuff like that.
Argentina has come a long way and will keep getting better and better, but let's not get carried away here.

I agree with not getting carried away, but what, exactly, is not true about us being favourites against any NH team if we were to play, say, tomorrow?

Must put up my hand, I never gave Argentina a chance. Missed the game and saw the highlights. That was some great rugby. Ireland, well done. Think you can keep your head up. Argentina, that was some of the best rugby I've seen in a long time. RESPECT.

Well done Argentina! I knew we were goners from that 2nd Imhoff try but I just embraced and saw it a pleasure (well...) to lose to such great rugby. I want to root for Argentina to go all the way but I have to say Im pretty disappointed from some of the attitude of the posters here. With comments like "Suck it Ireland" "We are favourites to beat every NH team" etc? Cmon guys... You can rant on about how you think every Irish person was cocky and talking about semis, when in truth it was a minority, but I think this supremacist attitude is not good sportsmanship and I can guarantee if Ireland had won Irish fans would not be rubbing salt in the wounds the way some of you are.

Because you know it really is disappointing. To get so close to a semi yet AGAIN and just not do it. Feels like we are destined to underachieve. Im very happy to acknowledge Argentinas victory and their inclusion amongst the SH greats but I dont get why you would take pleasure in our demise and to be honest I think its really really juvenile. The worst is these Americans who dont have a clue about rugby and come on here after a NH team loses and harp on about SH dominance and laugh at NH fans. Ive spotted 3 different ones now. Its pathetic really.

I cant help but feel really angry at France for putting so much energy into knocking out our best players and then showing up with an embarrassing performance against the ABs... I hate to be that guy saying it, but lets be honest, without our key players injured this would have been a different game. I still dont think we would have won but I reckon it wouldve been more likely and even so the scoreboard might have looked better.

So congrats yet again :) Now can I please ask some of you to get off your high horse, pat us on the back and tell us "better luck next time, friend"?

Thank you
With comments like "Suck it Ireland" "We are favourites to beat every NH team" etc? Cmon guys...
You can't group phrases like that together. Apples and oranges. The first one is rude and uncalled for. Whoever said it is a moron. Disregard it.
About the second one, well, everyone, including the Irish themselves, have been labeling Ireland as the best NH team. The phrase "back to back champions" was frequently used.
If a team beats Ireland by 20+ points, then well, it stands to reason they'd be favourites against NH teams.
I wouldn't say it myself, but the logic behind it looks sound to me.

Well done Argentina! I knew we were goners from that 2nd Imhoff try but I just embraced and saw it a pleasure (well...) to lose to such great rugby. I want to root for Argentina to go all the way but I have to say Im pretty disappointed from some of the attitude of the posters here. With comments like "Suck it Ireland" "We are favourites to beat every NH team" etc? Cmon guys... You can rant on about how you think every Irish person was cocky and talking about semis, when in truth it was a minority, but I think this supremacist attitude is not good sportsmanship and I can guarantee if Ireland had won Irish fans would not be rubbing salt in the wounds the way some of you are.

Because you know it really is disappointing. To get so close to a semi yet AGAIN and just not do it. Feels like we are destined to underachieve. Im very happy to acknowledge Argentinas victory and their inclusion amongst the SH greats but I dont get why you would take pleasure in our demise and to be honest I think its really really juvenile. The worst is these Americans who dont have a clue about rugby and come on here after a NH team loses and harp on about SH dominance and laugh at NH fans. Ive spotted 3 different ones now. Its pathetic really.

I cant help but feel really angry at France for putting so much energy into knocking out our best players and then showing up with an embarrassing performance against the ABs... I hate to be that guy saying it, but lets be honest, without our key players injured this would have been a different game. I still dont think we would have won but I reckon it wouldve been more likely and even so the scoreboard might have looked better.

So congrats yet again :) Now can I please ask some of you to get off your high horse, pat us on the back and tell us "better luck next time, friend"?

Well said.

Well all the Irish people have been saying that because we are (though I would wager Wales are just as good). The fact that Argentina put 20pts on the best NH team is a sad reflection. But the 20pts lead has to be taken into context too I feel. If Argentina were to play a full strength Wales or Ireland next week (dare I now say Scotland!?), after just 6/7 days rest, I would still say the odds are 50/50. I think the impact of the France game really took it out from us, in terms of fitness and losing our 4 best players... No point in harping over it but I cant stop thinking what might have happened when it was 23-20 had POC, Sexton etc, been on the field :( I know you cant rely on key players to win every match, strength in depth is very important, but still, lets not beat around the bush.

NH rugby needs a revamp. Scotland has the right idea. They can see how rugby is meant to be played and they have a very bright future. This territory/kicking/ruck into oblivion might work for the 6N but means diddly squat on the world stage. Im admittedly a bit bitter at the moment so Im just going to stop now :p

All I can say is congrats again, you have a very bright future ahead of you and should be very proud of yourself for being a completely legit contender with the big boys. Us northerners will go back to rucking in the rain and mud against Italy.

Last edited:
Regards game you and Cmac point out that yes we were the best European team but that's on paper.

Doesn't matter - the European teams are all ****e.

Same instipid play from all of them - which is why when we come up against a slick attacking outfit with good ball skills we're all at sea.

Ireland won the last 2 6N by playing hoofball. Many of us patted ourselves on the back and thought we were great and didn't need to be able to manipulate, make and use space across the width of the field. Well, that big fat complacent chicken has come home to roost... along with many others.

Ireland have done very well. They went out in style and with their pride intact.
The support they had from their fans is the best I've seenn (and Heard!). They have the best fans in this RWC.

They ran out of gas in the end and were deprived of key players. But Madigan, Henderson & Co stepped up to the plate big time. Henderson has showed in a few games he can fill POC's considerable boots.

It was a cracking game. The way Ireland recoverd from a big point deficit and got back within 3 pts and rattled the Pumas showed how good and strong they are.

Well done to both teams.

This is really when it counts. Irish and Welsh were decimated by injuries, and therefore their squad depth was tested and to be found wanting. And therefore they lost. Your squad depth needs to be top notch to be able to pull through in times like this.

This territory/kicking/ruck into oblivion might work for the 6N but means diddly squat on the world stage.
Well that's a pretty accurate description of the way one semi-finalist plays so it can still be successful. But I hope hope hope it dies a death in that semi.

Well that's a pretty accurate description of the way one semi-finalist plays so it can still be successful. But I hope hope hope it dies a death in that semi.

That one semi-finalist was regularly hockeyed in the RC and have limped along to this point.

After Scotland almost beating Aus, I'll not make my "not in a month of Sundays" prediction I did yesterday in the pub - but its very hard to see the 'boks beating the 'blacks next week.

I called this a mile off. Still fail to see how the bookies and a lot of pundits had Ireland as the favourites..they were wobbly before this World Cup and during against Italy, beat a France team who have been shown to be way off the pace and I think that's where all the hype came from. Argentina are a class outfit and took New Zealand very close in their opening game, they also have reached these stages in the past so it is no surprise. These results have been the best for Rugby and will hopefully change the way the NH teams play the game because something is clearly wrong with the attacking ambition with all the home sides.

That one semi-finalist was regularly hockeyed in the RC and have limped along to this point.
I watched both RSA vs NZ and RSA vs AUS at the RC this year and both game were very close. They didn't deserve to lose either game.

For me, SA's game went backwards after the RC. In the RC, we tried to score some tries. In the WC, we stopped that and are trying to play the old bump and win 1 meter type of rugby. Take the AB's game against France. The skills the AB forwards posses leaves me breathless. You think SBW can offload? Check the NZ props. The same type of skills one or two of the SA backs MAYBE have. I don't think I've EVER seen 15 players with so much skill in one team. And they stay humble. That is amazing.

For me, SA's game went backwards after the RC. In the RC, we tried to score some tries. In the WC, we stopped that and are trying to play the old bump and win 1 meter type of rugby. Take the AB's game against France. The skills the AB forwards posses leaves me breathless. You think SBW can offload? Check the NZ props. The same type of skills one or two of the SA backs MAYBE have. I don't think I've EVER seen 15 players with so much skill in one team. And they stay humble. That is amazing.

Its astounding that most countries seem to think because someone is a forward, they can be excused for being devoid of skill with the ball.

Doesn't matter - the European teams are all ****e.

Same instipid play from all of them - which is why when we come up against a slick attacking outfit with good ball skills we're all at sea.

Ireland won the last 2 6N by playing hoofball. Many of us patted ourselves on the back and thought we were great and didn't need to be able to manipulate, make and use space across the width of the field. Well, that big fat complacent chicken has come home to roost... along with many others.
I'll admit. This I can't argue. Our style is gone poor and as Gaston and few more will know I've been here slamming French who have lost their true identity.
Ireland - well yes our game is kick orientated and what your saying is correct but we've never really had a coach brave enough to sacrifice games to play an expansive game. I think it's something just subconsciously there.

Latest posts