• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] Quarter Final 3: Ireland vs. Argentina (18/10/2015)

Congrats to Argentina, they score some great tries and play with the most passion I've seen yet. I wouldn't put it past them to make the final from here, they look very good, it will take a strong Australian/Scottish performance to stop them.

Wonderful fight back by Ireland that has come to naught after the reaction from the Pumas.

Unfortunately, I really cannot see the Pumas, unless they retain the intensity that they showed in the first 15 minutes, holding the Aussies to anything like a tight match. That first 15 was almost (and I did say almost) like the way the AB's play but they really should not have slipped off so much to allow the brave Irish back into it.

So that is the end of the NH participation in this RWC (I have not discounted the chances for Scotland as much as feel they have none!) so perhaps they could take the semi's and the Final back down under and play them there?!!!

The NH have some way to go when Argentina can whip probably the best of the NH so easily!!

That seals its...............

Argentina wouldn't have trounced Wales by that much!

Any update on Tommy Bowe?

Looked nasty enough, would want him back playing for Ulster quickly enough too.

Congratulations Argentina, the better team won. I'll be cheering for you guys to go all the way now!

Well done ARG, totally deserved. They look like a proper rugby team - big horrible forwards who don't take any prisoners and backs who can both pass and run. None of their back line look like forwards which makes a pleasant change. Reckon they're in with a good shot of the final.

Gotta love Fernandez Lobbe, one tough hombre who consistently influences matches. Anyone care to compare him to Wood or Robhaw? Thought not.

Ireland's injuries obviously played a part, but even with a full team I reckon they'd still have lost. They showed little attacking ambition and their narrow defensive pattern was almost unpicked at will. Schmidt has to be culpable for that.

Tournament is much poorer for the Irish fans going home though. They've been brilliant.

Argentina were really excellent a credit to their country and association, a study in how the game can be developed given the correct approach and personnel, will be shouting them on next week and hopefully the week after.

Pretty feeble performance by Ireland. Totally blew our shot, and that's that. Injuries really stacked against us and the Pumas came out firing and played positively from the get go. Without a doubt my team for the rest of the tournament. Would be great for rugby if they managed to go the whole way.

Ugh... This is going to be tough to write, that was worse than losing to NZ two years ago... Mainly because I was a fool who completely overestimated Ireland and underestimated Argentina.

First of all, the game was won in the first twenty minutes and last ten minutes. Argentina came out all guns blazing whereas Ireland thought they could feel their way into the game like they had the last four games and it's obvious now that they couldn't. Tucelet's try late in the game killed us and the heads dropped from there.

Where did Ireland go wrong? Most people seem to jump straight to the defence out wide, I think that was a result of our breakdown. The intensity just wasn't there when Argentina were on top, we couldn't slow the ball down, we couldn't put pressure on the centres and therefore their back three did the damage that I thought we weren't going to give them the light of day to do. Add missing Payne to that just added to the misery.

The fifty minutes in between were good, Fitz showed Bowe probably shouldn't have started, he had a sense for the try line that we really needed. Unfortunately, we seriously missed Sexton. Madigan couldn't give us te field position we required and poor execution probably have Argentina 6-13 points depending on how harsh you want to be, Murray played his part also when we really needed him to be spot on. We also missed too many opportunities, three (?) trips to the 22 without points, Henshaw twice didn't give passes that would have lead to tries that would have grabbed us the lead. Unfortunately all our players made mistakes but the game was still there for the taking but the pillars of our game, kicking and rucking, let us down the set pieces were there.

The possible match changing decision was obviously Herrera's red card, it was a red no question but considering the citing commissioner believes Ireland should have played last week with 14 players we can't complain.

Well done Los Pumas, we'll be content with being the best of the tier 2 hemisphere for now (even if we only have 5 months more of that). I really hate you lot and was adamant I wanted Australia to dick on you next week 7 hours ago but you may as well just go and do it, show us what we could be with a little bottle.

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited:
ps. was wee Maradona at the stadium today?

After the Tonga match, Maradona joined the team at the dressing room and promised them he'd be there if they made it to the semis.

Unfortunately i knew Irlenad would choke, they always do it in World Cups.

I felt the players extremelly nervous while the Pumas just wanted to play a great game, they were fast but really calm and did everything perfectly. Incredible game by Argentina. I had the feeling they would win but i never thought they would puts 20 points on Ireland.

- - - Updated - - -

Unfortunately i knew Ireland would choke, they always do it in World Cups.

I felt the players extremely nervous while the Pumas just wanted to play a great game, they were fast but really calm and did everything perfectly. Incredible game by Argentina. I had the feeling they would win but i never thought they would put 20 points on Ireland.

I heard about a possible citation for Sánchez... ***** this ****, I'm sick. Every game we lose a player, learn to behave idiots!

I chose not to rest for 20 minutes and get up to watch this game................ **** sake. But I guess I missed the humbling of all those Irish fans who though Ireland had the semi-final on lock and that Argentina would be a walkover... Damn

Latest posts