• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] Quarter Final 2: New Zealand vs. France (17/10/2015)

These posters are likely the same group that swear black and blue that Barnes never cocked that 07 game up royally.........

We beat this ramshackle mob 30 nill two year ago! FFS. 30 NIL!!! They came over here with a point to prove after 2011 and failed miserably and imo have never been the same team they were pre 2011. Pre 2011 they were pretty capable. I forget what year they beat us in Dunedin and I remember another match with Chabal (wellington in 2009 I believe) where they were fairly impressive pre 2011. But they've been crap ever since 2011 end of story.

Brave talk, but history means nothing, France were very average leading up to the last 2 World Cups and were the better team in 2011 final having lost their last group game to Tonga, beware France can beat you next weekend and personally I think they will, you forget the All Blacks don't have the best of records in NH World Cups.
Best of luck anyway, lets hope it's a good game.

For me the main question is, can Uini Atonio and Noa Nakaitaci perform a Haka "against" New Zealand?
That would be awesome. :D

These posters are likely the same group that swear black and blue that Barnes never cocked that 07 game up royally.........

We beat this ramshackle mob 30 nill two year ago! FFS. 30 NIL!!! They came over here with a point to prove after 2011 and failed miserably and imo have never been the same team they were pre 2011. Pre 2011 they were pretty capable. I forget what year they beat us in Dunedin and I remember another match with Chabal (wellington in 2009 I believe) where they were fairly impressive pre 2011. But they've been crap ever since 2011 end of story.
History is just that so it doesn't matter but even so, wouldn't the more recent result played in the NH around the same time of year have more relevance or do you only watch the home games? I believe the last meeting between France and New Zealand ended 26-19, so one score in it.

You are quite right though, France haven't been good since 2011 and to knock New Zealand out of the World Cup would be quite some achievement.

Goodness I really hope that the powers that be read this.........Barnes would be a shoe in and would I laugh!!!!!

Oh yes!!!

Not likely though ... I think Barnes will get South Africa V Wales, as there's not too many other top candidates after you take out Joubert and Owens.

I'm picking Owens will get this match, as Barnes and Joubert both have history

Not likely though ... I think Barnes will get South Africa V Wales, as there's not too many other top candidates after you take out Joubert and Owens.

I'm picking Owens will get this match, as Barnes and Joubert both have history

Owens has refered the french against Ireland, is it possible to have twice the same referee ??

Owens has refered the french against Ireland, is it possible to have twice the same referee ??

I can't see why not; it should be the top four referees on form (who ever they are) for the quarter finals, but it's a matter of placing them in the correct matches, so there's no conflict of nationality ie a South African or Welsh ref cannot ref the South Africa V Wales match. If Barnes is in the top four, he's probably the likely candidate for that match, due to his neutrality. Like them or not Joubert and Owens are probably in the top four, and if the fourth is a Frenchman, he won't be able to ref against his own team. I doubt that Joubert would be a popular choice with your team or your supporters, so Owens seems like the logical choice to me.

I hope Wayne Barnes is the referee just to see the rugby forum implode and crash again !! Haha

... do you think the same thing might happen if Craig Joubert gets the gig?

Is it wrong of me to cheer on certain players in the All Black team but hope they lose the match??

Yes! :D

Last edited:
My head and heart tell me that France will loose this one. There has been no magic from us over the last 4 years. None what so ever! PSA has strangled and squeezed every last bit of flair and creativity out of French rugby and I just hope that by the time our new coach Noves gets to us it's not already too late!

But... I'm having some very very strong deja vu at the moment! In 1999 nobody thought France would win, I remember as a young man myself my friends and family almost didn't even watch it because we thought there wasn't a chance in hell! 8 years ago everyone same story. "This France team is terrible! They lost to Argentina! The All Blacks are the best! Bla bla bla!". 4 years ago before the final every news paper in new Zealand "this will be the worst final in history! Can this French team get any worst?! This will be the biggest point difference in a final ever!" And yet we didn't just lay down and die so...

May the rugby gods be kind to France one last time! Please everybody loves it when we quick you out in the knock out stages!it's a tradition! It just wouldn't be the same if we didn't!

Last edited:
I am amped for this match. After I heard Corey Jane speak on this match about a month or so ago I was convinced the ABs will be up for it and we will finally put to bed the demons of 2007! I reckon we win by double figures with NMS MoM again ;)

I'm going to this match. Can't wait. A lot of confident AB fans on here, but I'm not so sure. France always seem to grow 10 feet when they play the ABs in knockout rugby. Expecting France to bring out a performance they simply won't repeat again in this RWC. The question is can this AB team finally bring their A games this RWC?

I'm going to this match. Can't wait. A lot of confident AB fans on here, but I'm not so sure. France always seem to grow 10 feet when they play the ABs in knockout rugby. Expecting France to bring out a performance they simply won't repeat again in this RWC. The question is can this AB team finally bring their A games this RWC?

I'm confident, but I dont think you'll find a single ABs supporter that doesnt respect what France is capable of, particualry against us!!

I just think its a really good spot for us. By all accounts there has been a lot of good stuff going on behind the scenes with the ABs, and I have absolutely no doubt what they have shown on the field has been deliberately held back/artificially simulated. We seem to be the lukciest of all the teams going into the QFs in terms of injuries/suspensions as well! Time will tell but I'm confident we win this one.

I am amped for this match. After I heard Corey Jane speak on this match about a month or so ago I was convinced the ABs will be up for it and we will finally put to bed the demons of 2007! I reckon we win by double figures with NMS MoM again ;)

NMS will turn Dulin inside out, he's probably the weakest link in this French side considering he's playing out of position.

all the french posters on here surrendering is curling my toenails.

and 2011

all taught us that the french will explode when they are least expected too.

I include 2011 in there as well because look! We destroyed the french in pool play, they limped through to the final and only just managed to beat a 14 man welsh side and looked crap doing it to somehow make the final then showed up and played the house down and got within a zigzag paper thickness of beating the All Blacks on Eden park!

That 2011 2nd half when the french got into a position where they were behind and needed to throw everything at the AB's to make it a contest and bloody well did so. That is what the All Blacks need to expect.
The Irish game? Absolutely meaningless... The french have a secret mode of play they save for world cup knockout games against the All Blacks.
The french will absolutely have some borderline tactics (Im not saying dirty, just something that crosses the line that may give them an edge.) to try and whether the ref picks up on it or not will have a major impact on the game. The french wont be showing up and expecting to simply beat the All Blacks playing rugby by the book its as simple as that.

- - - Updated - - -

on the woodcock factor. he is the best prop we have ever produced but hes far from his best. IMO Bringing in Moody for woodcock actually strengthens our scrum overall. It probably wont happen but I like the idea of staring moody.... crockett is good off the bench and moody will be a player opposition teams wont have as much homework on.

all the french posters on here surrendering is curling my toenails.

and 2011

all taught us that the french will explode when they are least expected too.

I include 2011 in there as well because look! We destroyed the french in pool play, they limped through to the final and only just managed to beat a 14 man welsh side and looked crap doing it to somehow make the final then showed up and played the house down and got within a zigzag paper thickness of beating the All Blacks on Eden park!

That 2011 2nd half when the french got into a position where they were behind and needed to throw everything at the AB's to make it a contest and bloody well did so. That is what the All Blacks need to expect.
The Irish game? Absolutely meaningless... The french have a secret mode of play they save for world cup knockout games against the All Blacks.
The french will absolutely have some borderline tactics (Im not saying dirty, just something that crosses the line that may give them an edge.) to try and whether the ref picks up on it or not will have a major impact on the game. The french wont be showing up and expecting to simply beat the All Blacks playing rugby by the book its as simple as that.

Winning this game will not erase what happened in 99/07 but in 2011 we actually had issues as well we lost our 3rd string 10 early were left with a 4th string 10 who was about 10kg over weight, not to mention the pressure of playing at home with the burden of a 24 year WC winning drought . Thats got to count for something and I don't think France were that terribly unfancied.

I actually think it appears from this site atleast the average non kiwi considers this game to be in 50/50 territory which means France will be in a way lacking the element of surprise. How will France cope with this new found favouritism? Maybe with a few wines i hope lol.

You would have to think that the AB's will be expecting a massive effort from the French, so they know they will have to be at their best to have a chance of winning. Hopefully their best is good enough. The AB's best lately hasn't been too impressive so the French or any of the remaining teams can beat them but in reality it is a bit less likely then 50-50.

Richie McCaw has said that after the 2007 Quarters defeat, he considered retirement from the All Blacks. Obviously he didn't go down that path, but he sure and **** won't want to end is career in the same way it sort of started in 2007.

Winning this game will not erase what happened in 99/07 but in 2011 we actually had issues as well we lost our 3rd string 10 early were left with a 4th string 10 who was about 10kg over weight, not to mention the pressure of playing at home with the burden of a 24 year WC winning drought . Thats got to count for something and I don't think France were that terribly unfancied.

I actually think it appears from this site atleast the average non kiwi considers this game to be in 50/50 territory which means France will be in a way lacking the element of surprise. How will France cope with this new found favouritism? Maybe with a few wines i hope lol.

You would have to think that the AB's will be expecting a massive effort from the French, so they know they will have to be at their best to have a chance of winning. Hopefully their best is good enough. The AB's best lately hasn't been too impressive so the French or any of the remaining teams can beat them but in reality it is a bit less likely then 50-50.

Exactly, I don't think anyone is expecting anything but a massive effort from the French, including the All Blacks themselves; I still think that the ABs have prepared themselves as best as they can for this match, so I still think well win it ... I am expecting a close match though.

that is a very narrow view of that game, Donald wasn't just some random 4th string 10 he was an experienced (~20 caps?) former long term backup to dan carter and starter in a number of tests and pretty much the only 10 in NZ who could tackle as well as Dan Carter. Forget the kick he made which was a bonus as Cruden wasn't kicking well and Weepu had an injury which affected his kicking as well. But Donald made more tackles for the amount of time he was on the field than any other all black in that game more tackles per minute than McCaw... only 2nd to Conrad smith for the backs even though he only played 50min. He didn't just fill in he kinda saved our bacon. When the french turned on the heat and nailed that channel our forwards struggled big time with McCaw stuck at the bottom of most rucks I believe Cruden would have seriously struggled. we got very lucky...The

difference between the pool match we dominated and the final we only just scraped him in was the huge difference in the effort from the french, nothing else.