• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] Quarter Final 2: New Zealand vs. France (17/10/2015)

Wouldn't be surprised to see Barrett at fullback and Smith on the wing, to be honest.

Yeah I think you might be right, although obviously Naholo is an option - I guess I was wondering who people think might get called up assuming Naholo wasnt considered ready for a big match - which player from the ITM cup would get the big call up? I'm think Cory Jane could easily be a starter!

If Piutau is fit he would fit in no probs. Was watching the auck vs tas game for a bit and saw him on the bench? Don't know what that was about but he should have been in there in the 1st place. Id have to start Naholo though i reckon, but Piutau would be next in line. No way would i start Barrett though. Weakening one position to strengthen another in such a big game doesnt make sense to me.

You will all know the game plan if France contest the Haka as in previous years, the camp is very excited about it, and the All Blacks could possibly respond with the throat cutting action, but that will be playing into are own hands. PSA has been asked to vacate the changing rooms before the game and at half time, and the players will now decide their own destiny, this could be the nail in the coffin for the AB's............!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wouldn't be surprised to see Barrett at fullback and Smith on the wing, to be honest.

That's what i was thinking,I think Naholos played himself out of the tournament. Fekitoa to cover on the bench or SBW (hope not)
Edit: just re read question "Piutau"!!!
- - - Updated - - -

Can't wait for the game. Going to be a nervous wreck tomorrow morning though.

Bro I was like that at the start of the week, I've calmed down now and am more optimistic as time goes on.

Last edited:
You will all know the game plan if France contest the Haka as in previous years, the camp is very excited about it, and the All Blacks could possibly respond with the throat cutting action, but that will be playing into are own hands. PSA has been asked to vacate the changing rooms before the game and at half time, and the players will now decide their own destiny, this could be the nail in the coffin for the AB's............!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is why I want to destroy the French this weekend, sick of their "flair" play, get some consistency and be a real team for once, instead of randomly stepping it up. I hope we put them in their place.

sounds like a very worried man this Kiwi_, incredible what mind games can do !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If Piutau is fit he would fit in no probs. Was watching the auck vs tas game for a bit and saw him on the bench? Don't know what that was about but he should have been in there in the 1st place. Id have to start Naholo though i reckon, but Piutau would be next in line. No way would i start Barrett though. Weakening one position to strengthen another in such a big game doesnt make sense to me.
He started, played well, then went off injured. Not sure the extent of the injury.

sounds like a very worried man this Kiwi_, incredible what mind games can do !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not worried, just over all this BS and talk and it's hard to respect France sometimes, you're an inconsistent team and it's frustrating and become predictable, sort your attitudes and mentalities out.

Gaston man...be a little humble my friend...faire attention, c'est très possible que vous allez écrasés ce soir, je ne crois pas que l'histoire d'2007 va se répéter encore une fois...

Come on you mighty All Blacks!

I'm not worried, just over all this BS and talk and it's hard to respect France sometimes, you're an inconsistent team and it's frustrating and become predictable, sort your attitudes and mentalities out.

That's not something we have chosen.
Whether it's in sport or any other matters, France is never as good as when all odds are against her. There is a kind of togetherness and defiance which only come when we are in extreme difficulties.
In addition, there is not one slightest bit of expectation in the country, so if they want to prove everybody wrong here, then let's put up a good fight tonight !

Last edited:

Bang on mate. Barrett is quick, we all know that, but his primary role is 10. And I'd rather him remain on the bench for Carter than Colin Slade tbh. We made our bed with Naholo, now we have to sleep in it and back him as the winger-cover if Savea or Skudder get injured. Ben Smith is use to playing on the wing, but he's always said that fullback is his preferred option, and we spent the last 4 years screaming that Smith should play his natural position. We've FINALLY dropped Dagg and all people can think of is sticking Ben Smith back on the wing? Bleedin heck. Let one of the best fullbacks actually play fullback. Naholo's handling skills have been lack luster and he hasn't had a major impact, but he's hardly losing us games.

I'm not sure if it's worth quibbling about what winger is in form and what winger isn't anyway. These are knock out matches now. I'd be mightily surprised if you see razzle dazzle Super 15 style footy - at least for the majority of the match. Wingers need to execute, but they're hardly the most important position on the field in this situation.

Last edited:
Bang on mate. Barrett is quick, we all know that, but his primary role is 10. And I'd rather him remain on the bench for Carter than Colin Slade tbh. We made our bed with Naholo, now we have to sleep in it and back him as the winger-cover if Savea or Skudder get injured. Ben Smith is use to playing on the wing, but he's always said that fullback is his preferred option, and we spent the last 4 years screaming that Smith should play his natural position. We've FINALLY dropped Dagg and all people can think of is sticking Ben Smith back on the wing? Bleedin heck. Let one of the best fullbacks actually play fullback. Naholo's handling skills have been lack luster and he hasn't had a major impact, but he's hardly losing us games.

I'm not sure if it's worth quibbling about what winger is in form and what winger isn't anyway. These are knock out matches now. I'd be mightily surprised if you see razzle dazzle Super 15 style footy - at least for the majority of the match. Wingers need to execute, but they're hardly the most important position on the field in this situation.

It was Hansen's mistake to blood Naholo at the RWC those, I hope it doesn't ruin his career.

inconsistency is never THAT predictable, by its very nature, is it?

I have massive respect for the ABs and some fear on behalf of France tonight so perhaps "you" will destroy France tonight, Kiwi

Half your team are legends of the game and you have a top coach and wonderful additions such as Scudder who looks very pacy and tricky

A depleted Ireland, who have never beaten the ABs, beat France by 15 points last week, so I fear a procession but let's hope there is a French plan and some bravery asserting it and that the better team - on the night - wins it.

I think they'll certainly persist with him after the WC. I actually think Hansen was more excited about him than Skudder. He has shown what he can do with one awesome break against Argentina earlier this year, and a try against Georgia. Naholo's main problem at present is lack of game time and being expected to pick up the rhythm straight away. This is where I come back to the Piutau argument and how useful he would have been, but alas.

Barely anyone expects France to win. Every iota of pressure in this match up is on the shoulders of the ABs. France are expected to get blown out. How will the AB's react to true Rugby World Cup pressure? In 1999, 2007 and 2011 they wilted against the French. It's time for another slice of Gallic humble pie my Kiwi friend!!!!

If you cast your minds back to NZ four years ago when the French team under Marc Lièvremont were supposedly in disarray - much as they are said to be today, they very nearly won the final!
Are the circumstances very different today? General French discontent with PSA and NZ firm favourites?
However, on paper, the Blacks should be the better team but a Q final in a World Cup is a one-off game and the unexpected can occur.
Let's hope it does!
Allez les bleus!

Incidentally, are France playing in blue this evening or are the NZ wearing white?

If you cast your minds back to NZ four years ago when the French team under Marc Lièvremont were supposedly in disarray - much as they are said to be today, they very nearly won the final!
Are the circumstances very different today? General French discontent with PSA and NZ firm favourites?
However, on paper, the Blacks should be the better team but a Q final in a World Cup is a one-off game and the unexpected can occur.
Let's hope it does!
Allez les bleus!

Incidentally, are France playing in blue this evening or are the NZ wearing white?

france are in red and nz in black me thinks

Edit: yeah just checked that up, whoever wins their pool are now 'home' for the quarters ;)

Last edited:

Latest posts