• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] Pool C: New Zealand vs. Argentina (20/09/2015)

Nonu was playing fine, no problem, but sitting right on the sideline with nobody in front of us in row 1 at Wembley, SBW looked psyched up from before the game to the half time warm up and when he came on he gave Nonu a big hug and it was great to see the rapport between them. Then SBW went on to make a massive impact in the midfield, he was at his best off loading and penetrating the Argie defensive line, taking two and three tacklers at a time and still offloading, he was magnificent.
Our discipline needed to be better in the first half and the players need to make sure they don't get frustrated by Barnes overly officious style of refereeing.
Poor Nehe fluffed a sitter that would have meant a bonus point. He was subbed a while later and the poor kid was gutted.
Savea was relatively quiet and took the wrong options.Bring on Naholo. Barrett looked great when he came on.

Nonu was playing fine, no problem, but sitting right on the sideline with nobody in front of us in row 1 at Wembley, SBW looked psyched up from before the game to the half time warm up and when he came on he gave Nonu a big hug and it was great to see the rapport between them. Then SBW went on to make a massive impact in the midfield, he was at his best off loading and penetrating the Argie defensive line, taking two and three tacklers at a time and still offloading, he was magnificent.
Our discipline needed to be better in the first half and the players need to make sure they don't get frustrated by Barnes overly officious style of refereeing.
Poor Nehe fluffed a sitter that would have meant a bonus point. He was subbed a while later and the poor kid was gutted.
Savea was relatively quiet and took the wrong options.Bring on Naholo. Barrett looked great when he came on.

Many Kiwis in the crowd? The TV showed isolated Kiwis, but didn't really give us a good insight to how many supporters we had there. The majority of the crowd sounded English and were definitely going for Argentina - Which is fine, I always root for the underdog. The reception McCaw got certainly smelt of English cynicism. Not saying he didn't deserve that treatment after what he did, but the crowd seemed eager to get on his back and it continued through the whole match which was over the top.

Not a big sbw fan myself but he stepped up when given his chance and I respect that

I though the reffing was consistent except for the first 15-20, three times in their 22 and three penalties and only 1 yellow, pretty much the first 2 penalties in our own half and 2 yellow, they were deserved ( Richie looked like he meant to do it to me) but think the argies were lucky not to have another one

The crowd was mobbed with Puma supporters, yes a lot of Kiwis were there but we weren't sitting in blocks like the Pumas were. I also noticed when going to get beer there were a lot of Puma wearing fans with English/pommy accents, I didn't like that. I fronted some of them up and it was stories about "Oh I always liked them", fair enough but a bit weird. WE were definitely outnumbered in the ground but afterward we went upstairs in the Hilton and it was mobbed with Kiwis. Incredibly well behaved crowd all round, the Kiwi's (except me of course) , the Puma fans and the neutrals, everybody was very well behaved.
Wayne Barnes is a pretty ordinary ref. He's good at what is close to him but he has real problems keeping the defensive line onside.
McCaw was booed heavily when he was sent to the Bin but even more heavily when he tried to speak to the crowd after the game and the booing came from the neutrals as much as from the Puma fans.
Conrad was not booed.
Neither was affected by it and they both played much better after their respective spells in the bin.
The Argies were VERY lucky not to have a second yellow in front of their own posts and once again it was Barnes who failed us. You just know if it had have been us infringing the card would have been out in a heartbeat, the guy definitely has issues with the colour Black.
4 English fellas were sitting together behind us and they had been giving us some banter when we were behind, when the AB's were attacking hard in the last 20 minutes, from my point in the very front row 7 metres in from the try line, the Argies were offside on their defensive line 4 phases in a row and Barnes never picked up one of them, I had time to turn to the Poms on each occasion and point to the offending Argie players and receive their nods in agreement. They saw it as plain as day, 4 phases in a row. Not a mile offside but a good metre or more on each occasion. All Barnes had to do was look out across the line and throw his hand out to warn them to get back but nothing. Consequently overtime we went wide to our left they were up very quick to stymie attacking moves and on two occasions only the brilliance of Sonny Bill and his great strength allowed us to keep the ball moving and retain possession.
Very disappointing to see that kind of glaring issue in a referees performance. I'm wondering if he has vision issues beyond 10 metres.

Last edited:
Considering the opponent, i think it was a great display by the Pumas, specially in the first half. The only problem in the first half is that we should have scored more points when the AB were down to 13 men. That was the only chance to resist the last 20 minutes.
Its Hard to equal the AB intensity for 80 minutes, and If you add to that such a quality bench, its almost an impossible feat for us.
Great game by Senatore, Creevy and Hernández.
I agree with Creevy being the Best hooker a the moment.
Cordero defended better than expected against top opposition which is a good sign for the future.
Mom was A. Smith, dont get Retallicks pick.
All in all, if we keep playing at this level we wont have problems getting out of the group.

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited:
McCaw was booed heavily when he was sent to the Bin but even more heavily when he tried to speak to the crowd after the game and the booing came from the neutrals as much as from the Puma fans.
Good sign for a winning AB team. McCaw will be treated politely by the Irish.

The booing isn't on, but everyone loves an underdog Jones, I would read into it to much, I'm only seeing one game and that's the NZ vs Georgia and I have never wanted to see a team so much. Will be honoured to watch my first Haka..

Pretty happy with the result, can't and won't complain about any of the Yellow cards they were all for cynical play, and none of them were dangerous, so Yellow was fair. Both teams will have to show more discipline all they'll get found out later in the tournament.

Not a complete performance from the ABs by any means, but it was a clash between two tier one sides; both probably showing a lack of recent game time with some poor execution at times. It was a typical All Black performance in the sense that they started to gain some ascendancy in the last 20 mins or so. The Pumas played well for most of the game, but I was thinking that a one point lead at half time, was never going to be enough.

Savea for me is the biggest waste of space in this team (shortly followed by Woodcock). Fekitoa, Naholo, SBW anybody but him in that 11 jersey come the quarters and semis for me.

I was glad to see Faumuina atleast be decent in this game. Maybe gives us some other options.

But yeah Fekitoa or Naholo has to start in the 11.

I'm not sure about starting non-wingers on the wing (Fekitoa and SBW). Also I think that we need to give Savea a bit more time to find form. He has been one of the most dynamic wingers in the world for a few years now, lets not give up n him after a few games. I also though, despite not having a good game he did show signs of finding form. He looked better on his feet, more in shape, I think its just a matter of time.

My understanding is that the wingers spots are Savea's and Naholos, but obviously NMS has a couple games at least to claim a spot. After last night though he is gonna have to have a blinder v Namibia to challenge for a spot though.

As for the game:
* Great to see SBW make such an impact, deserved MOM I reckon - and certainly silenced a few critics on that performance. Looks like he is a lock for bench cover at least from now on.
* Also promising to see the ABs really stretch out and dominate that last 20 minutes. They bombed 3 tries was it? So could easily have been a 30 point game instead of 10.
* Really impressed with Argentina for the first 60. If they play like that I think they are a good chance of making the semis
* Really disappointed with McCaw for that yellow card. Has he commented on it? I think he is arguably the greatest rugby player of all time, but that was such a poor moment in his career - brain explosion I guess...
* Sad for NMS that he dropped that ball, it really looked to dent his confidence. I had high hopes of him being a star at this WC but I fear he might not play much of a role now with Naholo coming back.
* Otherwise I thought the ABs just looked a little rusty and will be better for the run. A bit of a shame we won't see them get challenged now until the Qs. I'd prefer to see them get at least one more tough game before the Qs but so be it...

Last edited:
I'm not sure about starting non-wingers on the wing (Fekitoa and SBW). Also I think that we need to give Savea a bit more time to find form. He has been one of the most dynamic wingers in the world for a few years now, lets not give up n him after a few games. I also though, despite not having a good game he did show signs of finding form. He looked better on his feet, more in shape, I think its just a matter of time.

My understanding is that the wingers spots are Savea's and Naholos, but obviously NMS has a couple games at least to claim a spot. After last night though he is gonna have to have a blinder v Namibia to challenge for a spot though.

I don't think the wingers spots are completely sewn up TBH: both Savea and NMS should get another opportunity against Namibia (with Slade at fullback), and Naholo should start in game three, if, for no other reason, to give the others a rest ... NMS will undoubtedly feature more as the tournament goes on

I don't think the wingers spots are completely sewn up TBH: both Savea and NMS should get another opportunity against Namibia (with Slade at fullback), and Naholo should start in game three, if, for no other reason, to give the others a rest ... NMS will undoubtedly feature more as the tournament goes on

For sure, but my understanding is that Hansen and co have a preference for Savea and Naholo and NMS needed to show enough to take Naholo's spot. Sadly he only has one chance left but I fear that he may have played himself out in the Arg game...

For sure, but my understanding is that Hansen and co have a preference for Savea and Naholo and NMS needed to show enough to take Naholo's spot. Sadly he only has one chance left but I fear that he may have played himself out in the Arg game...

My gut feeling is that it isn't his last chance, and that he will get more game in the next few matches even if it's off the bench (we might even see him at fullback, we will probably see Naholo and NMS on both of the wings in one match)

To get back to this game, I was expecting that our wings would be tested under the high ball more often

The booing isn't on, but everyone loves an underdog Jones, I would read into it to much, I'm only seeing one game and that's the NZ vs Georgia and I have never wanted to see a team so much. Will be honoured to watch my first Haka..

Yep. Who here remembers Eden Park becoming Lansdowne Road Stadium for a day in 2011?

I only caught the replay and didn't see any incident, apparently carter is at risk of being cited for a kick to the head. anyone got more information on it?

Well after a huge unjustified neg rep from Oly, who apparently takes the view that English posters can say what they want but a slightly excitable post from me with a curse word is out of the question and xenophobic. I'll try to give me thoughts on the match.

Aaron Smith was man of the match for me. He applied superb pressure to the opposition halfback and tackled with perfect timing. His decision making and snipes around the fringes are dynamite. Probably the best halfback in the world.

Our substitutions and fitness looked like the difference to me. Barrett, Vito, Faumaina and Cane all injected a big boost and impact. Crockett as well - I now believe he should start ahead of Woody. Yes the subs get the benefit of facing against tired legs but I'm convinced Crockett is just a step or two faster, and I've said before on this forum that his tackling can be devastating if he gets on a good angle. I'm very tempted to start our full strength team against Tonga, with the inclusions of Vito and Crockett. I think Kiwi was right about Vito but let's not discount Kainos power and tackling stats. I just really feel like this ABs team needs speed, freshness. Does anyone else feel that too? At times we feel very old man like.

Well done Argentina. Only tackled with 79 percent accuracy but made over 100 tackles and you made almost all of the important ones count. The likes of Julian Savea and Ben Smith sometimes didn't always break that first tackle. I had a feeling the result would go like this.

I'd start Skudder, Savea and possible Kaino again for the next game. Skudders services we could do with until Naholo is ok. Savea needs more game time - we've selected him and we need him. Too late to quibble about form, and I'm thinking a Messam/Cane/Kaino loose trio for the next match.

Wayne Barnes improved for sure but claims that he's one of the best referees in the world now? Get real.

My gut feeling is that it isn't his last chance, and that he will get more game in the next few matches even if it's off the bench (we might even see him at fullback, we will probably see Naholo and NMS on both of the wings in one match)

To get back to this game, I was expecting that our wings would be tested under the high ball more often

Yeah I agree. I would think he will start on the wing in the next match and if he goes well perhaps he will get another shot. What I am saying is that I think he needed to prove himself in both, particularly the first game cause that was against the only really challenging opposition.

Anyway, either way we are blessed with three exciting wingers - it would be nice to see them coming into form though.

Two All Blacks in the bin.
I look forward to reading the Kiwi press tomorrow.

Here's a head start for you Olyy

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...rilliant-in-all-blacks-rugby-world-cup-opener

Yeah I agree. I would think he will start on the wing in the next match and if he goes well perhaps he will get another shot. What I am saying is that I think he needed to prove himself in both, particularly the first game cause that was against the only really challenging opposition.

Anyway, either way we are blessed with three exciting wingers - it would be nice to see them coming into form though.

Yes, it's great that they can all put pressure on one another for those starting spots too; I'm pleased NMS will get other chances, because to judge him on one outing against the (most likely) strongest opposition in the pool, when the opposition Naholo is likely to face, is likely to be weaker, wouldn't be very fair

... It doesn't look like anyone's said it yet, so congrats ABs on the win

Last edited:
Here's a head start for you Olyy

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...rilliant-in-all-blacks-rugby-world-cup-opener

Yes, it's great that they can all put pressure on one another for those starting spots too; I'm pleased NMS will get other chances, because to judge him on one outing against the (most likely) strongest opposition in the pool, when the opposition Naholo is likely to face, is likely to be weaker, wouldn't be very fair

... It doesn't look like anyone's said it yet, so congrats ABs on the win

Shaggy.

Tried to reply to your last PM but...

"Shaggy has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space."

- - - Updated - - -

Shot down before getting airborne!!

huh ?!

If Argentina beats the All Blacks ...?! you were saying ???

- - - Updated - - -

All Blacks weren't expecting passes ????
They missed 10 quick passes !!!

I only caught the replay and didn't see any incident, apparently carter is at risk of being cited for a kick to the head. anyone got more information on it?

If it's what I'm thinking of it would be ridiculous. When Argentina scored their try, Daniel Carter was running and by bad luck caught the try scorers head. But there is no way it was intentional or premeditates - I think if he expected him to go for the try he would have been doing more to go for the ball.

Anyway, look at Argentina's try and you will see what I suspect to be the incident.

Latest posts