• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] Pool C: New Zealand vs. Argentina (20/09/2015)

I don't know. Sure Sexton is capital, but the play world class in other aspects: I would rather take care of the forwards than Sexton.

We'll see them if we make it out of the pool.

You will make it and you will give Ireland a hell of a game, definitely have a chance of beating them. Just have to watch the Georgians, they could prove very tough, they're physical and good in defense, they won't have the overall quality to win it themselves without you losing it. So just need to put them away and get the midfield firing and finishing.

Savea for me is the biggest waste of space in this team (shortly followed by Woodcock). Fekitoa, Naholo, SBW anybody but him in that 11 jersey come the quarters and semis for me.

I was glad to see Faumuina atleast be decent in this game. Maybe gives us some other options.

But yeah Fekitoa or Naholo has to start in the 11.

Julians fitness and conditioning has gone out the window. He is now too skinny, going from being overweight to losing all his mass.. What the bloody hell is going on there, he's over compensated.. He's not running at players with any purpose either, he's passing the ball on from deep when he gets it and expects Ben to run it up, or Carter to bomb it..

Last edited:
I don't know why people aren't worried about Ireland they looked the most accomplished of teams on show this weekend. Yes they had a pretty easy ride having to play Canada but they didn't fluff their lines at all who else can say that? Possibly France but they didn't look as together as Ireland did

And yeah Creevy is the best hooker in the world by miles.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know why people aren't worried about Ireland they looked the most accomplished of teams on show this weekend. Yes they had a pretty easy ride having to play Canada but they didn't fluff their lines at all who else can say that? Possibly France but they didn't look as together as Ireland did

I want to see them against some decent opposition before I comment much but they are the best team in Europe for a few years now nobody can argue that.

Unfortunately for Ireland, you take care of Sexton you take care of the entire team.
Well, you could have said the same thing about Carter for the ABs in 2011 - didn't work out that way!

Ireland are composed, well balanced, with experienced talent in the right places. But I see your point - hit them hard at a critical point and the careful planning collapses. I think they have more depth than that, but let's wait see what happens against France. Apart from the England/Aus/Wales pool, that's probably the most telling match before the knock outs.

ps. The points about Arg v Ire are well made.

Last edited:
Well I think that went how everyone predicted, maybe slightly under estimation for us, that is due to poor finishing.

Good effort form Argentina, a good hardy game we needed in the pool.

Were the Argies ever in our half after the 45 minute mark though?

Crockett should be a starter.

I think Savea will lose his spot once Naholo is fit.

Conrad was having a poor game but really came right in the final stages of the game, happy to see him find some form towards the end.

SBW is always good vs Argentina, I hope he can pull that sort of attacking performance out against other tougher opposition.

I felt Aaron Smith was MotM. Read also had a very good game.

Bringing on Vito instead of a specialized lock is such a great weapon to have.

The best bench will probably win this RWC and I believe have the best, just got to make sure we play a little better in the 1st half, I think some more penetration is needed, I appreciate Julians effort, but think Naholo will provide that and do a far better job.

Good summary, the argies did a job on Conrad and Nonu today with big line speed making the AB wingers a bit non existent so they could play there usual expansive game, which is only a credit to Argentina, but this is the game the AB needed to get there campaign started..

I think you misunderstood me. As NZ have three easy games now (and the best part of month before their next real competitive game) they don't want to peak right now and fire on all cylinders so. Which is why it makes sense they were a little rusty.

I don't think Georgia will be the easy game that some people are thinking. They could be a hard nut to crack.

I though it was a pretty good contest, as we have come to expect from these clashes. Argentina are a bloody good side, I am sure they will get to the quarter finals, where they will give their opponent a lot of trouble.

Finally, I've no problem with either of the yellow cards, but if Wayne Barnes is the best referee England has to offer then that doesn't say much about the rest. He misses an awful lot of offsides and allows a lot of "not releasing" by tackle assists and consistently allowed jacklers to put their hands on the ground past the ball before grabbing the ball. Not good enough at this level.

I don't think Georgia will be the easy game that some people are thinking. They could be a hard nut to crack.

I though it was a pretty good contest, as we have come to expect from these clashes. Argentina are a bloody good side, I am sure they will get to the quarter finals, where they will give their opponent a lot of trouble.

Finally, I've no problem with either of the yellow cards, but if Wayne Barnes is the best referee England has to offer then that doesn't say much about the rest. He misses an awful lot of offsides and allows a lot of "not releasing" by tackle assists and consistently allowed jacklers to put their hands on the ground past the ball before grabbing the ball. Not good enough at this level.

He was consistent to both sides. Damn you boys down under hate him.

To be fair to Barnes he tried to let the game flow and bring some consistency, but the Argies killed the ball a lot and were cynical and us.. well we committed professional fouls.. one very blatantly from our captain that got displayed on the big screen for all of the World to see. Overall he did fine, but I feel he is lost in two minds about what his true interpretation of some of the rules are, especially around the break down. There was on instance at the end where we were all over the ball and he said we were not at the ball when the Argentinian player didn't release.. don't know where he's coming from sometimes.

As I said earlier, Argentina were lucky to not be reduced to 13 men, as in the first quarter of the match then continuously infringed to prevent us scoring tries. Which worked to their favour as it kept them in the game and at one point got them the lead. It's not really a complaint or a serious accusation and I'm pretty happy with his performance as should everyone else be.

Well I think that went how everyone predicted, maybe slightly under estimation for us, that is due to poor finishing.

Good effort form Argentina, a good hardy game we needed in the pool.

Were the Argies ever in our half after the 45 minute mark though?

Crockett should be a starter.

I think Savea will lose his spot once Naholo is fit.

Conrad was having a poor game but really came right in the final stages of the game, happy to see him find some form towards the end.

SBW is always good vs Argentina, I hope he can pull that sort of attacking performance out against other tougher opposition.

I felt Aaron Smith was MotM. Read also had a very good game.

Bringing on Vito instead of a specialized lock is such a great weapon to have.

The best bench will probably win this RWC and I believe have the best, just got to make sure we play a little better in the 1st half, I think some more penetration is needed, I appreciate Julians effort, but think Naholo will provide that and do a far better job.
NZ definitely have the best bench. England maybe 2nd (we've even ripped off SBW). Thats my prediction for the final sorted.

He was consistent to both sides. Damn you boys down under hate him.

Consistent to both sides yes, but that doesn't excuse missing basic stuff that should refereeing 101 at this level.

For example, allowing midfield offside might seem to be the same for both sides in theory, but in reality it gives teams that predominantly use a rush defence a bigger advantage.

Same for not releasing and players supporting themselves beyond the ball. You could say its the same for both sides, but allowing it negates the advantages to players who have superior skill and good balance because allows less skilled players to compete with them by cheating.

- - - Updated - - -

Who is your favourite cooky? It's gotta be big Nigel..

IMO, Nigel Owens is the No. 1 referee in the world, closely followed by Craig Joubert.

Mr Daylight is third.

Consistent to both sides yes, but that doesn't excuse missing basic stuff that should refereeing 101 at this level.

For example, allowing midfield offside might seem to be the same for both sides in theory, but in reality it gives teams that predominantly use a rush defence a bigger advantage.

Same for not releasing and players supporting themselves beyond the ball. You could say its the same for both sides, but allowing it negates the advantages to players who have superior skill and good balance because allows less skilled players to compete with them by cheating.

I noticed a number of Argentinian players were ahead of the kicker during their kick-offs.

I noticed a number of Argentinian players were ahead of the kicker during their kick-offs.

I noticed a carter kick with a few of your backs offside.

Edit: Joubert is a horrid ref.

The Haters will never acknowledge this (they never do because they are so invested in their hate), but I thought SBW's impact when he came on was nothing short of outstanding. Up to that point, the Argie's midfield backs pretty much had Ma' a and Conrad contained, but when SBW came on, we seemed to get a lot more go-forward in that department. Eleven runs for 48 metres gained and with five offloads in only one half of rugby is pretty impressive for a man some say shouldn't even be there. His impact definitely changed the game.

Last edited:
The Haters will never acknowledge this (they never do because they are so invested in their hate), but I thought SBW's impact when he came on was nothing short of outstanding. Up to that point, the Argie's midfield backs pretty much had Ma' a and Conrad contained, but when SBW came on, we seemed to get a lot more go-forward in that department. Eleven runs for 48 metres gained and with five offloads in only one half of rugby is pretty impressive for a man some say shouldn't even be there. His impact definitely changed the game.

I'm a hater and I acknowledged it. He looked good and it's encouraging and confidence building. Just hoping he can bring that impact into a big game, QF, SF, Final, w/e, as long as he's producing that Rugby when it matters then he has my vote.

Latest posts