• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2014 U20 Six Nations

Peat

International
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Ulster
Right, thought I'd kick this thread off as, lets be honest, a lot of the time the U20 games on Friday night are better fun to watch. Plus this is the future! The future will be broadcast.

So far the England, Wales and Ireland squads have been released. Not sure about the others.

To talk about the England squad (full squad lists below) - feels a bit of a mixed bag. The big one is no Anthony Watson, straight to the big time, which I'm sure must be very disappointing for everyone else. That said, going by reputation, Earle/Kibirige/Collins is a unit that doesn't need him. Only issue is that Kibirige and Collins both might end up on club duty. Centres aren't particularly special, Tompkins probably has the biggest rep there, the two scrum-halves have both been talked up a lot. Up front looks strong, although we might lose Wilson to club duty. Harry Thacker is tiny, currently listed as sub-13 stone, a fact which all right minded England fans must memorise and chuck in the face of people whinging/joking about oversized England packs at every opportunity. Itoje is probably the standout name in the rest of the pack, hugely talked up, fair bit of buzz around Chisholm and Ellis as well.

The England squad

Danny Hobbs-Awoyemi (Northampton Saints)
Scott Wilson (Newcastle Falcons)
Alex Lundberg (London Wasps)
Harry Rudkin (Leicester Tigers)
Paul Hill (Leeds Carnegie)

Harry Thacker (Leicester Tigers)
Tom Woolstencroft (Bath Rugby)

Maro Itoje (Saracens)
Jonny Hill (Gloucester Rugby)
Tom Ellis (Bath Rugby)
Charlie Ewels (Bath Rugby)

Ross Moriarty (Gloucester Rugby)
Will Owen (Leicester Tigers)
Gus Jones (London Wasps)
Lewis Ludlow (Gloucester Rugby)
Joel Conlon (Exeter Chiefs)
James Chisholm (Harlequins)

Callum Braley (Bristol Rugby)
Stuart Townsend (Exeter Chiefs)

Billy Burns (Gloucester Rugby)
Louis Grimoldby (Harlequins)
Sam Olver (Northampton Saints)

Harry Sloan (Harlequins)
Max Stelling (Worcester Warriors)
Nick Tompkins (Saracens)
Tom Stephenson (Northampton Saints)

Nathan Earle (Saracens)
Henry Purdy (Leicester Tigers)
Zach Kibirige (Newcastle Falcons)
Tom Collins (Northampton Saints)
Howard Packman (Northampton Saints)
Aaron Morris (Bedford Blues)

The Wales squad

Forwards: Nicky Smith, Nicky Thomas (both Ospreys), Leon Crump, Callum Lewis, (both Blues), Benjamin Leung (Scarlets), Ethan Lewis (Blues), Elliot Dee (Dragons), Scott Otten (Swansea), James Sheekey (Blues), Shaun O’Rourke (Ospreys), Joshua Helps (Scarlets), Joe Davies (Dragons), Will Boyde (Carmarthen), Rob Dudley-Jones (Swansea), Scott Matthews, Ollie Griffiths, James Benjamin (all Dragons).

Backs: Tom Williams (Blues), Luc Jones (Dragons), Connor Lloyd (Scarlets), Luke Price (Ospreys), Ethan Davies (Dragons), Steffan Hughes (Scarlets), Garyn Smith (Blues), Harri Evans (RGC), Aled Summerhill (Blues), Joshua Adams (Scarlets), Dafydd Howells (Ospreys), Ashton Hewitt (Dragons), Steffan Evans (Scarlets), Afon Bagshaw (RGC).

The Ireland squad

Max Abbott (Cork Constitution FC - MUNSTER)
Harrison Brewer (Terenure College RFC - LEINSTER)
Rory Burke (Cork Constitution FC - MUNSTER)
David Busby (QUB RFC - ULSTER)
Ross Byrne (UCD RFC - LEINSTER)
Adam Byrne (UCD RFC - LEINSTER)
Jack Cullen (Bruff RFC - MUNSTER)
William Dardis (UCD RFC- LEINSTER)
Shane Delahunt (Lansdowne FC - LEINSTER)
Peter Dooley (Lansdowne FC - LEINSTER)
Ian Fitzpatrick (Lansdowne FC - LEINSTER)
Stephen Gardiner (Lansdowne FC - LEINSTER)
Dan Goggin (Young Munster RFC - MUNSTER)
Oisin Heffernan (Lansdowne FC - LEINSTER)
Cian Kelleher (Lansdowne FC - LEINSTER)
Dan Leavy (UCD RFC - LEINSTER) Capt.
Nick McCarthy (UCD RFC - LEINSTER)
Conor McKeon (Lansdowne FC - LEINSTER)
Rory Moloney (Buccaneers RFC - CONNACHT)
Ross Molony (UCD RFC - LEINSTER)
Sean O'Brien (Galwegians RFC - CONNACHT)
Jack O'Donoghue (UL Bohemians RFC - MUNSTER)
Gary Ringrose (UCD RFC - LEINSTER)
Peter Robb (Old Belvedere RFC - LEINSTER)
Frankie Taggart (Belfast Harlequins - ULSTER)
Peadar Timmins (UCD RFC - LEINSTER)
Jacob Walshe (Buccaneers RFC - CONNACHT)
Alex Wootton (Garryowen - MUNSTER)

It's a shame that Cameron Neild is out injured/has been replaced - partly because he was Sale's only representative (all of our u20s guys are injured =/) and partly because he's a very very good hooker. Switched from backrow so is good at the breakdown and has an exceptional workrate.

Billy Dardis apparently out of the Scotland game with a hamstring injury.

We should have a decent squad with Adam Byrne, Dooley, Leavy, O'Donoghue, Timmins and Wooton back from last year.

Leavy is an obvious standout and considering some of the talent in the group that's impressive. As usual big question is whether we'll be able to deal with the mostly bigger other nations and secure our set piece.

Who starts at outhalf will be very interesting, Ross Byrne has been clearly ahead this year but McKeon is making a late claim both have a lot of talent and contrasting styles. Byrne's already been involved with the Leinster A team. Sean O'Hagan hasn't been picked which is surprising if he's not injured quality 10 or 12.

This team could play some exciting rugby but I'm not sure if Ruddock will allow them to play as attacking as they could.

For Ireland, Billy Dardis, Peter Dooley, Adam Byrne, Dan Leavy, Sean O'Brien and Rory Moloney are the players I'm most looking forward to seeing play. The flyhalves Conor McKeon and Ross Byrne are also good players and are well matched in terms of ability.

Hallam Amos and Jack Dixon are likely to be involved once fit, perhaps midway through the tournament.

man how do you guys even gather the motivation to watch U20 ? It's like people who watch College Basketball, I just don't get it. You've got the NBA, why in the world of worlds of our world would you want to watch anything lower in quality than the NBA ?

just very tough to understand for me.

man how do you guys even gather the motivation to watch U20 ? It's like people who watch College Basketball, I just don't get it. You've got the NBA, why in the world of worlds of our world would you want to watch anything lower in quality than the NBA ?

its the future, get to see players who will be in and around our club sides very soon. For example It is how I first found out about JJ Hanrahan as he was a freak at U20 level. Same with big Iain Henderson and Stuart Olding. All three could start for there club sides just two years on from their jwc

Is that Billy Burn in English squad anything to Freddie? What's he like

I know very little about the Welsh squad. Both Nicky's were involved with the U20's last year, Tom Williams has played a little for the Blues, and Dafydd Howells is supposedly a star in the making, but I don't recognise most of the others tbh.

It'll be interesting to see how they go after such a successful year last year. There's always a few standouts, looking forward to seeing who they are.

Because its an opportunity to see the future, I always find that very exciting. The games are often very enjoyable to watch as well, with skill, pace and flair on show. Over the past few years we've seen the likes of Jordan Williams, Matthew Morgan, Kristian Phillips etc. shine before the reality of professional rugby highlights their lack of physicality (or they come up against England U20's). It's almost a glimpse back to another era, before the professional game revolved around power and size.

Is that Billy Burn in English squad anything to Freddie? What's he like

He is younger brother to Freddie. I know nothing about him, just that he is in the academy. But I guess we will find out soon enough, which is why it is so great to watch.

Agreed and majority of time there's a lot more excitement and freedom in games compared with Senior teams

From what I've heard Billy is very good. Think I've seen him play for England u18s before, and hes benched for Gloucester once or twice.
Plays 12 as well as 10 - think him and Freddie played 10-12 together at some point this season (latter stages of an LV game I think).

From what I've heard Billy is very good. Think I've seen him play for England u18s before, and hes benched for Gloucester once or twice.
Plays 12 as well as 10 - think him and Freddie played 10-12 together at some point this season (latter stages of an LV game I think).

Would he be same style as Freddie?

yeah I know guys, I just can't find genuine interest for it. I'll check it out real quick if it's on some channel and I'm horny for some fresh young legs, err I meant to say young Rugby players with potential, it's just a slip of the tongue it's very similar on the keyboard to type take it easy - so yeah the future of a nation yadi yada all that good stuff. But ehhh...anyways, maybe I'll get it later.

Hard to tell at such a young age, but I do think so. Definitely looking forward to seeing how he goes this tournament.

Great because I remember Freddie at that time very adventurous and willing to take risks and try things

Hard to tell at such a young age, but I do think so. Definitely looking forward to seeing how he goes this tournament.

I watched him play 10 for Hartpury College last season, he controlled the game brilliantly for one so young but didn't strike me as such a live wire as his brother.

I've also seen Moriarty play for them, if he can keep his head, he has the potential to be a force in the tournament.

I'll also be interested to see how Conlon fares. He didn't impress me last term and seemed to want for physicality, but he's won a lot of plaudits playing for Pirates this season.

Should be good to watch. England U20 do much better than England senior. If only we could replicate the U20 wins in the senior squad.

Rose Byrne, star of Insidious, X-Men: First Class and I Give it A Year is in the Ireland squad? The French pack better watch themselves, she gave Owen Wilson one hell of a slap in The Internship.

Latest posts