• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2014 TRC] New Zealand v Australia in Auckland (23/08/2014)

Jane's borderline coathanger on Folau. I think the correct call could've massively changed the game result, possibly even allowing the Wallabies to snatch it.

I mean, it did prove to be the difference of 10/14 points depending on how you want to look at it. I doubt the score would've been 51-20 if the ref was paying closer attention.

1. No, and in any case, I thought the high shot was by Cruden

2. The difference was 31 points

3. Wind the clock back to just a few moments before that. If you argue that the high shot on Folau should have been called, I'll argue that the late high shot in Jane should have been called.

1. No, and in any case, I thought the high shot was by Cruden

2. The difference was 31 points

3. Wind the clock back to just a few moments before that. If you argue that the high shot on Folau should have been called, I'll argue that the late high shot in Jane should have been called.

This thread is ridiculous, truly. The All Blacks didn't win because of one moment, they won because their tactics and execution was just completely superior to what the Wallabies put out on the park. Good teams survive bad ref calls. Look at Origin 1 - the Blues had some of the worst BS calls against them - to the point where it looked like the ref was trying to give the game to Qld at the end - AND STILL WON! Why? Because they f###ing wanted it so bad they weren't willing to leave the field with anything left in the tank.

I hate to say it, but I some times think our union boys just lack that bit of grit and guts that our league boys have.

Worth noting that Nathan Charles was offside prior to the hit, so even if it shouldn't have been a try to NZ it should have at least been a penalty.

Did anyone see the Wallaby on the left of Folau just before Jane made the tackle? Was it Nathan Charles.

It looked like Folau had sucked in 2 defenders and if he made that pass, the player was pretty much in the clear. the only thing I can think of is that it was the injured nathan charles and Folau recognised that he wouldn't be able to catch the ball with his injury.

The offence was committed early on during the contest. It changed the mindset of the Wallabies. If they scored off the play, the score would've substantially closer going into the break.

And were you not watching lol? The coat hanger did make 'a split ***** worth of difference', seeing as Savea scored 30 seconds afterwards.

It really didn't - they were already chasing the game and had lost any shape to their attack - at that point, so early in the game? worrying. The biggest issue for Australia was that once again their attack was lateral and allowed the NZ defence to slide on you and again their tactical kicking was lacking

The McCaw yellow should have had a bigger impact yet Australia actually lost points and squandered it. It just wasn't the Aussies day and they got beaten by a team who did the basic better than them and kept going forward for 80 minutes.

On the actual incident to be fair to him Jane pulled out of it it barely made contact, Folau managed to keep his legs going through the challenge and even though he went to ground he didn't seem to perturbed by it...I think it looked worse than it actually was.

Last week, a lot went aus way and they drew the game... This week a lot went nz way an they put 50 on the scoreboard...

ImageUploadedByRugby Forum1408797803.604858.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Would the result change if the high shot was called? Jane's borderline coathanger on Folau. I think the correct call could've massively changed the game result, possibly even allowing the Wallabies to snatch it.

I mean, it did prove to be the difference of 10/14 points depending on how you want to look at it. I doubt the score would've been 51-20 if the ref was paying closer attention.

51 points to 20 speaks for itself..... sorry pal but you are clutching at straws!

Last edited:
Predictable yes but if you love rugby then it is not boring.....have seen far more boring 6N than Rugby Championship or its many predecessors!

I love rugby but this is bad for our sport. We are losing the interest of the Aussies casual supporters and they are a very important market for our sport (The biggest crowd in rugby history was in Sydney) so it's difficult to expand our sport to other markets like USA or Canada too

All Blacks were phenomenal. They played at an incredible tempo for the entire game. Aus were way better for the last 20 minutes but they were blown away by lethal counters and a dominant forward pack. It says a lot about a team when they still go forward and threaten with 14 men. Going to take a big performance by someone to beat them.

I think Link ought to get the boys to spend a bit of time with the Blues in Origin camp next year. Those boys were willing to die out there this year defending the Qld onslaught. We had guys playing on like Morris with a dislocated shoulder FFS. That's guts! That's what the Wallabies need.

I think the Wallabies had the correct attitude in the first game, but if you have a coach who changes the starting XV in key positions after 7 wins in a row, it's impossible to win.

Kuridrani was a good ball carrier in the 7 wins, AAC worked well at wing, Foley is a real fly-half and no experiments. Likewise, you lost your two best impact players for the second half (Beale and McCabe). Also he should have given more minutes to Phipps who had a wonderful Super Rugby season.

This is more than anything for the first game, a Wallaby victory would have been very important for the attitude of the teams in the second test. Today's game was impossible in these circumstances. You have to kill Rambo when you have the opportunity, if you don't kill him then he will take revenge. And that's what happened today.

ABs don't play two bad games in a row, Link lost a wonderful opportunity.

Last edited:
Awesome game to watch live. Perfect night, decent atmosphere and wonderful rugby from the ABs.

I don't know why Folau got some heat on this thread. Thought he was Australia's best player in the game. He was the only guy who broke our line consistently.

cracking game of rugby :bravo:. Folau and Ben Smith are pure class. Can't wait to see the ABs agst SA.

Awesome game to watch live. Perfect night, decent atmosphere and wonderful rugby from the ABs.

I don't know why Folau got some heat on this thread. Thought he was Australia's best player in the game. He was the only guy who broke our line consistently.

Fall guy...scapegoat...whipping boy.

Call him what you will, but this forum always needs its 'villain', and this week they couldn't blame the ref.

;)

das

140823063306112002.jpg

Is that a tackle?

:lol:

Hard luck Australia. I had a feeling we were going to bounce back hard this game.

Very enjoyable game to watch (from an NZ point of view obviously). I think Australia have to start concentrating on who is their long terms 10. Their tight five got well and truly beaten this game, which from an AB perspective you'd hope would be the case. They just seemed to struggle to hold onto possession and build any kind of real forward momentum other for a 10 minute period towards the end. Will give it another watch tomorrow, hopefully have a worth while point by then.

Nathan Charles has a pectoral injury. So Hanson and Saia Fainga'a for the next game against Boks.

If TPN doesn't return Aussies will have serious problems in their front row. Fainga'a is the worst hooker in the world IMO

Hanson & Fainga'a vs Bismarck du Plessis & Adriaan Strauss :eek::eek::eek:

Last edited:
You want to know the point where i knew Australia were going to get a hiding?

When they managed to hold Rettalick up over the line - the AB's just get up, the Australians are hands on knees blowing out their backsides, Beale looked like his legs were about to give way from physical exertion.... the pace of the game from New Zealand leading up to that was incredible, their fitness levels are absolutely unrivaled by any other team in the world.

This dingo is still around?! Christ on a bicycle, he's barely even semi-pro standard let alone international.

I'm not sure but who would be the fifth Aussie hooker?

1- Stephen Moore - Out
2- Tatafu Polota-Nau - Out
3- Nathan Charles - Out
4- James Hanson
5- .................

Latest posts