• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2014 TRC] Australia v South Africa in Perth (06/09/2014)

Wallabies team named:

1 James Slipper
2 James Hanson
3 Sekope Kepu
4 Sam Carter
5 Rob Simmons
6 Scott Fardy
7 Michael Hooper (c)
8 Wycliff Palu
9 Nick Phipps
10 Bernard Foley
11 Rob Horne
12 Matt Toomua
13 Tevita Kuridrani
14 Adam Ashley-Cooper
15 Israel Folau

Reserves:

16 Saia Fainga'a
17 Pek Cowan
18 Ben Alexander
19 James Horwill
20 Scott Higginbotham
21 Matt Hodgson
22 Nic White
23 Kurtley Beale

Without Skelton and with 6 forwards on the bench...

Backline looks good - although I still really want to see the Foley / Beale combo in action at least once against quality opposition. Good selections #9 through to #15. I was pretty hard on Tevita Kuridrani after the Tahs v Brumbies semi final but he was missed against the All Blacks. AAC on the wing is a 1000% percent improvement over McCabe.

The forward pack on the other hand is very lackluster. I made a post on the Super XV forums about how is the forwards not the backs that are the issue and to my dismay, it appears the same non-performing players have been retained. How Fardy is starting over Higgers is inconceivable to me. Simmons is complete rubbish outside the lineouts and will be bullied by the Spingboks all game. Let Horwill start and run the lineouts because he will offer at least something around the park. McCalman needs to be given an opportunity to show his stuff although I am fine with Palu being retained as when he fires, his side typically gets go forward ball all game. I don't really see the point of having Hodgson in the team unless they are going to play dual #7's later in the game. McCalman should have the #21 jersey and given at least 30 minutes.

Can someone answer me a question. What the hell has Ben Robinson done to earn the wrath of Ewan McKenzie?? He must have shagged his daughter at this rate!

Backline looks good - although I still really want to see the Foley / Beale combo in action at least once against quality opposition. Good selections #9 through to #15. I was pretty hard on Tevita Kuridrani after the Tahs v Brumbies semi final but he was missed against the All Blacks. AAC on the wing is a 1000% percent improvement over McCabe.

The forward pack on the other hand is very lackluster. I made a post on the Super XV forums about how is the forwards not the backs that are the issue and to my dismay, it appears the same non-performing players have been retained. How Fardy is starting over Higgers is inconceivable to me. Simmons is complete rubbish outside the lineouts and will be bullied by the Spingboks all game. Let Horwill start and run the lineouts because he will offer at least something around the park. McCalman needs to be given an opportunity to show his stuff although I am fine with Palu being retained as when he fires, his side typically gets go forward ball all game. I don't really see the point of having Hodgson in the team unless they are going to play dual #7's later in the game. McCalman should have the #21 jersey and given at least 30 minutes.

Can someone answer me a question. What the hell has Ben Robinson done to earn the wrath of Ewan McKenzie?? He must have shagged his daughter at this rate!

Well I don't know why Higginbotham is in the 23 altogether. He gives away way too many penalties, and has a bit of a short fuse, and against a pack like the Boks, it's bound to wind him up.

Higgonbotham has been a beast the last couple of years, he played with heart when he came on at eden park

If we can handle Hooper and not allow Folau to get into the game I am certain we'll be fine. Easier said than done though.

Well I don't know why Higginbotham is in the 23 altogether. He gives away way too many penalties, and has a bit of a short fuse, and against a pack like the Boks, it's bound to wind him up.

he's in their as they need a hard ball carrying forward who doesn't stand on reputation. out of all the Aussie forwards he's the guy who will just grab the ball put his head down and smash anyone in his way. They need some of that, in fcat he's more likely to wind your boys up.

he's in their as they need a hard ball carrying forward who doesn't stand on reputation. out of all the Aussie forwards he's the guy who will just grab the ball put his head down and smash anyone in his way. They need some of that, in fcat he's more likely to wind your boys up.

don't worry, we'll have guys smashing into them too...

Have you seen Higgers this year?

I will admit I haven't seen him play this year for the rebels, I seen a lot of him last year and he was boss until he got injured.

yes. he was the form Australian 8 at one point in the super 15 and he is what he is.

I like Higginbotham - he is a bit of a liability, though. Over enthusiastic, I guess - does everything at 100mph including flying into rucks (so often flies off his feet).
I think he should probably be starting, because the wobblies need to change something up in their 2nd/backrow, as it's not working at the moment.

I like Higginbotham - he is a bit of a liability, though. Over enthusiastic, I guess - does everything at 100mph including flying into rucks (so often flies off his feet).
I think he should probably be starting, because the wobblies need to change something up in their 2nd/backrow, as it's not working at the moment.

exactly. he just goes at it. he has a temper, sure, but he never takes a backwards step and he keeps going through the tackle which the aussies just didn't do against NZ.

He's about the only Aussie i can think will take it to the Saffers, bar maybe Mcalmun

I said nearly...

bicycling-backwards.jpg

Last edited:
I can't say I've been overly impressed with Higginbotham of late. Maybe it's injury, maybe it's the Rebels, maybe it's him being their captain or simply a combination of the lot but while he is certainly an asset in an open game and with ball in hand if we do our job right (a certain question mark I admit) in keeping Aus under pressure up front I can see him being more of a liability without the ball than contributing to the Aus cause with.

We'll have to wait and see though. I have no idea which teams will pitch up here or what type of game to expect. For my money though, I wouldn't put too much faith in Higginbotha ATM.

I'm not a fan of the 6/2 split on the bench...

Same I don't get it, it is like saying we are going to battle SA up front, yet that seems like a really dumb thing to do, quick recycled ball to the backs on the go forward is where Aus wants to be. Unless they are saying to themselves the SA forwards are better conditioned then we are so we need more mores to even be competitive.

Yeah he can be a dead head in giving away penalties, but I rate him as one of Aussies harder running forwards, needs his mojo back though, and his timing to get those intercepts working again. It is almost a shame that he is not a lock as he is better than what they have there currently.

Same I don't get it, it is like saying we are going to battle SA up front, yet that seems like a really dumb thing to do, quick recycled ball to the backs on the go forward is where Aus wants to be. Unless they are saying to themselves the SA forwards are better conditioned then we are so we need more mores to even be competitive.

The aussies will want to keep the intensity up and fast the whole game, so they've gone 6/2 as that means they have almost a full pack coming on to maintain that tempo late in the game.

The simple fact is the SA's will get ball, and will be physical, that will tire players so to keep the defence sharp and the attack sharper they want more upfront as that's where people will be most tired, it's not a case of better conditioning it's a case of what's more important, good ball for your backs all game or for 60 minutes then a scrap?

Perth has been a burial ground for Wallaby teams against the Bokke.
Can't see this being any different.

The aussies will want to keep the intensity up and fast the whole game, so they've gone 6/2 as that means they have almost a full pack coming on to maintain that tempo late in the game.

The simple fact is the SA's will get ball, and will be physical, that will tire players so to keep the defence sharp and the attack sharper they want more upfront as that's where people will be most tired, it's not a case of better conditioning it's a case of what's more important, good ball for your backs all game or for 60 minutes then a scrap?

While I can certainly see the logic behind a 6/2 split on the bench I still think it is a massive risk. Australia are left with one player (Beale) covering 6 players. Not only would a couple of injuries in the backline would leave Australia in big trouble, but it also restricts Australia's ability to use Beale as an impact sub. If one of the backs picks up a minor injury or is performing poorly the coaches will be loathe to introduce Beale until late in the match as they would have no more cover should there be any other injury....

I think you are being a bit generous calling him a 'bit of a liability'. For me he is a complete liability! Not only did he lead the whole Super Rugby competition in terms of penalties conceded (with 32, 7 more than next highest player!) and yellow cards (3), he also had a high error rate, an average work-rate, failed to force a single turnover at the breakdown, and spent most of the season lingering out on the wing waiting for the ball. He does have a few good attributes - he is aggressive (though is over aggressive at times), is an excellent lineout option, has good ball skills, and can break tackles running out wide. These positives don't get close to outweighing the negatives in my opinion.

He is certainly an abrasive play, but I certainly wouldn't classify him as the 'hard man' that the Wallabies crave. Some players - Brad Thorn for example - are hard men who let their rugby do the talking. Others spend the whole match trying to prove they are the toughest player on the field but often forget to play rugby (Jarrad Hoeata is a good example of this). For me Higginbotham fits firmly in the later category. He is often far more interested in doing ****ly things off the ball than actually playing rugby. There is no doubt he has the skills to be a top class rugby player, but he seems to lack the required temperament. There was actually a period over the later half of the 2013 Super Rugby season when everything started to click for him (he started actually playing rugby...) and I thought he was finally starting to deliver on his potential, but he got injured. Unfortunately this season he seems to have regressed back to his old self....

Last edited:

Latest posts