• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2014 TRC] Australia v South Africa in Perth (06/09/2014)

Right a few thoughts (on the match, if that is ok?):

- Slipper was again impressive for the Wallabies. The scrum held up pretty well, he made his tackles, and he was excellent with ball in hand again. Hopefully (for the Wallabies sake) his injury isn't too serious

- Hanson did ok in his starting debut. Australia lost 3 lineouts, but that wasn't a major surprise!

- Simmons was poor. He cost Australia a try, and gave away a number of other silly penalties. He may be a fantastic lineout caller (apparently), but is he really one of the best two locks in Australia? Horwill added some physicality when he came on, but I don't think he is the answer either (as he has been decidedly average this year).

- Fardy, Hooper, and Palu all played as expected. Palu again was accurate and topped the tackle count, but I imagine there will be calls for him to be replaced again as he really didn't offer a lot with ball in hand. Despite my dislike for Higginbotham I thought he made an excellent impact when he came on. He was focused on playing rugby, made a couple of very strong runs, and was unlucky not to force a turnover after coming through the middle of a South African maul. It wouldn't surprise me if he started next week, but personally I remain unconvinced.

- Phipps was ok. Perhaps a slight improvement on White. Foley was a bit erratic, but kicked the crucial goal at the end. His defense was solid though, and I certainly think he is worth sticking with.

- Toomua was accurate (one 'over-kick' aside), while I was very impressed by Kuridrani. I've never been a big fan but I thought he was very impressive with ball in hand and physical (and accurate) on defense.

- We didn't see a lot of Horne and Ashley-Cooper, but Horne certainly took the opportunity he got offered well! He may well be a better wing than a centre...

- Folau was Folau. He is a weapon with ball in hand, but I still think his lack of a quality kicking game is a bit of an issue for Australia. He either refused to kick (putting Australia under pressure), and when his did kick he didn't get much ground. Obviously this is a small price to pay for his attacking brilliance, but it clearly a weakness opposition sides will look to exploit.

- I felt South Africa were a bit short of ball runners in their pack. Vermeulen and Coetzee were good in this regard, but I think South Africa need more out of Etzebeth, Mtawarira, and whoever they use at hooker.

- Matfield is still an absolute master in the air. The rest of his game however is pretty average in my opinion.

- Was Louw playing? Perhaps he was stuck at the bottom of the breakdowns, but he was less prominent than I usually expect from him. Vermeulen is a fantastic number 8.

- Pienaar and Steyn were South Africa's weakest links in my opinion. Pienaar did put in a few good kicks, but he made a few too many errors, and struggle to provide the backline with quality ball. He is obviously the best option for the Boks current gameplan, but I really don't rate him at international level. As for Steyn..... he is a good goal-kicker. That's about it. Surely South Africa would be better off investing more time in Pollard/Goosen/Lambie? Steyn missed tackle after tackle - even the tackles he made he good dragged backwards 5-10 metres. The fact he doesn't attack the line allowed the Australian defense to drift out quickly and cover South Africas (dangerous) midfield and outside backs.

- Serfontein didn't get many chances on attack but he is a fantastic defender!

- Hendricks finished his try very well, but that was the only time I saw him all match. He needs to take a leaf out of Habana's book and go looking for a bit more work.

- Le Roux. I was impressed with the several head on tackles he made - I expected him to miss them. His passing game is superb, and some of his tactical kicking was quality. He did make a few big kicking errors (kicking it out on the full), and I would like to see him take on the line a bit more with his footwork (preferably not against the AB's though ;) ).

Your analysis is good as always. Folau is way overrated. He's a good player and probably one of the top 30 or so players in the world but he is a tier down from the legends of the game. Folau's kicking game is very very poor and so are his options of when to kick. You are right that his attacking talent more than makes up for this but it stops him from being a legend of the game.

Le Roux also makes so many errors. He is good when he gets the ball in space but that doesn't happen that often. Why does he always kick the ball back? He's a good runner. I think most teams still don't understand that if they always play aerial ping pong then it is easy for the other team to defend. You need to sometimes counter attack to put doubt in the other team's mind. It must be the tactics - it's not like Le Roux can't be a great attacking player.

Steyn is just horrible. I don't know why South Africa would recall him.

Overall the Aussies were lucky to win because of the referee's decision but South Africa blew it. It seems to me like South Africa want to play conservative rugby but don't follow through. Their game seems disposed to 10 ten man rugby. They have a beastly forward pack and they play for territory all the time. If you are going to play this way (and it is a valid tactic) you have to be very accurate. If you are going to be conservative then you have to take the points when they are on offer. Instead South Africa went for the lineout when they could have taken 3 and knocked the ball on immediately afterwards. Then Le Roux and Steyn were kicking the ball out on the full or not kicking penalties into touch. The All Blacks can make mistakes live give away intercepts which we always do because we can chase a game. South Africa chooses to play rugby in a different way but their execution is just appalling.

South Africa may as well just play attacking rugby if they can't play accurately.

- Slipper was again impressive for the Wallabies. The scrum held up pretty well, he made his tackles, and he was excellent with ball in hand again. Hopefully (for the Wallabies sake) his injury isn't too serious

- Hanson did ok in his starting debut. Australia lost 3 lineouts, but that wasn't a major surprise!

- Simmons was poor. He cost Australia a try, and gave away a number of other silly penalties. He may be a fantastic lineout caller (apparently), but is he really one of the best two locks in Australia? Horwill added some physicality when he came on, but I don't think he is the answer either (as he has been decidedly average this year).

- Fardy, Hooper, and Palu all played as expected. Palu again was accurate and topped the tackle count, but I imagine there will be calls for him to be replaced again as he really didn't offer a lot with ball in hand. Despite my dislike for Higginbotham I thought he made an excellent impact when he came on. He was focused on playing rugby, made a couple of very strong runs, and was unlucky not to force a turnover after coming through the middle of a South African maul. It wouldn't surprise me if he started next week, but personally I remain unconvinced.

- Phipps was ok. Perhaps a slight improvement on White. Foley was a bit erratic, but kicked the crucial goal at the end. His defense was solid though, and I certainly think he is worth sticking with.

- Toomua was accurate (one 'over-kick' aside), while I was very impressed by Kuridrani. I've never been a big fan but I thought he was very impressive with ball in hand and physical (and accurate) on defense.

- We didn't see a lot of Horne and Ashley-Cooper, but Horne certainly took the opportunity he got offered well! He may well be a better wing than a centre...

- Folau was Folau. He is a weapon with ball in hand, but I still think his lack of a quality kicking game is a bit of an issue for Australia. He either refused to kick (putting Australia under pressure), and when his did kick he didn't get much ground. Obviously this is a small price to pay for his attacking brilliance, but it clearly a weakness opposition sides will look to exploit.

Definitely agree with all that. Whatever people say about our backs though, our forwards are where we're losing games, and lock in particular. Simmons and Carter just aren't test standard for me; they just lack the grunt and power necessary to impose themselves at this level and it makes it that much harder for the backs. The guys just look like soft private school boys too - and that doesn't help (would love it if we could unearth a bloke like Brad Thorn). This is certainly where Australia's selection policy hurts us - I'd rate Douglas, Horwill and Timani all ahead of Simmons and Carter, but the reality is we don't have a serious world class player there to match it in the big tests.

The front row is funnily enough looking more stable - I was pretty impressed with how well we went given we're now down to our fourth choice hooker. Hooper was pretty good again, but I still feel like at test level against powerful sides like the boks we'd be better off with Pococks more abrasive and confrontational approach.

You're right about Palu too - he does a tonne of work, but because he doesn't bash through players whilst carrying 5 on his back like in the style of a guy like Sam Moa over in the NRL people think he's not doing anything.

On the backs though, Foley had a pretty nervous start I thought, and whilst Phipps was quicker and generally more accurate than White, he needs to let the captain make the decisions - his quick tap option in the first half was stupid and unnecessary - there was nothing on and we turned the ball straight over.

As for Folau, he is truly dynamite with the ball in hand, but he seriously can't kick to save his life, and more and more I can't help but think the obvious solution is to drop AAC to the bench, put Beale at 15 and shift Folau to the wing.

^^ Horwill looks like he could burst into tears at any moment. How he ever got to captain Australia is beyond me....

^^ Horwill looks like he could burst into tears at any moment. How he ever got to captain Australia is beyond me....
Winning the Super Rugby ***le effectively handed it to him, but I agree he's over-rated. I'd prefer we had Timani back.

- I felt South Africa were a bit short of ball runners in their pack. Vermeulen and Coetzee were good in this regard, but I think South Africa need more out of Etzebeth, Mtawarira, and whoever they use at hooker.

- Matfield is still an absolute master in the air. The rest of his game however is pretty average in my opinion.

- Was Louw playing? Perhaps he was stuck at the bottom of the breakdowns, but he was less prominent than I usually expect from him. Vermeulen is a fantastic number 8.

- Pienaar and Steyn were South Africa's weakest links in my opinion. Pienaar did put in a few good kicks, but he made a few too many errors, and struggle to provide the backline with quality ball. He is obviously the best option for the Boks current gameplan, but I really don't rate him at international level. As for Steyn..... he is a good goal-kicker. That's about it. Surely South Africa would be better off investing more time in Pollard/Goosen/Lambie? Steyn missed tackle after tackle - even the tackles he made he good dragged backwards 5-10 metres. The fact he doesn't attack the line allowed the Australian defense to drift out quickly and cover South Africas (dangerous) midfield and outside backs.

- Serfontein didn't get many chances on attack but he is a fantastic defender!

- Hendricks finished his try very well, but that was the only time I saw him all match. He needs to take a leaf out of Habana's book and go looking for a bit more work.

- Le Roux. I was impressed with the several head on tackles he made - I expected him to miss them. His passing game is superb, and some of his tactical kicking was quality. He did make a few big kicking errors (kicking it out on the full), and I would like to see him take on the line a bit more with his footwork (preferably not against the AB's though ;) ).

All fair points, Darwin. For me our problems are two-fold;

Our tight five are an issue. The propping problems have been brewing for at least 3 years now but we were happy to simply slot JdP and Beast in there and not give anyone else a shot. All our options of props in their prime ATM are in France since they earn 30x more and rightly assumed they either didn't have a shot at test rugby any more here than based over there. Our local options are all injured ATM. At lock the guys we invested in the last 2 years are all injrued; Franco van der Merwe, Flip van der Merwe, PS du Toit and Eben Etzebeth was eushed back after missing an entire of rugby through injury without a single minute in any form of competitive game. It is showing sadly and Matfield, though playing admirably for his age, was never so much selected for his general play than his line-out work.

The halves. Pienaar's continued selection even in the PdV era where he was claimed to be the 'Tiger Woods of rugby' is nothing short of mind boggling. Is he really the best we have? Behind FdP we are fooked if this pretenders keeps getting the caps. Steyn is seemingly suffering from lack of game in France.

Well, you're not the only ones it happens to. Two of the four yellow cards we got in the first two matches against Australia (Wyatt Crockett and Beauden Barrett) were just plain wrong.

I agree you seem to cop a few more than your fair share, but you also get away with the odd one as well. Bakkies Botha's head-butt on Jimmy Cowan and Dean Greyling's foream drop to the head of McCaw both should have been red cards.

Eeeewwww Dean Greyling!!!! That thing will never play for the Boks again after that abomination. Yeah it always goes two fold. I dont know what it is with referees. Rugby is getting a tad too soft these days. Its like the refs love dishing out cards.

The saddest thing for me was watching these tests and then watching the Currie cup games after and realizing the standard of refereeing is incomparably better in the Currie cup. Please, IRB, sort it out.

The saddest thing for me was watching these tests and then watching the Currie cup games after and realizing the standard of refereeing is incomparably better in the Currie cup. Please, IRB, sort it out.

They're a little busy now over at the IRB - they have to work out what colours they'll use for their new 'World Rugby' logo.

Well,

I decided to reserve my comments until I have calmed down a bit.

It's Monday and I'm still not calmed down. So I'm hesitant to say much because I know guys like InsaneAsylum and Big E will just go and dig up old posts and throw "Bryce Lawrence" in my face.

Seems like the Bokke will just have That One Test - Every ****ing Year!!

Well,

I decided to reserve my comments until I have calmed down a bit.

It's Monday and I'm still not calmed down. So I'm hesitant to say much because I know guys like InsaneAsylum and Big E will just go and dig up old posts and throw "Bryce Lawrence" in my face.

Seems like the Bokke will just have That One Test - Every ****ing Year!!

To be fair it seems like the last 4 could fall into that category. Leading into this game the bokke have had one close shave against a Welsh team that outplayed you and two weeks in a row in which you had to snatch victory from Argentina... So the team hasn't exactly been firing on all cylinders.

To be fair it seems like the last 4 could fall into that category. Leading into this game the bokke have had one close shave against a Welsh team that outplayed you and two weeks in a row in which you had to snatch victory from Argentina... So the team hasn't exactly been firing on all cylinders.

You're not getting what I'm saying in totality. THAT ONE GAME is aimed at a ref robbing us, once a year.

You're not getting what I'm saying in totality. THAT ONE GAME is aimed at a ref robbing us, once a year.

Refs have way too much influence, but all the same the ref didn't lose you that game, **** tactics did... The All Blacks played with 14 men and didn't concede a try against us, whilst we conceded two tries when we were down in the same match. The point is a good team will compensate and the boks should have given their position.

It was a loss a long time coming, Hein and we were lucky to get away with close wins in a number of recent games as Sanzar points out. The Clancy farce only serves as an excuse to gloss over what we all know to be bigger concerns;

- Pienaar probably has the slowest delivery of any 9 we have (or anyone else has)
- our props have been going backwards at alarming rates in all senses of the phrase
- our game plan of not wanting to play some rugby means the opposition has all the opportunity in the world to do so and breaks will happen if are having to make twice the amount of tackles the denfense has too.

Refs have way too much influence, but all the same the ref didn't lose you that game, **** tactics did... The All Blacks played with 14 men and didn't concede a try against us, whilst we conceded two tries when we were down in the same match. The point is a good team will compensate and the boks should have given their position.

Look, I'm not saying we are not to be blamed for the loss.

But Duane Vermeulen's penalty in the first half was a shocker! It was almost the exact same type of tackle that Bismarck made on Carter last year.

Then Habana's yellow was also just pathetic. Even after the touch judge talked to Clancy AND then JDV referring to the same type of tackle that just happened less than 2 minutes ago where no penalty was given.

In total, 2 Shocking calls by the ref resulted in 17 points for Australia!! That is 8.5 points per call! Not even a converted try counts that much!

It was a loss a long time coming, Hein and we were lucky to get away with close wins in a number of recent games as Sanzar points out. The Clancy farce only serves as an excuse to gloss over what we all know to be bigger concerns;

- Pienaar probably has the slowest delivery of any 9 we have (or anyone else has)
- our props have been going backwards at alarming rates in all senses of the phrase
- our game plan of not wanting to play some rugby means the opposition has all the opportunity in the world to do so and breaks will happen if are having to make twice the amount of tackles the denfense has too.

I would have had no problem digesting this loss if it was fair. But give me some slack. I'm a passionate Springbok supporter and I have on numerous times voiced my opinion on the matter and how the Springboks are the international team that gets the wrong rub of the green regarding refs on a consistent basis. If it was one specific ref, it would have been easier to take like Stuart Dickenson, but it's not one ref.

Paul Honiss, Bryce Lawrence, Romain Poite, George Clancy, to name a few off the top of my head.

Anyways, I agree, Pienaar was once again terrible, but Morne Steyn was worse! I get that he had to start Steyn, due to the rookie having a poor show against Argentina, and Lambie having little game time with his injury. But Morne was dire! He missed his kicks, tackles and recievers!!

Our props were better against the poorer scrum unit of the Aussies, so there's not much to say about our props. What was missing was Etzebeth! He was just too quiet to my liking, and he didn't look like he wanted to run with the ball.

Last edited:

give this man a F******** bells... infact... give him a Johnny Black 10year reserved.... no wait give him a single malt 20year reserved...

I know how you feel, Hein but what are we going to do, keep moaning about the ref on a constant basis? We need to realize that the trend is not just against us but against the visiting team in general and against the defending team in general. We can't avoid being the visiting team away from home but we can start to actually play some rugby and see if we don't get the rub of it if we are the team applying the rpessure rather than trying to cope with it. Ball in hand we've actually looked extremely good in non-Pienaar games. We seem to wait till we are 10 point behind before we try to score tries. That 'reserve' kind of mentality means we are almost always going to start dropping behind on the score board and makes us vulnerable to poor ref decisions when we have to defend close margins or have limited time to actually and score some points of our own.

Steyn was dire, we can agree. I have to disagree regarding Etzebeth and our props though;

Etzebeth was brilliant for a guy out for a year and only his 2nd game starting! He has a 100% tackle rate and stole 2 opposition line-outs. 1 Clean break and though he din't go on a rampage like in some previous pre-injury games we have to give credit to a very good Aussie defense and the fact that we weren't playing with quick or even front foot ball the vast majority of the time.

Our props need to f*** off; if they can't scrum then they need to add elsewhere which they don't, Beast dropping teh ball so close to the try line is unforgivable for a test player. Him and Jannie are anonymous apart from when they f*** up. At the scrum, while Slipper was on we were struggling it against Aus with a 8th? choice hooker!!!!!NZ are going to give us exactly what Argentina, Wales and the world XV gave us at scrum time. Really, this has been a long time coming regarding our propping situation.

Last edited:
I know how you feel, Hein but what are we going to do, keep moaning about the ref on a constant basis? We need to realize that the trend is not just against us but against the visiting team in general and against the defending team in general. We can't avoid being the visiting team away from home but we can start to actually play some rugby and see if we don't get the rub of it if we are the team applying the rpessure rather than trying to cope with it. Ball in hand we've actually looked extremely good in non-Pienaar games.

I'm not saying we should keep on moaning, but surely something has to happen. Can the IRB not arrange a meeting with the referees, and maybe the international coaches/captains and get some sort of agreement on how to go forward. I mean the refs picked this as a Job/Career, if they make a mistake they should be reprimanded/fired, JUST LIKE ANY OTHER DEMANDING JOB IN THE WORLD!!! Why are we pussyfooting around the issue of referees?

We seem to wait till we are 10 point behind before we try to score tries. That 'reserve' kind of mentality means we are almost always going to start dropping behind on the score board and makes us vulnerable to poor ref decisions when we have to defend close margins or have limited time to actually and score some points of our own.

Not to sound like a douche, but isn't that the mentality of most teams? When you are ahead you stick to your strengths and try to keep the scoreboard ticking, because they try to secure the win.

Steyn was dire, we can agree. I have to disagree regarding Etzebeth and our props though

Etzebeth was brilliant for a guy out for a year and only his 2nd game starting! He has a 100% tackle rate and stole 2 opposition line-outs. 1 Clean break and though he din't go on a rampage like in some previous pre-injury games we have to give credit to a very good Aussie defense and the fact that we weren't playing with quick or even front foot ball the vast majority of the time.

Our props need to f*** off; if they can't scrum then they need to add elsewhere which they don't, Beast dropping teh ball so close to the try line is unforgivable for a test player. Him and Jannie are anonymous apart from when they f*** up. At the scrum, while Slipper was on we were struggling it against Aus with a 8th? choice hooker!!!!!NZ are going to give us exactly what Argentina, Wales and the world XV gave us at scrum time. Really, this has been a long time coming regarding our propping situation.

How can you say that?? Jannie and Beast were much better than the aussie props! We got 4 penalties from driving them backwards at the scrums. Did you not see the part where Marcell Coetzee ran around like a kid who forgot to take his Ritalin?

I'm not saying we should keep on moaning, but surely something has to happen. Can the IRB not arrange a meeting with the referees, and maybe the international coaches/captains and get some sort of agreement on how to go forward. I mean the refs picked this as a Job/Career, if they make a mistake they should be reprimanded/fired, JUST LIKE ANY OTHER DEMANDING JOB IN THE WORLD!!! Why are we pussyfooting around the issue of referees?
It's a tough ***. I guess I'm just tired of 'what if's' and trying to look at what is actually in our (SA rugby) control.

Not to sound like a douche, but isn't that the mentality of most teams? When you are ahead you stick to your strengths andtry to keep the scoreboard ticking, because they try to secure the win.
But we aren't scoring points. We should get ahead first, and get well ahead before you can rest on your laurels. And even then a team striving for quality rather than simply a win will probably not let up. As for keeping the scoreboard ticking over, we simply aren't doing that. Electing to not take the points on offer is an easy example but kicking good posession away for no good reason is the big one for me.

How can you say that?? Jannie and Beast were much better than the aussie props! We got 4 penalties from driving them backwards at the scrums. Did you not see the part where Marcell Coetzee ran around like a kid who forgot to take his Ritalin?
We shouldn't be overly happy getting one over on a front row that featured Pek Cowan and a hooker who's name I can't even recall. With Slipper on we were under the cosh. The previous matches same thing.

But we aren't scoring points. We should get ahead first, and get well ahead before you can rest on your laurels. And even then a team striving for quality rather than simply a win will probably not let up. As for keeping the scoreboard ticking over, we simply aren't doing that. Electing to not take the points on offer is an easy example but kicking good posession away for no good reason is the big one for me.

We were ahead 20-8. We only turned down 1 shot at goal to go for the corner, which was on the same side where Morne struggled to kick the conversion over from Hendricks' try. Perhaps the call came from Steyn that he's not confident enough to kick it over or not. And Victor was doing such a good job in the lineouts, I was confident that we could score a try from the lineout.

We shouldn't be overly happy getting one over on a front row that featured Pek Cowan and a hooker who's name I can't even recall. With Slipper on we were under the cosh. The previous matches same thing.

I beg to differ. I think after being at the wrong end of the stick the previous 2 tests against the Argies. Getting some confidence back would have helped our props a lot. That boost and how amped the rest of the pack was in getting the penalty would have done the front row a world of good, and would also assist them in preparing for the next test.

I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by how well the Wallabies held up at scrum time - it's not an area of traditional strength, but with the **** forwards in that pack it was downright incredible. I mean, our locks are only there because our decent ones have gone overseas, leaving what look like a couple of barely pubescent teenagers in Carter and Simmons, and we were fielding a prop who had to move to the Force to get a start. Then there's Fardy, who apparently didn't realise a game was on last week. The props by comparison did ok, and whilst Hooper was his energetic self, the scrum will look a lot better next year when Pocock comes back.

Latest posts