• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2014 TRC] Australia v South Africa in Perth (06/09/2014)

Great match.. Thats what rugby should be... Close and contested.. Not that borefest which happened at Napier.

Yup, and we conceded 13 points while he was off. The referees are just not up to scratch. Pathetic decision that ended up costing us the game. I dont know why this has to keep happening to us. Why cant an Australian or New Zealander get a yellow for something like that? Why always us. :( that decision in the AB vs ARG game though, wow.

Well, you're not the only ones it happens to. Two of the four yellow cards we got in the first two matches against Australia (Wyatt Crockett and Beauden Barrett) were just plain wrong.

I agree you seem to cop a few more than your fair share, but you also get away with the odd one as well. Bakkies Botha's head-butt on Jimmy Cowan and Dean Greyling's foream drop to the head of McCaw both should have been red cards.

Great match.. Thats what rugby should be... Close and contested.. Not that borefest which happened at Napier.

Yawn, yeah right!

Well, you're not the only ones it happens to. Two of the four yellow cards we got in the first two matches against Australia (Wyatt Crockett and Beauden Barrett) were just plain wrong.

I agree you seem to cop a few more than your fair share, but you also get away with the odd one as well. Bakkies Botha's head-butt on Jimmy Cowan and Dean Greyling's foream drop to the head of McCaw both should have been red cards.

You are actually letting the facts get in the way of a one-eyed opinion. How dare you!!!!

Tony.. that match in napier was boring.

In fact me thinks the whole RC is starting to get stale. There is a reason why most RC matches dont sell out anymore.

Yet 6N matches are almost always sold out.

Last edited:
......Not that borefest which happened at Napier.

scratchedrecord.gif

The record's stuck....
The record's stuck....
The record's stuck....
The record's stuck....
The record's stuck....
The record's stuck....
The record's stuck....
The record's stuck....

In fact me thinks the whole RC is starting to get stale. Their is a reason why most RC matches dont sell out anymore.

Yawn! Yeah right

scratchedrecord.gif

The record's stuck....
The record's stuck....
The record's stuck....
The record's stuck....
The record's stuck....
The record's stuck....
The record's stuck....
The record's stuck....

Very original. You seem to be stalking me all the time now.

In your opinion. I thought it was a tense, tough and keenly fought armwrestle which was only secured for us well into the second half, and I enjoyed it

In fact me thinks the whole RC is starting to get stale. Their is a reason why most RC matches dont sell out anymore.
Eden Park - sold out
McLean Park - sold out
Cake Tin (next week) - all but sold out (only uncovered platinum and silver seats available in singles only) - will be a sellout

4N: potential audience 115 million
6N: potential audience 195 million

Very original. You seem to be stalking me all the time now.

Nope, you just troll in a lot of threads involving NZ teams

Last edited by a moderator:
In your opinion. I thought it was a tense, tough and keenly fought armwrestle which was only secured for us well into the second half, and I enjoyed it

Eden Park - sold out
McLean Park - sold out
Cake Tin (next week) - all but sold out (only uncovered platinum and silver seats available in singles only) - will be a sellout

4N: potential audience 115 million
6N" potential audience 195 million

I really would not get into it as one match at Perth, where the crowd was disappointing, is being used to evidence his rather offbeat views on things!!

I would take the view, like me, that it is not worth arguing!!!

I really would not get into it as one match at Perth, where the crowd was disappointing, is being used to evidence his rather offbeat views on things!!

I would take the view, like me, that it is not worth arguing!!!

Perth really isn't a rugby town anyway, its AFL and Soccer.

Trying tho sell out a rugby ground in Perth would be like trying to sell out Eden Park for Soccer.

Understand and presume the only reasons to go there is that there are a lot of Saffers there and it is half way home for the Boks!!

Nope, you just troll in a lot of threads involving NZ teams

You mean, just like this thread with Aus vs Safas, and you couldnt help but come to NZ Rugbys rescue because i said a match in napier was boring?

You mean, just like this thread with Aus vs Safas, and you couldnt help but come to NZ Rugbys rescue because i said a match in napier was boring?

Who's coming to anyone rescue?

I enjoyed the match

I said so

nuff said

Understand and presume the only reasons to go there is that there are a lot of Saffers there and it is half way home for the Boks!!

I'd say there were quite a lot of Saffers in the crowd judging by how loud the "beeaast!" calls were every time Tendai Mtawarira got the ball.

Last edited by a moderator:
Perth really isn't a rugby town anyway, its AFL and Soccer.

Trying tho sell out a rugby ground in Perth would be like trying to sell out Eden Park for Soccer.

Thats not true, soccer doesn't make the grade enough to register on the scale. The glory are a bit of fun and i used to go to the games to hear the ex pats singing funny nonsense but it all about AR
It's ALL about Aussie rules in Perth.
I worked there (lived at Cottesloe beach) and supported the Dockers just to spite the glory boy Eagles fans.
Modra is a Godra !!
The AB's Argie game was alright, the conditions were not conducive to a fabulous running and p[assing game but both teams gave it some herb and the AB's did the business without playing particularly well. The Argies are a tough team to do well against.
The exciting aspects of the Aussie game was the scoreline and Aussie actually winning a game where pretty much everyone had written them off beforehand.
Hardly surprising hearing a lot of saffer support in the crowd, Perth and it's surrounding areas are chock full of saffers.

Cooky please stop double posting ... it hurts!

Huh!?

ETA: OK, I see what you mean. Sometimes the forum software wont let me edit. I see the edit button OK, but when I click it, I get the "circle of impatience" for about a minute, the edit page doesn't open then I get the "Connection was reset" error

Worked this time though!

Last edited:
Right a few thoughts (on the match, if that is ok?):

- Slipper was again impressive for the Wallabies. The scrum held up pretty well, he made his tackles, and he was excellent with ball in hand again. Hopefully (for the Wallabies sake) his injury isn't too serious

- Hanson did ok in his starting debut. Australia lost 3 lineouts, but that wasn't a major surprise!

- Simmons was poor. He cost Australia a try, and gave away a number of other silly penalties. He may be a fantastic lineout caller (apparently), but is he really one of the best two locks in Australia? Horwill added some physicality when he came on, but I don't think he is the answer either (as he has been decidedly average this year).

- Fardy, Hooper, and Palu all played as expected. Palu again was accurate and topped the tackle count, but I imagine there will be calls for him to be replaced again as he really didn't offer a lot with ball in hand. Despite my dislike for Higginbotham I thought he made an excellent impact when he came on. He was focused on playing rugby, made a couple of very strong runs, and was unlucky not to force a turnover after coming through the middle of a South African maul. It wouldn't surprise me if he started next week, but personally I remain unconvinced.

- Phipps was ok. Perhaps a slight improvement on White. Foley was a bit erratic, but kicked the crucial goal at the end. His defense was solid though, and I certainly think he is worth sticking with.

- Toomua was accurate (one 'over-kick' aside), while I was very impressed by Kuridrani. I've never been a big fan but I thought he was very impressive with ball in hand and physical (and accurate) on defense.

- We didn't see a lot of Horne and Ashley-Cooper, but Horne certainly took the opportunity he got offered well! He may well be a better wing than a centre...

- Folau was Folau. He is a weapon with ball in hand, but I still think his lack of a quality kicking game is a bit of an issue for Australia. He either refused to kick (putting Australia under pressure), and when his did kick he didn't get much ground. Obviously this is a small price to pay for his attacking brilliance, but it clearly a weakness opposition sides will look to exploit.

- I felt South Africa were a bit short of ball runners in their pack. Vermeulen and Coetzee were good in this regard, but I think South Africa need more out of Etzebeth, Mtawarira, and whoever they use at hooker.

- Matfield is still an absolute master in the air. The rest of his game however is pretty average in my opinion.

- Was Louw playing? Perhaps he was stuck at the bottom of the breakdowns, but he was less prominent than I usually expect from him. Vermeulen is a fantastic number 8.

- Pienaar and Steyn were South Africa's weakest links in my opinion. Pienaar did put in a few good kicks, but he made a few too many errors, and struggle to provide the backline with quality ball. He is obviously the best option for the Boks current gameplan, but I really don't rate him at international level. As for Steyn..... he is a good goal-kicker. That's about it. Surely South Africa would be better off investing more time in Pollard/Goosen/Lambie? Steyn missed tackle after tackle - even the tackles he made he good dragged backwards 5-10 metres. The fact he doesn't attack the line allowed the Australian defense to drift out quickly and cover South Africas (dangerous) midfield and outside backs.

- Serfontein didn't get many chances on attack but he is a fantastic defender!

- Hendricks finished his try very well, but that was the only time I saw him all match. He needs to take a leaf out of Habana's book and go looking for a bit more work.

- Le Roux. I was impressed with the several head on tackles he made - I expected him to miss them. His passing game is superb, and some of his tactical kicking was quality. He did make a few big kicking errors (kicking it out on the full), and I would like to see him take on the line a bit more with his footwork (preferably not against the AB's though ;) ).

Latest posts