• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2014 TRC] Argentina v South Africa in Salta (23/08/2014)

These Springboks can't beat to the ABs, it's impossible. I still think Australia is better than SA. Today they were dominated by the Pumas, there are no excuses to climate. Today the weather was perfect, I seriously think that Wallabies and England are a step up from South Africa.

Two games in a row they were dominated by the Pumas, in rain and in dry weather. Also they were dominated by Wales in the second test in June. These Boks aren't invincible, Argentina and Wales simply don't have top class backs like Israel Folau or Ben Smith, who can make a difference. Aussies and Kiwis have top class backs, SA is in trouble.

Last edited:
Is there a tube replay of this game somewhere? Not asking anyone to post a link just cant find one?

I seriously think that Wallabies and England are a step up from South Africa.

Man you aussies are unbelievable how about you wait until your lot play these guys (arg and SA) and then tell us the wallabies are better Southafrica.

And your dreaming if you think England is better than SA. At home next year they might have an edge but I doubt it by that stage I think SA has more improving than them to do.

Last edited:
Man you aussies are unbelievable how about you wait until your lot play these guys (arg and SA) and then tell us the wallabies are better Southafrica.

And your dreaming if you think England is better than SA. At home next year they might have an edge but I doubt it by that stage I think SA has more improving than them to do.

Conrad isn't an Ozzie, he's an Argentine.

Conrad isn't an Ozzie, he's an Argentine.

Yeah and I saw the game on live (ARG vs SA). @austingtir didn't see the game :lol: Then I saw the last SA's performance and I can say that Aussies are better than them.

Last edited:
Yeah and I saw the game on live (ARG vs SA). @austingtir didn't see the game :lol: Then I saw the last SA's performance and I can say that Aussies are better than them.

From the highlights I saw Argentina looked well up for this. Like against NZ in welly last year. The only way the Australians are going to beat SA or Argentina is if their backs have a field day and as long as Link selects Beale at first five that aint going to happen.

End of the day SA did win this match. Lets wait and see if Australia can do the same.

Something I noticed in the aftermatch speech from Hooper is he still has the confidence thing going on and wouldnt admit they got smashed. That could be a good and bad thing. To me his team mates know they got smashed. He's a very young captain and has ALOT to learn imo. To me he needed to admit they got bent over here and move on from there. Things could go very pear shaped for him and that group if they continue to loose from here out.

Last edited:
From the highlights I saw Argentina looked well up for this. Like against NZ in welly last year. The only way the Australians are going to beat SA or Argentina is if their backs have a field day and as long as Link selects Beale at first five that aint going to happen.

If Link picks Beale at 10 again, then ARU should call Michael Cheika...

This is kinda unrelated, but has Owen Nkumane been promoted or something? Pretty sure he's commentated on all but one Springbok game this year (Matthew Pearce did the Scotland test). What's happened to Hugh Bladen?

Conrad, you're completely underestimating both the Springboks (safe to say they're better than England, and probably than Aus also but that'll be sorted in some weeks) AND your Pumas. They just took it to the Boks, twice in a row. No fear.
Just no fkng fear:
my cousin and I were cracking up during this match when at the end right before the last wheeling scrum you see the Pumas go wide, there's a guy who throws a double skip pass way out wide, like a 200meter pass out wide. It actually works, but at a time where they should've positioned for a DG, they throw a 700m double skip pass !!! They're fkng crazy your Pumas ! I'm not saying incompetent, I just mean they have balls like elephants !! NOBODY does that !

Any other team in the Pumas' position would be saying before the game: "okay, we need to shut down Le Roux and Habana, focus hard on the rucks and lineout, use our scrum, and try and get lucky, let's see. Make your kicks and try a few Drops if you're close enough. This Boks defense is huge, we can't mess around, okay ?"
Pumas ? Pumas fkn play like it's the 80's all over again, they had more flair than France could dream of having atm, they were juggling with the ball, even forwards handling and passing, big fat fkng props, guys running support lines, no rucks, everybody up on their feet in fluid motions.

And the Boks backs may not be as entertaining as other nations', esp. NZ or AUS, but they're still very dangerous. Hendricks is a very good winger, he may not dance too much with insane steps on the field but he's quite lethal. And then Habana...well, I believe he, along with Lomu, are the two guys who've had the most direct influence on their teams in the pro era. They're just imminent 7 pointer bombs waiting to happen.
Then Le Roux, he's no Folau or Ben Smith for sure, but he beats defenders on the regular.

So I don't think these two games shake up the hierarchy of world Rugby. What it does is, it doesn't even really put the Pumas on the map again, as they could easily get smashed in the next 4 games; it just helps confirm, with tremendous, echoing intensity that when they're on, don't fk with em.
And then for the Boks it helps confirm, after that 2nd Wales game, a) that first of all they're much more vulnerable and accessible than we thought at a point and b) they sometimes need a huge knock on the head, get stunned, but they then have an uncanny ability to come right back and win.

For me atm: 1.NZ 2.SA 3.AUS 4.ENG.
France sucks, but although they took 50 from the Wallabies, England could never inflict that on them right now. Wallabies are better, they just drew with NZ after all, remember ? AB were just mad as hell in Test 2.

While I've got a lot of respect for South Africa, and worries about how a game would go vs them for England in some respects, I don't think it's as clear cut as some people are saying, particularly when Meyer is making a bit of a mess of things. I mean, most countries in tier 1 test rugby must feel a ray of optimism on seeing Jannie du Plessis' name on the team sheet at least...

Also its pretty standard tactics against a team as big as South Africa to move the ball wide as quick as possible to force their monsters to run after it. Obviously that's not helter-skelter all the time, but anyone thinking of going conservative against them has lost.

Obviously that's not helter-skelter all the time, but anyone thinking of going conservative against them has lost.

good point. It's definitely that Pumas' recklessness that has surprised the Boks....twice in a row now. But Wales weren't all that "reckless" themselves in Test 2. They just beat them up with their pack, fought like crazy at the bdown, shook em in the scrum, and had good continuity in their game.
Things change oh so rapidly in sports, and Rugby in particular really, but right now (although this is silly because it's totally unfounded and could prove to be completely wrong) I'd say maybe England can fancy their chances of getting that long-awaited Boks scalp in November. Although surely the Boks will show up BIG time for that.

What a poor game. If the Springboks play like this against either Aus or NZ, then they'll beat us by a big margin. I thought Walsh had good-ish game. I think what ticked me off more was the fact that he had to communicate via cellphone with the TMO. How is it that when the Springboks go to Argentina it has to be a new venue with ****ty facilities??

At no point did I feel we should win this game. From the start we were just crap. There weren't many positives, but I'll focus on the few there are. Ruan Pienaar's slow ball and new haircut didn't help us at all, when Hougaard came on, our forwards were gaining yards and going over the advantage line, our backs also had more fluency. Morne Steyn was again reliable and kicked a lot better than Pollard, although this was Pollard's first start outside of the Republic. As much as I like De Allende, he was our biggest liability. He Knocked every crash ball he took, giving the Argies a scrum and again decimate our scrum (even with some suspect tactics from their side). Malherbe should now be our main tighthead prop. It doesn't help if Jannie keeps on complaining about his opposition, even if they scrum upwards or inwards, the ref won't just give him the desired penalty every scrum.

This was a test of character and yet again we showed we are capable of snatching victory out of the jaws of defeat, something I think is vital in preparation for the World Cup. Now that we're done with the Argies, I'm interested in seeing the Aussies and All Blacks take on the Argies at scrum time.

And yet again the stats were right, keeping the score margin with less than 3 points between these 2 teams in Argentina for the RC.

Well done Argentina on exposing our weak spots, hopefully we can sort it all out in the next 2 weeks.

How is it that when the Springboks go to Argentina it has to be a new venue with ****ty facilities??

Rosario got kicked out because of poor ticket sales, so we had to pick any other city to replace them and Salta's small stadium showed the most interest. We have many better stadiums but they are almost all in Buenos Aires and SANZAR told us we can't play more than 1 match there (they count La Plata as Buenos Aires kinda), so we had to choose this venue. We also have a big and good stadium in Cordoba but maybe it is more suited for football than Rugby.

Add to that the fact that fan interest in Argentina goes like: ABs 1st, Wallabies 2nd, Boks 3rd and there you got why you were sent there.

What a poor game. If the Springboks play like this against either Aus or NZ, then they'll beat us by a big margin. I thought Walsh had good-ish game. I think what ticked me off more was the fact that he had to communicate via cellphone with the TMO. How is it that when the Springboks go to Argentina it has to be a new venue with ****ty facilities??

At no point did I feel we should win this game. From the start we were just crap. There weren't many positives, but I'll focus on the few there are. Ruan Pienaar's slow ball and new haircut didn't help us at all, when Hougaard came on, our forwards were gaining yards and going over the advantage line, our backs also had more fluency. Morne Steyn was again reliable and kicked a lot better than Pollard, although this was Pollard's first start outside of the Republic. As much as I like De Allende, he was our biggest liability. He Knocked every crash ball he took, giving the Argies a scrum and again decimate our scrum (even with some suspect tactics from their side). Malherbe should now be our main tighthead prop. It doesn't help if Jannie keeps on complaining about his opposition, even if they scrum upwards or inwards, the ref won't just give him the desired penalty every scrum.

This was a test of character and yet again we showed we are capable of snatching victory out of the jaws of defeat, something I think is vital in preparation for the World Cup. Now that we're done with the Argies, I'm interested in seeing the Aussies and All Blacks take on the Argies at scrum time.

And yet again the stats were right, keeping the score margin with less than 3 points between these 2 teams in Argentina for the RC.

Well done Argentina on exposing our weak spots, hopefully we can sort it all out in the next 2 weeks.
Well certainly did play crap for the vast majority of the match but like you said we did struggle in Argentina the two previous occasions as well so I don't think we should jump to conclusions that suddenly we're crap. A lot of credit has to go to Argentina. I think they really took it too us and match up well to us particularly more so than with theoother two.

What I don't understand is why we left playing positive rugby till we were two tries down. Everyone should knowby now that the way the game is managed by refs now rewards the positive team for themmost part and we look good enough with ball in hand with anyone bar Pienaar ar9. If he and Jannie are starting again next time I just might go hiking rather.
I think we are only now realising just how much we depend ON fdp. Sad to see the new guys struggling so. I was really excited about pollard and delete Allende. I don't want to throw them away just yet though. I want to see pollard outside fdp or at least hougaard first and to be fair deal Allende got thrust in there out of the position in which he showed his promise and straight back from injury... Probably too much to ask such a young man. Hope they both keep their confidence and natural game and us fans keep perspective.

What i find astonishing is that Joaquín Tuculet,Juan Martín Hernández,Amorosino and Nicolás Sánchez are all free agents !!!!

I tuned into this one just as Argentina scored to go 25 - 16 up, and all I could thin of was that 2nd SA vs Wales test and how SA were gonna somehow claw their way back in to the match... Argentina were a joy to watch anyway, as Ewis said they played with a hell of a lot of flair and some of the handling was superb!

Two games in a row they were dominated by the Pumas, in rain and in dry weather. Also they were dominated by Wales in the second test in June. These Boks aren't invincible, Argentina and Wales simply don't have top class backs like Israel Folau or Ben Smith, who can make a difference. Aussies and Kiwis have top class backs, SA is in trouble.

Not sure I agree with that fully, as the arguably the losing factor for Wales vs SA in that 2nd test (assuming you're referring to that game) came from the forwards not being able to deal with SA's annoyingly effective driving mauls in the 1st half... That period of being down to 13 men let SA right back into a game where the backs were for the most part pretty excellent. Admittedly George North, our main player who fits into the world class bracket alongside Folau and Smith seemed completely absent for the entire match, but I'm still not convinced that he was 100% ready to play after illness.

Anyway I thought as a unit, the Argentine backs looked very sharp. As I said earlier, their handling was superb which led to Montero and Tuculet's tries, both of whom I was impressed with from what I saw of the live match.

Well certainly did play crap for the vast majority of the match but like you said we did struggle in Argentina the two previous occasions as well so I don't think we should jump to conclusions that suddenly we're crap. A lot of credit has to go to Argentina. I think they really took it too us and match up well to us particularly more so than with theoother two.

What I don't understand is why we left playing positive rugby till we were two tries down. Everyone should knowby now that the way the game is managed by refs now rewards the positive team for themmost part and we look good enough with ball in hand with anyone bar Pienaar ar9. If he and Jannie are starting again next time I just might go hiking rather.
I think we are only now realising just how much we depend ON fdp. Sad to see the new guys struggling so. I was really excited about pollard and delete Allende. I don't want to throw them away just yet though. I want to see pollard outside fdp or at least hougaard first and to be fair deal Allende got thrust in there out of the position in which he showed his promise and straight back from injury... Probably too much to ask such a young man. Hope they both keep their confidence and natural game and us fans keep perspective.

oh how kind of you. :p
I appreciate some of the lucidity on this thread stating real facts about this game. As a non-Saffer neutral I'd say Boks fans don't have a whole lot to worry about and it was more a case of the Pumas playing well than it was the Boks playing awful. I mean the Boks did come storming right back from fifteen points down and won this thing. Boks still have a real chance of knocking the Blacks at home and still should beat the Wallies at least once.

What i find astonishing is that Joaquín Tuculet,Juan Martín Hernández,Amorosino and Nicolás Sánchez are all free agents !!!!

Mainly because some are past their sell by date but, more importantly, the time that this competition takes out of the European season means they are no longer employable other than as medical jokers! I think you will find that a lot of these players will be picked up on that basis.....

Well certainly did play crap for the vast majority of the match but like you said we did struggle in Argentina the two previous occasions as well so I don't think we should jump to conclusions that suddenly we're crap.......

......but you were also crap last week too!! I really expected a raised performance this week and for the Saffers to give the Argentinians a good spanking instead of crawling over the line in a pretty poor game altogether. Yes the Argentinians threw it about but so many mistakes.....

Mainly because some are past their sell by date but, more importantly, the time that this competition takes out of the European season means they are no longer employable other than as medical jokers! I think you will find that a lot of these players will be picked up on that basis.....

Would they not be able to compete late October ? Not sure when the championship ends but they still give you a good few months during the 6 nations as well. Put it this way when Farrell goes off for England I would love to see Sanchez or Hernandez playing instead. Also Tuculet made his opposite number look damn average, and Hernandez looked a class apart, his tactical kicking is worth the money on its own !!

Latest posts