• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2014 TRC] Argentina v South Africa in Salta (23/08/2014)

Argggghhhhh so sick of these close but no cigar Pumas games, very exciting contest though one of my favourite games of the year.

Aaaaah, terrible pass straight in to touch.

So close yet so far for Argentina.
Hope they've not peaked too early - Australia won't fancy the trip over there!

Really disappointing last phase. Scrum wheeled by SA, ball comes out and Arg miss pass into touch!!!

Argentina had their chances today. Hurt by the poor conversion of kicking and a few avoidable defensive lapses.

JDP came back on, but i thought SA had used all their Substitutions... if so then should surely have had to play with 14 men.

For a simple Manxmen can you explain why any Argentinian would support any country against their own in any sport?

Read the first message, please. Then the conversation was distorted in personal attacks, but the first message is important:

http://www.therugbyforum.com/threads/32906-In-Argentina-The-working-class-hates-Rugby

##

Same as UK but surely the Brits would not support the opposition against the English rugby team?

Here the differences in social classes are bigger than in Europe, because we are a third world country. So the hatred is greater.

Last edited by a moderator:
BTW where are now all those users who thought Pumas were only competitive last week because of the rain??

Sounds like a great, but heartbreaking game for Argentin. Can't wait to catch up tomorrow.

This week the sun gave them a unfair advantage south Africans aren't use to playing in sun and heat like that.

Don't you hate it when the sun does that?

I has a sad. I really wanted the Pumas to win. :( Sooooo close!

Also a bit disappointed that the commentator feed (for me) was in Spanish.

das

Argggghhhhh so sick of these close but no cigar Pumas games, very exciting contest though one of my favourite games of the year.

my cousin was visiting tonight (finally somebody who likes Rugby in real life for me !) and we were both fully behind Argentina. When Argentina had their biggest lead at 28-16 I believe, we both joked that the Boks would of course have to win by 2 points at the end. We literally agreed by two points. the whole match from then on, we kept cracking jokes about this happening, and unbelievably, it happened. Argentinians must be absolutely...well, it must be somewhat comedic at this point. It's just surreal.
Too much to say about the match, but the Pumas are *fkng incredible*. They've got balls this big. And well done South Africa coming all the way back, as inevitable as it felt they still had to go and do it in a hostile environment. Clever wheeling of the scrum at the end to avoid the certain Pumas scrum dominance and penalty...

Pumas played with great intent and tried such gutsy plays, put beautiful movements together. I really do love this Pumas side, no way they should be able to do this against the second best in the world, given both sides on paper. No way. Highest respect.

As for the match itself, what can I say, 60+ points scored and suspense til the end. Another classic. Conrad you said earlier today you preferred the 6N, well eat your heart out. Your boys put on a fkng vintage show. I'd rather be Argentinian today than French, Rugby-wise, with guys who play with more heart than you'd think ever possible for 80 minutes with little to work with on paper, than possibly the deepest nation in the world that can't find a way to play half as well as they should.

Last edited:
Pumas really deserve some wins now. Sad to see them come so close and lose.

JDP came back on, but i thought SA had used all their Substitutions... if so then should surely have had to play with 14 men.
Even if that were the rule, which it is not, I think Argentina would have preferred JDP to rather come on! I think any South African would have been glad for uncontested scrums.

On my phone now so not going to post anything overly lengthy right now other than that I would not have cried to see a full value Pumas win. Hope they can bring the same sort of passion against the others! It'll happen sooner rather than later. Some soul searching to be done by us but I am happy just for the win : Argentina really brought the game to us and I thought we did really well to hang on and were lucky they missed a few at goal.

I really think some kicks should have been taken by Bosch and not Sánchez. He lacks the necessary leg power for +40m kicks.

Latest posts