• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2014 TRC] Argentina v Australia in Mendoza (04/10/2014)

:bananarock::bananarock::bananarock::bananarock::bananarock::bananarock::bananarock::bananarock::bananarock::bananarock::bananarock::bananarock:

Last edited by a moderator:
Rubbish match.. And the lasers. What a fcuken disgrace on argentine rugby.

They need to sort that crap out.

Yea its disgusting! I dont think Argentina should be considered for hosting a world cup until they stop acting like Soccer fans and behave like Rugby fans. Also I think it was last year cruden got to retake a kick after he was distracted by a laser why did we not get this? . I know we played awful but I feel as if we did not deserve to loose to Argentina. oh well the Wallabies always play well after an awful performance. Time to bring Quade back

:bananasperm::bananasperm::bananasperm::bananasperm::bananasperm::bananasperm::bananasperm::bananasperm::bananasperm::bananasperm::bananasperm::bananasperm:

In regards to being more concerned with League than NRL, that's true. But only because the Wallabies are going through a rough patch. Fair weather supporters etc etc.

Not really mate - even during our "golden era" when the Wallabies held every single trophy we were contesting and League had just emerged battered from the Super League war, more people were tuning in to watch the State of Origin and NRL GFs than they were the Bledisloe Cup. Back then you'd see about 1.5 million people tune in for the Bledisloe, whilst about 2 million watched Origin.

Since then the administration of Rugby in this country has gone massively backwards to the point that they're facing bankruptcy, whilst League has improved its position literally 10 fold (in TV dollar terms). As a business Rugby League just has massively stronger fundamentals in this country (not reliant on a clutch of prissy boys at private schools for development for instance) and has increasingly been run in a far smarter way.

The biggest problem has from the get go been Rugby's "exclusiveness" here - something the decision to give the TV contract to fox for everything but Wallaby tests, has done untold damage (only 30% of the population have cable TV). That's something that Wallaby success only manages to temporarily hide, but has never disappeared.

It's got nothing to do with fair weather support and the proof for that again is in Origin - 8 years of disappointment for NSW didn't hurt it at all... in fact it's gotten stronger each year and all three games this year attracted 4 million plus viewers. The Bledisloe? In spite of massive optimism after the Waratahs Super Rugby success, it couldn't manage to crack a million viewers.

This translates into national strength too - the Wallabies can't handle a few injuries before they really struggle. The Kangaroos? They can handle twice as many injuries and still field a scary looking team. In fact they will this year.

I posted this elsewhere, but have a look yourself. Currently, this is who is out of the Roos:

Justin Hodges (Broncos), Matt Gillett (Broncos), Brett Morris (Dragons), Josh Dugan (Dragons), Trent Merrin (Dragons), Will Hopoate (Eels), Andrew Fifita (Sharks), Michael Gordon (Sharks), Billy Slater (Storm), Dave Taylor (***ans), Brent Tate (Cowboys - career ending injury), Paul Gallen (ASADA ban), Darius Boyd (Knights), Luke Lewis (Sharks).

That's a pretty massive list of rep players out on a scale worse than what was suffered by the Wallabies. But the Roos have so much depth that we could still field a side that looked like this:

Cronk
Thurston
Morris (Brett)
Jennings
Hayne
Stewart
Inglis

Meanwhile, we could still field a forward pack of:

Thaiday
Smith
Scott
Bird
Tamou

So it's still going to be a powerful side and Matt Scott has to be one of the best props running around right now.

Last edited:
Yea its disgusting! I dont think Argentina should be considered for hosting a world cup until they stop acting like Soccer fans and behave like Rugby fans.

Yeah, let's keep rugby in a little bubble, where no one can break into until he's not behaving as a real rugby fan. That's just sh*t. It IS a shame to use lasers or stuff like that, but it's not like "as a team you can't play in Argentina, because they're lasering like crazy". That happened, we have to talk about it, but not in the way, that smaller rugby nations have to discipline their fans for beeing worth to host a WC and make the game more popular in their region, in that case, whole South America.

Interesting fact: I've not seen any lasers in football games in Argentina. This kind of stuff is more common in Southeast Europe and Northern Africa, I guess.

Anyway, with or without lasers, los Pumas won a weak game against Australia, but it's a great result for rugby in Argentina and will be a pushup for the hard working teams of Chile and Uruguay as well. Vamos Los Pumas, Vamos Latinoamérica!

You must acknowledge that Aussies are more concerned about League than Union, they have the money and manpower to crush NZ, if they wanted. Australia is losing interest in the Union, that's negative for rugby world. If League and Union come together in a unique code, Aussies could crush All Blacks as cockroaches. Australia has five Super rugby franchises, plus 15 franchises from NRL, so...

Maybe. You could also say that if rugby was the national sport of every country in the world then America would be the best. A bit of a pointless argument though.

You must acknowledge that Aussies are more concerned about League than Union, they have the money and manpower to crush NZ, if they wanted. Australia is losing interest in the Union, that's negative for rugby world. If League and Union come together in a unique code, Aussies could crush All Blacks as cockroaches. Australia has five Super rugby franchises, plus 15 franchises from NRL, so...

That's really worked for the English hasn't it? ...Said nobody ever.

In Argentina, the Wallabies lose...

I hope the arrogance of the Wobbly Fans will die down a bit now.

Oh, and shame on you kovana, generalising the entire Argentine Rugby nation for one or 2 morons with a laser. The Argentine players on the field had nothing to do with that, and only played with what was ahead of them.

I sense that with the latest turmoil in the Aussie camp, and this loss, a few heads might roll...

In Argentina, the Wallabies lose...

I hope the arrogance of the Wobbly Fans will die down a bit now.

Oh, and shame on you kovana, generalising the entire Argentine Rugby nation for one or 2 morons with a laser. The Argentine players on the field had nothing to do with that, and only played with what was ahead of them.

I sense that with the latest turmoil in the Aussie camp, and this loss, a few heads might roll...

I was thinking that earlier as well, something like a laser as you correctly said Hein can just be used by one or two idiots, even if the other 25,998 in attendance are well behaved and find it outrageous as well. It does need to be cracked down on but other than that I haven't seen any problems with the Pumas crowds.

I was thinking that earlier as well, something like a laser as you correctly said Hein can just be used by one or two idiots, even if the other 25,998 in attendance are well behaved and find it outrageous as well. It does need to be cracked down on but other than that I haven't seen any problems with the Pumas crowds.

This happens at many sporting events, not just in rugby or soccer. The problem is that it's very hard to control, some if these lasers are so small that it could be mistaken for something else, and yet still be a tool to distract someone.

Sometimes it's not even someone in the stands. My neighbour, who is a qualified professional hunter, uses lasers when they do nighthunting, and some of those lasers can point to a spot miles away.

I can't comment too much on the game itself as I couldn't watch it in real time (saw the first few and the last five minutes, that's all), but I have a basic grasp of how the teams played and such from this thread. So, neither team brought their A game, as I understand it. That happens. Australia has been under some stress from within the team, and Argentina, I'm sure, could be struggling with the 'trying TOO hard' syndrome that sometimes happens to a team when the pressure is on to get a first win. Both scenarios could account for mistakes and poor teamwork.

Still, I'm guessing if a poor Argentine side went up against a poor Australian side LAST year the Wallabies would still have come out on top. From the previous games I've watched Argentina is an improved side over last year. Yes, they do still make mistakes, but at least there wasn't another 54-17 or 73-13 blowout as in previous years. Do they have areas to work on? Yes. And hopefully they will. Do they have a chance of winning against NZ or SA next year? Certainly, especially if they keep improving and work hard to correct their common mistakes.

The sad thing in all of this is that too many people are taking away from the Pumas victory by blaming Australia, or by saying that it wasn't a high quality game due to sloppy play. Who cares? I mean...really, who cares? No team is perfect*, and teams will have off days and off games, but whether they can hold it together long enough to get the win or not takes a lot of skill and effort, too. And Argentina has hung in there in the RC, not giving up despite a lot of fans who seemingly think they don't belong there. Well, it looks like they do. So let's let Argentina bask in their hard-fought victory, they deserve it.

das

*See NZ All Blacks

This happens at many sporting events, not just in rugby or soccer. The problem is that it's very hard to control, some if these lasers are so small that it could be mistaken for something else, and yet still be a tool to distract someone.

Sometimes it's not even someone in the stands. My neighbour, who is a qualified professional hunter, uses lasers when they do nighthunting, and some of those lasers can point to a spot miles away.

The UAR need to address this and find the people responsible. The trouble is that it is damned difficult to do. A laser beam is invisible until it hits a target and its source is pretty much invisible for anyone who isn't within a small fraction of a degree out to about 10 degrees either side of its path, depending on the type of laser.

I think what needs to happen is a pre-arrangement to have the kicker to note the approximate area of the crowd they see the laser in and to tell the referee who then relays that information to the authorities. All the ground cameras except one to look at the crowd at that end of the ground while the kick is being taken and the subsequent video is searched for someone pointing a laser. If the laser is coming from outside the ground (which is very unlikely anyway) then the kicker will be able to tell, and there won't be a lot that can be done.

Another way might be to put a bounty on the laser user; broadcast a ground announcement before the match that there is a reward of, say US$5000, for anyone who catches a person using a laser, and prosecution plus a lifetime ban from all grounds for the person so caught. If the local fan who uses the laser knows that people are now actively watching for him every time the opposition kicks for goal, it might act as a deterrent.

Last edited:
Congrats to Argentina for achieving their first Rugby Championship win. They consistently outplayed the Wallabies for at least 70 minutes and came back from a 14-0 deficit.
They also did this without a couple of their key players and this should also be noted.

As for the Wallabies, there's not much good you can take out of that game.

Sooooooooooooooomoos los Pirataaaaaaaaaaass!
Amigos de la noche, los gatos y las trampas
Sooooooooooooooomoos los Pirataaaaaaaaaaass!
Después del cabareeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet
Nos vamos para el saunaaaaaaaa!
Nos vamos para el saunaaaaaaaa!
Laaaaaaaaaaaaaa Laaaaaaaaaaaaa Laaaaaaaaaaaa
Son los piratas!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:banana-doob::xena_banana::banana_flip::banana-doob::xena_banana::banana_flip::banana-doob::xena_banana::banana_flip::banana-doob::xena_banana::banana_flip::banana-doob::xena_banana::banana_flip::banana-doob::xena_banana::banana_flip:

He's talking about Australia, not England. Why even bring England into it?

What a sh*t post.

There you go kiddo. Here's a tissue *hands a tissue*

better?

If you don't understand why i referenced England in the context of my response, you're sure as hell not going to understand any meaningful explanation i would offer.

For some reason I quite enjoyed this match. Perhaps it wasn't the greatest spectacle of rugby, but it was tight, and there was no shortage of drama. I felt both sides were their own worst enemies. Argentina made far too many unforced handling errors, while Australia committed numerous (unnecessary) infringements at the breakdown, and seemed to somewhat self-destruct at the end (both yellow cards were undoubtedly warranted IMO). I thought Argentina were really playing into the Wallabies hands early in the match with their expansive play - it was no coincidence that once the game got a bit tighter and more scrappy they came into their own.

Argentina's front-row laid a fantastic platform - Creevy again was everywhere too. I thought Baez was good, and was impressed with replacement flanker Ortega Desio too. Imhoff again impressed on the wing, and Agulla made some good runs at centre.

I thought Horwill added some good physicality for Australia, but is a bit of a penalty magnet at the moment. Sam Carter was anonymous yet again. He made a good start to his test career versus France, but has been very quiet every since, and lacks the physicality required at test level IMO. Though I'm not a fan of Higginbotham I thought he had a pretty good game at 8, with some good runs and some excellent support play. The backline didn't get a lot of ball, but did look very dangerous early in the match. Folau was the most dangerous back on display (as usual) though both AAC and Kuridrani had their moments.

:dance2::dance3::dance2::dance3::dance2::dance3::dance2::dance3::dance2::dance2::dance2::dance3::dance2:

It's fun to stay at the y-m-c-a.

They have everything for you men to enjoy,
You can hang out with all the boys ...

You can get yourself cleaned, you can have a good meal,
You can do whatever you feel ...

Latest posts