• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2014 TRC] Argentina v Australia in Mendoza (04/10/2014)

Jaguares

International
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Argentina
Club or Nation
Argentina
140928063120745198.png

140928063123564227.png

1 Marcos Ayerza
2 Agustin Creevy (c)
3 Nahuel Tetaz Chaparro
4 Mariano Galarza
5 Tomas Lavanini
6 Rodrigo Baez
7 Benjamin Macome
8 Leonardo Senatore
9 Martin Landajo
10 Nicolas Sanchez
11 Gonzalez Amorosino
12 Juan Martin Hernandez
13 Horacio Agulla
14 Juan Imhoff
15 Joaquin Tuculet

Reserves:

16 Matias Cortese, 17 Bruno Postiglioni, 18 Ramiro Herrera, 19 Matias Alemanno, 20 Javier Ortega Desio, 21 Tomas Cubelli,
22 Marcelo Bosch, 23 Jeronimo De la Fuente
140928063119976523.png

140928063117535503.png

1 James Slipper
2 Saia Fainga'a
3 Sekope Kepu
4 Sam Carter
5 James Horwill
6 Scott Fardy
7 Michael Hooper (c)
8 Scott Higginbotham
9 Nick Phipps
10 Bernard Foley
11 Joe Tomane
12 Matt Toomua
13 Tevita Kuridrani
14 Adam Ashley-Cooper
15 Israel Folau

Reserves:

16 Josh Mann-Rea, 17 Benn Robinson, 18 Ben Alexander, 19 Will Skelton, 20 Jake Schatz, 22 Nic White, 23 Rob Horne

Stadium: Malvinas Argentinas
Capacity: 45,268
City: Mendoza
Referee: Nigel Owens

140928063127929210.jpg

Last edited:
hard to call.
In 2012, in their first participation the Pumas had all the enthusiasm of a dog let out of the car after a long trip. They were unleashed and pushed teams hard, everybody was loving them around the world, they then won in Cardiff, it was wonderful. This particular fixture, they made a close one to finish off the tournament, understandably from all the euphoria and promise.
This third, 2014 campaign is already a better one than last year's. No 60-point defeats, and no such internal issues. For me that means no 55 points laid down from the Wallabies in Argentina, and although the Aussies sensibly must remain the favorites considering this young tournament's history and successive outcomes, there's definitely a real chance the Pumas can win. The Wallabies are better though this year, they drew with NZ at home, beat the Saffers and Argies, and look a lot more resilient on the whole than last year's edition of the squad. But the Pumas also are much better, in all facets (but the scrum, been the same - DOMINANT), and are a much more cohesive group, and exit the internal headaches too. It's obviously relevant to bring up the Pumas' very good effort on the Gold Coast a couple of weeks ago, where they managed 25 points, a thin defeat, and tied the Wallabies in tries scored with 3.
I don't know which 23 the Pumas can field, injuries have come up - but they've got enough in the XV and bench too to - *FINALLY * - get that very first win. Because that's also what they're playing for, not just yet another test match. They're still chasing that motherfuccker. (yeah that's actually how I end this post)

if the match is played in the rain, they have a shot. if it isn't, they have already lost, they just don't have the game breaking skill in the backs yet to compete with SA/NZ/AUS.

Hard to call??? Are u drunk?

Australia improved their scrum, Kepu and Slipper did well against SA. In addition, we won't have our best backrow: "Fernandez Lobbe-Pablo Matera-Juan Leguizamon", Fernandez Lobbe returns to France to meet his newborn son. Also, Kuridrani right now is the clone of Julian Savea, we can't stop him

Australia easily by 25

Last edited:
Only way this match is close is if it is ******* down rain. Then the ARG forwards can wear down the AUS. Dry weather, they AUS backs will tear ARG apart just like NZ's did last night.

I'm not going to be so extremist on this... Aus by 14. Both teams get to score some tries, everyone goes home happy.

Hard to call??? Are u drunk?

Australia improved their scrum, Kepu and Slipper did well against SA. In addition, we won't have our best backrow: "Fernandez Lobbe-Pablo Matera-Juan Leguizamon", Fernandez Lobbe returns to France to meet his newborn son. Also, Kuridrani right now is the clone of Julian Savea, we can't stop him

Australia easily by 25

how...dare you...no I'm sober unfortunately. Lobbe's out ay...hmmm...fk...can't his fkng son wait just a little bit, God, what a fkng asshole...and yes I agree with you, Julian Savea and Kuridrani would make a fantastic calendar together. Exotic setting, body oil, Tarzan kilts, 12 HQ pics...yeah so I changed my mind Aussies by 30.

Australia:

Simmons, Toomua and McCalman out

Skelton and Jake Schatz in

Argentina:

Fernandez Lobbe out

Javier Ortega Desio in

Arg have a real shot here. But I think Aus by 3.

Not sure why there is always such hate for Australia? To be honest I don't care it we lose against Argentina, they're a capable side.

We have picked up a few more injuries and it's the last game, we can't win tournament, so I'm hoping link will start Skelton and Godwin in place of Simmons and Toomua so we can see what some of the younger guys have got.

Australia can't improve their IRB rating with Argentina at an all time low. Argentina can climb though if they managa the upset;

Arg win <15
will see Argentina climb to 10th in between Samoa and Japon
Aus would drop to 4rth behind England

Arg win =+15
The unimaginable will see Argentina climb to 9th behind Scotland and ahead of Samoa
Aus would drop to 4rth a little over half a point ahead of Ireland

A draw would see Argentina climb 1 to swap with Fiji into 11th
Aus would stay just ahead of England at no.3

Home (on 73.97 points) at home -vs- Away (on 87.07 points)

Not sure why there is always such hate for Australia? To be honest I don't care it we lose against Argentina, they're a capable side.

We have picked up a few more injuries and it's the last game, we can't win tournament, so I'm hoping link will start Skelton and Godwin in place of Simmons and Toomua so we can see what some of the younger guys have got.

Usually, those who hate Australia are Kiwis or Poms :p

Without Fernandez Lobbe, Argentina loses too much. Kepu and Slipper are doing the Aussie's front row, a competitive front row. So we can't take much advantage of the scrum.

It's a game for Kurtley Beale, our centers (Hernandez and Bosch) don't have much power, so his poor defense won't be as noticeable. Also, Kuridrani and Folau are mortal weapons. Izzy didn't play a great game against SA, if he returns to his level. He and Kuridrani are going to make disasters in our defense :eek:

TBH everyone hates on Aus and England. But it's a love-to-hate kind of 'hate' for the most part. At least that's the way I see it.

And, yeah, me too; I would love to see Argentina win this but more so for the sake of Argentina winning than for Aus losing. Can't see it happen though; too much class in the backline and Hooper adds a ton in general play and it's not like the Aus set piece as has been as poor as usual. Aussie by 25.

EDIT; can I just add here that the Aussie supporters I encountered in Cape Town was a joy to hang around.

fk this, Lobbe is exactly the one guy they couldn't afford losing...him and Sanchez. Thankfully they've kept one of two. Wallabies by 42.

TBH everyone hates on Aus and England. But it's a love-to-hate kind of 'hate' for the most part. At least that's the way I see it.

And, yeah, me too; I would love to see Argentina win this but more so for the sake of Argentina winning than for Aus losing. Can't see it happen though; too much class in the backline and Hooper adds a ton in general play and it's not like the Aus set piece as has been as poor as usual. Aussie by 25.

EDIT; can I just add here that the Aussie supporters I encountered in Cape Town was a joy to hang around.

Australia is the most powerful Commonwealth's country between countries with rugby tradition. (That excludes Canada). So this creates a kind of admiration and hatred that you always feel against the giants.

Although the code is not so popular in their country, they have achieved in rugby more than the English themselves and their 2 million rugby players.

Many want to see Australia as uncompetitive, I don't see it. For example in the last game, they did well. People only talk about the last 10 minutes, but they forget that Australia's attacking was very good, with their running rugby earned easily territory and could beat the Springboks in their own country.

The Nick Phipps' try would have been a mortal wound to the Springboks, but Fainga'a and his stupid penalty helped the Boks.

From here to the WC, Australia can only improve: Slipper, Kepu, Moore, Hooper, Palu, Genia, Cooper, Toomua, Kuridrani, AAC, Speight, JOC, Folau... They will be a tough opponent for anyone in the WC, and that's the most important.

They have lost all their games against ABs, but according to the rugby experts, the ABs 2012/2014 are the best team in professionalism and probably the best team in rugby's history, you can't fight against it. In the WC you can only face once against them, and there the pressure will fall on the ABs and it can happen same thing that happened in 1991, 1995, 1999, 2003 or 2007.

Last edited:

Latest posts