• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2014 Six Nations: Ireland vs Wales (Round 2)

Big Ewis

Hall of Fame
Country Flag
France
Club or Nation
Toulon
Ireland.pngVersus Super.pngWales.png

Ireland vs Wales

Date: Saturday, February 8th 2014 - 14:30 GMT (UTC+0)
Referee: Wayne Barnes (England)

Jonathan Davies has returned to the Welsh squad, while Aaron Shingler has been released back to the Scarlets with an injury.

this one is going to be JUST as intense as the last two meetings between the two. Neither team likes to win at home in this fixture...they'll set the tone from the getgo and won't look back. We'll see tries for sure as both teams like to go forward with true intent on scoring, and they have in the last two meetings (5 tries in 2012 and 6 last year).

Definitely the match of the weekend every neutral Rugby fan will be eager to savor. France Italy I believe will get ugly for Italy and won't be close anyhow, and Scotland England will be a grindout "in the mud" with one edging over the other...but this one is a guaranteed show. And how important for the respective futures of both teams in the tournament...

I think this is a pivotal match for Ireland, if we win this we're heading to Twickenham on form with a championship very much in sight. If we lose a championship looks a long way off and we're heading to play a team we haven't beaten in three years off the back of a defeat, triple crown is gone as well for what it's worth and I'd be happy enough with a triple crown this year!

I think this is a pivotal match for Ireland, if we win this we're heading to Twickenham on form with a championship very much in sight. If we lose a championship looks a long way off and we're heading to play a team we haven't beaten in three years off the back of a defeat, triple crown is gone as well for what it's worth and I'd be happy enough with a triple crown this year!

oh well you better settle for that. You ain't winning in Paris, biiiiitch

taylor_hair.jpg

WALES SQUAD TO PLAY IRELAND:
Leigh Halfpenny (Cardiff Blues), Alex Cuthbert (Cardiff Blues), Scott Williams (Scarlets), Jamie Roberts (Racing Metro), George North (Northampton Saints), Rhys Priestland (Scarlets), Mike Phillips (Racing Metro), Gethin Jenkins (Cardiff Blues), Richard Hibbard (Ospreys), Adam Jones (Ospreys), Andrew Coombs (Newport Gwent Dragons), Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys), Dan Lydiate (Racing Metro), Sam Warburton (CAPT â€" Cardiff Blues), Taulupe Faletau (Newport Gwent Dragons).

Replacements: Ken Owens (Scarlets), Paul James (Bath Rugby), Rhodri Jones (Scarlets), Jake Ball (Scarlets), Justin Tipuric (Ospreys), Rhys Webb (Ospreys), James Hook (Perpignan), Liam Williams (Scarlets).

A topic of interest cropped up on Scrum V this week around the Wales gameplan:

Gwyn Jones whose views have never really chimed with my own was quite complacently suggesting that even though you know whats coming when you play Wales, it's nigh on impossible to stop and he followed up by saying that no northern hemipshere sides yet have been able to stop Wales and he doesn't see why that's going to change. He said that Southern hemisphere is a different matter. As usual on scrum V there was noone to pose a more nuanced and neutral account so it went unquestioned but it's an interesting topic nonetheless..

My view is that Wales can't afford to not try and add strings to their bow, simply because of recent success in the tournament. The fact is that the other nations, particularly England, Ireland and France, are getting better and really adding to their game . Each have been embedding new coaches, new outlooks and blooding new players in the last few years and are starting to build. From an England point of view we've built a pack which picks itself, and in the backs the areas of contention are becoming fewer.

Looking at Wales, I feel they should stay more open to bringing in players who don't fit the type. I've always liked the look of Eli Walker for example but can't think when he'll next get a shot. I guess Cuthbert has done little wrong, but Walker has a higher ceiling imo.

Interesting that Charteris hasn't made the 23 at all, with Jake Ball on the bench. Did Charteris pick up an injury against Italy, or has he been dropped after a mediocre performance?

Tipuric didn't have the best of games against Italy, so I can see why Warburton has come in and Lydiate has retained his place.

I was expecting to see Jon Davies on the bench tbh. Gatland isn't usually against chucking players back in after injury, but Davies can't be ready yet.

Henry, mmyeah interesting what you're saying but I don't see it as concern for Wales. Having huge backs has worked more often than not.
Just against Italy the other day, Wales only gets through because Roberts is a 110kg monster at midfield.
Last year, France and Wales play a hugely intense game with immense defense on both sides, North only scores because again he's a 110kg monster.

Roberts, North, Cuthbert, Davies...even Philips at SH. I know this is getting old from my part, but it's still isn't less true: no substitute for pure mass in Rugby. That formula works, and will continue to work. You can't just "figure out" Wales and know you'll defend well and win, there's not much learning from defending massive frontal impacts. Guys like Tuilagi and North and Roberts are gonna continue to break with consistency because they're on good teams with other concerns for the opposite defense to get their hands full from, and 110kg in a back is just gon make breaks homie, always and always and forevermore.
Gatland understood that very fast, and has utilized it perfectly.

IF Wales win the ***le again, some will still continue to point out and criticize the one-dimensional-ness. If they don't, it will be even more reason for those same critics to point out that Wales are one-dimensional, but regardless of either case it's not a flaw but a quality, and a quality only. The huger the better, just so long as they're mobile and have some sense of Rugby running. Roberts ain't exactly an athletic grace to watch, he runs straight and breaks tackles...period.

So in conclusion, that's by far their best bet for 2015. They're not going to change the whole culture of the team they'd been building since late 2011 and develop Wallaby-like flair, and those guys are young enough, and that's what they should - and will - use for London 2015.

EDIT: oh so G.Jenkins is back for Wales. Good, Ireland will be truly tested in the scrum with a fully healthy front row for the visitors.

Last edited:
EDIT: oh so G.Jenkins is back for Wales. Good, Ireland will be truly tested in the scrum with a fully healthy front row for the visitors.

I don't think this will be much of a factor tbh Front rows are very evenly matched. We will be tested most in defense tbh, North and Robert's are hard men to stop but I'd have faith in D'Arcy and BOD =.

Paul James would be even more of a test for the Irish scrum tbh. The Welsh scrum struggled against Ireland's last year and Adam Jones has not been having the kindest of years. I think that facet could be in Ireland's favour.

Last edited:
I really do feel sorry for Dan Biggar. What does he have to do to get ahead of Priestland?! I wasn't impressed with Priestlands decision making last week, won't get away with the silly running off on his own this week (only truly worked out once when he got close to scoring...). Plus his territorial kicking was odd at times, in particular that random penalty kick downfield that gave the ball away instead of going to touch?! I'm not too confident for this one, I do expect us to improve, but just can see things not going out way

Wasn't that halfpenny that kicked the penalty away down field?
I'm sure that's what the commentary said

Why are people surprised that Gatland is selecting his favourites? He has made it blatantly clear that form won't get in the way of his selections. One rule for most, a different for 'the clique'.

Latest posts