• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2014 Six Nations: Ireland vs Scotland (Round 1)

Hook-"I don't think most people would have picked Jackson as number 2"

FFS.

Wales weren't special yesterday but you'd know they'll rise it and we will have to too. As for Schmidt I think he will be really upset with back play today. I can't blame any individual back but there just seemed to be no structure today. They all were good in open play but I think that aspect will be key area of work for week

Neither lock played well enough to keep POC out but that's some statement if they had and a long way from saying they weren't good. I thought both men put in big physical shifts around midfield and the contact area. Ireland can point to the set piece upper hand too. I'd say they had good games.

I see no reason POC and Tuohy couldn't work, I think you'd want Toner against teams that compete very well in the lineout, but Tuohy for a more physical battle with a lineout you'd attack.

But Peat other aspects. Toner leaked a few pens, Tuohy driven back with ease by a 13. As I said both did ok but I wouldn't say either were superb. I thought set pieces went well but Scots were terrible there so it's hard to read it accurate. Regards who to start I think Henderson is one I'd like but Toner seems to be ahead of Tuohy and it'll be hard to see that pecking order change based on today

images

But Peat other aspects. Toner leaked a few pens, Tuohy driven back with ease by a 13. As I said both did ok but I wouldn't say either were superb. I thought set pieces went well but Scots were terrible there so it's hard to read it accurate. Regards who to start I think Henderson is one I'd like but Toner seems to be ahead of Tuohy and it'll be hard to see that pecking order change based on today

A good performance allows for a few errors and frankly most locks will get driven back if they take a ball standing still and are the blindsided by an onrushing 13.

I think a lot of you are being pretty stingy with your praise really to be honest. It was a good performance, nothing to get too excited about but pats on the back all round.

A good performance allows for a few errors and frankly most locks will get driven back if they take a ball standing still and are the blindsided by an onrushing 13.

I think a lot of you are being pretty stingy with your praise really to be honest. It was a good performance, nothing to get too excited about but pats on the back all round.
Not being stingy just hard to gauge it. Like it was a good performance and you can only beat what's in front.
But with Schmidt setting standards and expectations it was an ok performance and has a lot of room for improvement. We know we have more gears

I thought Ireland looked pretty polished for what is a coming in from the cold first up hit up.
Scotland are no slouches defensively and Ireland looked too good all game, even when the score was tight.
They had some intensity but to be fair it wasn't required as much as one might have expected.
Scotland looked rusty and they will get better but this irish outfit is starting to show the only aspect missing from their impressive armoury in recent times, self belief.
Keep an eye on this Irish team, they could sucker punch the whole shebang because they have the talent and the passion.
Maintaining the belief is gonna be critical but there's nothing like winning to keep that sentiment warm in the squad.

for the next scott johnston please do not pick ross ford in the line-up clearly cant throw it in and ryan wilson not to jump i think that was one off the reason we lost the match

Pretty disappointing, but not at all surprising. Some of the team selections are baffling (having three 8s on the pitch at the end, through choice, despite our inability to win the ball), but I don't really think Johnson's holding this team back particularly. Even if the 'best' Scotland team could be found, it'd still be behind England, France, Ireland, and Wales by a significant margin. Still, at least Hogg gives us some moments of excitement!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EH1G4EwljM

no way we can still beat italy even though campagnaro surprised us all. i didn't see why Kelly Brown was subbed off and how ross ford should have been subbed off much quicker

What about Maitland's injury?

Haven't heard anything yet. Didn't look good, and I'd be surprised if he's able to play next week. He's a very good player, and works well with Hogg, so it is a blow, but he shouldn't really be playing for us anyway...
Hopefully Fife gets in over Evans.

Haven't heard anything yet. Didn't look good, and I'd be surprised if he's able to play next week. He's a very good player, and works well with Hogg, so it is a blow, but he shouldn't really be playing for us anyway...
Hopefully Fife gets in over Evans.
i wouldn't mind seeing seymour in the team he can be a danger for the opponents

and abouts maitland's injury its an ankle injury so i think hes out for the rest off the six nations

but he shouldn't really be playing for us anyway...

scottish gran-parents but we should be thankful we have a player like him

Last edited by a moderator:
i wouldn't mind seeing seymour in the team he can be a danger for the opponents

Isn't he injured?

and abouts maitland's injury its an ankle injury so i think hes out for the rest off the six nations

scottish gran-parents but we should be thankful we have a player like him

My bad for starting that debate. I agree he's a good player, just uncomfortable for the debate. Agree to disagree for the sake of the thread?

Not being stingy just hard to gauge it. Like it was a good performance and you can only beat what's in front.
But with Schmidt setting standards and expectations it was an ok performance and has a lot of room for improvement. We know we have more gears

You're not going to start playing brilliantly under him after four games at the start of the 6N window. You're not. The expectation level needs to be toned down. To stretch the gears analogy - you're still building the engine and you've only just put your foot on the accelerator.

Apparently that was Scotland's heaviest 6N defeat since 2007, to put things into a little perspective.

god our fans are demanding

good performance overall, worked hard played the game did what was asked nothing spectacular

but overall im happy
nice to see the pack be physical without sob/poc

Hook-"I don't think most people would have picked Jackson as number 2"

FFS.

Hook is a clown.

If the best he can gurn about is one man on the bench, who was 6 inches from a pretty decent cross-kick to a try... then you know Ireland haven't done too bad...

Ireland vs Scotland Highlights

Last edited by a moderator:
You're not going to start playing brilliantly under him after four games at the start of the 6N window. You're not. The expectation level needs to be toned down. To stretch the gears analogy - you're still building the engine and you've only just put your foot on the accelerator.

Apparently that was Scotland's heaviest 6N defeat since 2007, to put things into a little perspective.

Agreed with that but just though we seemed below expectations even at this early days. Nothing to do with Schmidt or selections just something was lacking but agree we will probably step it up as games come and Ireland generally do up their game the better the opposition

by the way, Irishmen on here:

I noticed quite a few Irish players would not sing the anthem, it seemed with determination or at least a noticeable demeanor like it meant something...something to do with divisions ? the anthem symbolizes something they refuse to submit to...what was that ? or am I reading into it too much..
just curious.

Latest posts