• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2013 TRC] Australia vs. South Africa in Brisbane (07/09/2013)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
TRC.png

Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane (07/09/2013, 12:00 GMT)

Australia.png
Versus%20Rugby%20Championship.png
South%20Africa.png

Let's get this going!!

I'll wait till Wednesday for team announcements (though McKenzie seems to like taking his sweet time to have it released from his side). That said rumors have it that Le Roux will play at wing (Basson dropping out) with Lambie at fullback and with Bismarck and Coenie starting ahead of Adriaan and Jannie. All good moves IMO everything considered.

I think we are going to be up for it and dominate the early exchanges (making that count on the scoreboard will be the key) because I think we are going to be riding a bit of a backlash after a disappointing performance in Mendoza (not as if the convicts don't have anything to prove themselves mind you). I would be surprised though if we didn't fade at the end though and I hope we can take an early advantage. If Aus get some early points I can't see us winning TBH. If we manage to win this one I can see us crash and burn the following week in NZ because we just are like that; play on emotion rather than have that consistency- damn that 1/4 French heritage!

I'll wait till Wednesday for team announcements (though McKenzie seems to like taking his sweet time to have it released from his side). That said rumors have it that Le Roux will play at wing (Basson dropping out) with Lambie at fullback and with Bismarck and Coenie starting ahead of Adriaan and Jannie. All good moves IMO everything considered.

I think we are going to be up for it and dominate the early exchanges (making that count on the scoreboard will be the key) because I think we are going to be riding a bit of a backlash after a disappointing performance in Mendoza (not as if the convicts don't have anything to prove themselves mind you). I would be surprised though if we didn't fade at the end though and I hope we can take an early advantage. If Aus get some early points I can't see us winning TBH. If we manage to win this one I can see us crash and burn the following week in NZ because we just are like that; play on emotion rather than have that consistency- damn that 1/4 French heritage!

Well HM has announced that all the French-based players have arrived in Brisbane, and all are fit and available to play Saturday. I like the Willie to wing and Lambie to FullBack move. Basson hasn't been as potent as I was expecting him to be, with that said, he hasn't been looking for work as he should've and his chasing has been a bit off. Bismarck and Coenie adds 2 more fetchers to our starting team, which I think will help a lot more against the Aussie gameplan.

My worry is Zane Kirchner, he has been included in the squad, he could just be added to the 23 with both Willie and Pat in the starting 15...

damn that 1/4 French heritage!

that is never a good sentence to extend...not even as a joke.
Sarkozy-404_683977c.jpg

Also, and seriously on an unrelated note uhh...GO WALLABIES !! Show us what running Rugby is all about and put on a worthy show !!

The question here is, will the Springboks be able to scrummage the Wallabies off the park effectively enough to prevent the Wallabies running the Springboks off their feet? Well unfortunately for the Wallabies the referee is Alain Rolland, so no help there I'm afraid. Rolland is renowned for not tolerating any antics at scrum time. He will insist that the Aussie front row stay up and participate in a proper contest, and will punish them if they don't.

The Springbok pack is likely to look something like this; Beast, Strauss, Jannie du Plessis, Etzebeth, Kruger, Louw, Alberts & Vermeulen. If so, then its one I believe the All Blacks would struggle with, so I have no doubt that they will hand the Wallaby pack their arses,. Even when the subs come on, Bismarck Du Plessis, Steenkamp, Oosthuizen & van der Merwe, there will be no relief. If the Wallabies give away penalties in their own half, Steyn will punish them mercilessly.

Springboks by 10+

Last edited:
The question here is, will the Springboks be able to scrummage the Wallabies off the park effectively enough to prevent the Wallabies running the Springboks off their feet? Well unfortunately for the Wallabies the referee is Alain Rolland, so no help there I'm afraid. Rolland is renowned for not tolerating any antics at scrum time. He will insist that the Aussie front row stay up and participate in a proper contest, and will punish them if they don't.

The Springbok pack is likely to look something like this; Beast, Strauss, Jannie du Plessis, Etzebeth, Kruger, Louw, Alberts & Vermeulen. If so, then its one I believe the All Blacks would struggle with, so I have no doubt that they will hand the Wallaby pack their arses,. Even when the subs come on, Bismarck Du Plessis, Steenkamp, Oosthuizen & van der Merwe, there will be no relief. If the Wallabies give away penalties in their own half, Steyn will punish them mercilessly.

Springboks by 10+

News reports suggests that Bismarck and Coenie will start giving Jannie and Strauss some rest.

News reports suggests that Bismarck and Coenie will start giving Jannie and Strauss some rest.

OK, I didn't know that, but I don't think it will make much difference.

I'll go for South Africa in this one, by 10 or 15 points difference.

Really looking forward to this game. I havent seen enough of SA to have a very good insight into this game although I have seen enough of OZ to know that SA "should" really win. OZ are quite simply a poor side. As others have said above SA should dominate up front and that should flow through to the rest of the game (remember how much the ABs dominated at scrum time in the 2nd test!). There is no reason SA shouldn't enjoy a similar dominance. OZ backs are good enough but without quality ball they are largely rendered useless. Not to mention if they continue to kick all their ball away. If I were the OZ coach I would change tactics and run the ball. No doubt Steyn will give it to them a lot so why not use the thing? With Mogg, Folau, and O’Conner at the back (if that’s what they go with) they have three pretty good ball runners which could break the game open and that is where I see their only chance/advantage.

Again, as was said above, unless the SAs play poorly, OZ's need to put some points on the board early, knock some confidence out of SA, gain some momentum themselves, and get the crowd involved. As a Kiwi I hope they do cause SA lose here and I think the RC is ours already!

Call it patriotism or whatever BUT, I want the Springboks to hand aussie their asses on a silver platter simply because the entire country(Aus) felt that Robbie Deans was costing the Wallabies and hey to some extent they had a case. BUT the fact remains that, it is not easy coaching this Wallabies side and I want Mckenzie to learn that the very very hard way of losing most if not ALL of the Rugby Championship matches this year.

On a more unbiased note, I think the Wallabies could battle the Springboks in the breakdown. They outplayed us for 3/4's of the second test and thats where winning rugby starts.. It's a pity Aussie couldnt emulate that winning formula throughout the paddock. I know how intimidating and physical the South Africans are at the breakdown but I think this is the ONE area where Aus can get the upper hand..

But, South Africa stick to their gameplan and it works for them, they play territory and they play it very well. Aussie I dont feel CAN play territory and will be simply outmastered in this area which will leave Steyn to open up the flood gates with his precision kicking.

SA by 10pts

On a more unbiased note, I think the Wallabies could battle the Springboks in the breakdown. They outplayed us for 3/4's of the second test and thats where winning rugby starts..

Disagree with that one. What stats or whatever are you basing the comment on? I agree Hooper was the single best player at the breakdown (that' is not taking into consideration all the penalties he conceded though) but OZ overall? The stats I have, see NZ edging the Wallabies by 1 TO at the ruck and mall, but what is quite damming of the OZ breakdown play was a penalty count which stacked up way in NZs favour. OZ infringed 8 times at the ruck NZ only 4. Aside from stats my interpretation of the game was, in general, NZ outplayed the Ozzies in that facet of the game.

But, South Africa stick to their gameplan and it works for them, they play territory and they play it very well. Aussie I dont feel CAN play territory and will be simply outmastered in this area which will leave Steyn to open up the flood gates with his precision kicking.

SA by 10pts

Certainly agree with that, hence why I think OZ need to change their tactics a bit. Moggs kicking game was been poor to say the least agains the ABs. They kicked way too much from the back and wasted a lot of chances to put the ABs under pressure. Be sure Steyn will kick a lot of ball to the OZ back three so surely they will devise a plan to sue that ball... If not SA by 10points I would agree with too!!

Last edited:
LOL, Ok, I overexaggerated. I felt that the Aussies outplayed us at certain times throughout the match, but certainly not 3/4's of it. I mean, the first quarter, we were under immense pressure at the breakdown and I feel that was the reason they were up 6-0 and very very very unlucky for the referee not to TMO that try which would have changed the whole game.
But even at later stages throughout the match, I felt we weren't securing the rucks completely, and at times there were too many forwards standing off in the pods where the urgency was needed at the breakdown but you're right, we definitely were on top at the breakdowns I was wrong to suggest otherwise.. But, the aussies did show glimpses of great promise in that area.. And let's face it,.. we seal the ball off over and over again at the breakdowns where we are lucky to get away with it.. (And yes I know everyone does it, but I'm just saying)

LOL, Ok, I overexaggerated. I felt that the Aussies outplayed us at certain times throughout the match, but certainly not 3/4's of it. I mean, the first quarter, we were under immense pressure at the breakdown and I feel that was the reason they were up 6-0 and very very very unlucky for the referee not to TMO that try which would have changed the whole game.

Nope. Peyper was never going to the TMO because the grounding was irrelevant. He was happy that Moore was in an offside position beside the ruck (and ahead of Fardy's hindmost foot) when he picked up the ball.

See this post: http://www.therugbyforum.com/showth...n-(24-08-2013)&p=589518&viewfull=1#post589518

That offence ended the advantage they were on for the AB's earlier offside, so he went back to that.

But even at later stages throughout the match, I felt we weren't securing the rucks completely, and at times there were too many forwards standing off in the pods where the urgency was needed at the breakdown but you're right, we definitely were on top at the breakdowns I was wrong to suggest otherwise.. But, the aussies did show glimpses of great promise in that area.. And let's face it,.. we seal the ball off over and over again at the breakdowns where we are lucky to get away with it.. (And yes I know everyone does it, but I'm just saying)

Hooper spent a lot of time at the rucks well ahead of the hindmost foot, but was only ever penalised for it a couple of times. Its something that Rolland is less likely to miss.

Nope. Peyper was never going to the TMO because the grounding was irrelevant. He was happy that Moore was in an offside position beside the ruck (and ahead of Fardy's hindmost foot) when he picked up the ball.

See this post: http://www.therugbyforum.com/showth...n-(24-08-2013)&p=589518&viewfull=1#post589518

That offence ended the advantage they were on for the AB's earlier offside, so he went back to that.

Hooper spent a lot of time at the rucks well ahead of the hindmost foot, but was only ever penalised for it a couple of times. Its something that Rolland is less likely to miss.

Trust you to have that up your sleeve Smartcooky.. Lol,

Call it patriotism or whatever BUT, I want the Springboks to hand aussie their asses on a silver platter simply because the entire country(Aus) felt that Robbie Deans was costing the Wallabies and hey to some extent they had a case. BUT the fact remains that, it is not easy coaching this Wallabies side and I want Mckenzie to learn that the very very hard way of losing most if not ALL of the Rugby Championship matches this year.

I know what you mean, I have a few Aussie friends and I was getting pretty sick of them blaming Deans and his non selection of Cooper (not a fan of the booing, please stop, its embarrassing) as the Wallabies downfall. He was obviously such a massive scapegoat so its nice to see the reality set in and as I get the Fox coverage of the Wallaby games its doubly satisfying listening to the horror of the Aussie commentators after the huge pregame presentations claiming "This is our year!" and "Its time to bring the Bledisloe back." They might as well of played "Ding dong the wicked witch is dead" while showing footage of Deans getting kicked in the dick by a kangaroo.

I see this game being a forwards dominated territory/penalty fest which the 'boks will win with ease. Im looking forward to it though, the new scrum rules have added more interest to the scrums and I hope they come right.

Oh, I can only imagine the Aussie commentators.. Luckily for us with Sky Sports, we regularly get Jeremy Paul for pre-game talks and he is quite humble in his approach although it was great to rewind the game after we had toppled the Aussies in the first test and listen to his enthusiasm and then fast forward to the post-match talk with him and the mood was the exact opposite...

But on the Deans situation, the Aussies definitely used him as a scapegoat. I have no more love for Robbie Deans as I do for Ewen McKenzie but the fact that he has bore the brunt of the Aussie media over the last few years is a little victory in itself when the replacement cant seem to do much better. I mean, Deans did win the last ever Tri Nations. That has to stand for something. In a year when the All Blacks dominated and only lost one test, Deans' Wallabies drew with them. So that also has to stand for something..

Though I like what our Kiwi posters are saying I think they ignore one crucial point and that is we don't travel as well as them and Aus is a much more 'foreign' place to us than them. Still think (or is it hope?) we SHOULD win..

Pfft Digby Ioane is going to come in an...... Oh wait nevermind.

Springboks by 10+

Sorry for requoting, but I just need to inform you that George Clancy is the referee for the Bok-game and not Allain Rolland

EDIT: I could be wrong as different articles give different names. http://www.supersport.com/rugby/springboks/news/130903/Adapting_to_referee_the_Bok_key

Last edited:

Latest posts