• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2013 TRC] Australia vs. New Zealand in Sydney (17/08/2013)

Matt Toomua named at 10, Quade on the bench.

Interesting call by Link

Makes sense to me tbh Tomua ha been on better form and deserves the start more. Hanson's comments are bit ridiculous if you ask me Link made it clear that everybody would get a equal chance.

Liam Messam is out ue to injury and Luatua is in. Very excited about that.

This will be a great test for Luatua - will be an intense debut.

Big call naming Toomua. He has had a great season though. This game will be a real doozy, lots of players with things to prove.

I think Messum being out and bringing in Luatua will actually benifits the AB's as Luatua is a bit more physical where as Messum really shines whne he's got lots of space to run in.

I think Messum being out and bringing in Luatua will actually benifits the AB's as Luatua is a bit more physical where as Messum really shines whne he's got lots of space to run in.

And doesn't have to make it past the advantage line. My biggest problem with Messam is that he just always runs sideways or tries a step rather than just head down and leg drive.

And doesn't have to make it past the advantage line. My biggest problem with Messam is that he just always runs sideways or tries a step rather than just head down and leg drive.

He's able to get away with it in super rugby particular with the chief's expansive and lose game plan but I think it's part of why hes never really shone for the AB's.

The Wallabies side to play New Zealand in the opening Bledisloe Cup and Castrol EDGE Rugby Championship match at ANZ Stadium on Saturday 17 August is:

1. James Slipper (Queensland Reds)
2. Stephen Moore (ACT Brumbies)
3. Ben Alexander (ACT Brumbies)
4. Rob Simmons (Queensland Reds)
5. James Horwill (c – Queensland Reds)
6. Hugh McMeniman (Western Force)
7. Michael Hooper (NSW Waratahs)
8. Ben Mowen (ACT Brumbies)
9. Will Genia (vc – Queensland Reds)
10. Matt Toomua (ACT Brumbies)*
11. James O'Connor (Melbourne Rebels)
12. Christian Leali'ifano (ACT Brumbies)
13. Adam Ashley-Cooper (NSW Waratahs)
14. Israel Folau (NSW Waratahs)
15. Jesse Mogg (ACT Brumbies)

16. Saia Fainga'a (Queensland Reds)
17. Scott Sio (ACT Brumbies)*
18. Sekope Kepu (NSW Waratahs)
19. Scott Fardy (ACT Brumbies)*
20. Liam Gill (Queensland Reds)
21. Nic White (ACT Brumbies)*
22. Quade Cooper (Queensland Reds)
23. Tevita Kuridrani (ACT Brumbies)*

*uncapped

Regards

Last edited:
shame Messam is injured but the extra downtime may pay off in the long run he had a big workload in the super finals.

Massive chance for Luatua, different sort of player to Messam, obviously younger and bigger lots of energy on the field. Not as physical and maybe not as accurate as Messem is these days.

He should do well but man what a massive test to have your first start in?

What is the line-up of the AIG All Blacks?
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/rugby/news/article.cfm?c_id=80&objectid=10912477
All Blacks side
1 Tony Woodcock, 2 Andrew Hore, 3 Owen Franks, 4 Luke Romano, 5 Sam Whitelock, 6 Liam Messam, 7 Richie McCaw (c), 8 Kieran Read, 9 Aaron Smith, 10 Aaron Cruden, 11 Julian Savea, 12, Ma'a Nonu, 13, Conrad Smith, 14, Ben Smith, 15 Israel Dagg.
Reserves: 16 Keven Mealamu, 17 Ben Franks, 18, Charlie Faumuina, 19 Brodie Retallick, 20 Sam Cane, 21 Tawera Kerr-Barlow, 22 Beauden Barrett, 23 Ryan Crotty.
There ya go.

ABs have some front liners missing but I look at the wallabies side and I cant see it being a serious threat. Maybe it will mean they will be more dangerous?

Seems to have happened fairly quietly but Timani has been a huge loss IMO. how often has he been one of if not the best wallabie player in games against the AB's in recent history? Also dont understand why Ben Robinson is got and Ben Alexander is in? I can't help but wonder if the got the Bens mixed up and dropped the wrong one?

Wallabies will surely use some crazy rushing defense and attack the AB's at and around the rucks and get away with everything they can to slow the AB's down. Else I can see the AB back 3 having a field day with clean ball.

I'm going to stick my neck out and say we are going to win this one. Nothing more than a gut feeling, I could be totally wrong though.

I'm going to stick my neck out and say we are going to win this one. Nothing more than a gut feeling, I could be totally wrong though.

you most certainly could, but I hope you're not (wrong). Dat AB squad looks like it could do some srs damage...
read smt interesting in the 'planetrugby' article for this match: only 3 guys still there for Australia from that last 18-18 draw last year.

Latest posts