• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2013 TRC] Australia vs. New Zealand in Sydney (17/08/2013)

Folau looking forward to facing 'real' Haka

Wallabies star Israel Folau is excited ahead of his first ever Bledisloe Cup clash this Saturday night in Sydney comparing playing against the All Blacks to league's State of Origin.

He says he is also looking forward to facing the 'real' Haka. Folau, who has been a sensation for NSW and the Wallabies in his first year in Rugby, played five State of Origin games for Queensland from 2008-2010, although he was born in Minto in NSW.

"I look at the Bledisloe as similar to Origin", Folau told leading Rugby scribe Bret Harris of The Australian. "It is the ultimate. It doesn't get any bigger than playing against the All Blacks." "They are the top team in the world. Once they pull that All Black jersey on they grow another leg.

"It is similar to playing Origin. When the boys put that maroon jersey on the passion comes out and you want to play for that jersey." 24-year-old Folau, has also played for Australia against New Zealand in rugby league, but he said he was keen to face up to the "real" haka, as performed by the All Blacks.

"I enjoy watching the haka," Folau said. "It will be a lot different standing there in the line facing them. "I've faced the league haka, but the real one is obviously the All Blacks."

Folau grew up watching the All Blacks and has recently become friends with one of his boyhood heroes, legendary New Zealand winger Jonah Lomu. "I met him a couple of years ago through a friend," Folau said. "I keep in contact with Jonah. If he is in Sydney, he always visits.

"He has been very supportive since my transition from AFL to rugby. He doesn't like talking about rugby too much. He just says go out and play to your instincts. "He was the perfect example of playing to your instincts."

Folau, who was recently crowned Rookie of the Year in his first season of Super Rugby says he is enjoying playing Rugby more than he had anticipated. "The main thing is I'm actually enjoying playing the game," Folau said.

"That's the main attraction. Every other thing is on the side. Travelling and playing around the world in different countries is a big bonus. That's another thing I enjoy. "I didn't think I would enjoy it as much as I did. With Michael (Cheika) coaching the (Waratahs) and the style of rugby we wanted to play, it suited me.

"I like running with the ball and attacking. We played a bit like that in the Lions series. Hopefully, we can do that in the (Rugby) Championship. "The way Ewen (McKenzie) has addressed the team and the way we have been training it looks like we are heading that way.

"We have the players in the team to play that style of rugby. If we can get our combinations and partnerships going, we can get confidence out of that." Folau has not been given any indication by new Wallabies coach Ewen McKenzie of where he might play but is happy to play fullback or wing against the All Blacks.

"I haven't spoken to the coaching staff about that," Folau said. "I've been training on the wing and fullback." The Tahs star doesn't mind where he fits in as long as he gets to face up to that famous black jersey and stare down the intimidating haka.

http://www.rugby.com.au/wallabies/News/NewsArticle/tabid/1516/ArticleID/10012/Default.aspx

Rugby League Haka:

Last edited by a moderator:
Rugby Union Haka:

Last edited by a moderator:
The Haka would be special if it wasn't overused the way it is now.

They use it with every test (unlike before when it was only used for games overseas), NZ club teams use it when they win a championship, even some NZ players use it in Europe when playing for their club team.

It's getting a bit old because of all this. They shouls just stick to doing the Haka for All Black test matches overseas.

They use it with every test (unlike before when it was only used for games overseas), NZ club teams use it when they win a championship, even some NZ players use it in Europe when playing for their club team.

It's getting a bit old because of all this. They shouls just stick to doing the Haka for All Black test matches overseas.

ah great!! Next thing we'll see is a thread to ban the haka!!

<insert sarcasm font>

Keep it! It's not only a great spectacle but a Maori tradition they should allowed to conduct.

I bleed Green and Gold and don't want to see it gone. It gets the crowd into it creates an awesome atmosphere.

Keep it! It's not only a great spectacle but a Maori tradition they should allowed to conduct.

I bleed Green and Gold and don't want to see it gone. It gets the crowd into it creates an awesome atmosphere.

If anything needs to change its that Aussie sports play in green and gold (dirty yellow to be more accurate)! There is only one Green and Gold. Stop pretending!

I am not saying to stop using it, they should just do it moderately. Use it for the games you play overseas, to promote the Maori culture.

If anything needs to change its that Aussie sports play in green and gold (dirty yellow to be more accurate)! There is only one Green and Gold. Stop pretending!

Nice to see an Aussie is a Boks fan. If anything, Australia plays in Gold & Green, not Green & Gold.

I am not saying to stop using it, they should just do it moderately. Use it for the games you play overseas, to promote the Maori culture.

Nice to see an Aussie is a Boks fan. If anything, Australia plays in Gold & Green, not Green & Gold.

More like Puke-yellow with a tinge of green...

The Australian rugby league team plays in Green and Yellow, but rugby union is just yellow with some green

Good point. Now for the big games, for example against Australia or South Africa, ABs do the "Kapa o Pango" (More violent and intimidating haka) and for the small games, for example against Japan and Tonga, ABs do the: "Ka Mate" (Traditional haka). But it's interesting what you say, could be applied. What they do now is good because I was bored of the: "Ka Mate" in all games.

Regards

Good point. Now for the big games, for example against Australia or South Africa, ABs do the "Kapa o Pango" (More violent and intimidating haka) and for the small games, for example against Japan and Tonga, ABs do the: "Ka Mate" (Traditional haka). But it's interesting what you say, could be applied. What they do now is good because I was bored of the: "Ka Mate" in all games.

Regards

But then that gets into suggesting that one nation is more important than another and isn't fair on smaller nations.

not what I drink that is the problem, it's what I eat...

Casper De Vries would call their shirts Borrie-groen

I must say that's funny s***! Fox Sports reckon "it's on for Green and Gold" so ill go with that.

I don't think Carter being out will hurt them too much. Infact after seeing Crudens goal kicking in the SuperRugby final I reckon they'll be more inclined to run it or maul it over. 7 points is better than 3.

But then that gets into suggesting that one nation is more important than another and isn't fair on smaller nations.

But South Africa has a much better chance of beating NZ that Tonga eg, right?

To play against strong teams requires more concentration and motivation. Let's be honest.

Regards

kinda interesting.

Coles and Perenara have been released to play for wellington.

Kinda a shame really, thought maybe that coles had even overtaken Mealamu at least. He was pretty good up till injured against the french.

less of a suprise for Perenara but still a shame, I actually think he has the most potential of the 3 young halfbacks we have.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/provincial/9039686/Coles-left-out-of-All-Blacks-team

Go the Springboks!

flag-boxing-kangaroo.jpg

Latest posts