• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2013 TRC] Australia vs. New Zealand in Sydney (17/08/2013)

TRF_Ezequiel

Kanko Krazy!!!
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Netherlands
Club or Nation
Sharks
TRC.png

ANZ Stadium, Sydney (17/08/2013, 11:00 GMT)
Australia.png
Versus%20Rugby%20Championship.png
New%20Zealand.png

Referee: Craig Joubert
23px-Flag_of_South_Africa.svg.png

Assistants: Jaco Peyer
& Lourens van der Merwe

Television match official: Shaun Veldsman

not even a week away....can't wait. It's funny how we're just never too sure of how things will turn out that first week of a tournament. National sides have been dismantled for so long, each player resuming his domestic league schedule...
We really do need that first weekend to start actual assessment of the sides.

And though NZ hasn't lost since Twickenham, they haven't played away since then either.

So is Cooper in ? - I remember reading a full article about him returning but forgot if it was granted or just still up in hypothesis.

Teams announced in a couple of days or so ?..

EDIT: yeah ok he's in (Cooper). So the Aussies have a Michalak situation on their hands there. Live or die by Cooper at the transition there handling the attack...good luck Aussies.

Last edited:
Canterbury and Crusaders midfielder Ryan Crotty has been called into the All Blacks squad as injury cover. It comes after midfielder Francis Saili suffered a strain to his left ankle in the All Blacks' training match on Friday.

going to be interesting, you think the Aussies really need to win this one to get off well with a new coach but them Robbie Deans beat the All Blacks in his first try and we all know who that helped him. :p

Ewen has the clean slate, the unexpected factor which will be in his favor. Also with no Aussie teams in the super final he has had more time with his players. So I see this as kinda a very similar situation to Deans first test back in 2008.

As always in this tournament the home advantage is great but you also have the most to lose. One away win can be enough to win the whole championship and one home loss can be enough to rule you out as a contender so with home advantage comes pressure to win as well.

really need to see the teams before going into any predictions on how the game may turn out.

At this stage if Nonu and Saili are injured we may very well see Cruden at 10 and Carter at 12

I heard rumors that Scott Sio could start the game, anyone know anything about that?

130812053238540762.jpg

Last edited:
Going to be an interesting match, I am lookin' foward to see how Wallabies develop with their new coach.

And of course, always nice to see AB's on the field :p

I heard rumors that Scott Sio could start the game, anyone know anything about that?

130812053238540762.jpg

Sio should start the Wallabies need to sort out their scrum issues ans slipper on the other side with that they shouldn't come under to much pressure.

really excited to see the Wallabies under McKenzie I doubt they'll be able to beat the AB's this year but you never know.

I'm picking the All Blacks to win. Richie Mccaw is back, the players all had a decent rest. With this being Ewen Mckenzie's first game at the helm, I think the Aussies won't be as competitive as we think. New management, and gameplan will not work the first time playing.

I am kinda nervous for this game, I think the Aussie's will make it tough. Yes it's Ewen first game as coach, but these are professional players who will be hurting from losing to the lions and Ewen is a smart coach. He has proven that he can beat NZ teams (yes in super rugby). But in saying that I am picking the AB's to win.

first test of the year is always hard to pick, if deans was still coach i would pick the all blacks who last month looked like they could have beaten the lions or wallabies IMO for sure. but with a new coach comes that element of surprise. Ewen and the team will feel very confident and will rely on that element after all it worked for deans in his first test.

should be a good game, wallabies could cause an upset but it is their home game after all. they could also fall flat on their faces. lets not forget this is a very good all blacks side that will not only expect to win but they will be planning Ewens downfall as a coach and will be desperate to get him on the back foot straight away no doubt about it.

I think the Wallabies will beat us. McKenzie's teams always seemed to do well against NZ Super sides so I think he will have a better idea of how to beat us than Deans ever did. Add that to the fact they're at home and it is his first game so there will be no complacency in the ranks.

I'm picking a win for the Wallabies. Even Dingo won his first game at home against the ABs.

Though, obviously, hope I'm terribly wrong.

Carter out injured for 3-4 weeks

just hope cruden has worked on his goal kicking it has been a bit rusty.

Does suck for carter though im pretty sure he's close to 100 tests

Jesus christ DC and his injuries are too commonplace nowadays. I guess my prediction is sounding more realistic.

Ben Smith at first five...problem....solved

first Ben Smith Reference there

O'Connor looks forward to giving up No.10 spot

James O'Connor says he is happy to say goodbye to the Test No. 10 jersey and return to the positions that made him an indispensable part of the Wallabies for the past four years. The 37-Test utility, who endured a difficult three-Test experiment at five-eighth for the Wallabies against the British and Irish Lions last month, did not rule out playing No. 10 again but has been told by new coach Ewen McKenzie that his immediate future lies in reacquainting himself with the back three positions of wing and fullback.

O'Connor said he was looking forward to a less structured return to the Wallabies back line if he is named in the team to play the All Blacks in Sydney on Saturday. ''[We] spoke about where [McKenzie] thinks I can best benefit the team, coming into the line, injecting myself, just being able to roam around, not being stuck having to control the team,'' he said.

There are no guarantees O'Connor will run out as part of the starting 15 at ANZ Stadium. ''You saw that with [prop] Benny Robinson, he's been an automatic selection for as long as I've been a part of it, so there's no expectation,'' O'Connor said. ''No one is safe, that's what everyone's been talking about. At training, if you're not 'on' one day that could count against you.''

McKenzie said he saw a medium term future for O'Connor at inside centre, where the versatile 23-year-old has some experience, and had by no means ruled out using him at five-eighth.
But with wing or fullback his most immediate opportunities, O'Connor faces stiff competition; Joe Tomane, Israel Folau and Nick Cummins are impressing on the wing and Jesse Mogg and Folau are in good form at fullback.

''Since I've been back in camp I've trained my guts out and shown what I can do,'' O'Connor said of the uncertainty. ''It's hard to put a [probability] on it because we haven't really trained as a back line or starting team yet … But I think I've trained pretty well.''

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rug...p-no10-spot-20130812-2rsgt.html#ixzz2bo9aLnIu

I think the Wallabies will beat us. McKenzie's teams always seemed to do well against NZ Super sides so I think he will have a better idea of how to beat us than Deans ever did. Add that to the fact they're at home and it is his first game so there will be no complacency in the ranks.

The element of surprise can be a lethal weapon. McKenzie knows as the Hansen's team plays but Hansen doesn't know how the McKenzie's Team will play, they can see the videos of the 3 tests against France, while Wallabies is dangerously unpredictable. This can be very good or very bad.

Regards

JOC is best suited to back three. He was electric in 2010, he could easily improve far beyond that.
Fullbacks aren't like they used to, they can easily hit the line early if needed. Likewise, wings aren't limited to the far flanks. Shane Williams often was used outside the standoff or first five in some space. Put Folau alongside him and leave the other wing spot open. Not fully sure who should get it. Mogg isn't really a wing, while I haven't seen anything really notable from Tomane. Cummins has improved a great deal, but I think there will be wings with a greater skillset coming up. I might go with him for now, though. Betham and Speight must be considered down the line, both great finishers, and they should be able to hit the next level when it comes to international rugby.

Latest posts