• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2010 All Blacks Tri Nations Squad

William18

First XV
Country Flag
New Zealand
All Blacks squad

Forwards: John Afoa Auckland (23 Test caps), Anthony Boric North Harbour (15), Tom Donnelly Otago (7), Corey Flynn Canterbury (7), Ben Franks Tasman (2), Owen Franks Canterbury (12), Jerome Kaino Auckland (27), Richie McCaw (capt) Canterbury (83), Keven Mealamu Auckland (74), Liam Messam Waikato (3), Kieran Read Canterbury (19), Brad Thorn Canterbury (40) , Victor Vito Wellington (2), Samuel Whitelock Canterbury (3), Tony Woodcock North Harbour (63).

Backs: Daniel Carter Canterbury (69), Jimmy Cowan Southland (36), Aaron Cruden Manawatu (3), Israel Dagg Hawke's Bay (2), Cory Jane Wellington (15), Richard Kahui Waikato (10), Mils Muliaina Waikato (83), Ma'a Nonu Wellington (46), Rene Ranger Northland (1), Joe Rokocoko Auckland (62), Conrad Smith Wellington (35), Benson Stanley Auckland (3), Piri Weepu Wellington (38).

Gear misses out as does Thomson, Guliford, de Malmanche and Tialata.

Last edited:
All Blacks squad

Forwards: John Afoa Auckland (23 Test caps), Anthony Boric North Harbour (15), Tom Donnelly Otago (7), Corey Flynn Canterbury (7), Ben Franks Tasman (2), Owen Franks Canterbury (12), Jerome Kaino Auckland (27), Richie McCaw (capt) Canterbury (83), Keven Mealamu Auckland (74), Liam Messam Waikato (3), Kieran Read Canterbury (19), Brad Thorn Canterbury (40) , Victor Vito Wellington (2), Samuel Whitelock Canterbury (3), Tony Woodcock North Harbour (63).

Backs: Daniel Carter Canterbury (69), Jimmy Cowan Southland (36), Aaron Cruden Manawatu (3), Israel Dagg Hawke's Bay (2), Cory Jane Wellington (15), Richard Kahui Waikato (10), Mils Muliaina Waikato (83), Ma'a Nonu Wellington (46), Rene Ranger Northland (1), Joe Rokocoko Auckland (62), Conrad Smith Wellington (35), Benson Stanley Auckland (3), Piri Weepu Wellington (38).

Gear misses out as does Thomson, Guliford, de Malmanche and Tialata.

A few surprises there.

Flynn comes in for de Malmance which is no surprise. Afoa replacing Tialata is a slight surprise, however Tialata did struggle a bit last night. Messem coming in for Thomson is a huge surprise - I thought Messem was pretty average in the first few games of the Maori series. I think Messem and Thomson are both similar players, however I would have preferred Thomsons better lineout skills.

Really surprised to see Stanley still there- he's a solid player but really isn't in the same class as MacAlister. Its disappointing to see both Gear and Guildford miss out - Gear was outstanding for the Maori, while Guildford had a really good game for the AB's last night. I would have selected either of them over Rococoko. Ranger appears to have been selected as a wing (as they have 4 other centres in the squad), which is the position he is best suited to at the moment - He's certainly not the finished product yet, but he has a lot of potential.

Without Gear or Mcalister I see no X-factor in this team, bar Jane and Carter, I mean sure Ranger can break tackles but he is inconsistant and in the Welsh game blew up a try which any fool could have setup by playing the percentages as any good coach would tell you to do.

No Hosea? that's rubbish! True Ireland and England are no SA or Aus but you'd think he'd get rewarded with his hot form at the mo. Would have been better to drop Kaino, whose out of form since the S14 and keep Thomson :(

Terrible decisions IMO. No Gear? I would have LOVED to see him there, but I can see how he misses out (heaps of wing talent). McAlister however, is just puzzling. I think he's been in-form and a definite pick over Stanley. Afoa has been mediocre at best.

Bad, bad, bad. :(

I've been a Henry supporter, but man did he (and the other selectors) make a fumble of it by omitting Luke and Hosea.

I will not be surprised to see we don't make many line-breaks or score many tries in this tri-nations.

Yeah, no Hosea Gear is just a joke. What does the man have to do to get a spot in the AB's? Poor squad by Henry, seriously a poor Tri Nations squad and I hope we lose because of it, supported Henry up untill this point.

It certainly is a statement that Henry will not pick Hosea Gear and he has no realistic chance of making the All Blacks for the world cup.

No Gear and McLister? Stanley was poor during June Tests.

Meh, i pretty much predicted this would happen, Nonu and Gear would be awesome also Luke, but oh wel.

Yeah, this is annoying me a bit, I like Graham Henry, but really? I can see why a bit about Hosea Gear, he needs to come into the line a bit more rather than hanging on the wing, and he is terrible under the high ball, but he is dynamic and links well with Jane. But for the life of me, I don't understand why he chose Benston Stanley over Mcalister, I mean sure, Stanley was solid, but nothing special, nothing at all. Mcalister set up a lot of tries for the maoris and is looking like he is back to his best.

Stanley was chosen over McAlister by Pat Lam as well. I personally happy to see him miss out. I think he's had the support of the 3 wise monkeys for too long now. Exactly how many quality games has he played this year? He was Ok for the Maori against England but he still threw the intercept the cost em 7 points. He's done absolutely nothing else all year.

Messam's an instinctive player, Henry needs to give him licence to do his thing. Messam can be the best number 8 since ZinzanBrooke. He's definitely improved on the other aspects of his game that he was lacking. He deserves a chance, especially at 8. But boy am i happy to see Ranger in man. That guys magic when he's on form. He just needs the experience and coaching to improve areas of his game where his missing, like linking up(he almost never passes, though why would you when you can beat players like they're playing touch with you?) or abit of defence. BUT WHY, WHY IS HOSEA NOT IN?????? He's playing better than Rococoko or Guilford! He's on fire! Imagine a backline with DC, Kahui, Ranger, Gear, Jane, Dagg at fullback, and messam linking in to provide options for breaking the line, hell, the whole backline are linebreakers, the Boks would be scrambling around like cockroaches trying to tackling thin air. DC would feel like a kid in a candy store, many many options to give the ball to. Or he could fake all of em and go himself? hahaha. And not to mention, Sonny Bill wants a black jersey. Most exciting backline in AllBlacks history if this happens.

Messam's an instinctive player, Henry needs to give him licence to do his thing. Messam can be the best number 8 since ZinzanBrooke. He's definitely improved on the other aspects of his game that he was lacking. He deserves a chance, especially at 8. But boy am i happy to see Ranger in man. That guys magic when he's on form. He just needs the experience and coaching to improve areas of his game where his missing, like linking up(he almost never passes, though why would you when you can beat players like they're playing touch with you?) or abit of defence. BUT WHY, WHY IS HOSEA NOT IN?????? He's playing better than Rococoko or Guilford! He's on fire! Imagine a backline with DC, Kahui, Ranger, Gear, Jane, Dagg at fullback, and messam linking in to provide options for breaking the line, hell, the whole backline are linebreakers, the Boks would be scrambling around like cockroaches trying to tackling thin air. DC would feel like a kid in a candy store, many many options to give the ball to. Or he could fake all of em and go himself? hahaha. And not to mention, Sonny Bill wants a black jersey. Most exciting backline in AllBlacks history if this happens.

Conrad Smith is the best centre in NZ, maybe the world. Yes Kahui has had one good game from the bench, and one alright game. Smith has been the most consistant great player for the last two seasons, and provides much more than both Kahui and Ranger, as a play maker. I don't understand why people leave him out. I'd also say Nonu is the best 2nd 5 in NZ for obviously the last two years. NZ fans seem pretty fickle.

Messam is a player who is only good when the game is in the loose. Despite what Henry's reason for replacing Thompson, Messam is useless in the ruck and offers little grunt. Yes he can run, but Vito can run faster and stronger and offer more in the line out and rucks. There is no reason he should be in the squad over Adam Thompson, Scott Waldrom, Latimer etc.

Stanley has looked solid, but in honesty he doesn't look world class. He has made plenty of mistakes in an AB jersey, like kicking to Wales when there were a four players in support for a good counter attack, knocked the ball on and touched the ball with his foot and let it bounce into touch. The quality of a player like Stanley is that he is a reliable player, and so far he hasn't proved that he is.

Yes Hosea Gear should be in, I've said that for two years now. Your remarks about the boks scrambling like cocroaches would be unlikely, especially consider if you add a team of finishes, with no play makers other than Carter, how can you expect tries to be created? You need a balance of finishing power, and a creative play maker, something which playing Kahui out of position at 2nd 5, Ranger (a talented but the most selfish player ever) would not provide. Infact I doubt that Jane or Gear would ever see the ball.

Haha. Agreed2. I just love my rugby, exciting-keep-you-off-your-seat style. I guess the reason many AB fans forget about Smith is because maybe many have the same sentiments as me about how we want our Blacks to play? Smith is more all-rounded compared to Ranger or Kahui,agreed. But i absolutely love outrageous players, like Ranger or Messam, so i hope you understand why i posted what i posted. Yeah Vito is the **** too! Him and Messam would be lethal. Ranger just needs to learn how to pass, Gear and Jane would be bagging tries every match. Nonu, abit old school and direct don't you think? Anw, yeah i appreciate your comment mate! I agreed about the Stanley part and the last part. =]

Haha. Agreed2. I just love my rugby, exciting-keep-you-off-your-seat style. I guess the reason many AB fans forget about Smith is because maybe many have the same sentiments as me about how we want our Blacks to play? Smith is more all-rounded compared to Ranger or Kahui,agreed. But i absolutely love outrageous players, like Ranger or Messam, so i hope you understand why i posted what i posted. Yeah Vito is the **** too! Him and Messam would be lethal. Ranger just needs to learn how to pass, Gear and Jane would be bagging tries every match. Nonu, abit old school and direct don't you think? Anw, yeah i appreciate your comment mate! I agreed about the Stanley part and the last part. =]

Your opinion is fair enough. Although being "outrageous" may be all well and good against Wales and Ireland it is not going to win us a world cup. Conrad Smith's consistency might.

Conrad Smith, he is more than ''consistant''. Consistant is Benson Stanley, consistant is getting the passing right, consistant is knowing when to tackle or take the contact, what Conrad Smith is, is completely bloody more. One of the most underrated players in world rugby, because you don't see him making these massive bump offs that you claim to ''love to see'', he is an unusual player, he doesn't step to find space, he doesn't bulldoze through to find space, he isn't even that quick and at times you scratch your head thinking, how on earth did he even manage to do that, and that is why they call him ''snake''.

I am u-turned now, I thought Kaino was the best blindside in the country, but I quite clearly see now that Vito is a monstrous force in the All Blacks team, this loose trio will be a handful for the Boks and I think they have finally found the right balance of power and pace in Vito, the wits and leadership in Mccaw and the skill and tactical awareness in Read.

Nonu is also, again, underrated, you could see how much New Zealand missed him, those times where you can't go forward and just running into a brick wall of (Welsh defence), you need that big guy just to give the ball to to give you some metres gained, so you can get on the front foot, I don't think some players know how crucial that is, being on the front foot and not having to have your forwards run backwards from the last ruck to hit the next one, losing momentum.

Just my opinion on the All Blacks centres and loosies.

Yeah pity McCalister and Gear are not in the squad, maybe Henry will change his mind after the first game.
Would be really sweet if Sonny Bill gets a chance this Tri - nations, altho I think it will be for next year.

Latest posts