• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

What TV Show's are you watching/looking forward to?

Maverick cops gets **** done, despite an obstructive boss, whilst dealing marital / ex-marital problems at home.
How original

(and yes, I am being deliberately antagonistic and over-simplistic there)

Maverick cops gets **** done, despite an obstructive boss, whilst dealing marital / ex-marital problems at home.
How original

(and yes, I am being deliberately antagonistic and over-simplistic there)
Look, I'll put this down to you having a senior moment, my old friend.

No one judges the Mona Lisa by looking at one corner.

Only joking of course, but you really do have to look at the whole body of work over the seasons to to really get the genius of David Simon (in my opinion you can't go wrong with any of his work whether it be Generation Kill, Treme, The Deuce, Plot against America and others) it but having said that if it's not your thing you probably won't like it but give it the season and see where you land. Season 2 seems to be most people's least favourite but I think it's underrated

Look, I'll put this down to you having a senior moment, my old friend.

No one judges the Mona Lisa by looking at one corner.

Only joking of course, but you really do have to look at the whole body of work over the seasons to to really get the genius of David Simon
Please note the hidden text you managed to quote ;)

However, I'm also not enjoying it. So the question is, how long do I persevere before calling it quits (if still not enjoying it).
It feels fair to give it the whole of the first season, and if it's still not doing it for me, to bail at that point - but if that's where it starts getting good, then I might be missing out on an all-time great. If Season 1 is average or better, and it's not doing it for me, then there's no point continuing. Not everything is for everyone.

But yeah, watching for the first time 20 years later, the first half of the first season... it hasn't shown me anything I haven't seen before - even though it's not my genre.
You say S02 is the least popular - so yeah, if I still feel this way when I finish S01 - probably time to quit.

Please note the hidden text you managed to quote ;)

However, I'm also not enjoying it. So the question is, how long do I persevere before calling it quits (if still not enjoying it).
It feels fair to give it the whole of the first season, and if it's still not doing it for me, to bail at that point - but if that's where it starts getting good, then I might be missing out on an all-time great. If Season 1 is average or better, and it's not doing it for me, then there's no point continuing. Not everything is for everyone.

But yeah, watching for the first time 20 years later, the first half of the first season... it hasn't shown me anything I haven't seen before - even though it's not my genre.
You say S02 is the least popular - so yeah, if I still feel this way when I finish S01 - probably time to quit.
I would say seeing as it's not your genre I would probably bail now.

Do you like army stuff? If so, maybe try generation kill to give you a feel for David Simon and if you like that you could go back to the wire but you might not like his style of story telling as well as the subject matter in which case I will despair and put you on ignore.

I would say seeing as it's not your genre I would probably bail now.

Do you like army stuff? If so, maybe try generation kill to give you a feel for David Simon and if you like that you could go back to the wire but you might not like his style of story telling as well as the subject matter in which case I will despair and put you on ignore.
Seems fair

Yeh that is what I will probably do. Original Frasier was the best American comedy for me. It really set the gold standard. There was only 1 or 2 ok seasons for me when they brought in Daphne's family in. Didn't even make any sense given none of them spoke with the same accent as Daphne who was supposed to be from Manchester.

I suppose to appeal to the American audience who don't know any better. But we don't all speak cockney accents or posh King's English. 🤔
I think most Americans know that you don't all speak with cockney or posh King's English accents. I surely do and I'm an average American. We have lots of different accents over here too. *I saw this review of the new Frasier reboot and thought I'd share it.

Last edited:
I think most Americans know that you don't all speak with cockney or posh King's English accents. I surely do and I'm an average American. We have lots of different accents over here too. *I saw this review of the new Frasier reboot and thought I'd share it.
Aren't you from San Diego? Considered a West coast liberal elite?

Nah I am referring to Americans from the mid west who never step foot outside America and don't have a passport.

I remember from my trips to America and speaking to Americans who complimented on my accent and asking "so you're Australian?" Lol. Or on the bus the trip on the strip in Vegas, another lady who complimented me on my "British accent" and when I said there are lots of different accents in England from Liverpudlian, Brummie, Geordie to this one woman and her son, she was totally clueless that there were.

One of my friends who went out there to sell books door to door post Uni for a summer job came across one person she was selling to when they asked where she was from were surprised she was from England because "I didn't know they spoke English in England." 🤦‍♂️

Aren't you from San Diego? Considered a West coast liberal elite?

Nah I am referring to Americans from the mid west who never step foot outside America and don't have a passport.

I remember from my trips to America and speaking to Americans who complimented on my accent and asking "so you're Australian?" Lol. Or on the bus the trip on the strip in Vegas, another lady who complimented me on my "British accent" and when I said there are lots of different accents in England from Liverpudlian, Brummie, Geordie to this one woman and her son, she was totally clueless that there were.

One of my friends who went out there to sell books door to door post Uni for a summer job came across one person she was selling to when they asked where she was from were surprised she was from England because "I didn't know they spoke English in England." 🤦‍♂️
Yes, I'm from San Diego. It's a big military town (Navy and Marine Corps), and not as liberal as the other large cities on the West Coast (Los Angeles, San Francisco, Portland and Seattle). My Dad was a career Marine and my Mom was a public school teacher. I'm independent with conservative values. But not the far right wacko stuff that the Trump/MAGA crowd believes in. They're the reason why I left the Republican party. Trump is scum, IMHO. And I'm definitely not elite. "I'm just an ordinary average guy" - verse from a Joe Walsh song.

I've been to the Midwest, but never lived there. It's known for farms, factories and large families. So most probably can't afford to travel overseas with all those hungry mouths to feed, etc. And sadly, geography isn't as popular a topic as it once was. When I was growing up I collected maps, read geography books and played sports outdoors. A lot of kids today are into video games and spend their free time indoors. I sound like an old man, but it's true.

Grampa Simpson Meme GIF by MOODMAN

Last edited:
Struggling through Andor at the moment,
Have read it gets better after episode 3 and I hope that's right because it boring as **** so far,
None of the characters are likeable or memorable, barely any storyline, just a big dreary load of nothing

Struggling through Andor at the moment,
Have read it gets better after episode 3 and I hope that's right because it boring as **** so far,
None of the characters are likeable or memorable, barely any storyline, just a big dreary load of nothing
Alot ******* better.

When they launched the show they put all those 3 episodes out at once and I think it was a strategy I'd have probably given up.

By the end it's the best TV show of 2022. Those initial episodes are really key to caring about Space Belfast.

BTW the diffrent accents in Fraiser for Daphne's family.

*Insert McBain that's the joke meme*

1698095273299.png

IMHO, it's the closest thing to an unbiased cable news channel that I've found here in America.

Watched the first three episode on new Frasier yesterday. (After years of watching loads of episodes last year I watched the entire series).

It's good the only thing I'm not sold on is Niles'/Daphne's son who is being used in a similar way as David Hyde Pierce and is simply nowhere near as good. But early sitcoms usually struggle early days findingntheir footing.

Latest posts