• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

What now for NH rugby?

Rewarding attacking rugby in the 6N could be all that is needed.

3pts for win
1pt draw
2pt bonus for scoring 4+ tries.

I think the teams would be more interested in getting the 4 tries and the 2 bonus points in the bag first, and then go for the win and the 3 points.

Rewarding attacking rugby in the 6N could be all that is needed.

3pts for win
1pt draw
2pt bonus for scoring 4+ tries.

I think the teams would be more interested in getting the 4 tries and the 2 bonus points in the bag first, and then go for the win and the 3 points.

I quite like this idea too. Something needs to be done in the Six Nations and at club rugby level to reward teams for taking more attacking risks and trying creative moves more often.

From a Welsh perspective though, in the short term, the coach I would be least concerned about leaving at this stage would be Rob Howley. I can't see any real evidence as to how he has improved our attack during his time as attack coach. That's not to say I dislike the guy, he comes across as genuinely nice and that he has his heart and passion in the right place. But I just feel he may be the weak link in the current coaching setup. I know the Northern Hemi ball handling skills aren't as instinctual as Southern teams, but I still feel like certain Welsh backs are being underused, incorrectly utilised or are having their flair and natural ability coached out of them to some degree. For example, we should see a lot more of North at international level because of some of the things he does for his club, but for whatever reason he rarely gets involved in attack, and when he does he usually acts as a straightforward ball carrier. We all know he is capable of more than that. When's the last time he played like this for Wales?

To summarize, I really don't understand why someone who probably should be our biggest attacking weapon goes missing at international level for games on end. A back line attacking game plan could be built around a guy like him to some degree.

Last edited by a moderator:
Firstly, going one round further isn't "far" better and seeing France got to the quarters along with other 2 leaves your argument void.

Secondly, comparing the premiership to super rugby is like comparing apples with pears. By comparing the it to the European cup would be a lot fairer as it's a cross country competition played out by the best teams.

Right, so a 62-13 drubbing isn't being far ahead? France had an easy group, they should've made the quarters. Australia beat Wales at their own game, defence and also trounced England at Twickenham. Even in an off year the boks still record wins over NH teams. Not to mention, Argentina's demolition of Ireland, who have been considered to be the worse of SH teams for many years vs the best NH team for many years.

Ok then compare it to the European cup, my point still stands. Get off your northern hemisphere high horse and accept SH is just in another league, which if you appreciated good rugby you'd already know.

Treat your children well, to pass and sell, the dummy over, then show, and go again, don't kick the pen, the try is on now... if they ever ask you why, running rugby for the try, is where they'll sigh... and then conversion.

Ban foreign players from domestic leagues.
But NZ is full of foreign players, from the Pacific Islands - the supreme benefit of having an empire: you attract the best people and adopt them. Not good for the islands, but what they gonna do?

- - - Updated - - -

It's England and France's decade long inconsistency that makes the SH look so dominant.
The SH has been dominant since the 1950s, AND they've added another team. Baxtards!

- - - Updated - - -

Take a look at the starting XV caps from the weekend:

IRE 684
ARG 496

That level of experience helps explain why the winner will come from one of the big 3 SH teams.

Much more to it of course, but you don't win these things with greenhorns.
Yep, much more to it.

But NZ is full of foreign players, from the Pacific Islands - the supreme benefit of having an empire: you attract the best people and adopt them. Not good for the islands, but what they gonna do?

Gr8 b8 m8.

Last edited:

- - - Updated - - -

The SH has been dominant since the 1950s, AND they've added another team. Baxtards!

- - - Updated - - -

Yep, much more to it.

Ugh!

Not this again!

Stop saying things that are false and inaccurate!!

I quite like this idea too. Something needs to be done in the Six Nations and at club rugby level to reward teams for taking more attacking risks and trying creative moves more often.

From a Welsh perspective though, in the short term, the coach I would be least concerned about leaving at this stage would be Rob Howley. I can't see any real evidence as to how he has improved our attack during his time as attack coach. That's not to say I dislike the guy, he comes across as genuinely nice and that he has his heart and passion in the right place. But I just feel he may be the weak link in the current coaching setup. I know the Northern Hemi ball handling skills aren't as instinctual as Southern teams, but I still feel like certain Welsh backs are being underused, incorrectly utilised or are having their flair and natural ability coached out of them to some degree. For example, we should see a lot more of North at international level because of some of the things he does for his club, but for whatever reason he rarely gets involved in attack, and when he does he usually acts as a straightforward ball carrier. We all know he is capable of more than that. When's the last time he played like this for Wales?

To summarize, I really don't understand why someone who probably should be our biggest attacking weapon goes missing at international level for games on end. A back line attacking game plan could be built around a guy like him to some degree.

You say Howley's the weak link, but maybe the whole team needs reinvigorating? They've been in situ for a very long time compared to most and you have a fairly small pool of players. No matter how good the coaching team, there must be an element of staleness and "heard it before" creeping in?

You can have Lancaster and Farrell senior in exchange if you want.

Yes I agree Howley should be replaced by a better attacking coach, someone who springs to mind is Paul John who coached Wales 7's to a World ***le, he was in my opinion a better SH than Howley as well and had an unrivalled partnership as a player with Jenks.

Lol guys, relax, is there a war in Toulouse?
Really Barthelemey, builiding a stadium away from all infrastrucutres in the middle of nowhere is incredibly stupid. The only purpose of that is to give money to friends, signing contracts for friends etc.
This stadium uses 600M we must spend elsewhere. In Amateur rugby, wich suffers more and more cuts, in formation, in developpment of rugby in primary schools and colleges, in so many situations.

By the way, maybe TW makes a bit of money , but have you ever seen the prices of it? Rugby still a 10 euro ticket for us.
Look, when came the moment to discuss tv rights, top14 and C+ got caught for unfair association. Beinsport was on purpose left aside,even thou they would have offer 3 times the money of C+.
Stadium is thought the same way. We could make more money, but we need to help few friends of the lions club plougastel.

On a personal level, i dont want another stadium in Ile de france, we have way enuff. It will make the subway and highways even more exepnsive, as for the local taxes, noway.
And no , an association like FFR cannot take "risks" like that, cos the only money coming monthly is hte one of people like you and me, who pay their licenses, tickets to matches etc. YOU are the money they do ****t with.

No democraty in an association leads to this kind of heresy. One or 2 decide what they will do with the money that is not theirs. But they forgot that point.

At the end, I was not even discussing about that specific stadium project, I was just stating that we needed to do something and the stadium is a good idea. Which one and where could be the subject of another discussion. But already I can see "les batailles de clochers" between the southern frenchies and the northern ones to have the stadium close to their houses.

For the rest, I'm not fan of conspiracy theories about the FFR, they are certainly not perfect but seeing them as a full corrupted body (lions club, Building friendship etc) is just conspiracy theories, even more with the relatively small amount of money they are managing and the fact that their budget and spending that are publicly available.

Surely, we could just suppress them and suppress the French team, no risk of corruption :D

Last edited:
NZ is full of foreign Pacific players lol the majority were born and raised in NZ and come through the NZ system. There's a few who come here on High school scholarship such as Joe Rokocoko and Malakai Fekitoa but they're in the minority.

I can't recommend anything for the NH. Here in NZ the only real opposition to the sport is Football or rugby league. Cricket is more of a summer game. Most kids play a sport (usually rugby) from the age of 5-7 though we're seeing an increase in diet rugby such as tag rugby (ugh!) It's a well-organised system in high schools at least in Auckland it is and even the club system is prominent. It's not like Australia where in some states a few private schools dominate things. Sure in Auckland region a few schools dominate but it isn't as bad as say, a few select private schools corrupting everything. I

'd say the NH just have to sort things out at a grass roots level and have the grass roots system working with the professional system towards a common goal. Over the years our domestic competition (NPC/ITM Cup) has been weakened very badly in favour of Super Rugby and a growing international match calendar. It's very sad for fans of the good old days such as myself but the changing of the rules means that our best players are spread over all our rugby franchises (whereas before it was that only players from that region could represent a team; any others would have to be "drafted" from outside the region). This benefits the national team the most as it means we are subversively developing depth in all positions.

Obviously this cannot be done when foreigners (irrespective of ethnicity or skin colour, I mean eligibility for the national team) dominate your domestic comp. I'd say maybe limiting the number to 3 forwards and 3 backs? I'm not sure. But then again a lot of players see Europe and Japan (and in the future maybe USA) as a place to earn a sweet paycheck. This is very important for players straight from Samoa Fiji Tonga as the income there is very low.

Well, having The Premiership clubs jammed so full with foreign, non-England eligible talent (to the point that some teams have actually fielded Starting XIs with not a single English player) has done wonders over the last 20 years for the England Football team....

...oooh, hang on!!

Well, having The Premiership clubs jammed so full with foreign, non-England eligible talent (to the point that some teams have actually fielded Starting XIs with not a single English player) has done wonders over the last 20 years for the England Football team....

...oooh, hang on!!

Straw man.....

Antartica - one of the greatest rugby nations there ever was
When did Amundsen reach the Pole? On his second try.

How did Amundsen score his second try? He reached for the Pole.

What's the difference between a penguin and a forward? When penguins huddle together, there are no arses in faces.

(I am not proud of these.)

Last edited:
Northern Hemisphere

I don't think the gap between hemisphere's is that enormous. There have been a lot of close games. I expected Ireland to do better. England were unlucky getting that group as were Wales and Australia. It took a lot out of them all. Scotland almost made the semis which was amazing and ended up the best team in the NH.

The difference at the moment is the emphasis on running and spinning the ball.

The NH sides and SA tend to keep it tight. The difference between SA and the NH is that the Saffies can run and spin the ball if needed.

Japan is edging towards the SH methods of playing.

The nations with the least imagination and vision are the ones that did worse. There are three still in the semi-finals and as I said the fourth can adopt the vision thing if required.

Straw man.....

Not at all

I am not creating a new argument, or distorting an existing argument and arguing against the position I created!

Perhaps I might be guilty of Argumento ex analogia, but even that is a stretch, since football and rugby are both professional team ball codes with a non dissimili ratione

Latest posts