• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Warm Up Match 7: Hurricanes v British & Irish Lions (Wellington)

A half-wit? Thanks haha

Honestly north looked better being involved, however his distribution is still poor... and defensively it was his poor read which allowed Savea through I think, so wouldnt fully trust him in the centre with reads like that

What is needed is for him to take some tips from Jack Nowell and come in off his wing more often, searching for ball off 9 and 10, maybe 12 too, being in and around the centres for when they potentially make line breaks
Just watched the game again and watched North, you're right his distribution leaves a lot to be desired and his instinct/decision making seems 1/2 a yard slower than 2 years ago.
My apologies I'm the half wit. I'm not sure Gatland will risk him and for me on reflection his form has declined since he moved to Saints, I don't think the concussion episodes helped and I feel the off time after concussion needs to be increased.

Has he though?
Lawes and Henderson 100% played their way in to it but will they be rewarded.
I hope so, am staying awake to see the team announcement at 1.30 am, I must be stupid, but still feel with the right changes we'll have a decent underdogs chance on Saturday, if he sticks with the same again we are fu***d

Just been announced that Henshaw and North are both on their way back to the NH this weekend,
Didn't even realise North got injured but he tore his hamstring

Fair call on Cullen, was going to chuck him in there ahead of Lomu too, definitely a more complete player.
Lomu just gave the sport such a profile and scored some iconic tries.

Retallicks well on his way to make that list too.

That would make Lomu third man!

I really can't make a call between the two. In my opinion they both deserve top spot.

I'd like to mention Edwards. My opinion is coming from the professional era though. From my life time.

Last edited:
Lomu just gave the sport such a profile and scored some iconic tries.
Retallicks well on his way to make that list too.
agree. jonah gave shtloads to rugby but textbook examples of skills wasnt one of them.
cullens my favourite. richies the best but cullen was awesome to watch and was a complete fullback.
retallick is not only a workhorse he's also got skills. reminds of chrisJack when he was at his peak

While I do think you can compare the greatness of players from any time, it's probably more fair to make 'greatest' lists from certain eras.
IMO there have been 3 main eras in rugby: The 'old-school' era (pre 1980), the 'pre-modern' era (1980 - 2000) and the modern era (2000-)

For the 'old school' era, I think there are two clear standouts as the greatest: Gareth Edwards and Colin Meads. They were both incredible and always have to be right up there in any 'all time greatest' discussions. There are plenty of others too though... the likes of George Nepia, Frik du Preez, JPR Williams, Brian Lochore, Jack Kyle, Barry John, Willie John McBride, Mervyn Davies, Mike Gibson, the Pontypool front row, and many more, are all worthy of being in the discussion.

From the pre-modern era, there's Jonah, Serge Blanco, Michael Jones, David Campese, Jonh Eales, Danie Gerber, Jonathan Davies, Sean Fitzpatrick, John Kirwan, Philippe Sella, Hugo Porta, Christian Cullen, Keith Wood, Zinzan and Buck, Joost Van Der Westhuizen, Naas Botha etc. etc.
The 2 that stand out for me as the greatest from this era would be Jonah and Michael Jones, with Blanco, Cullen and Eales right behind them.

The modern era has produced many greats in a short amount of time. To list a few that standout in my mind... Richie McCaw, Dan Carter, Brian O'Driscoll, Tana Umaga, George Greegan, Paul O'Connell, John Smit, Lawrence Dallaglio, Os Du Randt, Augustin Pichot, Jason Leonard, Martin Johnson, Victor Matfield, Johnny Wilkinson, George Smith, Brodie Retallick, Sergio Parisse, Shane Williams, Jason Robertson, Brian Habana, Ma'a Nonu... the list goes on.
IMO the greatest of this bunch, and any era, is McCaw. Just so many factors that I can't be bothered explaining go into this man's greatness. IMO he is the clear GOAT. After Richie, I'd say Carter and BOD are the greatest of the modern era.

If I were to list my all time top 5 greatest players, it'd be:
1. Richie McCaw
2. Jonah Lomu
3. Gareth Edwards
4. Dan Carter
5. Colin Meads.

That may seem like blatant Kiwi bias, and maybe it is, but I honestly believe these guys have the best overall combination of performance and impact had in their times, greatest legacies formed, most and best achievements, and biggest mark left on the game.

Last edited:
While I do think you can compare the greatness of players from any time, it's probably more fair to make 'greatest' lists from certain eras.
IMO there have been 3 main eras in rugby: The 'old-school' era (pre 1980), the 'pre-modern' era (1980 - 2000) and the modern era (2000-)

For the 'old school' era, I think there are two clear standouts as the greatest: Gareth Edwards and Colin Meads. They were both incredible and always have to be right up there in any 'all time greatest' discussions. There are plenty of others too though... the likes of George Nepia, Frik du Preez, JPR Williams, Brian Lochore, Jack Kyle, Barry John, Willie John McBride, Mervyn Davies, Mike Gibson, the Pontypool front row, and many more, are all worthy of being in the discussion.

From the pre-modern era, there's Jonah, Serge Blanco, Michael Jones, David Campese, Jonh Eales, Danie Gerber, Jonathan Davies, Sean Fitzpatrick, John Kirwan, Philippe Sella, Hugo Porta, Jason Leonard, Christian Cullen, Keith Wood, Zinzan and Buck, Joost Van Der Westhuizen, Naas Botha etc. etc.
The 2 that stand out for me as the greatest from this era would be Jonah and Michael Jones, with Blanco, Cullen and Eales right behind them.

The modern era has produced many greats in a short amount of time. To list a few that standout in my mind... Richie McCaw, Dan Carter, Brian O'Driscoll, Tana Umaga, George Greegan, Paul O'Connell, John Smit, Lawrence Dallaglio, Os Du Randt, Augustin Pichot, Jason Leonard, Martin Johnson, Victor Matfield, Johnny Wilkinson, George Smith, Brodie Retallick, Sergio Parisse, Shane Williams, Jason Robertson, Brian Habana, Ma'a Nonu... the list goes on.
IMO the greatest of this bunch, and any era, is McCaw. Just so many factors that I can't be bothered explaining go into this man's greatness. IMO he is the clear GOAT. After Richie, I'd say Carter and BOD are the greatest of the modern era.

If I were to list my all time top 5 greatest players, it'd be:
1. Richie McCaw
2. Jonah Lomu
3. Gareth Edwards
4. Dan Carter
5. Colin Meads.

That may seem like blatant Kiwi bias, and maybe it is, but I honestly believe these guys have the best overall combination of performance and impact had in their times, greatest legacies formed, most and best achievements, and biggest mark left on the game.
Try by the Lions first half Saturday brought to mind Edwards BaaBaas try in 73. As soon as Williams side stepped past Read, inside the 22, I thought "surely not". Superb try. As was the one in 73. I started playing myself in 74, so much of it was trying to emulate Edwards at Half Back. I am of the understanding the he put very little into personal fitness training, which is hard to believe. Might bee just an urban myth. Dan Carter is also superb on your list. With a penchant for halfbacks, I might go with Joost. Tragic end to his life.

Try by the Lions first half Saturday brought to mind Edwards BaaBaas try in 73. As soon as Williams side stepped past Read, inside the 22, I thought "surely not". Superb try. As was the one in 73. I started playing myself in 74, so much of it was trying to emulate Edwards at Half Back. I am of the understanding the he put very little into personal fitness training, which is hard to believe. Might bee just an urban myth. Dan Carter is also superb on your list. With a penchant for halfbacks, I might go with Joost. Tragic end to his life.
Tragic indeed, we've lost some true legends in the last couple years.
Speaking of Bokke halfbacks, I also thought that Fourie Du Preez was a great player, I remember in his prime he was a class above all other halfbacks. That prime didn't last for very long though. Same with Genia... he was Amazing around 2011, but could never maintain it. Atm Aaron Smith has the potential to be remembered as one of the great halfbacks, but he needs to re-discover the incredible standard of play he had prior to his incident. He has been gradually getting better, but is certainly not yet at the standard that he was.

Tragic indeed, we've lost some true legends in the last couple years.
Speaking of Bokke halfbacks, I also thought that Fourie Du Preez was a great player, I remember in his prime he was a class above all other halfbacks. That prime didn't last for very long though. Same with Genia... he was Amazing around 2011, but could never maintain it. Atm Aaron Smith has the potential to be remembered as one of the great halfbacks, but he needs to re-discover the incredible standard of play he had prior to his incident. He has been gradually getting better, but is certainly not yet at the standard that he was.
What was his incident? Not covered here....... Not a rugby nation as such :)

Caught indecently, with a female of similar indecency, in the public location of an airport toilet I believe?
That's just too funny. Was she if decent age at least?

What's the big deal? We've all had a knee wobbler in an indiscreet place. Speaking from personal experience ofcourse. :)

What was his incident? Not covered here....... Not a rugby nation as such :)
Oh wow thought basically every one in the rugby community knew... Last year during the rugby championship he got caught getting a bit of head lol from some random girl (not his GF. He did have one at the time) in the disabled toilets at Christchurch airport, while he was on team duty and in ABs uniform. Some nosey ******** filmed it from outside the door. The media basically destroyed him for it, he was sent home from the ABs, and clearly it screwed up his personal life. He ended up in tears on live TV apoligizing for it all. It was pretty sad tbh, and it clearly had a massive impact on him. He went from one of the very best players in the world and most important, established ABs, to being completely flustered and playing like crap on his return in the EOYT. So much so that by the end of the tour he'd been dropped for TJ.

That's just too funny. Was she if decent age at least?

What's the big deal? We've all had a knee wobbler in an indiscreet place. Speaking from personal experience ofcourse. :)

he was in a serious relationship at the time, the whole thing was filmed, and he's been destroyed for it... then again, for any followers of love island, those tapes are soo much worse

Oh wow thought every one in the rugby community knew lol. Last year during the rugby championship he got caught getting a bit of head lol from some random girl (not his GF) in the disabled toilets at Christchurch airport, while he was on team duty and in ABs uniform. Some nosey ******** filmed it from outside the door. The media basically destroyed him for it, he was sent home from the ABs, and clearly it screwed up his personal life. He ended up in tears on live TV apoligizing for it all. It was pretty sad tbh, and it clearly had a massive impact on him. He went from one of the very best players in the world and most important, established ABs, to being completely flustered and playing like crap on his return in the EOYT. So much so that by the end of the tour he'd been dropped for TJ.
Hmm - bit different if you get caught and your an AB legend to be....... I suppose..... Funny, I just commented how much I dislike Smith and TJP in another post. We're all human in the end.

he was in a serious relationship at the time, the whole thing was filmed, and he's been destroyed for it... then again, for any followers of love island, those tapes are soo much worse
Well, ,that's just his own faullt.

Well, ,that's just his own faullt.
Yea completely his own fault, he was a bloody idiot for doing it. But you shouldve seen the media and public backlash...probably the biggest I've ever seen. They just completely tore him up. The guy made a really shitty mistake but imo he didn't deserve the treatment he got, it was way overkill. That's what comes with being a rugby player in NZ though I suppose... especially a star AB.

Latest posts