• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wales vs England - 16/03/2013

I just feel that croft has to start, as he offers a more attacking threat with his pace and lineout options then Haskell. We lack the creativity and pace on the back line so Croft could be important to England. As the welsh centres, 6,7 and 8 won't have the pace to contain Croft in open space before he can offload to ashton/brown. OR use manu to blow holes into the welsh and offload to Croft -->backline

SL i am sure knows this and he has to make sure Croft plays majority of the game. I would like him to start and then bring Haskell on later. Without Croft England look very un-threatening as we have relied on penaltys to get us through games. But i feel with croft we may have a trump card which might bring it closer to Englands favour.

Last edited:
I hear plenty of people say Wales have plenty of attacking potential, but don't use it.
********, our gameplan is designed around low risk factors. Our inside backs are not those for playing a fast game, rather a low tempo, controlled game of low mistakes. Look at our fixtures over the past 18 months, we have had quite a few matches with huge amounts of possession.

Phillips, Biggar, Roberts, North, Cuthbert are not about rapid moves and inside ball, but hard yards. I'll get giffed to death, but Cuthbert is one of the few who actually poses a threat in attack. The only 'creative' set piece tries we have scored (against Ireland and Italy) were moves involving him. North is used as a battering ram through midfield with no effect. He slows down and drops before contact.

I like Eli Wales and Richard Fussell, amongst others, but they would be completely lost in our gameplan. Likewise, Beck wouldn't have a purpose in this setup (also he needs time to recover from his injury). I really like our young centres coming through, Jack Dixon and Cory Allen. Hard and fast runners but able to pass. Allen was superb against Scotland. Making breaks and feeding his three quarters. An outside centre in red passing?!?

Perhaps North isn't being utilized quite enough at present, no. But we can all remember this...

And that wasn't that long ago. So I think he'll return to that sort of form. I mean, at the moment he is making breaks, but doesn't seem quite as aware as he did last six nations. But that offload was just sublime.

In general though, none of the players are offloading anywhere near as much as they should be doing. It's usually only 2 or 3 a match these days, but I think all those players are capable of making more tbh. They're not dim, they know how to offload. I agree that our gameplan is to play very tight and wait for slim opportunities, like against France.

Also, congrats Draggs on remembering to carry forth the Eli Wales nickname, long may it continue :p And yes Cory Allen looks really promising, he made some great pin-point passes. An exciting prospect. And Harry Robinson looks to be coming along nicely too. That try he created from the Welsh 5 yard line was something special.

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 2098Has anybody noticed Goode when he is tackled opens his mouth wide like a fish gasping for air? its really funny watch him in the last couple of games.

what a fool lolzzzzzzzzz

Pretty sure this is the tackle where he injured his ankle - they showed it on replay. You can see in the picture the defender holding his foot - he twisted it badly and could barely stand on it for a while.

But, you know "lolllllllllzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!1!1111214123%!"£$£$%131!!!¬¬¬¬ ROFLF #SwaggYOLO"

I just feel that croft has to start, as he offers a more attacking threat with his pace and lineout options then Haskell. We lack the creativity and pace on the back line so Croft could be important to England. As the welsh centres, 6,7 and 8 won't have the pace to contain Croft in open space before he can offload to ashton/brown. OR use manu to blow holes into the welsh and offload to Croft -->backline

SL i am sure knows this and he has to make sure Croft plays majority of the game. I would like him to start and then bring Haskell on later. Without Croft England look very un-threatening as we have relied on penaltys to get us through games. But i feel with croft we may have a trump card which might bring it closer to Englands favour.

Massively overrating Crofts pace there, and underrating the pace in the Welsh pack and centres.

Croft is a quick forward, but I'd say both Tipuric and Faletau are as quick, and Warburton isn't far off. Jon Davies is almost certainly quicker.

actually to be brutally honest with you....no I'm not.

See, told you. Brutal...

No but srs: I just complimented the hell out of that delicious English upper body, again...mmmmmmmmm.......and then called Jenkins a beautiful faced/voiced but cold chick...and yes I do believe Wales will win this by.....very little ?

Are you Eric Cantona?

Massively overrating Crofts pace there, and underrating the pace in the Welsh pack and centres.

Croft is a quick forward, but I'd say both Tipuric and Faletau are as quick, and Warburton isn't far off. Jon Davies is almost certainly quicker.

The only player who has been quicker than him at Leicester was Tom Varndell apparently, he will be one of the fastest players on the pitch on saturday, quite easily.
Deceptively quick.

Last edited:
Also, congrats Draggs on remembering to carry forth the Eli Wales nickname, long may it continue :p And yes Cory Allen looks really promising, he made some great pin-point passes. An exciting prospect. And Harry Robinson looks to be coming along nicely too. That try he created from the Welsh 5 yard line was something special.

945709-15584395-640-360.jpg

Eli WALES

North better refind that form... My fantasy rugby pride depends on it!

Attachments

• EliWales.jpg
    EliWales.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 7
945709-15584395-640-360.jpg

Eli WALES

North better refind that form... My fantasy rugby pride depends on it!

I like how my hungover typo has now turned into an accepted nickname. I'm gonna take this as a sign that I should drink more.

You obviously not watched much of croft have you? He is probably quickest back row player in 6 nations.

You obviously not watched much of croft have you? He is probably quickest back row player in 6 nations.

He probably is just that, but doesn't mean that he's going to outstrip everyone just like that - as Dull said the Welsh backrow are no slouches either and can contain him, same goes for Jon Davies and the backs.

North's setup for the try was great, but he said that as he did it, he thought Howley was going to kill him for taking a risk.
We play low risk, low reward rugby. If we didn't have Halfpenny knocking everything we'd really be in some state.

I have to admit i not watched much of Alun Wyn Jones, but how good is he? he seems to only played 1 game and gone straight into the Lions selection.

He was pretty good in all honestly.
I'll admit, I am not a massive AWJ fan (nothing against him, just found him overrated at times) but he made an impact.
Ian Evans is my boy though. I don't think he is/was fully fit, but he goes nothing less than 100%

Yes but this is 'speed of a puma, strength of a bear' Warburton/Tipuric/Falateau we are talking about remember!

Watched plenty of Croft, and I honestly think his pace is exaggerated. For a forward he is exceptionally quick, but he's not the only one.

There will be quite a few players out on that pitch on Saturday who are quicker than Croft. From the English team I'd say Youngs is certainly quicker, and Tuilagi won't be far off.

In the Welsh backs, I'd back Halfpenny, North and Cuthbert up against him, as well as Davies. Like I said previously, Tipuric and Faletau are the two quickest Welsh qualified forwards and are well known for their pace. I would back both to keep up with Croft. Shingler will likely be on the bench, he's another who won't find Croft's pace troubling.

Latest posts