• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wales vs England - 16/03/2013

@Dull: I'm not talking about one team trying to win the hit by engaging early. That situation is being reffed ok for the most part (until Joubert decides Scotland are doing it :p).
What I am talking about is the situation that arises when both scrums engage before the ref would like but at exactly the same time, neither has gained an advantage from doing so, they simply did.
Reseting the scrum at that points just further prolongs the lull in play.
This situation is encouraged by refs actively changing the cadence of their commands in order to assert their control over the scrum, when realistically it just leads to more resets.
In my opinion the only thing they need to officiate before/during the set/engage is that neither side is deliberately going early.
If they allowed the scrums to follow the crouch/touch/set sequence to the natural rhythm developed after 1-2 scrums then there will be far fewer issues that require the scrum to be reset.
At the moment they are calling the times very awkwardly, and resetting for both sides engaging fractionally before they call it. It's simply pedantry imo.

Last edited:

Latest posts