Ireland.png

Venue: Millennium Stadium
Date: Saturday 12th March 2011
Kick Off: 5:00pm GMT
Referee: Jonathan Kaplan​

Ireland to win the penalty count 17-5
Wales to win the game by 50 pts
Kidney to discuss it with the referee after we lose

If we don't shoot ourselves in the foot we will win but we will so...

I'm actually looking forward to this game the most of all. Usually a great game. On six nations sports guru I predicted Ireland to win by 6 (but I foolishly did that prediction about a month ago before any games had been played whatsoever. With recent developments i feeel sure it will be even closer than 6 points. And it could very well be Wales sneaking it.

However, Ireland looked more dangerous in the backs at the weekend. Reddan injected that much needed edge of pace going forwards whereas Philips isn't igniting Wales at all.

I'd disagree with that simply because Stodart has played well and he'd be guy to loose out for either of 2 mentioned

I'd disagree with that simply because Stodart has played well and he'd be guy to loose out for either of 2 mentioned

Stoddart has not played that well, Halfpenny would come in and he deffo offers something more than Stoddart. As for Ireland they have their own problems, D'Arcy has been terrible, im looking forward to see how he would deal with Roberts running at him.

He's been good and I suppose Gatland is likely to stick with him. I think the other two possibility have more credits in the bank though, and I'm not 100% convinced with Stoddart's defence.

Stoddart has not played that well, Halfpenny would come in and he deffo offers something more than Stoddart. As for Ireland they have their own problems, D'Arcy has been terrible, im looking forward to see how he would deal with Roberts running at him.

Definitely agree about D'arcy versus Roberts. And I think also if Wales get North back they might get him to come off his wing more often than Stoaddart does and along with Roberts batter away at the Irish midfield. Although Wales' AI performances were widely criticised I do think some of those performances with North playing were better than Wales have been so far. I just think with the right balance of power from North and Roberts, and some quicker distribution from a more agile scrum half, Williams Hook Halfpenny etc will be able to run straighter and really be a handfull.

I reckon it will be a really close game, but I can see Wales winning it by a very small margin.
Wales by 3.

Anyone know whether Halfpenny/North will be fit? If they are, I would fancy Wales for the win a bit more.

Really gutted that we have to wait an extra week for this game (has there always been 2 breaks in the tournament?). Both sides coming into the game showing glimpses, but overall not played brilliantly. Both under fire and looking for a confidence boost.

Personally i think Stoddard should go. Yes he scored on the weekend, and saved the try but just defensively he's a huge liability (At least Shane tries to tackle them - to be fair most of the time he does as well). Also (not to totally blame him) but he butchered that 3 on 1 opportunity with white line fever. He can get away with it in the Magners league, but he tried to be a hero on the international stage and blew a great opportunity - the game would have been done after that imo (no disrespect to the italians who grew in confidence as the game went on). I'd possibly start with North (if he comes through the game on the weekend with the Scarlets), only to add some height to the back 3. Halfpenny to come off the bench to add real pace to the game late on when things (hopefully) break up.

I'd pick Jon Davies back to inside centre, and Hook to Fly-half. Wales to use Hook/Jones in similar way to Sexton/O'Gara. Hook to start the game to open the game and try the flair route. Then once the game is coming to a close 65/70 mins, bring on Stephen Jones to kick to corners and play in opposition half. If Wales aren't to disrupt the back-line then i like Brynmor Williams' comments on Scrum V last night (although i think he's a tool) - Hook at 10 in opposition half, Jones in our own (could be a possibility??). If Peel's fit, then his distribution is miles quicker than Phillips and Wales need to try and get quick ball for the backs to actually do something.
Saying that all the above will depend on the forward platform (hasn't been awful but hasn't been amazing either). Fingers crossed for Warburton to play out of his skin again (as per usual) :D :D

Cannot wait :D

Whilst Brynmor Williams' comments about playing Stephen Jones and Hook make sense when looking at the 10 spot only, it doesn't make any sense when you consider things on a whole. If Hook moves to 10 in the opposition half, then that would mean having Stephen Jones lining up in the centre when were attacking. Jones would offer very little at centre, especially in running threat, although his distibution would still be good. For me Hook should be moved back to 10 with Jon Davies coming in at 13 (Roberts needs to stay at 12). One of Halfpenny or North should certainly replace Stoddart, and unfortunately for him, Stoddart will probably miss out altogether.

Both teams are in very similar places at the moment. Both playing poorly, making way too many errors and giving away masses of penalties. It's gonna come down to which team plays better on the day and takes their chances. Home advantage should swing it Wales' way imo, but the Millenium has been a good hunting ground for Ireland, so who knows.

Wales will have the edge scrum time, Ireland in the lineout (though the Irish scrum was decent against Scotland, and Wales' lineout very good against Italy). Both backrows look good, with Warburton probably the standout of both sides so far. Another big performance from him could give us the edge up front.

Both backlines have their strengths and weaknesses. If Gatland drops Phillips, that will be Wales' biggest weakness gone, but will he? Wales have the edge in the centres considering the form of both D'Arcy and O'Driscoll (D'Arcy's been rubbish, O'Driscoll mediocre). Both back three's are strong (well that is if Byrne has another game like Sat). North or Halfpenny will improve Wales here, and again mean we could edge it.

Intriguing match. It could be a belter or an error strewn mess. Who knows?

Anyone know whether Halfpenny/North will be fit? If they are, I would fancy Wales for the win a bit more.

Both are fit. Halfpenny was on the bench Sat against Italy. North played for the Scarlets (scored a try) on Thirsday. I'd expect both to be involved, one starting the other on the bench. Don't really mind which way round.

Last edited:

D'Arcy should be dropped because he's not playing well and not creating anything so its harder for BOD to do anything. Thing about D'Arcy is he rarely misses tackles so I wouldn't worry about his defense. Thats why the miss on Rougerie was disappointing.

I think the Ireland, Wales game could be the best in the tournament so far. Both sides are looking to run it so there should be plenty of tries. Hopefully theres not too many penalties and scrum delays.

Forwards should stay the same unless Adam is fit (He should be playing for the Ospreys next week!) in which case he instantly comes in. However, I'd have a backline of-

9. Tavis Knoyle
10. James Hook
11. Shane
12. Jon Davies (I've heard he'll definatly be fit.)
13. Jamie Roberts
14. Leigh Halfpenny (Due to having play more recently than North)
15. Lee Byrne (Who played better on Saturday than he has done all season)

Yes, Knoyle is a risk, but it can't be much worse than going with Phillips, who's been Wales' worst player this season, and up until recently we where picking Huw Bennett! He's sharper, but also somewhat physical so the gameplan doesn't suddenly cange entirely. Also, the Irish wouldn't know what to expect from a 20-year-old scrum half, while Phillips is very easy to read. And I'm just annoyed with his pointless kicking game.

Peel/Knoyle would definitely be the way to go, however Gatland is never going to drop Philips, who will play the full 80 (or 79mins30seconds) as usual

Forwards should stay the same unless Adam is fit (He should be playing for the Ospreys next week!) in which case he instantly comes in. However, I'd have a backline of-

9. Tavis Knoyle
10. James Hook
11. Shane
13. Jamie Roberts

Yes, Knoyle is a risk, but it can't be much worse than going with Phillips, who's been Wales' worst player this season, and up until recently we where picking Huw Bennett! He's sharper, but also somewhat physical so the gameplan doesn't suddenly cange entirely. Also, the Irish wouldn't know what to expect from a 20-year-old scrum half, while Phillips is very easy to read. And I'm just annoyed with his pointless kicking game.

sports-injury-xsmall.jpg

9. Tavis Knoyle
10. James Hook
11. Shane
13. Jamie Roberts

Play Roberts at 12 and Peel at 9 ;)

Yeah, Jaw is a 12 no doubt.
I have heard that Peel looked pretty poor for Sale this weekend, so we might have to stick with Phillips. (No Knoyle, please)

09 Phillips
10 Hook
11 Williams
12 Roberts
13 Davies
14 Halfpenny
15 Byrne (Improving slowly)

20 Peel
21 S Jones
22 Stoddart/North

Latest posts