• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wales team announced and only one unforced change

Slamdunk

Academy Player
Country Flag
Wales
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/dan-lydiate-captains-wales-team-11041820

Amos, Webb, Charteris and Tipuric come in for Wales but Warburton is injured and both AWJ and Cuthbert, we are told, were carrying foot injuries anyway.

so essentially only Gareth Davies 'pays the price' for the Tragedy of Twickenham?

Although im happy to see Webb in, it seems unfair and singles him out as the sole player dropped. Ken Owens had a stormer when he came on and Baldwin sadly lost his arrows, so i am suprised to see no change there.

The team almost picks itself given the apparent 'injuries' but if AWJ and Cuthbert really were struggling with foot injuries what were they doing on duty at Twickenham?

Very surprised not to see Owens get a start especially considering Gatland singled him out as having a big impact.

I don't see where else Gats could make changes though. He could have possibly looked at James King over Lydiate. The backline mostly picks itself atm with Scott Williams and Halfpenny injured. Just glad Cuthbert isn't starting, nice to see the very talented Amos there.

What we need to see though is a change in attitude, both of the players and the tactics from the coaches. None of this kick first nonsense, stop the rubbish pick and drives on the half way line, counter with the damn ball, even if it doesn't result in a clean break, still better to retain the ball than hand the possession over.

Very surprised not to see Owens get a start especially considering Gatland singled him out as having a big impact.

I don't see where else Gats could make changes though. He could have possibly looked at James King over Lydiate. The backline mostly picks itself atm with Scott Williams and Halfpenny injured. Just glad Cuthbert isn't starting, nice to see the very talented Amos there.

What we need to see though is a change in attitude, both of the players and the tactics from the coaches. None of this kick first nonsense, stop the rubbish pick and drives on the half way line, counter with the damn ball, even if it doesn't result in a clean break, still better to retain the ball than hand the possession over.

I think a backline with

Liam Williams and Lee Halfpenny (wing/fullback whichever way round) North, Davies and Scott Williams in the centre and Rhys Webb at 9 would be able to rip most defences apart but who to put at 10 thats the conundrum in Welsh rugby. do we bring on Morgan or Davies, get them games internationally to see how they go? I dont think Biggar is the answer unless his very very very predictable style is a result of strict orders. Wales needs magic in the 10 shirt not an American Football punter.

I'm convinced Biggar is under orders, as are the majority of our players. For example, Jon Davies kicked the ball as many times as he carried it vs France (or so I read somewhere) - that's clearly an instruction from the coaches, as part of a game plan, as the guy does like to attack the opposition line.

Are people forgetting that we have played plenty of nice attacking rugby in the past with Biggar at 10? 2013 saw us execute lovely attacking tries with him there, 2014 saw us run free against Scotland with him at 10 (yeah they were down to 14 and all, but from the kick off Biggar was orchestrating everything). When we needed to score tries vs Italy last year, Biggar was right there helping us do exactly that.

He's not just a "American Football punter". My god we're fickle fans sometimes!

Shackles will be off on Saturday and everything will be seemingly hunky dory again after Wales run in a lorry load of tries.

Last edited:

Worries me that Baldwin is starting ahead of Owens, especially after Gatland singled Ken out for praise.

I mean I've probably made it clear on here that I'm no fan of Baldwin, but seems strange not to go with Ken considering the difference in the way the two have played both last week, and this year?

Makes me also wonder about Cuthbert... if he wasn't injured, would Gatland have had the balls to drop him after another poor performance? The Baldwin selection suggests that he may well have stuck with him.

Dissapointed that Matthew Morgan hasn't been given a chance to play at all this year, especially in this game with nothing to play for. Not saying we should've put out a completely experimental side, but why not chuck him on the left wing, or even just on the bench, so we can see what he can do in our strongest available team.

Anyway, am a fan of Amos so happy he's there. Also happy North is back at 14, reckon he tends to have a bit more success running down the right for some reason.

Latest posts