• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wales summer Tour of Australia (and 1 off match against SA)

Parry has walked out of the squad. Said he felt disrespected by Gatland as he was told he was only picked to help the team prepare for the tour. I wouldn't take Parry (though I think he's a solid hooker) but it is a bit of a dick move if what Parry said is true. Why pick someone just to tell them they are only there to hold tackle bags.

Yeah, saw that yesterday. This really worries me, because regardless of results or performances, the one thing that's always been evident with Gatland squads over the years is a great culture. To have a player walk out of camp, especially with the news that Dee has been ruled out, so Parry would have likely toured now.

On top of that, reports suggest that the next hooker off the rank is Efan Daniel. He's another player with potential, and showed up well or U20's, but we'll be touring with 2/3 of our hookers with barely any pro rugby under their belts! This is crazy imo.

I have spoken to a colleague of Parrys recently, didnt speak highly about him and stated outright he was hostile to those who didnt consider him as highly as he considered himself.

Apparently the whole issue started over kit, he received wrong sizing and he felt less stuff than other players.

I've never met him myself, but this sounds a bit more like an individual issue than a culture thing.

I have spoken to a colleague of Parrys recently, didnt speak highly about him and stated outright he was hostile to those who didnt consider him as highly as he considered himself.

Apparently the whole issue started over kit, he received wrong sizing and he felt less stuff than other players.

I've never met him myself, but this sounds a bit more like an individual issue than a culture thing.
The report seems to suggest he received less kit and he was told he was there to prepare the squad.

He said she said though isn't it. We'll likely never know what really happened. Goes without saying if he is a bad egg then I'm glad he's gone.

The report seems to suggest he received less kit and he was told he was there to prepare the squad.

He said she said though isn't it. We'll likely never know what really happened. Goes without saying if he is a bad egg then I'm glad he's gone.
No idea, but as you say hes a solid hooker, and would have been useful with the youngers. Lake really isnt that experienced really

Final squad:

Forwards: Corey Domachowski, Kemsley Mathias, Gareth Thomas, Efan Daniel, Dewi Lake, Evan Lloyd, Archie Griffin, Dillon Lewis, Harri O'Connor, Ben Carter, Cory Hill, Dafydd Jenkins, Matthew Screech, Christ Tshiunza, James Botham, Mackenzie Martin, Taine Plumtree, Tommy Reffell, Aaron Wainwright.

Backs: Ellis Bevan, Gareth Davies, Kieran Hardy, Sam Costelow, Mason Grady, Eddie James, Ben Thomas, Nick Tompkins, Owen Watkin, Rio Dyer, Regan Grace, Josh Hathaway, Liam Williams, Jacob Beetham, Cameron Winnett

Wonder what Gatland will do in the 2nd row. I'd move Tshiunza or Plumtree up there alongside Jenkins but no chance of that happening, would be too dynamic. Failing that I'd like to see Carter and Jenkins but imagine it will be Jenkins and Hill.

Weakest tight 5 I've ever seen! Aus aren't renowned for their scrummaging, but they'll probably still pummell us! Let's hope Dillon Lewis is fit and Adam Jones has worked some magic on him.

Are both of Bath's players going to come back with more minutes of international rugby than club?
Mad isn't it. My guess would be Griffin is 3rd choice so there's a good chance he might not be involved. No idea where Grace will be in the pecking order, ahead of Hathaway? Maybe but would be a big risk. My money would be on Griffin and Grace not getting anymore than 15/20 mins in 1 test, if that.

Reckon the team will be

1. Thomas
2. Lake
3. Lewis
4. Jenkins
5. Hill
6. Plumtree
7. Reffell
8. Wainwright
9. Bevan
10. Costelow
11. Williams
12. Tompkins
13. Grady
14. Dyer
15. Winnett

16. Lloyd, 17. Domachowski, 18. O'Connor
19. Carter, 20. Martin, 21. Davies, 22. Thomas, 23. Hathaway

I hope Thomas starts at 10 but would be happy to see him start at 12. I'd even be tempted to go Thomas at 10, James at 12 and Grady at 13. I've already written off this tour so might as well blood some newbies not that it'll make much difference with that front 5 and even if by some miracle we get some good ball you know we're not going to do anything with it.

Gatland said he's expecting 2 fiercely competitive matches so not much room for back tracking if we get pumped in both games. To be fair, I'm expecting us to keep one of the losses inside 14 points.

2 teams in a race to the bottom. Aus just lost a few of their future stars in Gordon and naquatasialgbtqia+ and have a few key players out left Aus for contracts.

Theyve also recalled Beale, Loto lol, who havnt been offered contracts abroad.

Aus have also just lost a club, and a number of that squad picked must be demoralised from poor super seasons.

I predict poor quality tests, lots of errors, and probably the Aus beef up front proving too much for us.

With regards to team, I think Gats might just mix and match a bit, I'd like him to try new things, and take positive risks.

I would start:

Thomas
Lake
Lewis
Jenkins
Screech
Plumtree
Reffell
Wainright
Bevan
Thomas
Hathaway
Grady
Tompkins
Dyer
William's

We need another 15 option, I'd give Winnet the 2nd game start, but want to see more attacking intent in game 1.

Screech deserves another shot, that was a decent performance, and Carter can bring more off the bench.

I dont like this back row, its uneven. Both flankers werent great last week, but they will get more to sniff around this game.

Grady showed enough at 12 to see it again, he also has a bit of flair to offer off first phase.

Tompkins is wild, but is growing into a decent centre, I wouldnt want 2 kids in midfield, with James on the bench.

I'd also drop Davies out the squad, his last few games off the bench were hugely embarrassing for him.

Agree on Gareth Davies. He really shouldn't have made the squad given his form this season for Scarlets and Wales and given his age. He's been terrible moat of the time I've seen him play!

Agree with others about Ben Thomas at 10. Personally I think he's a better centre, but Costellow is so bad, it's needs must atm.

Not at all sure about the centres. Grady needs a run of games, but I think he's better suited to 13 than 12, although it makes little difference with the quality of ball currently being provided. Not sure about Grady and James as a combo, I think both need pairing with more of a distributor. Tompkins fulfilled that role well at the WC, but was poor in the 6N. Beetham could offer a rounded option at 12, but he's completely untested in that position.

SR pairing should be Jenkins + Tshiunza imo. We just don't need him at 6, especially with Plumtree looking decent. Carter and Screech did better than I thought on the weekend, with Carter looking more physical than he has in the past, so would be happy with him too.

I'm still not convinced with Gareth Thomas either. He misses a few tackles every game, isn't a brilliant scrummager (although the issue is more on the tighthead side), and doesn't particularly add much in the loose either. Overall, he's just a bit meh. Pickings are slim in the squad, but maybe Domachowski deserves a start to see what he can offer?

So with all that in mind, I'd select the following:

Domachowski, Lake, Lewis
Jenkins, Tshiunza
Plumtree, Wainwright, Reffell

Bevan, Thomas
Tompkins, Grady
Grace, Winnett, Williams

Lloyd, Thomas, Griffin, Carter, Botham, Hardy, Beetham, James

Complete punt on Grace, but **** it, why not?

Latest posts