• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wales summer Tour of Australia (and 1 off match against SA)

I remember the incident at the time. At what point should he be forgiven?
He should be forgiven now to be honest but it was a joke to even pick him in this squad for rugby reasons let alone name him as captain. Don't know what Gatland was thinking but I could say that about the majority of his decisions to be honest.

This was just completely unnecessary and avoidable by Gatland. There was always going to be backlash from some when a player who left Wales under a cloud is parachuted back into the squad, and back in as captain.

If this had been a more gradual thing, with Hill earning his place in the squad based on form, and after a while of being in the squad and playing for Wales again he was promoted to captain, I don't think this would have had the same reaction.

But it was easy for people to criticise, because his selection was a complete joke in rugby terms, and his past doesn't help and is easy ammunition for those unhappy that he didn't earn his place back in the squad, the starting IV, or his captaincy.

How Gatland could't see this coming is beyound me, and had a lot to answer for by dragging Hill unnecessarily back into this. Hill had made the decision to forego his international career by playing in Japans 4th league (or wherever he was), but he can't be blamed for agreeing to return to the Wales fold, all professional athletes want to perform on the big stages! But all it's done is run his name back through the dirt, and I'm sure he's regretting the decision now!

Gatland has previous here too. He's continued to select out of form players in the past opening them up for critisism that's been damaging to those players' mental health. Priestlsnd and Cuthbert come to mind. It was obvious for all that their confidence was shot, and this is where a manager needs to protect these young lads sometimes, for their own good. Players sctruggle to make these decisions themselves for fear of letting down their team mates etc. (just look at the history of concussion with players playing on seriously injured).

Just another reason I think Gats needs to go now, because I blame this episode with Hill solely on his shoulders and not on Hill's who I hope is OK.

He should be forgiven now to be honest but it was a joke to even pick him in this squad for rugby reasons let alone name him as captain. Don't know what Gatland was thinking but I could say that about the majority of his decisions to be honest.
(Purely devil's advocate here as I'm not sure myself). So he should be forgiven even though the family are still traumatised by the event and the children still have nightmares and wake up screaming? Is the rugby related to the event though? Yet should he be able to continue and put it in the past even though it's clearly not in the past for the family.

I definitely agree that the current situation is more the WRU and Gatland's fault. You don't have a meeting with the mum and then do the complete opposite of what you at the very least implied.

Amazing PR work. Spot on Gatland I think you hit both feet with one shot.

Latest posts