• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Ukraine War thread

So that's 2 ships destroyed in dry dock, 2 ships listing after being hit by drones, 2 S-400 SAM systems destroyed, a military base hit outside Savastapol and now the Black sea fleet HQ hit. Also to add much of this was recorded by Ukrainian special forces on the ground..... Russian control over the Crimea is very...out of control

Shocking the Russians are using more and more BMP 1

Ye reckon if Ukraine can get clear of the bloody minefields, the difference in materiel quality* could see them hit the coast in a few days?

*which one would assume is only widening given the outdated stuff Russia are throwing into the field with just the barest of "refurbishment" - which largely consists of Ivan and Igor changing the oil and battery** then using copious amounts of easy start.

**well, occasionally. Usually just a good set of Soviet jump leads.

Some Republican leaders want to stop American support for Ukraine. They don't care about the innocent Ukrainian citizens getting killed. These idiots will do anything that they think will hurt President Biden and help their cult leader Trumpanzee.

Some Republican leaders want to stop American support for Ukraine. They don't care about the innocent Ukrainian citizens getting killed. These idiots will do anything that they think will hurt President Biden and help their cult leader Trumpanzee.
Yeah it's easy clicks and pandering to a low base. Isn't Col "storeman" MacGregor one of Trump's advisers?

Yeah it's easy clicks and pandering to a low base. Isn't Col "storeman" MacGregor one of Trump's advisers?
He was and might still be, I'm not sure? King of Narcissists Trump goes through advisors and attorneys so often that it's hard to keep up. He's a freakin' clown. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

This YouTube Channel does excellent videos on what's been going on in Ukraine

I feel that our resident soldiers will enjoy this article

Basically suggesting that the US's approach to training in Ukraine is woefully underserving to really help the Ukrainians, trying to teach them to fight in the American way when the American way depends on having air superiority, among other factors.

It points out that British trainers are very much preferred because they listen to Ukrainian soldiers, take the actual conditions they're fighting under into account, and adjust their training accordingly.

Basically suggesting that the US's approach to training in Ukraine is woefully underserving to really help the Ukrainians, trying to teach them to fight in the American way when the American way depends on having air superiority, among other factors.

It points out that British trainers are very much preferred because they listen to Ukrainian soldiers, take the actual conditions they're fighting under into account, and adjust their training accordingly.
Many American commentators talk about "manoeuvre warfare" which is great but completely impossible if you don't have at least air parity. The supply of tanks has been great but F-16s/Grippers/old MIGs would have been much more worth while.

Regards the last paragraph: British forces have been training various armies throughout the world since the 50s so they are very accomplished at it.

It's a good article. Having worked with the US army on Bradley AFV's. Another difference is they are heavily geared towards logistics by virtue of the amount of man power and equipment they have or can throw at a situation. They struggle adapting on the fly and when things don't work.

As an example the Us Army would have one guy to take off the wheel nuts, another to remove the wheel etc. The British Army are normally more cross trained and geared towards improvising and adapting. Especially with junior leaders / ranks allowed more flexibility to achieve an objective.

As an example the Us Army would have one guy to take off the wheel nuts, another to remove the wheel etc.
Is that really true? I remember it was the duty rumour when I was a Squddie but I was sceptical. I only had limited exposure to septics so don't know how true it actually was.

I remember an ex-British Soldier telling me that American troops in general aren't well trained, they just far more resources than other nations. Where as British troops in combat would have to consserve ammo and make the most of it, American troops would not care about that at all.

Many American commentators talk about "manoeuvre warfare" which is great but completely impossible if you don't have at least air parity.

Also pretty hard to manoeuvre 60 tonnes through a bog or a mile of minefield.

Yankees training to fight their theoretical war.

Is that really true? I remember it was the duty rumour when I was a Squddie but I was sceptical. I only had limited exposure to septics so don't know how true it actually was.
Came from a friend who's a senior NCO aircraft technician in the AAC. When they went out to the US to learn about the Apache. The Us had god knows how many people per aircraft. The British rocked up with about 7 of them with roll ups dangling and hands in there pockets. Which pretty much sums up your average British squaddie. It could be BS but I've no reason to doubt it.

With the Bradley if the loader didn't work or the track came off they had people to come and fix it. With the Warrior we knew how to do it ourselves because the rece mech lads had taught us. Of course this might now have changed.

Having seen about 300 USAF people do a job that would take 2 RAF engineers, I can believe it.

They also have a LOT more engineering trades whereas we now only have two… three if you count armourers.

Last edited:
Having seen about 300 USAF people do a job that would take 2 RAF engineers, I can believe it.

They also have a LOT more engineering trades whereas we now only have two… three if you count armourers.
So who fixes the wheels on the service trollies?

Latest posts