Votes: 9 31.0%
  • Botes,Deysel,Alberts

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Botes,Alberts,Kanko

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Deysel,Alberts,Kanko

Votes: 8 27.6%

• Total voters
The Sharks team to play The Toyota Cheetahs on Saturday at Mr Price Kings Park.

Coach John Plumtree has named his squad to play the Cheetahs on Saturday evening, and it looks very similar to a team that our own Rob Otto predicted a few days ago.
Captain John Smit slots into the loosehead role and packs down next to the du Plessis brothers in the front row. Steven Sykes and Al Hargreaves both make comebacks from injury to start the Super Rugby season. The loosies combo of Botes, Alberts and Kankowski is both bulky and pacey at the same time.
The Currie Cup winning halfback pairing of McLeod and Lambie continue with debutant Meyer Bosman playing in the inside centre. Currie Cup captain Stefan Terblanche slots in at 13 to make an experienced midfield combination.
The back three sees Mvovo and Ndungane on the wings and Ludik at fullback. JP Pietersen not being able to play through an injury. The bench is made up of the experienced Beast Mtawarira, Eugene van Staden, Anton Bresler and Keegan Daniel for the forwards, and new acquisition Conrad Hoffmann and JL Potgieter joining Adi Jacobs as the backline reserves.
The Sharks:
15. Louis Ludik
14. Odwa Ndungane
13. Stefan Terblanche
12. Meyer Bosman
11. Lwazi Mvovo
10. Patrick Lambie
9. Charl McLeod
8. Ryan Kankowski
7. Willem Alberts
6. Jacques Botes
5. Alistair Hargreaves
4. Steven Sykes
3. Jannie du Plessis
2. Bismarck du Plessis
1. John Smit (C)
Replacements
16. Tendai Mtawarira
17. Eugene van Staden
18. Anton Bresler
19. Keegan Daniel
20. Conrad Hoffmann
21. Jacques-Louis Potgieter
22. Adrian Jacobs

Original- Richard Fergusen from sharksworld.co.za

The Sharks have a great mix of talented youth and cool-headed veterans stretching towards the bench as well. They should win this one comfortably with Brussow, Smith and Nokwe unavailable for the Cheetahs.

Just thought I'd add that I am soooooooooo happy that Steve Walsh got injured and cannot referee this match anymore

He (Steve Walsh) robbed us of the Super 14 ***le in 2007...the guy was lying on the ground and pulled the ball back onto his side of the ruck...what a cheat!!! It was already full time when the whole crowd saw it and started screaming for the penalty...i was there and i had a super sad hangover for like 2 weeks after losing that game in extra time... unfairly. Craig Joubert was very good in the Currie Cup final...he needs to ref the final of superrugby between Sharks and Bulls...gonna be Epic!

Joubert already did the 2010 final. I doubt they will appoint the same ref twice in a row for the final. Mark Lawrence would be a good one too

News-

Sharks XV doing well in their last warm up game before Vodacom cup starts next week against Bulls.

Marcell Coetzee-8th Man, Kobus De Kock-Fullback, Anton verster- Wing and Daniel Adonga doing a lot of damage at the moment. Half time score was around 45-3 against a highlanders invitational team in Newcastle KZN.
Coetzee looking very classy for a 19 year old and at 1.89 and 107 kg he is already in great condition to play top class senior rugby.

Last edited:
He (Steve Walsh) robbed us of the Super 14 ***le in 2007...the guy was lying on the ground and pulled the ball back onto his side of the ruck...what a cheat!!! It was already full time when the whole crowd saw it and started screaming for the penalty...i was there and i had a super sad hangover for like 2 weeks after losing that game in extra time... unfairly. Craig Joubert was very good in the Currie Cup final...he needs to ref the final of superrugby between Sharks and Bulls...gonna be Epic!

The worst part about it though has got to be all the pundits and fans saying that the Bulls have 'won' 3 ***les
They have won 1 (2009), and refereeing 'blunders' gave them 2 more

Going to make my way to Kings Park soon, the weather isn't looking to great

There is supposed to be a 30 percent chance of rain, but at the moment it looks as those clouds could clear up, or burst open at any moment

Along with the slight humidity and little wind, either case should slippery conditions with regards to handling the ball
Which obviously won't suit the Banana Boys

Can't find my black jersey, will have to use the away one, which looks too 'Cheetahery' :(

Sharks have always been my favorite SA franchise/team (purely for their name/closeness to Sale) - Hope they smash the Cheetahs today :p

It's starting to rain :(

Edit; John Smit got injured in Captains run, Beast starts, with Burden on the bench

Last edited:
What a dire game, reminded me of the Scotland vs. Wales game

I am worried about the Blues game next week

Concerns:
Lambie and McLeods kicking was absolute pish, too many aimless punts upfield
The line-out- The Cheetahs aren't a good line-out team, so the fact that we lost a few of our own, and failed to win one of theirs, is a major concern
Smit's injury
Terblanche kicking for posts from 54 or so metres- WTF!?! I don't care if he has a hurricane behind him, there is no point in giving possesion back like that

Maybe I moan too much, the Sharks beat their bogie team, and Aberdeen won 5-0
Happy days

What a dire game, reminded me of the Scotland vs. Wales game

I am worried about the Blues game next week

Concerns:
Lambie and McLeods kicking was absolute pish, too many aimless punts upfield
The line-out- The Cheetahs aren't a good line-out team, so the fact that we lost a few of our own, and failed to win one of theirs, is a major concern
Smit's injury
Terblanche kicking for posts from 54 or so metres- WTF!?! I don't care if he has a hurricane behind him, there is no point in giving possesion back like that

Maybe I moan too much, the Sharks beat their bogie team, and Aberdeen won 5-0
Happy days

No need to worry...we have the win we are top of the SA Conference. The rain screwed it all up...we had to basically make up a game plan depending on how wet it was at the time. If it is dry next week i can see us giving the Blues a good smash in Humid Durbs. We can't read to much into the performance...rain was a huge factor. Whould have been nice to have Deysel there...him and Alberts are ideal for wet games. Kanko can't do much in rain...that is why i would love Alberts to be our 8 when Deysel returns. Kankow is a bit one dimensional at times...he needs perfect pitch conditions before we can see his true talent.
My Prediction against the Blues-
Our pack will dominate and Blues always struggle to get their backs going when playing in Humid Conditions.
Sharks-34 Blues-12...if it stays dry.

This weekend confirms my thoughts that Bulls Don't have enough depth...even with their strongest team they struggle against a pretty avarage lions line up to be honest. Sharks should top the SA conference. Bulls are depending on Matfield,Bakkies,Fourie and Steyn...can't play them everygame or they will burn out...Bulls will lose points if any of these guys get injured.

We could easily have gone for the Bonus point if we wanted to...Stef taking those longs kicks was seriously stupid...could have just taken a lineout few metres out and maul...we score 50% of the time when we take that option...we need to be more ruthless, guys are still a bit chilled when we get a good lead, we need to close out the games!

No need to worry...we have the win we are top of the SA Conference. The rain screwed it all up...we had to basically make up a game plan depending on how wet it was at the time. If it is dry next week i can see us giving the Blues a good smash in Humid Durbs. We can't read to much into the performance...rain was a huge factor. Whould have been nice to have Deysel there...him and Alberts are ideal for wet games. Kanko can't do much in rain...that is why i would love Alberts to be our 8 when Deysel returns. Kankow is a bit one dimensional at times...he needs perfect pitch conditions before we can see his true talent.
My Prediction against the Blues-
Our pack will dominate and Blues always struggle to get their backs going when playing in Humid Conditions.
Sharks-34 Blues-12...if it stays dry.

Don't you think that Blues prediction is a little bold?
Especially as they looked already gelled against the Saders

Fully agree with what you have said with the forwards, Kanko should not be used against teams or in general conditions that would lead to a tight game

However, whilst the rain undoubtedly affected us more than Cheetahs, Lambie's kicking was very poor, just silly aimless punts up the field
Also felt McLeod delayed far too long when distributing the ball, so I was surprised that the forwards made as much ground as they did, considering the momentum (or lack there of) they had

Once again, I probably am too critical considering it's only the start of the season, but I am concerned as both the Blues and Force had good opening games

LordHope is right to be concerned about the Blues JJR.

I am quietly optimistic about the Blues this year.. though I temper that by saying that the proof will be in the way the handle these next two away games (Sharks and Force)

I think the Blues will get a good away win in Durban though and my Shark's loving mate over here in Auckland will owe me two jugs of Mac's Gold Lager!

We really have to play differently and decide which flankers to play with depending on the weather. Although the Blues are a perfectly suited opponent for Kankowski at 8, Alberts would do better if we end up playing a physical game. I hope Deysel will be fit to play with Botes maybe being out for the match. Daniel at 6, Deysel at 7, Alberts at 8 would be the best way to go against the Blues in my opinion

LordHope is right to be concerned about the Blues JJR.

I am quietly optimistic about the Blues this year.. though I temper that by saying that the proof will be in the way the handle these next two away games (Sharks and Force)

I think the Blues will get a good away win in Durban though and my Shark's loving mate over here in Auckland will owe me two jugs of Mac's Gold Lager!

You mean the Lions. Yes, I think these two games are crucial for the Blues to set a trend for the rest of the season. They could win both but they could as likely lose both.

The Sharks are a tough opponent and the Lions are a different team from last year and the 2nd half against the Bulls was the best rugby played by a SA team in round 1.

I will be watching closely as both Sharks and Blues are competitors of us (Stormers) for a play-off spot. I'd say a low scoring match with the Sharks and Lions coming through would be the result I would be hoping for but the Blues are a mean team on paper and if they manage to find consistency could well push for top spot in NZ.

We really have to play differently and decide which flankers to play with depending on the weather. Although the Blues are a perfectly suited opponent for Kankowski at 8, Alberts would do better if we end up playing a physical game. I hope Deysel will be fit to play with Botes maybe being out for the match. Daniel at 6, Deysel at 7, Alberts at 8 would be the best way to go against the Blues in my opinion

I think Deysel is still a few weeks off from being ready, whilst by most accounts Botes should be fit (I think he came off because of a cut, it was raining too hard to see clearly and I was busy explaining to my 4-5 year twin sisters that he wasn't dead, just sore)

Latest posts