• Total voters

JJR

Bench Player
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
Sharks
Sharks.png

The Natal Sharks are a South African rugby union team that participate in the annual Currie Cup and the Super 15 tournaments. The Sharks home stadium is Kings Park. They draw most of their players from the KwaZulu-Natal Province. The Sharks are the current representative team of the Natal rugby Union, founded in 1890. The team were known simply as 'the Banana Boys' until the mid-1990s.
The Sharks of the Super 15 competition are basically the same team - they also play in Durban and draw their players from the KwaZulu-Natal area. For most of Super Rugby history, the Sharks Super Rugby franchise drew players from a larger area than did the Natal Sharks, with the rugby unions of Border, based in East London and Eastern Province from Port Elizabeth included in the Sharks franchise.
<TABLE id=toc class=toc><TBODY><TR><TD>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
HISTORY

The Natal Rugby Union was founded in 1890. Natal made their first Currie Cup final appearance in the 1956 season, where they met Northern Transvaal at home, Kings Park Stadium in Durban. Natal went down by just a single point, with Northern Transvaal winning the match nine points to eight.
Natal made the final again in the 1984 season, when they met Western Province at Newlands Stadium in Cape Town. Natal lost the match nineteen points to nine. Natal met 1956 final opponents, Northern Transvaal, in the legendary 1990 final in Pretoria, though this time, Natal won the contest, claiming their first ever Currie Cup, with the final score being 18 points to 12. Natal won the match with Tony Watson's famous '9 point try'. With score at 12-9, Right Winger Tony Watson touched down to make it 13-12 in Natal's favour, but he was fouled upon scoring. Stransky converted to give Natal a 3-point lead, and his successful subsequent penalty gave Natal the six point lead which they held until the final whistle. The victorious side were captained by scrumhalf Craig Jamieson, who led the team on a ticker-tape parade through central Durban later in the week. The victory was especially poignant for being both Natal's first, and for occurring in the Union's Centenary year.
Natal were again in the finals only two seasons after their 1990 victory. They won their second Currie Cup ***le, defeating Transvaal by a single point, winning 14 points to 13 at Ellis Park in Johannesburg. This was another important victory, because it confirmed that Natal were consistently good performers, and not just one-hit wonders. The Sharks' success in the 1990s continued, with the team making it to the following season's final as well, though they were not able to win back-to-back ***les, going down to Transvaal 21-15 at home.
Natal provided virtually all the players who participated in the Sharks squads of the 1990s in first the Super 10 competition, and its later edition, the Super 12. Durban-based players continue to provide the bulk of the current Super 14 squad. Natal and the Sharks performed inconsistently in the early years of the Southern Hemisphere competition, but earned the respect of Antipodean clubs and reached the final of the second Super 10 competition in 1994. The team developed a particularly intense rivalry with the Auckland Blues, and Sharks-Blues contests are usually one of the highlights of Super rugby. The team also particularly enjoys defeating Brisbane's Queensland Reds, mostly due to a rivalry that dates back to the 1994 Super 10 final, won by Queensland, and the fact that Durban and Brisbane are considered by many to be almost 'twin cities', sharing a similar climate, population size, and relaxed, seaside atmosphere. Natal reached the final of the 1996 Super 12 competition where they lost to Auckland, and the Sharks reached the 2001 final where they lost to the Brumbies.
The Natal Sharks continued to feature in the 90's and won more Currie Cup ***les than any other team in the same period. Natal won the 1995 Currie Cup, defeating Western Province 25-17 at home and then defeating the Golden Lions in the 1996 decider, 33-15 at Ellis Park, their first back-to-back ***le. They made one other final appearance during the decade, against 1996 finalists, the Golden Lions, who defeated the Sharks 32-9 in Durban.
Following the 1999 final loss to the Golden Lions, the Sharks again made it to the final in 2000, but again lost, this time to Western Province in Durban 25-15. They faced Western Province again in the 2001 final in Cape Town, and again they lost 29-24. The Sharks did not feature in the 2002 final, but faced the Blue Bulls in the 2003 final, who defeated them 40-19 in Pretoria. The Sharks made it to the first-ever all-South African final of the Super 14 2007, losing narrowly to fellow South Africans The Blue Bulls 20-19. They were finally able to avenge these defeats by beating the Bulls 14-9 at home in the 2008 Currie Cup Final. In 2010 the Sharks have once again reached the Currie Cup final by defeating their old rivals the Bulls 16-12. They contested the final at home against Western Province on Saturday 30 October 2010, and beat them 30-10 to win the coveted trophy once again.
The Natal Sharks Academy

The Natal Sharks are reputed to have one of the best academies in the world of Rugby Union. Players such as Ryan Kankowski, JP Pietersen, François Steyn, Tendai Mtawarira, Lwazi Mvovo, Patrick Lambie and Keegan Daniel are all graduates of the programme. The Academy also run a 'gap year' style programme for overseas players, specifically aimed at school leavers.[1] The academy, which is accredited by SA Rugby and backed by a strategic partnership with the Sharks, offers a full-time, three-year course designed for young people with a passion for rugby and a desire to forge a career in the sport.
The Natal Sharks Region

The Natal Sharks franchise covers the province of KwaZulu-Natal. The two main cities from which most of its players are drawn are Durban and Pietermaritzburg.

Talk anything linked/related to The Sharks rugby Union

Latest news (will be updated regularly):

Latest Sharks pics go to www.backpagesport.com OR http://www.galloimages.co.za/Search?q=STEVE+HAAG&a=2&st=2&dr=0 Or search "Sharks" at Gallo images.
Latest Sharks news www.sharksworld.co.za OR www.sharksrugby.co.za . For some Exclusive Sharksworld Wallpapers go to www.sharksworld.co.za

Good Read- http://www.sharksworld.co.za/2011/03/29/future-sharks-update/

The Sharks Team V Brumbies on Saturday.

Great mix of youth and experience. Smit and Kanko out injured. Skeate has gone over to the Sharks XV, due to the rules that Stop Bresler and Mostert for playing for them(Read above posts). That allows Bresler to come off the Bench and SA u/20 8th man Marcell coetzee to move into the 19 shirt. He has been one of the Best ball carrying looseforwards so far in the Vodacom Cup and has set up a number of tries with his pace from the back of the scrum. The loose trio is also one that looks very scary!!!

1.Beast
2.Bissie
3.Jannie Du Plessis
4.Sykes
5.Hargreaves
6.Daniel
7.Deysel
8.Alberts
9.Mcloed
10.Lambie
11.JPP
12.Bosman
13.Stef (C)
14.Ndungane
15.Ludik

16.Burden
17.Van Staden
18.Anton Bresler
19.Marcell Coetzee
20.Conrad Hoffmann
21.Adi Jacobs
22.Lwazi Mvovo

Last edited:
I see it is no longer Daniel Ojiambo, but Daniel Adongo

Always that Adongo was his middle name, as did the match-day programme makers, the announcer and the Sharks website etc...

Jacques Englebrecht is the Sevens player right?

I see it is no longer Daniel Ojiambo, but Daniel Adongo

Always that Adongo was his middle name, as did the match-day programme makers, the announcer and the Sharks website etc...

Jacques Englebrecht is the Sevens player right?

Where did the Ojiambo come from? Doesn't sound South African to me. Maybe Zimbabwean or Nigerian rather?

Now this is a proper thread :D
When is the SR squad announced?

I see their new kit has been officially launched, looks better in the high quality pictures.
Thumb_500163_11411537.jpg

Expensive kit though!

Where did the Ojiambo come from? Doesn't sound South African to me. Maybe Zimbabwean or Nigerian rather?

Kenyan, came through the academy. But i think he is getting his SA citizenship this year...he will easily make the sevens team.

When you say 6, do you mean Openside? I recall the Saffas doing something like that.
The squad looks very solid in most positions, except perhaps second row. Back row more than makes up though.
As Smit is the captain, where will he play up front? Beast, BdP and JdP are good players and perhaps better in some respects.
Core training group-

1.Beast,John Smit, Sabelo Nhlapo
2.Bismark du plessis,Craig Burden
3.Jannie Du Plessis, Eugene van staden
4.Steven Sykes, Gerhard Mostert
5.Alister Hargreaves, Ross Skeate
6.Keegan Daniel, Jacques Botes
7. Jean Deysel, Jacques "Vleis Engelbrecht (will know for sure if he is signed around 7th Feb)
8. Willem Alberts, Ryan Kankowski
9. Charl Mcloed, Conrad Hoffman
10. Patrick Lambie, Jacques-Louis Potgieter
11. Lwazi Mvovo , Luzuko Vulindlu
12. Meyer Bosman, Riaan Swanepoel
13. Adrian Jacobs, Stefan Terblanche
14. Jp Pieterson, Odwa Ndungane
15. Louis Ludik

Other that come in as back up if needed-
Kyle cooper-2
Wiehahn Herbst-3
Anton Bresler-4
Daniel Ojiambo/Adongo- 7
Ross Cronje/ Cobus reinach-9
Mark Richards- wing

As Smit is the captain, where will he play up front? Beast, BdP and JdP are good players and perhaps better in some respects.

That's the question of the year so far

@ Sharks Supporters

With Luke Watson going to the EP Kings in-mid year, he will be available to play for the Sharks in the S15 next year, what say our supporters to the possibility of Puke being in the team again?

That's the question of the year so far

@ Sharks Supporters

With Luke Watson going to the EP Kings in-mid year, he will be available to play for the Sharks in the S15 next year, what say our supporters to the possibility of Puke being in the team again?

No Chance he will be back...unless his attitude has changed, good player, but not sure if he is good for team morale.

When you say 6, do you mean Openside? I recall the Saffas doing something like that.
The squad looks very solid in most positions, except perhaps second row. Back row more than makes up though.

Yup, 6 is openside in SA...dunno of any other country that does it the same way. 7 is such a cool number...it should be given to a guy that shows what rugby is about...being physical...blindside flankers are the best at that.
With J Smit, because the super15 is so long and draining we will need to rotate players a lot to keep them fresh...Stef terblanche will be captain when Smit does not start. He will also be playing in 1,2 and 3 according to John Plumtree.
The more teams join Superrugby the better, cause The Sharks have a very deep squad which allows us to rest players up for the playoffs.

Also lock might seem weak cause the names are not so well known, but hargreaves, sykes and mostert have been involved with the boks on more than one occasion, But Mostert has been injured most of the last 2 years. Skeate has also captained western province. Mostert is around 120kg and 2m tall 4 those who don't know him yet. To help some who don't really know mostert...he is very similar to Johann muller in many ways...just a bit less on the lineout side and a bit more on the crash ball side.

Last edited:
Neo Tri- Series pre-season squad. 4 stromers and lions games. Lions game 2nd feb, stormers game 5th Feb on Supersport 2 at around 19:00.

Here is the 27-man squad named by the Sharks:
Forwards: Beast Mtawarira, John Smit, Eugene van Staden, Jannie du Plessis, Craig Burden, Bismarck du Plessis, Anton Bresler, Alistair Hargreaves, Ross Skeate, Gerhard Mostert, Jacques Botes, Willem Alberts, Ryan Kankowski, Daniel Ojiambo
Backs: Charl McLeod, Conrad Hoffman, Pat Lambie, Jacques-Louis Potgieter, Meyer Bosman, Riaan Swanepoel, Adi Jacobs, Stefan Terblanche, JP Pietersen, Mark Richards, Odwa Ndungane, Lwazi Mvovo, Louis Ludik

Jacques Engelbrecht not named because he is on trial 4 the week

Sharks lineup for the Lions

1. Tendai Mtawarira
2. John Smit (Captain)
3. Jannie du Plessis
4. Ross Skeate
5. Alistair Hargreaves
6. Jacques Botes
7. Willem Alberts
8. Ryan Kankowski
9. Charl McLeod
10. Patrick Lambie
11. JP Pietersen
12. Meyer Bosman
13. Stefan Terblanche
14. Odwa Ndungane
15. Louis Ludik

Replacements:
16. Craig Burden
17. Eugene van Staden
18. Gerhard Mostert
19. Daniel Adonga
20. Conrad Hoffmann
21. Jacques–Louis Potgieter
22. Adrian Jacobs
23. Bismarck du Plessis
24. Anton Bresler
25. Jacques Engelbrecht
26. Riaan Swanepoel
27. Lwazi Mvovo
28. Mark Richards

http://www.sharksrugby.co.za/news/general/110131/Strong_Sharks_Team

That's a good looking side. Only places where I feel the Sharks have CC level players and not possible international level players is 2nd row and center.

Was just having a wee think about the depth, and have come up with a list (based on positions and how many players can play in them, so note that players are repeated like Terblanche

15- 3 international level players, Ludik, Lambie and Terblanche
14-11 - 2 (3 If Ndungane's form from last year continues) Top end S14 wings, and a bright prospect in Richards
13- 2 very culpable in the S15 players in the form of Terblanche & Jacobs
12- 1 international level, one decent-to-top end player in Bosman, one mediocre s14 player (Swanepoel) and a culpable player in JL Potgeiter
10- 1 international level (Lambie), a decent S14 player in JLP and Bosman can do the job
9- 2 decent S14 players in McLeod and Hoffman
Backrow- Deysel, Kanko, Alberts- All could easily make most international sides, bar NZ, SA and at a push Aus

Was just having a wee think about the depth, and have come up with a list (based on positions and how many players can play in them, so note that players are repeated like Terblanche

14-11 - 2 (3 If Ndungane's form from last year continues) Top end S14 wings, and a bright prospect in Richards
12- 1 international level, one decent-to-top end player in Bosman, one mediocre s14 player (Swanepoel) and a culpable player in JL Potgeiter
10- 1 international level (Lambie), a decent S14 player in JLP and Bosman can do the job
Backrow- Deysel, Kanko, Alberts- All could easily make most international sides, bar NZ, SA and at a push Aus

You certainly have depth but I would say that Hoffmann (being a Stormer supporter I know how talented he is) is still a bit new to Super rugby.

As for Alberts, Kanko, Deysel.. I say they would most likely walk into the Aus line-up with Deysel on the bench to accommodate Pocock. I'm sure the Irish will argue that they have top loosies as well. France and England also have a couple but your point is well made; few club/provincial teams can boast a looseforward combination to match (with Daniel and Botes to boot!).

You certainly have depth but I would say that Hoffmann (being a Stormer supporter I know how talented he is) is still a bit new to Super rugby.

As for Alberts, Kanko, Deysel.. I say they would most likely walk into the Aus line-up with Deysel on the bench to accommodate Pocock. I'm sure the Irish will argue that they have top loosies as well. France and England also have a couple but your point is well made; few club/provincial teams can boast a looseforward combination to match (with Daniel and Botes to boot!).

I seriously cannot wait any longer for the season to start. In these last few years we've had so much bad luck with injuries that this is the year it has to start for us. With 4 Springboks for the front-row (And Burden being a better hooker than Smit) we have enough to pick from. Second row is the weakest link in our squad with only Hargreaves as something to show for with international experience. Skeate, Sykes and Mostert are all Currie Cup material.

The backrow with Kanko, Alberts, Daniel, Deysel and Botes is something to really be proud of. Botes has the experience, the other 4 the amazing talent. After Ruan Pienaar left for Ulster last year I was afraid we would lose out on quick recycling but Charl McLeod has stepped up to the plate and pushed even Kockott to the bench. For me the revelation of the 2010 Currie Cup, even more than Lambie.

With Jacques-Louis Potgieter in the squad as a fly-half with a good kicking boot, Lambie will be pushed to either full-back or centre, which he is better suited for in my opinion anyway. I think he should focus on a centre position for the future with Elton Jantjies being the future Bok fly-half and Fourie/de Villiers almost 30, Lambie would be suited to accompany de Jongh in the centre-pair.

Our wings are Pietersen and Mvovo, no doubt. Vulindlu and Ndungane are backups but are not even close to being Currie Cup material. I would love to see some talent getting opportunities there. For the centre position we have Bosman, Swanepoel, Jacobs, Terblanche and Lambie. 5 people for 2 positions so no worries there. At full-back we have Ludik, Terblanche and Lambie.

My favourite line-up would be this:

--1-Mtawarira-----2-B. du Plessis-------3-J. du Plessis----
--------------4-Sykes------5-Hargreaves----------------
---6-Daniel/Alberts-------------7-Deysel/Botes-----------
-------------------8-Kankowski--------------------------
--------------9-McLeod---------------------------------
---------------------10-Potgieter------------------------
-11-Mvovo--------------------------------14-Pietersen---
-------------12-Lambie---13-Terblanche------------------
---------------------15-Ludik----------------------------

Less than three weeks. This is my only hope with the Welsh clubs being awful and our national side being injured.
I still can't believe the quality of our backrowers. There should still be good options when the Boks take some for the Tri Nations.

The depth of the backs also allows Lambie to settle into one spot, as we aren't really pressed in any specific one. (10= JLP, Bosman, 12=Bosman, 15=Ludik, Terblanche)

Bring on the final!

Bad news people. In the match against the Lions that the Sharks lost 41-10, Hargreaves has suffered a back injury and is currently in the hospital in Joburg.

source: His Facebook Wall

Ross skeate has also fractured his finger and will be out for around 3 weeks or so.

Possible Shark team v Stormers on Sat.(if they going for best lineup available)

1.Beast
2.John (c)
3.Jannie
4.Bresler (Sykes injured)
5.Mostert (Hargreaves and Skeate injured)
6.Botes
7.Alberts
8.Kanko
9.Charl
10.Jacques Louis-Potgieter
11.Mvovo
12.Bosman
13.Stef (vc)
14.Ndungane (Jp had a jog about against Lions)
15. Lambie (Ludik has a dead leg/Lamey)

Latest posts