• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Blues?!

^That's good.

I've never been a fan of firing coaches mid-season regardless of how bad they're doing.

He's definitely gone at the end of the season, I heard that Graham Henry is coming in to "supervise". That alone spells doom, if Lam suddenly turned around the Blues season without help he may have stuck in their but now that GH is in the mix even if the Blues do turn things around it's just going to be attributed to Henry's influence and Lam will get the sack anyway.

Sorry if my info is wrong but I'm sure I read that somewhere.

What is this racist thing going around in NZ? what I've heard is that supporters are complaining that there are to many polinisiers (Samoans, Fijians) in the side. I don't know if it is really true or if worst accusations have been made, but maybe some supporters feel there are better local players that can do a better job and that because Lam himself is from Samoa he gives preferance to these players.

Now I am only asking, I am not making a statement, but isn't this a ploy from Lam to get the heat off him and try te get some sympathy? Just wondering. If they continue to loose and the heat gets even worse, what will the next thing be. Accusing his critics of Xenophobia?

Please read carefully what I am saying and try not to be emotional. I know this is a very sensitive topic. In SA we are used to black people throwing the race card when they under perform and get some heat.

In SA John Smit was probably the player who recieved the most heat that I can remember, but if that same amount of heat goes to a player of colour out comes the race card.

I am not accusing Lam of anything. At worst I am just playing devils advocat. I don't have all the facts and am only acting on a report that I read in a local newspaper this morning.

However if there were true racial remarks been made it is sad indeed and I condemn such behaviour.

Last edited:
The racist thing deff happened (facebook social media etc etc) but tbh i think pat needs to suck it up a bit he's been around a long time now and he's carrying on like he's never faced that sort of thing before. What a load of ballony.

What is this racist thing going around in NZ? what I've heard is that supporters are complaining that there are to many polinisiers (Samoans, Fijians) in the side. I don't know if it is really true or if worst accusations have been made, but maybe some supporters feel there are better local players that can do a better job and that because Lam himself is from Samoa he gives preferance to these players.

Now I am only asking, I am not making a statement, but isn't this a ploy from Lam to get the heat off him and try te get some sympathy? Just wondering. If they continue to loose and the heat gets even worse, what will the next thing be. Accusing his critics of Xenophobia?

Please read carefully what I am saying and try not to be emotional. I know this is a very sensitive topic. In SA we are used to black people throwing the race card when they under perform and get some heat.

In SA John Smit was probably the player who recieved the most heat that I can remember, but if that same amount of heat goes to a player of colour out comes the race card.

I am not accusing Lam of anything. At worst I am just playing devils advocat. I don't have all the facts and am only acting on a report that I read in a local newspaper this morning.

However if there were true racial remarks been made it is sad indeed and I condemn such behaviour.

I agree with you.

Firstly, I haven't seen any racist comments. That isn't to say they didn't happen in certain places but they weren't wide spread comments. Secondly, why even care about the comments? There's probably millions of people around the world who call Lionel Messi a homo every week. The truth is these people who made the comments probably aren't even racist. They were most likely joking around or being immature. There is a huge difference between using racist language to insult someone and actually being racist. Sure Lam is getting some abuse but Hammett also got plenty of it last year. It just comes with the territory. Obviously racist comments are unacceptable but there is no need to draw attention to the comments. I doubt Lam deliberately used the comments to deflect attention from his team's performances but he still didn't need to bring them up in the media.

Polynesian players do have a reputation as being a little bit unreliable and lacking in discipline. I tend to think that can be a fair generalisation however it is completely to do with the culture that many Polynesians are raised in and has nothing to do with race. Obviously that is a huge generalisation and a lot of players show ill discipline. The point is that a team should make sure it is built around reliable players like Conrad Smith or Richie McCaw rather than someone like Weepu. The Blues do have some reliable players like Mealamu (who has been poor) and Kaino (who has been injured). I think there is something wrong with the culture in the Blues and they don't have enough players who you can rely on.

I don't think people think Lam brings in too many Samoans. Lam was born in Auckland and so are most of the players. There are lots of Polynesians in the team because there are a lot of Polynesians in Auckland. Most people probably view Lam's major problem as the fact he hasn't been able to instill strong discipline and change the culture of the Blues.

He is definitely milking it more than he should have. Coaches in years gone by we're criticized at the blues for not getting on with their large Polynesian contingent (Jed Rowland, Gordon hunter) and they didn't play the race card then. All sorts of criticisms from every angle come out when a team with that many good players keeps losing. He should be spending less time on message boards and Facebook and more trying to sort his team out anyway.

yeah I dont know what to make of the racist thing. most likely just one or two idiot no-bodies make a comment on social media and all of a sudden it's headline news and in this case it's the media who are to blame for making national headlines out of comments that should have just been ignored.

IMO - that whole "racist social media postings" is a complete media beat-up.
As I stated in a previous post- I have not seen any of those postings, and I am on the rugby sites in NZ far too often that someone really should be!

Lam should go now - for his own sake.

It will come out by the season's end that the players are just as culpable in this mess, and that way Lam's rep will be somewhat restored.

this whole Blues mess will go on for months.

By the time the smoke clears, There will be very few of the old guard at The Blues remaining. I expect those that have moved on, or have BEEN moved on will feature: Lam, Dalton, Ali Williams, Nonu, Weepu. Stanley, Munro, and perhaps Mealamu.
Rumours are going round that the Blues will lose 10 players at the end of the season

IMO - that whole "racist social media postings" is a complete media beat-up.
As I stated in a previous post- I have not seen any of those postings, and I am on the rugby sites in NZ far too often that someone really should be!

Lam should go now - for his own sake.

It will come out by the season's end that the players are just as culpable in this mess, and that way Lam's rep will be somewhat restored.

this whole Blues mess will go on for months.

By the time the smoke clears, There will be very few of the old guard at The Blues remaining. I expect those that have moved on, or have BEEN moved on will feature: Lam, Dalton, Ali Williams, Nonu, Weepu. Stanley, Munro, and perhaps Mealamu.
Rumours are going round that the Blues will lose 10 players at the end of the season

Wow. Angry Much?

Racism is alive and kicking in NZ as subtly as Michael Laws. Some people take personal attacks on their families and race to heart. So I don't think Pat wasn't warranted in showing some emotion. Just check out the Stuff website or heck even SMH.com.au for all the lovely people sharing their wisdom.

This year's performance has been a long time coming, not because of the current players but the failure to provide depth and build up the players within the Franchise. None of the Blues Franchise partners had claim forward packs that could obtain dominance, the players aren't being developed or kept within the system to develop.

Lam should finish the season. There's nothing to come of the mess that is 2012 other than a clean sweep of the team. Stanley was already making waves about leaving, Clermont was a prospective employer. (or has that been confirmed - I've been out of the loop)

Wow. Angry Much?

Racism is alive and kicking in NZ as subtly as Michael Laws. Some people take personal attacks on their families and race to heart. So I don't think Pat wasn't warranted in showing some emotion. Just check out the Stuff website or heck even SMH.com.au for all the lovely people sharing their wisdom.

This year's performance has been a long time coming, not because of the current players but the failure to provide depth and build up the players within the Franchise. None of the Blues Franchise partners had claim forward packs that could obtain dominance, the players aren't being developed or kept within the system to develop.

Lam should finish the season. There's nothing to come of the mess that is 2012 other than a clean sweep of the team. Stanley was already making waves about leaving, Clermont was a prospective employer. (or has that been confirmed - I've been out of the loop)

Yep, been confirmed.

I do think Pat Lam did intentionally draw attention to it, whether it was the fact that stress had gotten to him and this was the final straw or it was an intentional deflection, I do think it was a little inappropriate. Social media and internet comments are almost never worth bringing up or stressing about. I've never heard that the problem with the Blues has anything to do with race, but more to do with poor performance. If I genuinely took social media as a genuine excuse, then I'd request extentions on assignments or improved grades, simply because someone called me nasty names on Youtube.

Stanley gone too? That sucks. he's actually looked in quite good form this season even though he's been juggled between center, wing and the bench.

Lam has to go.... And though there is talk saying that he would be back next year and that was a done deal it's not. If anything he will have a review and have to re-apply for the job.

I think the main problem is that the issues with the blues I think will take more than one season to fix. Their focus now should be to sign a core group/nucleus of players ASAP and recruit hard during the ITM cup and get a new coaching setup. But it will be another year or two before that new coaching setup has the players and culture they are looking for.

The main problem for Lam is that now is the time his team should be at their best. He's had the job for a long time and he's got a powerful player roster - his team culture and gameplan should be set in stone. Sure he's had injuries in the squad but that is no excuse to be last on the table. I've followed the chiefs during seasons they have been decimated with injury yet they still stayed mid table and managed to beat some of the top teams in patches when they had more of their top players back.

Then they need to do something about the all the best schoolboy talent that gets snapped up by NRL clubs, heck and Aussie Super rugby (Ewen McKenzie stayed in Auckland after the reds/blues game to scout). There will always be more chances for players outside the blues region than in it with all the NRL clubs, Aussie super teams on the lookout. But they need to make dam sure they identify the BEST talent and draft them into blues development. Look at Mike Harris, David Smith, Winston Stanley, Pakalani to name a few... Clubs that pillage Auckland rugby talent should get the dregs not the cream.

lions next week for the blues and I don't know if it's a curse or a blessing.

lions have won 3 matches in 3 years and so the blues "should" put them away and wont prove anything by beating them. But even the Chiefs had to be very careful, the lions showed they have a big and pretty well drilled forward pack. and they threatened the chiefs line often and the chiefs defense is the best in the comp.

Blues look in very real danger of giving the lions their 4th win in 3 years... And if they do they will have found a new low in a season of lows.

I've a good pun for why the blues are playing badly.
It's hard to fight like a lion when you're led by a Lam.
Badumdumchhhhhh

[TABLE="width: 180, align: left"]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD]
Pat-Lam-Training-120411G300.jpg
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][TABLE="align: center"]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD]Pat Lam © Gallo Images[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: article_links"]Bok Barometer - choose your SA team
Super Rugby on the iPad
Fantasy and Prediction games
Photo Galleries
[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

[h=1]Blues coaching job to be advertised[/h]
09 May 2012, 06:27

The Auckland Blues will advertise the position of head coach, increasing the likelihood that current coach Pat Lam will be replaced.
In a statement on Wednesday, Blues chairman Gary Whetton said the Auckland franchise and New Zealand Rugby Union had agreed to advertise Lam's position to test the degree of interest in the role.
Lam is contracted to the end of this year with an option of a further year. But with the Blues having won only one of 10 Super Rugby games so far, his chances of reappointment seem slim.
"The reality is the results of the Blues to date this season have put considerable focus on the role and as those in the rugby industry know, this is the time coaches look to secure their coaching posts for next year and beyond," Whetton said.
"In order to ensure we have the best opportunity to garner interest from coaches both locally and abroad, this position needs to be advertised now."
Prospective coaches will be interviewed by representatives of the Blues and the New Zealand union in June and July. Under New Zealand's centralized professional system, Super 15 coaches are contracted to the NZRU in conjunction with individual teams.
"It's obvious for all to see that the Blues are having a very disappointing season so far in 2012 and this has brought about the need for some action," NZRU general manager of professional rugby Neil Sorenson said.
Lam has coached the Blues since 2008, winning 24 matches and losing 29. His best result came last year when the Blues reached the semifinals after finishing seventh in 2010 and ninth in 2009.
Their only win this season came over the Pretoria-based Bulls in round three. They have since lost seven-straight matches but play the Johannesburg-based Lions on Friday in a match between the two lowest-placed teams in the tournament.

Hopefully Kirwan gets it with a longish term contract so changes can be made right the way through. Mallett is the only other overseas coach thats anygood imo but i doubt he would want to coach the blues with their current organisation.

Hopefully Kirwan gets it with a longish term contract so changes can be made right the way through. Mallett is the only other overseas coach thats anygood imo but i doubt he would want to coach the blues with their current organisation.

What about Peter Russell? Anyone knows what he is up to these day? The Blues need to go looking out of the region and pick up some other talent.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/super-rugby/6911432/NZRU-wants-Blues-coach-to-be-home-reared

all pretty interesting, finally got some clarity and can say that the Job is up for grabs but I don't know what Lam is doing. He's doing too much talking to the media.

Now he's sawing that he wants to come back as an assistant to the new coach? And that some of the players want him to stay?

maybe those players want Lam involved so they still have a chance of being picked. I mean who else would have Brad Mika? Pat's cuzzy...

Either way the key for the future of the blues is making sure the BEST schoolboy talent in the region is drafted into the blues and not the NRL. And the team itself needs to change it's culture and gameplan.

I like the idea of JK as head coach but he needs quality assistants, they will be just as important. And I personally wouldn't want Pat there as a link back to this year when the blues were at their worst.

Players seem to come and go, losing Jared Payne was a kick in the pants for the blues. I look at Stanley who's going... Why would he stick around. He's actually in good form this year but hes been shifted between 13, the wing and the bench and worse... His brother took off and is prob in his ear telling him how good things are away from the blues.

Going to take a while to create an environment the players want to be in (other than for pay) I think JK can do that.

Latest posts