• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Blues?!

Munro actually looked pretty good at 10 recently. I really don't think wing of fullback suits him, he to often gets dominated when he has to mark a genuine classy outside back.

Munro actually looked pretty good at 10 recently. I really don't think wing of fullback suits him, he to often gets dominated when he has to mark a genuine classy outside back.
Yeah I like him at 10 where he's got guys on either side of him to help him out.

Today is the big day.

Will Lam get re-appointed? He was interviewed but is he seriously an option? Sure the blues had a nightmare with injuries but I also saw a lot of problems with coaching and a lot of basic errors in their setup and gameplans.

JK put his hand up and surely he must be the overall popular option to take the job. Who would be his assistants?

Kieran Crowley? outside chance, I think if not re-appoint Lam then surely JK is a more popular option

Vern Cotter? not in the running? He was spotted recently in NZ with Andy Dalton. You never know.

Some Combination of the above? Will Lam get a job as assistant?

boom! that quick. I had read it was going to be about 3pm

So JK is new head coach, going to be interesting to see who the assistants are. It just may be that that has been sorted already.

I think JK is a great choice and he's someone people will want to work with but who his assistants are will be critical

Funny old appointment. Had Lam been sacked a year ago I sincerely doubt that Kirwan would have gotten the job. His record with Italy was pretty average, and while he had some decent results with Japan it's very hard to judge if he was making full use of the resources at his disposal considering the lack of knowledge we have about Japanese rugby. But unfortunately for the Blues, the decision to keep Lam for an extra year saw both Gareth Anscombe and Rob Penney leave New Zealand for Ireland, meaning there is something of a dearth of top end couches in the ITM from which to promote. I guess this will be the real Litmus test for Kirwan with regard to how good a coach he actually is.

I think you mean mark anscombe

yes, though you could hardly sack Lam after he made the playoffs last year.

Mick Byrne is apparently an assistant coach. I think he was going to be working with the forwards.

Edit: Apparently he wants his assistant coach from his term in Japan, too.

Lams gone and you could definately see that one coming but a great former Auckland player and All Black great in JK is the man for the job. I was a huge fan of JK back in his day so Im so pleased to see him at the helm.

Hopefully the Blues will be back to their best next year, just hoping not too may players have made promises to move already

I think Vern Cotter would have been better, he's worked miracles over here for Clermont. New Zealand need to secure his services. He was declined as All Blacks coach and now Blues coach. That looked like his last way in so I'm guessing he isn't going to want to come back to New Zealand.

He's said in the past that he'd only leave Clermont for the ABs, I wouldn't take the Blues job either if I were him its just asking for trouble.

Hopefully the Blues will be back to their best next year, just hoping not too may players have made promises to move already

Actually I hope a few have, there's a bit of deadwood there that only Pat Lam seems to like - Tom McCartney, Chris Lowery, Ali Williams, Filo Paulo, Lauchie Munro, that big fullback from Manawatu whose name I forget and Daniel Braid is on the fringe of this catagory now as well. I'm hoping the longer coaching contract is a sign they're willing to roll into the next generation even if the results don't come straight away. Best time is now, while Kev, Tony, even Piri Weepu are still around to show them dirty tricks. I'd imagine No'nu will take off unfortunatly, doesn't seem like he's having the best of times.

Actually I hope a few have, there's a bit of deadwood there that only Pat Lam seems to like - Tom McCartney, Chris Lowery, Ali Williams, Filo Paulo, Lauchie Munro, that big fullback from Manawatu whose name I forget and Daniel Braid is on the fringe of this catagory now as well. I'm hoping the longer coaching contract is a sign they're willing to roll into the next generation even if the results don't come straight away. Best time is now, while Kev, Tony, even Piri Weepu are still around to show them dirty tricks. I'd imagine No'nu will take off unfortunatly, doesn't seem like he's having the best of times.

Hadleigh Parks? He's not too bad, but he's been playing out of position an awful lot. Most of the players mention are alright to have in the squad, just not in the starting lineup. That being said, I wouldn't be overly sad to see Ali Williams go. I think Daniel Braid hasn't been too bad either this season, other than Scott Waldrom I don't know any avalible openside that the Blues have to pinch, and with no Kaino next year I'd imagin Luke Braid will be either playing blindside or number eight.

I'm excited to see how Kirwan goes. It's very hard to judge how good a coach he'll be from the performances of his national teams. His coaching style didn't really seem o suit Italy and I thought he actually did really well in improving Japanese rugby, but his RWC results weren't what he would have hoped for (although he did better than Eddie Jones currently is, but it's still early for Jones). Either way I don't think he can do worse than Pat Lam. Pat Lam looked very emotional during the interviews and I got the impression he felt that the decision was unfair, but when it comes to coaching you're always going to be judged on your results and he really never looked like he was doing a good job with the Blues. Excuses aside I'm happy he's no longer the coach.

My starting Blues team for next year would look something like -
1. Tony Woodcock
2. Kevin Mealamu
3. Charlie Faumoina
4. Anthony Boric
5. Liaki Moli
6. Luke Braid
7. Daniel Braid
8. Matthew Luamanu
9. Alby Mathewson
10. Gareth Anscombe
11. Rene Ranger
12. Ma'a Nonu
13. Francis Saili
14. Sherwin Stowers
15. Charles Piatau

Still looks very weak in many areas. Ansombe doesn't look like he's living up to his promise. I think Luamanu would be a good number 8 if you had the braid brothers starting, as they are hard workers which would compensate for Luamanu's shortcomings in that area. If he doesn't get signed soon then he'll be off and they'll lose one of the most promising potential players the Blues region has. I hope Kirwan does a very good recruiting drive, as I think that's where Lam really messed up. People complain about Auckland losing players to league at a youth level, which is a fair point, but when the Blues sign Michael Hobbs on a long term contract while the much more promising (in my opinion) Ben Botica heads overseas.

I was referring to the good guys when I said it. Don't tell me any promising player had not consider the prospects of moving in the "dark days" of 2012

Dalton just said on the radio that Lachie Munro is leaving; and that Nonu is pretty much a lock to stay (apparently the exit clause on his contract only permits him to leave the Blues if he leaves All Black level - i.e. leaving the NZRU entirely).

Regarding Weepu though, they're still in talks with.

Dalton just said on the radio that Lachie Munro is leaving; and that Nonu is pretty much a lock to stay (apparently the exit clause on his contract only permits him to leave the Blues if he leaves All Black level - i.e. leaving the NZRU entirely).

Regarding Weepu though, they're still in talks with.

Weepu won't be going anywhere (that is my guess anyway)
The Canes won't have him back (even though he wants to go back)

The Blues should look to secure that undr 20's halfback from North harbour; Bryn Hall.

yeah it's obvious Weepu wants back to wellington but the Canes wont have him. can't blame them.

I honestly cant see Weepu being of great use to the blues either, and it's fricken bizare that he still gets selected for the AB's even as what? the 5th or 6th best halfback in NZ? Kicking a few goals against Argentina does not make him an automatic pick. He almost lost the final, shocker of a game.

Next years blues squad is going to be very interesting. I'm still really interested in the status of Anthony Boric, IMO he is a great player and underrated in my book. IMO he should be the one taking over from Thorn. he got a neck injury that was supposed to put him out for a few weeks and months later there has been no word other than somewhere I'd read that he may give the game away because of the injury. I think he will be a critical part of the blues nest season if he can come back.

I think Anscombe has the goods, he will be very good for the blues in time - will have learned a lot this year.

I honestly think the blues should raid the 7's squad. Tim Mickleson in particular or Frank Hali I believe would be better 15's outside backs than Stowers and Munro or even Parks who was solid - nothing more.

The Key really is not just what happens next year but the following years. The Blues and Auckland need to get together and make sure the best Schoolboy players stay in the 15 man game and don't get lured away by the Warriors and other NRL clubs. They need to strike a relationship with the School coaches and identify the top guys and get them into a development/scholarship program and secure them in Rugby. League will always suck players away from Union. There are only 5 super teams and 16 NRL teams that all have an Under 20's side that's semi professional - that's hard to compete with - the key is making sure the BEST stay in rugby.

Hadleigh Parks? He's not too bad, but he's been playing out of position an awful lot. Most of the players mention are alright to have in the squad, just not in the starting lineup. That being said, I wouldn't be overly sad to see Ali Williams go. I think Daniel Braid hasn't been too bad either this season, other than Scott Waldrom I don't know any avalible openside that the Blues have to pinch, and with no Kaino next year I'd imagin Luke Braid will be either playing blindside or number eight.

I'm excited to see how Kirwan goes. It's very hard to judge how good a coach he'll be from the performances of his national teams. His coaching style didn't really seem o suit Italy and I thought he actually did really well in improving Japanese rugby, but his RWC results weren't what he would have hoped for (although he did better than Eddie Jones currently is, but it's still early for Jones). Either way I don't think he can do worse than Pat Lam. Pat Lam looked very emotional during the interviews and I got the impression he felt that the decision was unfair, but when it comes to coaching you're always going to be judged on your results and he really never looked like he was doing a good job with the Blues. Excuses aside I'm happy he's no longer the coach.

My starting Blues team for next year would look something like -
1. Tony Woodcock
2. Kevin Mealamu
3. Charlie Faumoina
4. Anthony Boric
5. Liaki Moli
6. Luke Braid
7. Daniel Braid
8. Matthew Luamanu
9. Alby Mathewson
10. Gareth Anscombe
11. Rene Ranger
12. Ma'a Nonu
13. Francis Saili
14. Sherwin Stowers
15. Charles Piatau

Still looks very weak in many areas. Ansombe doesn't look like he's living up to his promise. I think Luamanu would be a good number 8 if you had the braid brothers starting, as they are hard workers which would compensate for Luamanu's shortcomings in that area. If he doesn't get signed soon then he'll be off and they'll lose one of the most promising potential players the Blues region has. I hope Kirwan does a very good recruiting drive, as I think that's where Lam really messed up. People complain about Auckland losing players to league at a youth level, which is a fair point, but when the Blues sign Michael Hobbs on a long term contract while the much more promising (in my opinion) Ben Botica heads overseas.

The Blues certainly have the potential of having strong team - they can't afford to have all there top players injured next season though! Unfortunately Matt Luamanu has already gone to Japan. He had the potential to be a superb number 8, but didn't even seem to have the motivation to reach that potential - his work-rate on the field was shocking, and according to all reports this mirrored his work-rate off the field. Assuming Boric is fit (which is far from certain at this stage) I'd have Luatua starting at 6 (otherwise I'd start him at lock), and probably have the Braids at 7 and 8. While I think Luke Braid is more effective at 7, I don't think the Blues really have many options at 8: Lowrey and Luamanu are gone, Saili has failed to deliver (and is rumored to be leaving), while Brad Mika was a joke. I wouldn't be surprised if Fritz Lee gets offered a Blues contract next season, and if he could recapture his 2011 form he could be a good option at 8.

Assuming Wulf is still with the Blues (which he should be as he is contracted for next season) I think he is the ideal person for them to have at fullback, as he brought some real stability to the Blues backline this season (when he wasn't injured). Between Ranger, Stowers, Piutau, Raikuna, and Moala they should have the wings well covered. There is no doubt they will have the squad to be very competitive next season, it is just a question as to whether they can put the performances out on the field!

Latest posts