• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Blues?!

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/super-rugby/6911432/NZRU-wants-Blues-coach-to-be-home-reared

all pretty interesting, finally got some clarity and can say that the Job is up for grabs but I don't know what Lam is doing. He's doing too much talking to the media.

Now he's sawing that he wants to come back as an assistant to the new coach? And that some of the players want him to stay?

maybe those players want Lam involved so they still have a chance of being picked. I mean who else would have Brad Mika? Pat's cuzzy...

Either way the key for the future of the blues is making sure the BEST schoolboy talent in the region is drafted into the blues and not the NRL. And the team itself needs to change it's culture and gameplan.

I like the idea of JK as head coach but he needs quality assistants, they will be just as important. And I personally wouldn't want Pat there as a link back to this year when the blues were at their worst.

Players seem to come and go, losing Jared Payne was a kick in the pants for the blues. I look at Stanley who's going... Why would he stick around. He's actually in good form this year but hes been shifted between 13, the wing and the bench and worse... His brother took off and is prob in his ear telling him how good things are away from the blues.

Going to take a while to create an environment the players want to be in (other than for pay) I think JK can do that.

Some of his signings have been pretty woeful, to go along with the selection policies. Who would offer Michael Hobbs a two year contract?! You've basically locked up a inside back spot from any up and coming talent next year to give it to a guy who is a journeyman at best. You can find players like Hobbs at any point in wider squads or in the draft, no need to sign him for two years. Anscombe's development has been stunted this year by Lam. That he looked way better in ITM cup with a bit of selection continuity inside and outside him speaks volumes I think.

I like JK for the job.

I also agree with Larksea that we ened to sign young talent - even if that means a struggling, but promising team. I think everyone should be able to tell a losing Blues team that is at least showing signs of promise, rather than the one now.

I'd chuck Matt Luamanu in the squad as well. Poor guy is the highest try scorer in ITM Cup for two years, for a #8...Heaps of x-factor even if he is unrefined.

Come on guys - you're asking a bit much to expect logic and planning from the Blues board!

I'd chuck Matt Luamanu in the squad as well. Poor guy is the highest try scorer in ITM Cup for two years, for a #8...Heaps of x-factor even if he is unrefined.

He must have been stoked when he saw brad mika in the blues squad while he got left out..

I know he has a lot of haters but Colin Bourke would have been better than Mika as well. Surely we will see Luamanu next year.

Securing the young talent in Auckland for the Blues is Key IMO, going to take a couple of years to get where they should be but it has to start now. Gotta look at the talent that has come through the junior warriors team over the last few years. A lot of that has come from Auckland Schoolboy rugby. The blues need someone going around all the top schoolboy rugby games in Auckland and picking the BEST guys and setting up a plan for them to be part of the blues in a couple of years.

Damn league for poaching players for their narrow game! *shakes fist* :lol:

[h=1]Andrew Van der Heijden called into Blues squad[/h]
Andrew van der Heijden of Auckland leaves the field with a broken arm during a ITM Cup match between Auckland and Tasman at Eden Park, Auckland, New Zealand. Photo by Sandra Mu /Getty Images
Andrew Van der Heijden has been called into the Blues squad to provide cover at lock for their last two remaining games.With Anthony Boric and Ali Williams both sidelined with injuries and Filo Paulo suspended until the end of the season, Blues head coach Pat Lam has called on the 28-year-old to fill the void.It is déjà vu for Van der Heijden who answered the SOS call from Lam in 2010 during a similar locking crisis and earned three caps for the franchise before heading overseas to join English Premiership side Newcastle Falcons.Van der Heijden has been back in the country barely a month after signing for the Auckland ITM Cup team and now suddenly finds himself thrust into Super Rugby action.He completed his first training session with the Blues yesterday, and said it was brilliant to be back.“It’s awesome to be back and it feels like home,†Van der Heijden said.“There are a couple of new faces but I know the majority of the guys so it’s quite good. I’m looking forward to getting stuck in and hopefully getting some game time.â€Injuries continue to torment Lam, with no less than 11 players ruled out of action including five key All Blacks.“It’s been the story of our season really right from day one and particularly at lock,†Lam lamented.“It’s really stretched us so we’ve called in Andrew Van der Heijden to join the squad.“He’s done it before and he did extremely well for us last time. He’s a hard working lock and he’s put on some size while he was over there so it’s good for him to join us.â€The Blues have a bye after the three week Test window, followed by matches against the Western Force (July 7,EdenPark) and the Brumbies (July 14,Canberra).Share this post:

Next season it's possible Fritz Lee and Luke Whitelock will both be looking for a new franchise. Neither of them will be seeing much game time with Chiefs and Crusaders, stuck behind Messam, Latimer, Waldrom, Cane, Thomson and Bradley and McCaw, Whitelock, Todd and Read respectively.

Lol, I'd say Fritz Lee is ahead of Waldrom at the Chiefs,.. poor waldrom, he's a darn beast when he's on the field, yet he can't even make the reserves, I wonder whats going on at the Chiefs.

Yeah but the Blues don't need another 7 :p

Waldrom is just unfortunate to have both Cane and Latimer in front of him. Latimer's been fantastic this season, and Cane is obviously the future for the Chiefs (and quite possibly NZ). Interestingly, the Chiefs now have three capped 7s :p

Edit: Actually Waldrom's never been capped, but played against Munster.

Yeah, gotta feel for Scott Waldrom. I actually have rated him as New Zealand's second best openside flanker from 2008-2011 behind Richie McCaw. Real shame. I wouldn't be upset if the Hurricanes bought him back for a season, but he'd still be behind Karl Lowe. The Highlanders could use him though! Option B - Go to England and make it into the test team. On a slightly serious note, he'd probably be the best genuine 'fetching' openside in England.

the reason Waldrum is not at the canes is because he had a fallout with Hammett when he was at the crusaders and Hammett was an assistant coach. I think it's unlikely he will go back to the canes, even less so as they have Lowe and Lam.

Going to be interesting to see what happes with Scooter. He's not likely to get much gametime at the chiefs unless there is an injury. I actually think the blues would be a good palce fior him. No doubt there is going to be a major cleanout at the blues and if Dan Braid goes (surely Luke Braid is one they will look to keep) he will at least have an elevated place in the squad. Only other place that may take him is the highlanders

the reason Waldrum is not at the canes is because he had a fallout with Hammett when he was at the crusaders and Hammett was an assistant coach. I think it's unlikely he will go back to the canes, even less so as they have Lowe and Lam.

Going to be interesting to see what happes with Scooter. He's not likely to get much gametime at the chiefs unless there is an injury. I actually think the blues would be a good palce fior him. No doubt there is going to be a major cleanout at the blues and if Dan Braid goes (surely Luke Braid is one they will look to keep) he will at least have an elevated place in the squad. Only other place that may take him is the highlanders

I'd have thought that would be the first option. John Hardie is a good player, but doesn't have the pilfering skills of your traditional openside flanker. Short of that there is no one, with Haskell (whos a 6/8) also leaving, I'd think they'd have a few spots open for him. a 6. Thomson, 7. Waldrom, 8. Manu would be pretty good.

If I was him I'd head overseas where he'd be appreciated more and get more money. Maybe join Waldrom at Leicester Tigers. Craig Newby has gotten on a bit and I'd rate Waldrom over Woods.

Last edited:
Rudi Wulf out for season, shoulder injury.
Reportedly on his way back to Toulon next season.

Rudi Wulf out for season, shoulder injury.
Reportedly on his way back to Toulon next season.

shame he's injured, had not heard that he was going back to france? Seems unlikely as he came back to NZ because his family could not settle over there...

I thought while he was injury free he looked great.

shame he's injured, had not heard that he was going back to france? Seems unlikely as he came back to NZ because his family could not settle over there...

I thought while he was injury free he looked great.

Apparently there was a report in the French press that he has signed a 2 year deal with Touon (http://www.planet-rugby.co.za/story/0,25883,16024_7858407,00.html). Personally I'm not convinced I believe this report though, as I understood he is still signed with the Blues for next season....

Latest posts