• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Blues?!

I dunno, he's had mixed results with Waikato, and that's when they've had most of their on and off All Blacks too...

This thread is ***led incorrectly. It should've been: The BLUES!

I'm not going to complain about the injuries - coz it happens for other teams.
I'm not going to complain about Ali Williams - coz I get tired after every match post 07.

All I'm going to say is that I have faith (sad but true) that we will be there again in the finals. I don't know how but we will.

Whatever the result - Pat Lam should be decided on this campain (yes spelt correctly).

Auckland/The Blues Region has the depth but there are alot of administrations/in house politics all of that petty minor stuff that happens everywhere.
Unless they go left field - there isn't anyone I could name right now (that's not Sir Graham Henry) that I would want coaching the Boys.

never say never I guess but they are in a nasty situation. And we all know what happened last year when they lost Toeava, after setting the pace in the early part of the comp they lost him and never looked the same threat. And later in the season they rallied a bit I think off the back of some big performances from Jerome Kaino no less.

Without both these guys a LOT falls on the shoulders of Weepu, Nonu, Dan Braid, Tony Woodcock, Boric & Williams and Kevin Mealamu

Fact is that even with two big names out they still have more star firepower than most teams.

Because of that if they don't do better than last year there is absolutely no reason to keep Lam. Something has to change because by now the gameplan and team culture should be set in stone and the squad should be at their best with the years he's had at the helm building his vision of the team.

The comparison to Foster on the previous page is kinda valid but Foster never had the talent in his squad Lam has and at least Foster coached a chiefs side that MADE THE FINAL

The fact that Graeme Henry constantly pulled most of the Blues forward pack into the All Blacks and produced the best squad in international Rugby year in year out is a slap in the face for Pat Lam.

Agree Larksea.

Its even evident when Henry spends a week with the Blues team (as he did when he was ABs coach). I don't know if there is any stat on this, but I remember from my Super Rugby tippng comp that I would always pick the Blues the week Henry had worked with them, and without fail, they would win (at least, I cannot remember them not winning when Henry had input)

Weepu is killing you guys. He is fat and out of shape (which is ridiculous in the first place, your job is to be in good shape), he single handedly lost the game on the weekend by
A. missing that tackle on Cory Jane to let in the try
B.kicking the ball away with a minute to go for no apparent reason other than to give the Canes a chance to have another attack
C. missing the tackle on Barrett in the last try.

Lam should be playing Mathewson and Anscombe week in week out. It's like since he has Weepu there he is obligated to play him. I wish a coach would just drop him and not pick him again until he passes a fitness test. He is great player when fit, but when he is fat he is useless, like now. Painfully slow. He must have the worst diet to counteract all the training these guys are doing. I'd make him run laps until he lost 10kg if I was Lam.

weepu is really frustrating, such a liability most of the time but when he's fit I think he's the best 9 in the world. I know Ted saw him as critical to the All Blacks but needed to basically babysit him through fitness and training.

Things getting worse for the blues with Talk that as many as 12 of their top players will be gone next season

It's a shame Mark Anscombe is out of the picture I kinda saw him as the natural successor to tale over from Lam.

Blues need to Move hard to secure the services of some key players and a coach.

Rob Penney would be top of my list.

As for the players, They desperately need to keep these guys IMO

Charlie Faumaina
Gareth Anscombe
Sean Polwart
Luke Braid
Moli
Boric
Benson Stanley
Rene Ranger
Rudi Wulf

And recruit young talent well to rebuild. Kinda expect a couple of the old heads to stay, Mealamu and Woodcock don't seem like the kind of guys that would vanish off overseas or move to another super team. But Weepu, Nonu, Dan Braid and Ali Williams may Vanish next year and obviously kaino will be gone. mathewson hasn't looked great and I think he could be gone too.

They somehow need to unearth some talent in the Blues area, there surely must be some around!? Without doing the numbers there just doesn't seem to be the young tallent comming through to the blues as there is in the other regions.

aparently Toeava has signed to play in Japan as well?

I havn't really raised him yet but I can't help but feel his injury problems cast serious doubt over him playing top rugby. He had major surgery to fix the issue and over a year later it's no better - maybe worse.

Maybe the best thing wold be for him to somehow squeze some rugby in and play for the highest bidder he can to secure $$$ for life beyond rugby.

Lam is killing the blues

Pat lam has to be the worst super rugby coach I have ever seen. Each week the blues are worse and don't seem to work on any of there issues at trainings because the same issues happen every game. I would love to be there to listen to what his gameplan is and how the are training to execute it, because the crap that he is dishing out has ruined what should be an unstoppable team.When you watch the highlanders or the chiefs who have amazing coaches, it is very obvious what they are doing to put pressure on the opposition and win their games.
It's going to take a few years to fix this rabble that pat lam has created because the next coach won't have the superstars that lam has. Pam and his management have ruined this team and it is soo hard being a longtime fan watching this terrible team play.

Lam is killing the blues

Pat lam has to be the worst super rugby coach I have ever seen. Each week the blues are worse and don't seem to work on any of there issues at trainings because the same issues happen every game. I would love to be there to listen to what his gameplan is and how the are training to execute it, because the crap that he is dishing out has ruined what should be an unstoppable team.When you watch the highlanders or the chiefs who have amazing coaches, it is very obvious what they are doing to put pressure on the opposition and win their games.
It's going to take a few years to fix this rabble that pat lam has created because the next coach won't have the superstars that lam has. Pam and his management have ruined this team and it is soo hard being a longtime fan watching this terrible team play.

many super sides when they go through Bad times it's not always coaching. But the way the blues are playing, the problems they have it's about as clear as I have ever seen that the team has coaching and management issues.

There are 5 jobs in NZ for super coaches and if they are not doing a good job they need to go because there are good coaches around who can do the job.

I honestly think they need to change coaches now it's that clear.

But who would want to take over this team? They are a total disaster...

many super sides when they go through Bad times it's not always coaching. But the way the blues are playing, the problems they have it's about as clear as I have ever seen that the team has coaching and management issues.

There are 5 jobs in NZ for super coaches and if they are not doing a good job they need to go because there are good coaches around who can do the job.

I honestly think they need to change coaches now it's that clear.

But who would want to take over this team? They are a total disaster...

Someone mentioned Kirwan. Not a bad idea in my opinion.

Yeah I did in the other thread. I've got no idea what JK is up too but he would be a good step up, key would be to get him a really good forward coach and even get some imput from Ted. Blues have always been successful when Ted has been involved. Really need someone like him to mentor who ever gets the job.

Yeah I did in the other thread. I've got no idea what JK is up too but he would be a good step up, key would be to get him a really good forward coach and even get some imput from Ted. Blues have always been successful when Ted has been involved. Really need someone like him to mentor who ever gets the job.

Not a fan of Kirwan. His answer to development at INTL level was to introduce more ex-pats.

But there's not much else going round - we've gotten rid of Anscombe (snr).

I'm keeping faith in the boys. It's a longshot and I've think I've already said, short of a S15 ***le it should be Lam's final blues season. Some of the Handling/Decision Making/Attacking Gameplan shows that Shane Howarth wasn't a total Blues failure.

I don't think Mid-season changes are beneficial for the long term. They don't really have too many options.

The clear attitude & confidence difference between the Blues players & the Hurricanes players (let alone every other NZ team) is staggering - it's bordering on tragic.

The only way to get out of this hole is too start climbing.

Now I'm not a Blues fan and never will be but this racism stuff going around is seriously ridiculous. The reason the Blues aren't winning is simple, they're not playing well, they're not finishing off games and so on. Some people seriously need to get out of their basements and see the light. The race of players has nothing to do with whether or not a team wins games and I don't know why people would think it would.

Disgraceful.

Now I'm not a Blues fan and never will be but this racism stuff going around is seriously ridiculous. The reason the Blues aren't winning is simple, they're not playing well, they're not finishing off games and so on. Some people seriously need to get out of their basements and see the light. The race of players has nothing to do with whether or not a team wins games and I don't know why people would think it would.

Disgraceful.

Absolutely agreed. I dont know why people come to this conclusion that they have to send racist emails. Dumb, just dumb.

Unfounded racists remarks should make him even more determined to prove everyone wrong.
One do not argue with racists, trust me in SA we have a masters on it...

from www.superrugby.co.za

The New Zealand Rugby Union has guaranteed Auckland Blues coach Pat Lam he will stay in the job throughout this Super Rugby season despite a disappointing start.
The under-fire Lam broke down at a press conference on Wednesday when he told reporters of racial comments posted by the team's critics on social networking sites.
The former All Blacks and Samoa rugby international described as "deeply offensive" comments - some of which were posted on the Blues' own website- which drew attention to the Pacific Island and Maori heritage of the coach and many players.
NZRU chief executive Steve Tew said Thursday the New Zealand Rugby Union has "zero tolerance for any racial abuse or activity."
"As a New Zealander, because I don't think this is only a rugby issue, I'm appalled," Tew said.
"I find the whole ability by people to hide behind social media and be faceless and to criticise people personally and to bring race and religion or anything else into it, is just a very disappointing part of our country."
Lam has an option to extend his Blues contract by a year after this season and Tew said his position would not be reviewed before the end of the current season.
"This is a private employment matter so I can't really say much more than that," he said. "I imagine Pat is only wanting to focus on what is ahead of him today and tomorrow and Saturday."
In New Zealand, all Super 15 coaches and players are centrally contracted to the New Zealand Rugby Union. Individual teams can select players and appoint coaches but they are contracted and paid by the national union.
The Blues will have input on Lam's future but the final decision on his reappointment after this season rests with the NZRU.

Latest posts